Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Learned some bad habits from my Dwarf campaigns, I'm trying to get through my first Empire campaign and I'm having trouble adapting my tactics. How do I get my frontline to hold longer than 60 seconds?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
What are you fighting?

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

Triskelli posted:

Learned some bad habits from my Dwarf campaigns, I'm trying to get through my first Empire campaign and I'm having trouble adapting my tactics. How do I get my frontline to hold longer than 60 seconds?

Tried the leadership tech from the barracks, the spearmen/swordsmen buffs in the leadership branch and leadership auras?

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Enfilade fire so you break their line faster?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Triskelli posted:

Remember that unlike Dwarves, a lot of your meat-and-potatoes infantry aren't armored, so they get chewed up a lot faster particularly by numerous/fast attacking opponents. Having a Lord around/morale abilities are a lot more useful for Empire in my opinion.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Triskelli posted:

Your frontlines arent like dwarves with high defence and armor - they wont last in sustained combat. If you're going to flank do so quickly with calvary.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

If you are fighting humans you want swordsman with shields not spearmen (Spearmen with shields are generally not worth the price). Free company can be invaluable for coming around the side and shooting away whatever you are engagings morale.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Triskelli posted:

You get the enemy's frontline to break in 50s. If you can use cavalry, cleverly positioned infantry, or muskets / militia to flank or surround a weak edge of the enemy's line, you can get that to start Retreating /crumbling. Then you can start moving the guys who were in the front edge, to get local superiority at what is now the new edge, etc... The goal is to roll up the whole enemy line. Chain-charging heavy Calvary is the best for this and imo the best thing the empire has going for them. Light ranged cavalry can help shoot from behind or the side and then chase pesky retreating enemies so they don't come back.

Also, try keeping a unit or two in reserve to shore up trouble spots. Dudes like halberds who don't have Shields are great for this, since they have specialized targets and don't absorb missile fire as well.

Remember that as empire, you have access to Captains and Warrior Priests, both excellent frontline warriors who can shore up your leadership. They also are very effective at ganging up on and quickly dispatching enemy lords.

Eela6 fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Nov 24, 2016

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
Also revealed in the stream is that the WE mini campaign will be multiplayer and you'll be able to play the non-WE factions as well (all or just some of them they didn't say). The WE are also two separate factions, so you can play a co-op campaign with both players being WE, in which case Orion gets the oak.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013
So, Morghur is going to be a FLC Legendary Lord for the Beastmen, I hear he has the ability to turn enemy units into Chaos Spawn (WTF? If that's true that sounds pretty drat powerful...), has a starting location in Nordland, and this is his concept art

Why do those skulls seem so tiny? Is he that huge, or are they baby skulls? Because baby skulls seem appropriate for such a monster.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Stephen9001 fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Nov 24, 2016

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

Stephen9001 posted:

So, Morghur is going to be a FLC Legendary Lord for the Beastmen, I hear he has the ability to turn enemy units into Chaos Spawn (WTF? If that's true that sound pretty drat powerful...),

he shows them the codex page from 40k :unsmigghh:

pnutz fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Nov 24, 2016

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

He is supposed to turn weakened units into Chaos Spawn, so probably similar to that ability featured in the Carsten Ring quest battle which targetted units under 20% health, I think?

Still crazy powerful, since Chaos Spawn are such heavy hitters and they will start stuck-in in the middle of the fight.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Stephen9001 posted:

So, Morghur is going to be a FLC Legendary Lord for the Beastmen, I hear he has the ability to turn enemy units into Chaos Spawn (WTF? If that's true that sound pretty drat powerful...), has a starting location in Nordland, and this is his concept art

Why do those skulls seem so tiny? Is he that huge, or are they baby skulls? Because baby skulls seem appropriate for such a monster.

Morghur's signature ability in TT is being able to passively turn nearby units into Chaos Spawn. From what they said about it, I think it might work like Leopald's ability in Vlad's ring quest battle, basically able to transform a nearly dead unit into Chaos Spawn. He will no doubt also have a bunch of skills that boost Spawn in some way.

His other rules in TT are basically all aura based, (Adjacent units take damage, Spells and projectiles from outside the reach of his aura fizzle out and disappear, ect) so CA can potentially give him various abilities based on that.

That was in 7th edition though, when he was a Hero character. Looking back at 6th when he was a Lord choice...He had a lot more stuff, actually.

Any army under his command was considered an unruly horde with no general, and he moved around randomly, but marks of chaos could be freely given and woods became so tainted that moving through them forced fear checks and potentially damage from the haunted woods. His aura abilities were pretty much the same but stronger. He was unbreakable and immune to psychology and had a special rally cry.

