Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

theflyingexecutive posted:

What's the dateline on the article? Add about six minutes

Makes sense. Does anyone have the first post on it? Would like to read the discussion from there on (I'm 3000 posts behind right now T_T)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Dante80 posted:

Don't know if this was posted here. Worth a read imo.

How Half Of America Lost Its F**king Mind

David Wong is good. Also this article is completely correct.

That timelapsed map of new businesses slowly concentrating into the biggest urban counties is a pretty good visualization of how capital accumulation slowly erodes the countryside, and even turns former cities into economic abandonment zones.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

idg how so much of our economy is done by computer, yet so few opportunities exist for telecommuting

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

MaxxBot posted:

Lol if you think they'll still pay a generous $8/hr after the Republicans repeal the federal minimum wage.

They will pay their employees in Walmart gift cards.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Powercrazy posted:

They will pay their employees in Walmart gift cards.

they'll also repeal the restrictions on gift card depreciation

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

idg how so much of our economy is done by computer, yet so few opportunities exist for telecommuting

management still stuck in the 80s

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Managers think that they have to constantly monitor the workforce to guarantee productivity, which to be fair is mostly true. The question of why the workforce has to be monitored in the first place is never really addressed though.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Telecommuting would be the biggest boon in rural areas due to long commute times and lower cost of living, but good luck finding a rural area with internet that is both good and stable enough to support telecommuting.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Dante80 posted:

Don't know if this was posted here. Worth a read imo.

How Half Of America Lost Its F**king Mind

Well, gently caress. That article totally changed my mind.

Sorry folks!

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I find telecommuting very difficult. Home is not a good work environment. Not having other people on hand if you need assistance sucks. You are at the whim of very my unreliable technology that stumbles pretty regularly. Its very hard to do planning and organizing when you cant physically interact, and the tools meant to mimic that still generally suck rear end.

Its a very narrow array of fields and individuals that can thrive ubder those circumstances.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

NofrikinfuN posted:

Telecommuting would be the biggest boon in rural areas due to long commute times and lower cost of living, but good luck finding a rural area with internet that is both good and stable enough to support telecommuting.

These places exist, I'm in Nowhere TN with bottom coat of living and our telephone co-op (remember those?) has fiber across six counties.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

NofrikinfuN posted:

More podunk counties should follow Grant County's example: http://www.dailydot.com/debug/ephrata-washington-fastest-internet-us/

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

GlyphGryph posted:

I find telecommuting very difficult. Home is not a good work environment. Not having other people on hand if you need assistance sucks. You are at the whim of very my unreliable technology that stumbles pretty regularly. Its very hard to do planning and organizing when you cant physically interact, and the tools meant to mimic that still generally suck rear end.

Its a very narrow array of fields and individuals that can thrive ubder those circumstances.

Ah yes. When I worked for an internet tech support company, our project leader was a guy who was in on the ground floor of the foundations. It was apparently his original idea to sell tech support services to corporations, and as a reward he got to live in Florida playing golf every day while still technically being on the clock (this is a company based in NE Oklahoma). So you can imagine how difficult it was to get any actual leadership from a project manager, who isn't paying attention to his phone 22 hours a day.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
(Kramers into room, knocking over a giant stack of placards reading "i blame liberals") hr giger counter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQg23yaf4mg

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

zegermans posted:

Well, gently caress. That article totally changed my mind.

Sorry folks!

If only a lovely cracked article really could cure bad posting

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://twitter.com/lindapmgbosco/status/801563153733734405

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

That's the most sincere and likable picture of Hillary I've ever seen.
Hot take: Hillary's makeup team is at fault for her losing the election.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

That's the most sincere and likable picture of Hillary I've ever seen.
Hot take: Hillary's makeup team is at fault for her losing the election.

Hillary is very genial and charismatic when she isn't trying to win an election. Maybe she gets overly cautious because of the odds someone's going to scream about vince foster at her, maybe her idiot campaign staff tells her to do it because the robot said it looked "presidential" but go find interviews with her from 2009-2012 and it's amazing how well she comes across, and you wonder where the gently caress that person was this whole year.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Bushiz posted:

Hillary is very genial and charismatic when she isn't trying to win an election. Maybe she gets overly cautious because of the odds someone's going to scream about vince foster at her, maybe her idiot campaign staff tells her to do it because the robot said it looked "presidential" but go find interviews with her from 2009-2012 and it's amazing how well she comes across, and you wonder where the gently caress that person was this whole year.

