Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Kelemvor may as well be, but he's not down with undead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

mango sentinel posted:

Kelemvor may as well be, but he's not down with undead.

Well to exact he was originally just plain good. Then he realized he was being too nice. To the point people were throwing their lives away, because they knew he would reward them. So he decided to go on a harsher stance on the grounds that no one should love death and seek it out. Turning his afterlife from a place of rewards for the valiant and punishment for the cowardly, to a place none would find paradise, but nor would they find torment. Simply others with outlooks like their own.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Nov 24, 2016

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
Yahweh created a son and watched after him for like 32 years before turning the kid into a Lich. Seems to fit the bill.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Did we ever find the phylactary?

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Skellybones posted:

Did we ever find the phylactary?

Yeah, but the chest was trapped.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Mendrian posted:

XP is pretty tedious and leads to bad incentives.

I ran a Castlevania game in 4e once and actually awarded XP after every encounter but that was a very specific kind of game, which included mid-game leveling.

Old-old-school D&D's way of using XP was kind of cool, where XP was directly based on the amount of treasure you got out of the dungeon, whether or not you actually fought anything in the way. It did a lot to incentivize and reward the specific playstyle the original text was going for, where you only fought if you really had to, actually killing things was incidental to incapacitating or escaping enemies, and good logistics were just as important as anything else.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Roadie posted:

Old-old-school D&D's way of using XP was kind of cool, where XP was directly based on the amount of treasure you got out of the dungeon, whether or not you actually fought anything in the way. It did a lot to incentivize and reward the specific playstyle the original text was going for, where you only fought if you really had to, actually killing things was incidental to incapacitating or escaping enemies, and good logistics were just as important as anything else.

"XP is pretty tedious and leads to bad incentives" isn't necessarily true, but XP that's simple enough to use without being tedious does tend to incentivise one style of play to the exclusion of other styles.

1xp = 1gp is great if everyone's about looting dungeons, but it stops working pretty fast when you try to tell an epic fantasy story. XP for monsters defeated works OK in combat-heavy games (includng in dungeons), but starts to fall apart as soon as you want something other than "kill everything" as a goal.

Splitting up XP rewards into class-based lists should work pretty well if the lists are good (eg, rogues get xp for treasure, warriors get xp for fighting, etc), but I've never seen a good set of lists, and the ones that existed for 2e are weird and tedious to the point where a hell of a lot of people who played 2e are surprised to hear about them because hardly anyone could be arsed actually using them.

It just seems like a way better idea to go "you level up when X is defeated/completed/arrived at/defended" - that is, at the ends of adventures or sections or subplots or whatever.

Unless you're going for an old school dungeon crawl, in which case by all means give out 1xp per gp of treasure extracted. From my experience, a good way to do that is to figure out what amount of xp the party needs to get to character level 2, and then stock level 1 of the dungeon with 125% of that number worth of treasure. Enough should be hidden in 4-5 secret areas that they're only about 90% of the way there without finding any secrets. (So, they need 10,000xp. Level 1 has 12,500xp on it, but 3,500xp of that is in hidden or secret areas). Do each level with the same method.

This gives them several approaches. They can kill and loot everything and proceed to the next level after stumbling on a secret or two. They can try to find all the secrets and avoid some or most of the fights. Or they can try to kill everything and find everything and open everything and sure, they get a little bit ahead like that but that's one of the reasons xp progression isn't linear in the first place.

If you do it like this, it's fine to straight up tell your players "there's always at least enough treasure on dungeon level X to get you from character level X to X+1".

You will find that in actual play this has roughly the same result as saying either "you level up as soon as you find the stairs down" or "you level up when you defeat or bypass all the monsters on this level", but people like collecting xp.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Nov 24, 2016

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I think that, at bottom, the overarching principle should be to reward the players for engaging in behavior that you would like to encourage.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

gradenko_2000 posted:

I think that, at bottom, the overarching principle should be to reward the players for engaging in behavior that you would like to encourage.

So how much experience should I give for showering and wearing deoderant

MadMadi
Mar 16, 2012

Autism Sneaks posted:

So how much experience should I give for showering and wearing deoderant

The experience of being invited to play and not told to leave.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

After a few weeks away, I'm going to be rejoining my level six group. They currently have: Barbarian (wood elf :psyduck:), Rogue, Druid, Bard, Sorcerer (or Warlock, can't remember). How is Monk? I like the idea of moving through a group of enemies and potentially knocking two of them down or shoving them with my bonus attacks.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Open Hand monks are mechanically effective but are incredibly boring to play, one-trick ponies. Shadow monks are as effective as your DM lets them be*. Elemental monks are terrible.