He also had two magic items, his stylish skull-weave dreads invoke terror and make him harder to hit in melee, and his special bray staff could potentially cause miscasting wizards to turn into Chaos Spawn under his control, and gave him dispel dice, which would probably translate to a greatly increased miscast chance+reduced winds for enemy wizards. (Miscast spells having a chance to summon more spawn would be hilarious, though)

The older version of Morghur is pretty same the same dude with more stuff so CA will probably pull more from that.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
http://wiki.totalwar.com/w/Durthu

I like that Orion and Durthu look like they have completely different skill trees, since it means that Glade Lords and Ancient Treeman should likewise have very divergent builds instead of generic lords for the same race having mostly the same skills available.

Bonus, Dorthu video:

https://www.facebook.com/TotalWar/videos/1245785872163277/

madmac fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Nov 24, 2016

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Durthu seems like a prime-candidate to turn Norsca into an Amber mine.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

ZearothK posted:

Durthu seems like a prime-candidate to turn Norsca into an Amber mine.

And make the marauders pay for it!

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe
One thing im more than a bit concerned about regarding the wood elves is, they mention how they dont have any walled settlements, how it doesn't fit their style etc which is fair enough but do they not realise that if there is no such thing as a "wall" that makes the AI unable to attack immediately without having to siege atleast a couple of turns then keeping all those satelite settlements is going to be a horrible chore?

Something the AI is VERY GOOD at doing is attacking unwalled, soft target settlements which is why on hard and very hard it becomes paramount that you wall your stuff up asap.

While i love the idea of Amber, if i can't protect my investment with a "wall" like upgrade, then it sounds like its going be a constant source of aggravation.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Presumably your forces can inflict outsized casualties on a force attacking your heavily forested settlement. 360 no scope of movement and shoot garrison archers lol

You can probably build garrison buildings too, so you can have more dudes and maybe some other buffs

Rygar201 fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Nov 24, 2016

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I'd imagine their settlements are covered in trees so good luck seeing the elves before half your troops have been shot to death and there's dryads shredding all your artillery..

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
The ai general escapes the carnage and returns home to find out 20 years have passed and the age of sigmar has begun.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe
Its not the battlemap stuff im concerned about, its the shenanigans that the AI does on the campaign map that worries me. They will, given half a chance, just rampage through your stuff capturing, sacking or razing nonstop while using force march while you play catch up. There are tools to help you stop this, agents, ambush stance etc that work sort of well but a wall is a wall is a wall and makes the AI stop for a moment so it cannot just bring a massive stack and annhilite your crummy little garrison force in one single turn.

Also, a sidenote, i saw the AI flat out cheat recently which pisses me off. The AI, Dwarfs, razed one of my cities as Wurrzag and then force marched away, even though if you do the very same thing it will just result in you entering force march without any movement range at all, what the hell AI?

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Sounds like a bug

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
You can raze, then force march away if you do it at the beginning of a turn.

Wood elves don't really have a lot of infrastructure anyway, so getting stuff razed by opponents is going to be less harsh.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

Fangz posted:

You can raze, then force march away if you do it at the beginning of a turn.

Wood elves don't really have a lot of infrastructure anyway, so getting stuff razed by opponents is going to be less harsh.

No but losing your Amber might be critical, which is the point im making there. Oh and you know, their main settlement.. POOF 10 slots gone in one stroke and theres nothing you can do about it because you may not even be near your capital.

I am relatively certain the AI had to move a distance before it moved in, razed, and then force marched away but not certain enough so ill go with that as an explanation.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Yeah, but the inability to stop or punish invaders is going to really suck for the "skirmisher" faction. Just making it so that you can't enter forced march after you've moved during the turn would help a lot. At least you could catch them after they razed your poo poo then.

E:. I'm pretty sure razing sets my movement to 0, but sacking doesn't.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
Apparently the Wood Elf achievements have already been added to Steam, nothing there that isn't super-basic though.

Also that video clip of Durthu makes me realize that dude is almost Godzilla size, stomping my way across the old world with an army of giant tree monsters is going to be stupidly fun.

quote:

Its not the battlemap stuff im concerned about, its the shenanigans that the AI does on the campaign map that worries me. They will, given half a chance, just rampage through your stuff capturing, sacking or razing nonstop while using force march while you play catch up. There are tools to help you stop this, agents, ambush stance etc that work sort of well but a wall is a wall is a wall and makes the AI stop for a moment so it cannot just bring a massive stack and annhilite your crummy little garrison force in one single turn.

This was always a given with the Wood Elves single building settlements outside of Athel Loren. It's potentially a huge source of aggravation but as the biggest wall-whore of them all I kind of look forward to trying to figure out a way to make it work.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Ravenfood posted:

E:. I'm pretty sure razing sets my movement to 0, but sacking doesn't.

