Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Aardmania posted:

9 Chickweed Lane

That's a pretty odd description of Edda's rear end that Amos came up with.

Could've been worse. If they were going across America he'd be admiring the Grand Tetons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Coatlicue posted:

Wait so Brad and Toni are going to be gone until the day before their wedding? Leaving all the planning, reservations, and scheduling to everyone else? I thought Brad had "nobly" taken on all the planning on for himself since he was the one who wanted the big wedding...and now he's just skipping out?

Also my mom and sister work for roving fire crews/ fire departments and you can't have just like half your full time staff leave to fight a wild fire together, what happens if there is a fire in town?

Getting mad about comics.....

You're expecting sense and logic from Luann? Oh you sweet summer child.

Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
So if Peter's not going to be doing any work for the Bugle, and MJ's show is going on hiatus, how are they supposed to pay for this cross-country road trip?

Also, crossing my fingers so goddamned hard for special guest-star Razorback.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
So do you think Lynn Johnson opened up the newspaper funnies yesterday and today and quietly sobbed to herself, letting the tears drip down the sink as she downed her lonely meal of eggs and spinach

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
Nah, Canadian Thanksgiving was last month.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Johnny Walker posted:

Mary Worth

"Dope! My homies and I can certainly get jiggy with a name like Iris! Say, could you buy us beer? We all forgot our IDs."

Obligatory:

Actually, this is the first Retail I can think of in a while that I can say isn't accurate, but that's only because in Rhode Island it's illegal for most stores to be open on Thanksgiving. Things like gas stations, pharmacies, and bars can be open at the owner's choice, but retail stores can't open without a special permit.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

It's All Right Chief Dharma

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Hey, a Family Circus strip that made me laugh out loud.

Batman and Robin

Calvin and Hobbes

Ripley's

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Darthemed posted:

Hey, a Family Circus strip that made me laugh out loud.

Batman and Robin

Jesus Christ, the perspective in that interior car panel.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

catlord posted:

That's a bold claim, and I'm willing to hear you out on it, but I can't help but feel that they're nowhere to being the worst characters in Luann, much less the comics in general. Remember, Luann has, well, Luann.

I have a hard time articulating why, but it's something to do with how any time they imagine something happening that dares to deviate from their bubble of pure, distilled blandness, we're meant to sympathize with them. Luann's lovely mother pictures her holding a boy's hand and has this blank stare on her face that's asking the audience "how hosed up is THIS??"

It's so hard to describe why I hate them the most. And I hate this comic and everyone in it.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Peanuts (November 21-27, 1969)

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (June 7, 9-12, 1930)

Everything else after I attack a turkey.

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Goon w/ self-admitted mental health issues proposes to walk across America, San Francisco to Florida, to bring attention to mental health issues.
Goon reveals plan which even to the inexperienced appears to be lacking in planning, pragmatism, and even a firm grounding in reality.
Goon ignores advice from other goons, at least one of whom hikes for a living.
Goon scams outsiders out of $3k for support via gofundme.
Goon sets out bravely from a park in the SF Bay area, assuming 20+ miles of hiking per day.
Goon covers ~25 miles in 3 days.
Goon takes off a day to recover at a ranger station
Goon allegedly passes out on day 5, takes Uber home.
Goon then drives his lovely BMW east and breaks down in AZ.
Goon is reported to gofundme for scamming after updating his status with info on mechanical problems.
Goon is revealed (by sleuthing) to be a notorious scammer banned from SAMart.
Goon eventually drives to Florida.

God bless you.

And now, a brief Modesty Blaise interlude (for those who came in late):

In the Beginning

I've also uploaded some hi-res line work that came with my scans, most from Romero:

http://imgur.com/a/naiXI

I'll start "Idaho George" on Monday. Until then, happy holidays!

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

MrGoobinski posted:

Leslie is still there because for maybe the first time in his life he is in a good place, with good people that aren’t putting him down, he is actually treated as an equal. A time will come when Ox steps in and covers Les’ back and he and Ox will becme good friends. Ox harbors no hard feelings toward Leslie, just not his nature.

Uh huh. Of course, these true friends of his refuse to even call him by his preferred name...

The Amazing Spider-Man

Sally Forth

The Heart of Juliet Jones

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

MrGoobinski posted:

Leslie is still there because for maybe the first time in his life he is in a good place, with good people that aren’t putting him down, he is actually treated as an equal. A time will come when Ox steps in and covers Les’ back and he and Ox will becme good friends. Ox harbors no hard feelings toward Leslie, just not his nature.
I like that the Luann commenters are just straight-up writing fanfics in the comments now.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

Oh woe is me! I have to work my entire shift putting out this wildfire! Meanwhile my friendssome people are putting up asbestos lining in my bachelor pad so I can force my virginal girlfriend to move in with me and be my surrogate mother.