* Also, according to errata, unarmed attacks cannot benefit from rogue's sneak attack so no multiclass shenanigans allowed

Slippery42
Nov 10, 2011
I'm having a lot of fun with my shadow monk. Stunning strike has sent as many combats straight to negotiations as anything my party's spellcasters have done, pass without trace makes my minimum stealth roll 19 (at level 8), and shadow step lets me go effectively anywhere at night or in caves. The only downside is that he doesn't have any self healing or damage mitigation in a party with no dedicated healer, so I find myself having to use my bonus action dodge/disengage more often than I'd like.

Dick Burglar posted:

* Also, according to errata, unarmed attacks cannot benefit from rogue's sneak attack so no multiclass shenanigans allowed

You can still sneak attack with your main weapon attacks, assuming said weapon is finesse (so shortsword/dagger, but not quarterstaff). That gives you as many chances to sneak attack per turn as a pure rogue gets if you have at least 5 levels in Monk.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
You can cast Darkness for 2 ki points. Forget "at night" or "in caves."

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I was looking at multiclassing with Druid but the benefits don't really seem to be there. Depending on the GM, you probably aren't going to get much use out of Flurry of Blows or other unarmed attacks if you're using a Wild Shape, and the small amount of spells you get even going to Druid 4 aren't all that great. I will likely just stick with straight Monk, Aarakocra if the GM allows it.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Depending on the level, Warlock/Monk Aarakocra are unstoppable killing machines. And you get to make screechy bird noises while you roll your dice.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Level 6. I'm guessing Warlock 3/Monk whatever, for Hex, Eldritch Blast/Agonizing Blast and Devil's Sight/Darkness?

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Level 2 does just fine. I mixed in some Bard, too. But that was around 12th level.

Slippery42
Nov 10, 2011

Inkspot posted:

You can cast Darkness for 2 ki points. Forget "at night" or "in caves."

Shadow Step requires that the place you teleport to is somewhere that you can see, and Darkness blocks your own vision of the target area as well. The best you can do is minor illusion a barrier around any light source and Ask Your DM whether or not it blocks enough light to make a nearby area Shadow Steppable. Devil's Sight lets you get around this, but the opportunity cost for a Warlock multiclass is too high for that one gimmick, imo.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Level 6. I'm guessing Warlock 3/Monk whatever, for Hex, Eldritch Blast/Agonizing Blast and Devil's Sight/Darkness?

Double check the multiclassing requirements. You'd need at least 13 dex, wis, and cha for that. It's possible to achieve with the standard array, but one of these will be a measley 13, so which will it be? Cha determines your attack/damage bonus for EB and Warlock spell save DC. Wis determines your Ki ability save DC and AC. Dex determines your martial attack/damage bonus and AC. You're also relegating Con to a 12 at best. Unless your table rolls for stats and you got lucky, in which case go hog wild I guess.

Monk in general isn't very multiclass-friendly. I prefer any Monk build to eventually have 19 levels of it so as to not miss out on the 5th ASI and Empty Body (which is basically rage + greater invisibility). Their capstone's not fantastic, so you'd probably get more out of a level of Rogue or the revised (Ask Your DM) Ranger than Monk 20 gives you.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Slippery42 posted:

Shadow Step requires that the place you teleport to is somewhere that you can see, and Darkness blocks your own vision of the target area as well.

Ah yes, the problem of "I am a master of shadows!" vs. "I can't see! How can I use my shadow powers if I can't see!?"

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Can't tieflings see through magical darkness? Could just do that.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
No. Despite theoretically having devil's blood they don't have Devil's Sight. The only player options that could see through Magical Darkness are Warlock's with Devil's Sight. The True Sight spell, and possibly similar options. With Druid's Wild Shaping into Blindsight forms more or less ignoring magical darkness.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Cleric/Monk could be neat. Waste of the armor and weapon proficiencies but a gain of basically half caster spells. In combat healing isn't that great but getting someone from 0 to up is pretty helpful.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

You cast Darkness over the nearest light source and start shadow-hopping around.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
It will always be the funniest thing to me that rogues literally can't sneak up behind someone in a dark alleyway and blackjack them in the back of the head because it's too dark and they can't see. I know that was the rule in 3.x, is it still the rule here?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

ProfessorCirno posted:

It will always be the funniest thing to me that rogues literally can't sneak up behind someone in a dark alleyway and blackjack them in the back of the head because it's too dark and they can't see. I know that was the rule in 3.x, is it still the rule here?