Trust me, I did it all the time as Chaos.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Gejnor posted:

No but losing your Amber might be critical, which is the point im making there. Oh and you know, their main settlement.. POOF 10 slots gone in one stroke and theres nothing you can do about it because you may not even be near your capital.

I'm sure the Oak of Ages is going to have a beastly garrison. Also lol if you let the enemy roll up on your capitol, deep the in the loving woods, without doing something about it.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

You also get Amber from alliances, so making some allies to serve as ablative armor should help.

Their side of the map is relatively insulated from the Norscans, who are the most aggravating source of sack/raze and run, so I don't think it will be that bad, and Athel Loren settlements probably have some pretty big garrisons, plus the forest attrition.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Does anyone have good stream notes? I don't have the time to watch it

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

Rygar201 posted:

I'm sure the Oak of Ages is going to have a beastly garrison. Also lol if you let the enemy roll up on your capitol, deep the in the loving woods, without doing something about it.

Have you never had that fun situation where say, a 20 greenskin stack + a following waagh army pops up from outside the fog of war via underway right next to your stuff then?

Oh we have Skarsnik right next to us you say? Random Beastmen packs? Hmm i wonder what will happen the second i leave the woods on very hard.

ZearothK posted:

plus the forest attrition.

Guess what underway/beastpath stance ignores! (not that the AI actually takes any attrition..)

Like i get it, and i am kinda looking forward to tackling it, but i really hope there is something that stops the AI being able to deathball through your stuff.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Rygar201 posted:

Does anyone have good stream notes? I don't have the time to watch it

Eh, cliff notes:

1. Beastmen get Harpies as a new unit and Morghur as a new LL. He starts in Nordland and can turn units (details unknown) into Chaos Spawn.

2. The minicampaign has a really pretty map with permanent seasonal effects in different regions and lets you fight against a whole bunch of different races, unlike Eye for the Eye. Can also be played Co-Op or Head to Head.

3. Unicorn mounts are in, Spellsingers have really kickass combat animations that have them fighting with magic instead of trying to bonk someone with a stick.

4. Wardancers are cool, haven't decided yet how many of their shadowdances (stances in TT) will be active vs passive abilities.

5. Waystalker heroes are ridiculously cool and have homing shots among other things.

6. They didn't do the Sisters of Twilight as a LL because it would be hard. No other content planned for WEs at this time but they might revisit them at some point.

7. Amber is pretty much like food, you get one amber for every settlement you or your allies own, buying units with amber is basically upkeep, technology purchases with amber are permanent. Running into negative amber is really bad, don't do it. Quest Battles also give you amber.

8. Durthu gets all the monster units as well as trees. Vampires will get at least one unit with Lore of Shadows.

madmac fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Nov 24, 2016

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I think that's the risk you run; if you fully utilize your amber at all times you leave yourself vulnerable to sniping

Looking forward to the new beastmen start; I like doing Dark Knight runs as them where I just beat the poo poo out of the undead and orcs alll "No need to thank me citizen" so just wiping norsca is going to be great.

Also, The Uncivilized North mod, it's not bad but it's a little weird. Playing as a norscan the initial chaos invasion starts in like two turns. Playing as anyone else, the norscans stay bottled up fighting each other all game but then when chaos invades they all ally and get huge stacks and it's pretty brutal, everything north of the river talabec has been burned to the ground

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Gejnor posted:

Have you never had that fun situation where say, a 20 greenskin stack + a following waagh army pops up from outside the fog of war via underway right next to your stuff then?

No, never. Because I used my agents to scout out my enemies.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Oh no, my capital may not be safe!

What is this, a war game or something?

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

Fangz posted:

No, never. Because I used my agents to scout out my enemies.

Yay for you then, since im either a.) not able to get agents yet depending on what faction i am or b.) off using my agents elsewhere, my resources being tied up in other ventures.

I hope agents are easy to get as WE's, seeing how good they seem to be.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Gejnor posted:

Yay for you then, since im either a.) not able to get agents yet depending on what faction i am or b.) off using my agents elsewhere, my resources being tied up in other ventures.

I hope agents are easy to get as WE's, seeing how good they seem to be.

Get gud scrub /s

I really do hope WElf agents are available early and boss. WElf heroes were bad rear end in sixth edition. Altered Kindreds especially!

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
:siren:Durthu's army suffer no attrition:siren:

I can definitely see people having fun with this.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Deified Data posted:

:siren:Durthu's army suffer no attrition:siren:

I can definitely see people having fun with this.

have the all marauder horsemen norscans finally met their match?

(I'm going to kill them all)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blindwoozie
Mar 1, 2008

Durthu is the ultimate gently caress You to all Norscan tribes, I can't wait.

• Locked thread