I heart bacon
Nov 18, 2007

:burger: It's burgin' time! :burger:

Aardmania posted:

Heathcliff

Must be trying to win over the all important goon vote.

Dude has my vote.

I heart bacon fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Nov 24, 2016

ThatGirlAtThatShow
Nov 4, 2013

Transmodiar posted:

God bless you.

In the Beginning

I've also uploaded some hi-res line work that came with my scans, most from Romero:

:swoon:

Thank you for this!!!!

The art is SO amazing through the series, this is no exception!

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Three days is a pretty lovely sightseeing trip.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Classic Dinette Set knows spelling is optional.

Working Daze really needs to expand its social circle.

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix monkey cheeses.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
In honor of Thanksgiving, Here's some dried-out turkey!

Funky Winkerbean

HAHAHAHAfuckyouhack.

Crankshaft

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Oh come the gently caress on.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean

HAHAHAHAfuckyouhack.

...By the time the blacklist had started no one was making serials anymore because the entire production model had changed. This isn't coincidental. The blacklist got industry support precisely because it was an excuse to kick out powerful insiders during a major regrouping phase, owing to technological innovations via television coupled with contractual innovations via talent agencies. Serials were dead as a genre at that point, having only survived that long because war propaganda was well-suited to the serial format and once the war was over, well, no one cared anymore. Even if serials had managed to survive into the blacklist era they were always cheap, low prestige productions- which even back then was a much bigger strike against someone's career aspirations than being a Communist was.

Batiuk's sheer laziness really does get to me sometimes. It's painfully obvious that he doesn't even do the most cursory of research into his storylines yet it's just always so ineffably smug, because he's figured that having picked the "right" side in any given argument, well, that's good enough.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Evil Mastermind posted:

Oh come the gently caress on.

The worst part of this is that I just started watching the 1950s Robin Hood TV show, which as a British production was a haven for blacklisted American writers like Ring Lardner Jr. and Howard Koch, and thus a great show to watch closely for hidden messages. That's a great story, but I doubt TomBat's going beyond "Oooo, here's a name you might recognize!"

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Senior Woodchuck posted:

So if Peter's not going to be doing any work for the Bugle, and MJ's show is going on hiatus, how are they supposed to pay for this cross-country road trip?

I think MJ's pretty rich at this point.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

Transmodiar posted:

God bless you.

In the Beginning

Thanks for posting this. It's neat how O'Donnell based Modesty on a war orphan he met.

http://www8.cs.umu.se/~kenth/Modesty/podint.html

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Transmodiar posted:

God bless you.

In the Beginning

These are amazing. I'd never seen that origin story. Thanks for these and happy holidays to you too!

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Phantom Classic

Radio Patrol

Rip Kirby

Big Ben Bolt

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Heathcliff

Piranha Club

Dick Tracybean

:smith:

Judge Parker

9 Chickweed Lane

Pibgorn

It's a free-for-all for a clear winner of today's mangled anatomy contest.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Hmm, the extra window says this is probably a Cessna 140.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Ben

Fred Basset

Frog Applause

Kliban

Office Hours

Reply All

Tiger

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Nancy featuring the first actual joke since last Saturday.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.
King Aroo (November 2, 1951)

Nancy (December 17, 1943)

Wash Tubbs (August 16, 1929)

Gasoline Alley (September 14, 1923)

Lil' Abner (May 14, 1937)

Barney Google (September 15, 1922)

Alley Oop (December 15, 1933)

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Arlo and Janis Classic (Sept. 12-13, 1994)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Peanuts (November 28, 1969)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (June 14, 1930)

And a double-sized Out Our Way, just for fun. (January 17-18 and 20-21, 1930)

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Yipes. At first I thought she was going after his ear with one of these:

:gonk:

Luann

OR, you could decide on what colors you're using before you start making the things. I mean, it would have been even better to decide before you went to Michael's, but I guess that ship has already sailed.

The Amazing Spider-Man

The best.

Sally Forth

The Heart of Juliet Jones

I guess his cover is a salesman of general farm supplies, but I can't help but think of him as a fertilizer salesman.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Well, I didn't think it was possible for anything to be a bigger insult to Dashiell Hammett than his being incarcerated and forced to clean toilets as a result of his political allegiances, but I guess Batiuk wants to give it a shot.

Mark Trail Meets New Lows in Jam Esallen's Grasp of Anatomy

Pearls Before Swine

The Phantom

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
I am on the edge of my goddamn seat over this stamp crisis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo

SomeMathGuy posted:

Mark Trail Meets New Lows in Jam Esallen's Grasp of Anatomy

What?

This guy gets paid, right?

• Locked thread