All they need is a slight bit of light. Moonlight will even work. If it's pitch black unless they have dark vision it's going to be hard to track your target. (You can still stab them and get a sneak attack however it's just going to harder to hit.)
Pretty much Rogue's want Dim light rather then pitch black. (This gives them good spots to hide, but not disadvantage on attacks.)

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Nov 26, 2016

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

ProfessorCirno posted:

MonsterEnvy posted:

All they need is a slight bit of light. Moonlight will even work. If it's pitch black unless they have dark vision it's going to be hard to track your target. (You can still stab them and get a sneak attack however it's just going to harder to hit.)
Pretty much Rogue's want Dim light rather then pitch black. (This gives them good spots to hide, but not disadvantage on attacks.)

Rogues definitely want dim light not darkness, but moonlight doesn't count as dim light, and you can't sneak attack in darkness.

PHB page 96 (Sneak Attack) posted:

Once per turn, you can deal an extra 1d6 damage to one creature you hit with an attack if you have advantage on the attack roll.

PHB page 183 posted:

Bright light lets most creatures see normally. Even gloomy days provide bright light, as do torches, lanterns, fires, and other sources of illumination within a specific radius.

Dim light, also called shadows, creates a lightly obscured area. An area of dim light is usually a boundary between a source of bright light, such as a torch, and surrounding darkness. The soft light of twilight and dawn also counts as dim light. A particularly brilliant full moon might bathe the land in dim light.

Darkness creates a heavily obscured area. Characters face darkness outdoors at night (even most moonlit nights), within the confines of an unlit dungeon or a subterranean vault, or in an area of magical darkness.

PHB page 183 posted:

A heavily obscured area—such as darkness, opaque fog, or dense foliage—blocks vision entirely. A creature in a heavily obscured area effectively suffers from the blinded condition (see appendix A).

PHB Appendix A posted:

Blinded

A blinded creature can’t see and automatically fails any ability check that requires sight.

Attack rolls against the creature have advantage, and the creature’s attack rolls have disadvantage.

The idea that a rogue can't sneak-attack you in a dark alley because it's too dark for them to see you is alive and well in 5th ed.

Yes this is very dumb and no, I wouldn't run it like that, but these are the rules as written.

e: The root of the problem here is the definition of darkness where "being outside at night" and "being deep underground with no lights" are equivalent, which is clearly bullshit. Shift "outside at night" to "dim light", and everything starts working in a non-stupid way. I gave feedback on this subject during several versions of the playtest, but yeah, here it is anyway.

e2: The quotes above seem to show that someone stepping outside at night is immediately blinded unless there's a nearby light source or the full moon is "particularly brilliant". Yeah.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Nov 26, 2016

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Ah darkness, devils sight would be useful there and not in this foggy shithole my warlocks slowly walking through.

Speaking of warlocks, Hex came up last night, specifically the disadvantage on ability checks, does that apply to anything the enemy might do? Like at all?

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

Cassa posted:

Speaking of warlocks, Hex came up last night, specifically the disadvantage on ability checks, does that apply to anything the enemy might do? Like at all?

Note the attacks and saving throws are not checks. As it says on page 7 (and keeps implying by mentioning them as discrete things), those three are different.

A penalty to checks will mostly boil down to a penalty to raw ability checks, skills, initiative, and grappling.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

How the hell is Hex such a good spell? Bonus action cast, extra damage dice (that crit!!) on every attack, disadvantage on ability checks for a target ability score, lasts a goddamn hour (or concentration), AND can be reapplied to a new target if the current target dies?

I finally got to roll my Kobold Warlock (the blastiest shootiest spelliest kobold) and spent the entire night just wrecking people. I killed someone who got away because they failed an Athletics check due to disadvantage and drowned! This spell is nuts and I don't know why it isn't just listed as a class feature or something.

