Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I once locked my keys in my Blazer, only to be able to unlock it with a flathead screwdriver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
My friends Land Rover lightweight diesel could be started with practically any key or small coin. Engine shut off was accomplished by holding the brakes as hard as possible and stalling it.

Why yes, now you mention it, it did go through some oil...

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

Plinkey posted:

Yeah, similar deal with my 96 F150 the keys were so warn down that pretty much anything from a house key to thin screwdriver would open the doors. You could also pull the key out of the ignition while driving and it didn't care :v:

we have a similar issue with our lovely trashhauler Jimmy. The key has worn to the point that it can be removed without shutting the engine off

this has turned out to be A Useful Feature.

the PO hacked in a shity aftermarket alarm, which later malfunctioned. We removed most of it, but it still has an occasional tendency to immobilize the car on hot restarts. Twist the key and no crank, no click, nothing. Let it sit for ~5 mins or so and it'll fire right up

SOP now when making a short stop where you'd normally shut the car off and leave it (i.e. getting gas or drinks/ice at a convenience store) is to put it in park, remove the key (leaving the engine running), lock the doors from inside then walk away.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

ReelBigLizard posted:

My friends Land Rover lightweight diesel could be started with practically any key or small coin. Engine shut off was accomplished by holding the brakes as hard as possible and stalling it.

Why yes, now you mention it, it did go through some oil...

On my FJ45 the key serves two purposes, starting the engine, and turning on/off the lights. I can remove it after starting and both would keep going. To shut the engine off I have a knob that shuts off the fuel supply, much like on every old diesel-powered thing ever, except it was rigged up by not the PO, but a mechanic at Napa, and they didn't put in a spring to actually pull the knob back in and turn the fuel pump back on. In order to do that I'd have to pop the hood and move the linkage by hand. Naturally I found this annoying and for the first few weeks (until I started tearing into her) I would stall it instead.

Great anti-theft setup...

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Nov 22, 2016

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkCI_fhpRqw

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

This is exactly what I need in order to explain to my wife why she needed to change her wheel bearings.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

This is exactly what I need in order to explain to my wife why she needed to change her wheel bearings.

That one's loose lug nuts. You can see them hit the fatty-Mini's hood early on and you can sorta make out the rotor is still on the truck when the wheel fucks off.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Staged Aurora attack on Diesel engine and generator (opening and closing downstream breaker while the generator drifts out of phase.)

https://youtu.be/fJyWngDco3g

This kills the generator.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Seat Safety Switch posted:

That one's loose lug nuts. You can see them hit the fatty-Mini's hood early on and you can sorta make out the rotor is still on the truck when the wheel fucks off.

But the vehicle was rendered safe by the hazard lights. How could it still have gone wrong!

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Three-Phase posted:

Staged Aurora attack on Diesel engine and generator (opening and closing downstream breaker while the generator drifts out of phase.)

What a neat attack. I didn't realize generator protection operates on a 15-cycle window. That's long.

Drunk Beekeeper
Jan 13, 2007

Is this deception?
I figured this belongs here.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

TotalLossBrain posted:

What a neat attack. I didn't realize generator protection operates on a 15-cycle window. That's long.

Companies that build protective relays like SEL have since released a lot of documentation about how to detect or prevent an Aurora attack.

One other horrible electrical failure:
https://youtu.be/42Kn9JlXE5w

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Nov 23, 2016

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 52 minutes!
Pillbug

Three-Phase posted:

I thought a lot of these had load monitoring to respond to sudden decreases/increases in load disconnects?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

CharlesM posted:

I'll roll down a window or not shut a door if I leave the keys in the car for that reason.

Yup, I do that as habit now.

I had an Accord that would lock the doors at random, even just going down the road I'd start hearing CLICKACLICKACLICKACLICKACLICKA. It was always fun when I took it to a car wash, I'd always ALWAYS tell them "DON'T LEAVE THE KEY IN IT, IT LOCKS ITSELF". And then I'd see the car roll out of the tunnel, followed by them trying to open the door... and the door being locked... and the car continuing to roll and them going OHSHIT and getting like 8 guys to stop it and asking me for the keys. "You mean the key in the ignition? The one I told you guys NOT TO LEAVE IN IT?". Then they'd try to get me to pay for a locksmith to open it when I warned them several times not to leave the keys in it.

:argh:

The Door Frame posted:

Boy, do I have a Honda for you. My driver's door interior lock and the exterior lock will not work unless it has been closed

:ssh: Pull the inside door handle while locking the interior lock.

