Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

people criticise his playing but it'd be boring if he was just steamrolling everything. the stakes are higher this way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

He's not going to take out the elite 4 unless there's a rocky-style training montage where he grinds his dudes up like twenty levels each

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
I don't think they have a thread so I'll just put it here: Friends at the Table has really snuck up on me and has become a must-listen.

I first tried it out when I realized I was out of TAZ to listen to, and coming from the McElroys with their goofs:content ratio I was initially pretty so-so about it. The episode length, initial sound quality issues and hesitant gameplay slowed it down but I stuck with it. I'm partway through their Marielda stuff (a kind of prequel to the first season, and I skipped the sci-fi arc) and realized I am extremely into it now. Not sure if it's the particular combination of players, having a comparatively established fiction to work with or the premise and game system but I am really eager to see what happens next. Austin Walker is a shockingly good DM.

Serf
May 5, 2011

poor life choice posted:

I don't think they have a thread so I'll just put it here: Friends at the Table has really snuck up on me and has become a must-listen.

I first tried it out when I realized I was out of TAZ to listen to, and coming from the McElroys with their goofs:content ratio I was initially pretty so-so about it. The episode length, initial sound quality issues and hesitant gameplay slowed it down but I stuck with it. I'm partway through their Marielda stuff (a kind of prequel to the first season, and I skipped the sci-fi arc) and realized I am extremely into it now. Not sure if it's the particular combination of players, having a comparatively established fiction to work with or the premise and game system but I am really eager to see what happens next. Austin Walker is a shockingly good DM.

If you're at all interested in the genre, I'd listen to the COUNTER/Weight arc, which is really good. To me, that is where they hit their stride as a group. And once they change systems it gets a lot better too. The Faction Game segments are really hit or miss, so you might be able to skip those. Overall it was my favorite thing they've done.

drat I'd like to see that proposed panel with Griffin and Austin talking about GMing games because they kick rear end at it.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006

Serf posted:

If you're at all interested in the genre, I'd listen to the COUNTER/Weight arc, which is really good. To me, that is where they hit their stride as a group. And once they change systems it gets a lot better too. The Faction Game segments are really hit or miss, so you might be able to skip those. Overall it was my favorite thing they've done.

drat I'd like to see that proposed panel with Griffin and Austin talking about GMing games because they kick rear end at it.

I definitely mean to come back to it! I want to get current with the Hieron content and will then loop back.

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!
Man, that Nuzlocke brought the tears with Ms. Beakman but I laughed pretty hard at FinalFoongus

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
When the gently caress does Til Death Do Us Blart 2016 drop?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Thanksgiving day, every year, until the end of time.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Which luckily for them is coming very soon

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I forgot to watch Mall Paul Cop Blart 2 last year and now I have no way to get it in my hands without paying full price for it. If only iTunes would let me rent it!

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

poor life choice posted:

Okay so Friends at The Table and Max's Minions irritate me for the same reason and is the reason I haven't gotten past the first few episodes:

Not only is the audio quality loving terrible (one guy is WAAAAY too loud and shouts everything he says. One lady is so demure that you can't hear a thing she says which leads the guys to walk all over her ideas) and that they don't talk like they are on a show. They talk like a bunch of obnoxious nerds that all want to be THE JOKES GUY.

If Table gets better, I will tough it out but right now I cannot stand it.

ChumpsForChange
Jun 2, 2011

Inzombiac posted:

Okay so Friends at The Table and Max's Minions irritate me for the same reason and is the reason I haven't gotten past the first few episodes:

Not only is the audio quality loving terrible (one guy is WAAAAY too loud and shouts everything he says. One lady is so demure that you can't hear a thing she says which leads the guys to walk all over her ideas) and that they don't talk like they are on a show. They talk like a bunch of obnoxious nerds that all want to be THE JOKES GUY.

If Table gets better, I will tough it out but right now I cannot stand it.

I would say that FATT only has one joke guy and they need him badly because the other ones can be up their asses a lot. It strikes a good balance. And the audio quality improves at some point but is almost unlistenable in the early goings.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Can I skip some? Like where could I slide in?

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be

Inzombiac posted:

Can I skip some? Like where could I slide in?

You can skip to season 2, which is COUNTER/Weight, a sick sci-fi story

ChumpsForChange
Jun 2, 2011
You could start at Counter/Weight, the sci-fi second season. The audio quality is good throughout it. I recently went through the first season and don't remember the audio getting good until pretty deep into it. Here's a good write up on getting in to it and an episode on where to start. I think they're doing a recap of season one before doing their next arc now, but I'm not caught up yet.

El Padrino
Dec 24, 2005

No es nada personal, solo negocios.

General Dog posted:

When the gently caress does Til Death Do Us Blart 2016 drop?

About 1 hour ago, actually.

And Travis seems to be into Bad Parenting. Or maybe grooming the eventual heir of a spot in this terrible thing?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

ChumpsForChange posted:

You could start at Counter/Weight, the sci-fi second season. The audio quality is good throughout it. I recently went through the first season and don't remember the audio getting good until pretty deep into it. Here's a good write up on getting in to it and an episode on where to start. I think they're doing a recap of season one before doing their next arc now, but I'm not caught up yet.