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

blastron posted:

This spell is nuts and I don't know why it isn't just listed as a class feature or something.

In 4e, Warlocks got Eldritch Blast and a curse effect (basically similar to Hex) automatically. So, you know, 5e doesn't do that. Because 4e did.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Anyone tried a debuff/lockdown style warlock in 5th ed? How did you do it? Did it work well?

e: With Tome Pact, it says "choose three cantrips from any class’s spell list". Is there any official clarification about whether this is equivalent to "pick 3 cantrips from any one class's spell list" or "pick any 3 cantrips"?

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Nov 26, 2016

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I just realized the other day that I was only applying Hex damage to ONE of my three E. Blasts at the one shot Wednesday night. My brain wasn't working and missed that it applied to EVERY attack you make against that creature, and I was sort of just bumbling along rolling three d20s at once without thinking.

Also; Monk 5/Cleric 1 gives me Bane twice a day and five Stunning Strike uses per short rest. Takes a little bit of setup but seems like a worthwhile cause.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

AlphaDog posted:

e: With Tome Pact, it says "choose three cantrips from any class’s spell list". Is there any official clarification about whether this is equivalent to "pick 3 cantrips from any one class's spell list" or "pick any 3 cantrips"?

PHB errata:

quote:

Pact of the Tome (p. 108). The cantrips are considered warlock spells for you, and they needn’t be from the same spell list.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Kaysette posted:

PHB errata:

Awesome, thanks! I wanted to take Vicious Mockery and Ray of Frost.

:iceburn:

e: Ah crap, it was in my mind to do fighter 5 / warlock x and do 2 cantrips per attack. But cantrips aren't regular attacks, they're spell attacks so you can't do more than one per turn. Could still do it with Action Surge though, right?

e2: What about paladin/warlock? Any synergies there? I can't really see any, but it could be amazing to go "Yeah, I made a deal with a devil, but then I found god. Devil hasn't figured it out yet though. Gonna get interesting when he does".

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Nov 27, 2016

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
The cantrips are hilarious because they further render Pact of Blade obsolete (it was already obsolete without them but now it's just insulting).

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

AlphaDog posted:

Awesome, thanks! I wanted to take Vicious Mockery and Ray of Frost.

:iceburn:

e: Ah crap, it was in my mind to do fighter 5 / warlock x and do 2 cantrips per attack. But cantrips aren't regular attacks, they're spell attacks so you can't do more than one per turn. Could still do it with Action Surge though, right?

e2: What about paladin/warlock? Any synergies there? I can't really see any, but it could be amazing to go "Yeah, I made a deal with a devil, but then I found god. Devil hasn't figured it out yet though. Gonna get interesting when he does".

Vengeance paladin at level 3 with Oath of Enmity would give you advantage in attack rolls for 10 rounds of combat as a bonus action. So your eldrich blasts all have advantage against your vowed target is pretty nasty.

You also get access to Bane, which isn't a horrible debuff for the party. It's not a min/maxer's dream combo, but it's decently useful. Toss in a Tome of Leadership and Influence and you can be at Cha22 fairly easily.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

koreban posted:

Vengeance paladin at level 3 with Oath of Enmity would give you advantage in attack rolls for 10 rounds of combat as a bonus action. So your eldrich blasts all have advantage against your vowed target is pretty nasty.

You also get access to Bane, which isn't a horrible debuff for the party. It's not a min/maxer's dream combo, but it's decently useful. Toss in a Tome of Leadership and Influence and you can be at Cha22 fairly easily.

Not bad, and I could play the fluff perfectly straight!

"Paladins who uphold these tenets are willing to sacrifice even their own righteousness to mete out justice upon those who do evil..."
"Faced with a choice of fighting my sworn foes or combating a lesser evil, I choose the greater evil."
"My qualms can ’t get in the way of exterminating my foes."

Seriously, what's a little deal with a devil if it means vengeance will be served? <throws away holy sword, conjures hellish familiar, smites "bad" guys with green fire while laughing maniacally>

You eventually die and get to paladin heaven and the guy on the door's like "uhhhhh... private function?" but it turns out you're on the list anyway. Because you've got connections.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Nov 27, 2016

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Paladins can be any alignment. They needn't be good guys to begin with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Or take Patron of the Light if your GM allows Unearthed Arcana. You're so devoted you literally channel positive energy.