Hondas have done that for ages, and the manual documents the "hold the interior door handle while locking the door" trick. But nobody ever figures it out. Nobody. It works for both power and manual locks.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Hondas have done that for ages, and the manual documents the "hold the interior door handle while locking the door" trick. But nobody ever figures it out. Nobody. It works for both power and manual locks.

80's- 90's Subarus are the exact opposite, they will pop their locks back to the unlocked position unless you lift the exterior door handle while closing the door.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Dannywilson posted:

80's- 90's Subarus are the exact opposite, they will pop their locks back to the unlocked position unless you lift the exterior door handle while closing the door.

Mazdas also have idiot locks.

My Honda doesn't even have a working interior lock, the little paddle for it broke off of the locking slide long before I bought it. Also the world's dumbest car thief tried to punch out the lock from the wrong side of the handle.

bend
Dec 31, 2012

Mazdas also have idiot locks.

My Honda doesn't even have a working interior lock, the little paddle for it broke off of the locking slide long before I bought it. Also the world's dumbest car thief tried to punch out the lock from the wrong side of the handle.

That wasn't the worlds dumbest car thief mate, the worlds dumbest car thief was the bloke I watched spend half an hour with a coat hanger unlocking every door on my old Xf falcon wagon, I gave up on replacing exterior door handles on that after I broke everyone in about a month, he seemed really disappointed after he got the last one unlocked and noticed that it didn't have a handle either. Used to just climb in through the boot of the bloody thing personally, It's not the lock on there worked.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

bend posted:

That wasn't the worlds dumbest car thief mate, the worlds dumbest car thief was the bloke I watched spend half an hour with a coat hanger unlocking every door on my old Xf falcon wagon, I gave up on replacing exterior door handles on that after I broke everyone in about a month, he seemed really disappointed after he got the last one unlocked and noticed that it didn't have a handle either. Used to just climb in through the boot of the bloody thing personally, It's not the lock on there worked.

Do you not have cops in Australia or was the Interceptor busy on the other side of the Great Wastes?

bend
Dec 31, 2012

Do you not have cops in Australia or was the Interceptor busy on the other side of the Great Wastes?

I was sitting at a window directly above him and it's not like he could have started it anyway, the rotor button was in my pocket. It'd be a different story if he'd smashed a window or something, but it was insured anyway.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

bend posted:

Xf falcon wagon ...I broke every one in about a month

Mechanical failure right here. Old Falcon door handles. gently caress them with a machete! Look at them sideways or even have a passing thought about them and they stopped working.

bend
Dec 31, 2012

General_Failure posted:

Mechanical failure right here. Old Falcon door handles. gently caress them with a machete! Look at them sideways or even have a passing thought about them and they stopped working.

Why do you think I stopped replacing the bastard things, I had five spare cars and I still ran out of loving door handles (only had seven door handles between five cars though).

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

I quickly learned to do that with one hand and in one thoughtless motion. Now that it's an ingrained habit I've lost the benefit of the idiot lock.

The power locks in my Accord didn't work for the first 5+ years I owned the car. I didn't much care because it's a two-door but it turned out the problem was just a solder joint that needed to be reflowed. It might be a failure that the board that controls the power locks is inside the driver door where it takes an impact every time that door is closed.

Edit: And I locked my keys in the car within 5 minutes of fixing the power locks. The power locks do things like lock the passenger door when the driver door is locked. It takes time to get used to.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

The Twinkie Czar fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Nov 24, 2016

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

The Twinkie Czar posted:

I quickly learned to do that with one hand and in one thoughtless motion. Now that it's an ingrained habit I've lost the benefit of the idiot lock.

The power locks in my Accord didn't work for the first 5+ years I owned the car. I didn't much care because it's a two-door but it turned out the problem was just a solder joint that needed to be reflowed. It might be a failure that the board that controls the power locks is inside the driver door where it takes an impact every time that door is closed.

Edit: And I locked my keys in the car within 5 minutes of fixing the power locks. The power locks do things like lock the passenger door when the driver door is locked. It takes time to get used to.

I'm really not surprised that one was a cold solder joint, there's no thermal relief on that pad. All the heat would be dissipated by that gigantic trace.

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.
If you do a google image search for dry solder joint some of the very first images are of the main / fuel pump relay for the same car. Now I know it's a common problem but it was tough figuring out a problem that varied with outside temperature and how long the car had been running or shut down.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

Look at all the kickstarter projects under the Design category. It's just teeming with useless wankery but because they have look m i n i m a l i s t people are falling over each other because it looks like good design.

I just remembered this:

Want to you use your wireless mouse while it's charging?

gently caress you buy another one

If you are the kind of idiot that can ignore the plethora of warnings to CHARGE YOUR loving MOUSE! then maybe you should have something else.