Yes, she spent her entire life being accused of the most heinous poo poo, and in an attempt to walk a tightrope for 18 months, she was way too rigid.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

zegermans posted:

Yes, she spent her entire life being accused of the most heinous poo poo, and in an attempt to walk a tightrope for 18 months, she was way too rigid.

I don't disagree with this. :(

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I think the only time we saw a non-rigid Hillary was in the 1st debate. I was hoping that one would show up in the other two but sadly it didn't happen.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

iospace posted:

I think the only time we saw a non-rigid Hillary was in the 1st debate. I was hoping that one would show up in the other two but sadly it didn't happen.

The right said her "woo!" shoulder wiggle was a mini-seizure, and they decided to play it safe and make her less animated again. Because they were bad at campaigning.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Powercrazy posted:

She is not a loving doddering old abuela. She knew exactly what she was doing. She didn't care. It was all worth it for the feather in her cap.

You are such a moron. What feather? Losing the election? Yeah I'm sure she meant to.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
lol @ all the people who suddenly "see Hillary in a whole new light" now that she's no longer running for president

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

DaveWoo posted:

lol @ all the people who suddenly "see Hillary in a whole new light" now that she's no longer running for president

All

*reads thread*

one person?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

DaveWoo posted:

I just don't like her campaign image. I still voted for her and supported her.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

DaveWoo posted:

I'm willing to look at people in a whole different light when I don't have to consider them in the context of controlling a vast surveillance panopticon and militarized empire that kills thousands each year.

It's a crazy double standard.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I don't see her differently in the least. She's done and championed a lot of horrible loving things and no photo is going to change that.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Oh Snapple! posted:

I don't see her differently in the least. She's done and championed a lot of horrible loving things and no photo is going to change that.

me neither, she's a horrific neoliberal murderess and i'd if i had it to do over, i'd still vote for her twice

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpuHt0ejMPA

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

DaveWoo posted:

I'm someone who can pretty safely be called a Clinton supporter and I completely agree that her 'campaign mode' is very different than who she actually is, and it likely hurt her a good bit. I completely get it. Like already said she's spent the last few decades being accused of everything from cattle fraud to literal support of terrorism against America so she's probably a little on edge when she gets in front of cameras for that poo poo. It's still a pretty bad issue, though.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I'm someone who can pretty safely be called a Clinton supporter and I completely agree that her 'campaign mode' is very different than who she actually is, and it likely hurt her a good bit. I completely get it. Like already said she's spent the last few decades being accused of everything from cattle fraud to literal support of terrorism against America so she's probably a little on edge when she gets in front of cameras for that poo poo. It's still a pretty bad issue, though.

Please tell me that the "cattle fraud" bit is an actual thing because I need it to be.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Oh Snapple! posted:

Please tell me that the "cattle fraud" bit is an actual thing because I need it to be.

Oh my dude that's one of the OG conspiracies!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hillary_Clinton_cattle_futures_controversy

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Before it was The Butcher of Benghazi it was Hillary Clinton: Cow Criminal. It was a simpler time, it was a better time.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

zegermans posted:

yes because being rigid on a tightrope is a bad idea. Like even "At this point, what difference does it make" Hillary is more appealing than campaign Hillary because it's something you can identify with when an idiot bushel of corn is yelling at you for 13 hours.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Oh Snapple! posted:

Cattle Futures, friend.

But seriously the issue was she lied about it, when she had no reason to. Her friend made a bunch of trades on her behalf and then Hillary when questioned about them, lied.

Why would she do that unless she was covering something up? And the rest, as they say, is herstory.

ate shit on live tv has issued a correction as of 19:26 on Nov 24, 2016

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Oh Snapple! posted:

She made a lot of money on cattle futures where if she had been a man, people would have said "good job killer!", but she was a woman and therefore too stupid to succeed and there must have been a conspiracy.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

zegermans posted:

She made a lot of money on cattle futures where if she had been a man, people would have said "good job killer!", but she was a woman and therefore too stupid to succeed and there must have been a conspiracy.

She received a large return from her investment. She didn't actually do poo poo, but then in true Hillary fashion she attempted to take credit for it which back fired spectacularly. Lol@you defending her.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
thrillary

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Powercrazy posted:

She received a large return from her investment. She didn't actually do poo poo, but then in true Hillary fashion she attempted to take credit for it which back fired spectacularly. Lol@you defending her.

Do you have any hot opinions on Vince Foster?

• Locked thread