Thanks. I cannot abide horrible audio quality in what amounts to a radio play.

I have a couple of podcast ideas floating around and the first order of business is buying quality mics and learning my editing software. gently caress.

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

Well, that ended suddenly. Otherwise, pretty good!

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Inzombiac posted:

They talk like a bunch of obnoxious nerds that all want to be THE JOKES GUY.

he says, in the thread for the McElroy brothers

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

Alaois posted:

he says, in the thread for the McElroy brothers

There's a wide gulf between wanting to be the Jokes Guy and actually being funny a lot of people on a lot of podcasts never quite cross.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

ChumpsForChange posted:

You could start at Counter/Weight, the sci-fi second season. The audio quality is good throughout it.

This isn't true. As of the first 2-3 episodes of season 2 it's pretty rotten, particularly the mixing. I found it to be the wrong side of unlistenable.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Poor Miserable Gurgi posted:

There's a wide gulf between wanting to be the Jokes Guy and actually being funny a lot of people on a lot of podcasts never quite cross.

okay then I'll just say it

Justin is the only funny McElroy.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Alaois posted:

Never has such a wrong thing been posted.

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
All the McElroys are funny and beautiful.

Namaste.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Alaois posted:

Justin is the best storyteller of the three (red lobster, the inflatable snowman)

Griffin has the best goof ideas, and his rants are untouchable (bug gym, tybee island)

Travis is incredibly quick. He doesn't always hit, but when he does it can break the whole room. As middlest brother, he can keep bits going by being the punching bag.

It's a precious ecosystem, and each brother plays their part. Note how, despite their success, it's been months (years?) since they've had a special guest.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

The Modern Leper posted:

Justin is the best storyteller of the three (red lobster, the inflatable snowman)

what episode is this

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Raserys posted:

what episode is this

The latest episode.

Beekeeping and You
Sep 27, 2011

The Modern Leper posted:

Griffin has the best goof ideas, and his rants are untouchable (bug gym, tybee island)

Travis is incredibly quick. He doesn't always hit, but when he does it can break the whole room. As middlest brother, he can keep bits going by being the punching bag.

It's a precious ecosystem, and each brother plays their part. Note how, despite their success, it's been months (years?) since they've had a special guest.

I think of all the brothers Travis, to me, is "one i'd most like to actually hang out with." He's just a nice dude.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Beekeeping and You posted:

I think of all the brothers Travis, to me, is "one i'd most like to actually hang out with." He's just a nice dude.

Definitely. Travis is just a just a mensch, which is incredibly important.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

All of them are Joke Guys but they also all have the timing and sense to back off and let each other be the Joke Guy. From listening to the podcasts that only feature one McElroy I can say that I find Griffins the funniest, but that might be because I'm also gamer trash and Nick is really good too.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

Alaois posted:

I think I just went blind for a second, I don't know what I just read. Every time I try to read this post I just get a loud buzzing in my head and something makes me avert my gaze. It's like...the anti-matter of truth

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

the wise gem bowed her head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference between good & bad quartzes. you imbecile. you fucking moron"

All the bros. are funny, their dad is funny, their wives are funny. I bet their kids are gonna be funny too. Can't wait for My Cousin, My Cousin and Me

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
https://twitter.com/travismcelroy/status/801788144848961536

https://twitter.com/griffinmcelroy/status/801821208828375040

Travis is truly the middlest brother. :smith:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

The Modern Leper posted:

Pretty much, one reason their shows are so strong is they each kinda have a 'role' they do well instead of three people rushing to do the exact same joke.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
There's a Thomas the Tank Engine balloon in the parade and all I could think of was Touch the Skyrim

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

As an only child but the oldest grandson, I had to make do with middling the gently caress out of my cousins. Let's hope lightning strikes twice with the McElcousins

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
Helping with a ceiling fan is about the nicest thing you can do for a person, and fried chicken is the best dinner you can make for someone.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Reminder that they are not just brothers, but they are our oldest, middlest and sweet baby brothers. It's really wrong to rank your family, guys.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Griffin may be the best at rants and quick goofs but he's sometimes insufferable when he interrupts people to he can get to the joke faster.
OR when he does it because he thinks his joke is going to be better.

We get it, you're very funny but other people are funny too.

I have the same issue with Elliot in The Flop House. He's the smartest and the funniest but he can't let anyone else have the spotlight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Inzombiac posted:

Griffin may be the best at rants and quick goofs but he's sometimes insufferable when he interrupts people to he can get to the joke faster.
OR when he does it because he thinks his joke is going to be better.

We get it, you're very funny but other people are funny too.

I have the same issue with Elliot in The Flop House. He's the smartest and the funniest but he can't let anyone else have the spotlight.

the difference is that elliot is actually funny and not incredibly grating and trying to shove stupid vocabulary into every joke he makes

i tried relistening to the McElroy-run episode of the flophouse, it's excruciating

Alaois fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Nov 24, 2016