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer
If you have a board out that has a cold/cracked solder joint, might as well resolder all of them while it's out, or at least the ones you can easily get to. If one is bad, others might not be far behind. Though that one with the enormous ground pad would explain just one being bad and everything else being fine.

If I find a bad solder joint and it's done with lead-free solder, I'll reflow it with proper leaded stuff. Much easier to get good flow with, especially with normal home equipment. Screw the environment, I want my electronics to work and I promise to recycle it properly when I'm done with it.

Edit: Solder in general doesn't react well to mechanical stress or vibration, and I cringe whenever I see a youtube video of someone crappily soldering cables together in their engine compartment for whatever mods they're doing. A proper splice will likely hold up well, but I'd rather crimp stuff.

ionn fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Nov 25, 2016

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
The only good splice is a soldered Western Union in 3 layers of heatshrink. :colbert:

Actually I don't get why people are so against using crimps. Everything fails eventually, heat shrink is your friend.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Went from running great to.... no throttle response, low coolant warning, and all this:

Found what I think is rodent damage to some wiring. I'm half tempted to yank the entire engine harness at this point and go through it. :argh:

The Twinkie Czar posted:

My 88 Accord also locked all doors when locking the driver door.. even if you locked it with the key or by pressing the lock down.

Whatever sensor detected that you had locked the door was hosed, and would randomly try to lock the doors (think I mentioned that in this thread already? it was always amusing when I'd take it to a full service car wash and warn them not to leave the keys in it while they ran it through the wash...)

Cold solder joints just seem to be a thing on Hondas. Especially on the main fuel relay, but I've had to deal with them on climate control too.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Nov 25, 2016

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer

Fermented Tinal posted:

Actually I don't get why people are so against using crimps.

Probably because they have at some point had it fail from doing a poor job (using bad or inappropriate tools / crimp connectors / ferrules / whatever), or someone else has authoritatively told them "crimping is bad, you should do X instead". Anecdotal evidence leading to religious conviction about whatever, the usual deal.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
The worst thing about bad crimps is you can get a highly intermittent connection if you do it just the right (wrong) way.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Yeah, i've given up on crimps. Lineman splice and solder, "proper" way be damned. If it's good enough for nasa, it's good enough for a ford.

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, lineman or "western union" splices, soldered or not and with heatshrink tubing look neat and work well. Just takes effort. I have faith in my crimping, but the mistakes everyone inevitably makes with subpar equipment before getting there could be painful.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

I worked on a car once that had an injector resistor box spliced in by twisting the wire and then heat shrinking them. No solder or anything.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
There are heatshrink crimp connectors that also have solder in them. The heatgun takes care of both.
They aren't that cheap, but for ignition systems exposed to saltwater it's perfect. (I know, somewhat specialty application)

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

honda whisperer posted:

I worked on a car once that had an injector resistor box spliced in by twisting the wire and then heat shrinking them. No solder or anything.

I once installed a car stereo by doing nothing but twisting the wires together and wrapping duct tape around them, first individually and then as a bunch.

I'm not proud of it nor am I claiming it's right in any way but it worked through three cars without a hitch.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

My old boat almost caught on fire because the PO did the twist-and-tape splice on the AC water heater wiring and then had both wires on the same side of the breaker. Luckily I was home and the smoke alarm (mounted above elec. panel) went off and I opened it up to look. Found the breaker starting to melt.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's why I won't let any retailer install a head unit or amp into my vehicle either. What they say they're selling and what you actually get is impossible to verify unless you take the time to pull your dash apart again and inspect every connection.

Had a friend's dash start belching smoke because of a bad connection shorting after a shop put his deck in, that poo poo is loving dangerous.

Captain Hair
Dec 31, 2007

Of course, that can backfire... some men like their bitches crazy.
Reminds me of a few people in the classic Mini community, took their cars in to have alarms fitted (because it's only thatcham approved and thus counts on insurance if it's fitted by a "pro") only to hare brand new wiring looms completely botched by ham fisted "electricians".

Pretty sure the answer was to bribe them with beer to do a good job. But still, I've never trusted others with my cars wiring since.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
I'm pretty sure my '88 Pickup has some mar connectors in strange places. The battery cable it came with was literally 14/2 house wire with all three conductors being used in parallel.

I ripped that poo poo out right quick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
Horrible mechanical failures are twist caps in a car. Or using solid wire instead of the one with a bunch of strings(can't remember its proper name). But crimps with heat shrink are my favorite way to fix jeep doors. And having a crimper that is right angled makes crimping easy.