Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Bhaal posted:

This is probably a really dumb question but given the gap between poll data and election results, have all poll nerds and statisticians been lined up and shot? Or rather, has a postmortem happened on how virtually every independent model was so wrong? I get that it's an extremely dodgy science but from said science angle has any coherent reason of "how we missed this" arisen? I've heard the shame effect of people who were voting trump but didn't want to say so, and that "hillary's firewall" states weren't scrutinized as much in the final weeks, and that implicit biases wormed their way in somehow perhaps due to this being such an unconventional election. I just don't know of that how much of it is people just floating reasons and how much has turned up as "yeah, this is where we went wrong with our polling model".

Also there's of course the mountain of hot takes about how the obama-voting whites in the rust belt flipping because of jobs. I totally get that argument, but how was it not noticed nor coming up in the numbers in, say, october?
The final national polls were not too far off from the national popular vote. It was a few state polls that missed, but that should actually be expected. Sam Wang's 99%+ result was always nonsense, because it was clear to see how a few states being slightly off in their polls could tilt the election to Trump.

It turns out that Nate Silver was right. I think the about 80% chance for Hillary to win was as good of a prediction as could have been generated, and Trump just happened to get lucky in his roll of the dice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
i think there's a genuine chance that likely/registered voter models failed to account for electoral roll purges and voter id laws, which could result in a large discrepancy between polls and final vote. i dunno if it would even be possible to track that in post-mortem poll analysis, though

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Also no one saw Hillary's colossal bungling of GOTV coming.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

Theris posted:

Also they close the doors before pushback, and you can't push back without the ground crew.

Ground crews are stupidly vulnerable. Every time you hear about something like this or this is a good reminder of that.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

quote:

I think we learned in 2000 that no goodwill or favor is gained by the Democrats being the "adults" and accepting defeat gracefully.

Republicans themselves often point to attempts at compromise, bipartisanship, and upholding rules like the filibuster as a sign of the weakness that Democrats would have when negotiating on the world stage. That needs to come back to bite them.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

Bhaal posted:

This is probably a really dumb question but given the gap between poll data and election results, have all poll nerds and statisticians been lined up and shot? Or rather, has a postmortem happened on how virtually every independent model was so wrong? I get that it's an extremely dodgy science but from said science angle has any coherent reason of "how we missed this" arisen? I've heard the shame effect of people who were voting trump but didn't want to say so, and that "hillary's firewall" states weren't scrutinized as much in the final weeks, and that implicit biases wormed their way in somehow perhaps due to this being such an unconventional election. I just don't know of that how much of it is people just floating reasons and how much has turned up as "yeah, this is where we went wrong with our polling model".

Also there's of course the mountain of hot takes about how the obama-voting whites in the rust belt flipping because of jobs. I totally get that argument, but how was it not noticed nor coming up in the numbers in, say, october?

It is being studied and the results will likely be released next spring

quote:

When the polls failed to accurately predict the British general election in May 2015, it took a blue ribbon panel and more than six months of work before the public had the results of a data-driven, independent inquiry in hand. It may take a similar amount of time to get to the bottom of this election as well. The survey industry’s leading standards association, the American Association for Public Opinion Research, already has an ad hoc committee in place to study the election and report back in May (Pew Research Center’s Director of Survey Research Courtney Kennedy is chairing the committee).

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/801778852800430080

edit

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Also no one saw Hillary's colossal bungling of GOTV coming.

Bill did.

Sir Tonk fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Nov 24, 2016

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

Sir Tonk posted:

Bill did.

https://twitter.com/GideonResnick/status/796798471256805377

https://twitter.com/GideonResnick/status/796864560179331072

Indeed.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Oof, I bet the Bill Rage is real

How the hell do you tell Bill Clinton he doesn't know how to win an election?

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
http://www.ebay.com/itm/two-donald-trumps-army-premium-grade-satin-red-armbands-3-x17-with-velcro-/182136134030

:waycool:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Bill Clinton is super loving smart not like "oh that guys smart" ,but like " that guy is a loving genius" smart.

I think people forget that because of how he speaks or carries himself maybe.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

If the data was showing they were fine (it was) then it's hard to blame them for not listening to Bill. The problem is no matter how good your supercomputer and algorithms are, you'll still get lovely results if you feed lovely data into it. And this time around all the data was lovely

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

baw posted:

If the data was showing they were fine (it was) then it's hard to blame them for not listening to Bill. The problem is no matter how good your supercomputer and algorithms are, you'll still get lovely results if you feed lovely data into it. And this time around all the data was lovely

Sure. My problem is that nobody seemed to have the necessary degree of creative thought to think "hey, a few weeks out from E-Day, and Feingold is cratering in Wisconsin, begging us for help. Maybe we should get some people on the ground to re-examine our priors and make sure that we're not missing something here?" Instead they just throw more money at Arizona.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

HannibalBarca posted:

Sure. My problem is that nobody seemed to have the necessary degree of creative thought to think "hey, a few weeks out from E-Day, and Feingold is cratering in Wisconsin, begging us for help. Maybe we should get some people on the ground to re-examine our priors and make sure that we're not missing something here?" Instead they just throw more money at Arizona.

And loving Omaha. There was a lot of hubris involved and hopefully the next candidate realizes that you don't get a bonus for getting over 270. That and a candidate that hasn't been getting poo poo on by the GOP for decades and things will be fine. Or the dems could just destroy themselves with a circular firing squad of purity tests whichever comes first i guess

SaTaMaS
Apr 18, 2003

baw posted:

But she's such a good listener :confused:

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

how bad is the whole 'Trump will defund NASA' going to be? Is it an empty threat or can we expect the whole weather satellite fleet to start re-entry a week after inauguration?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Bullfrog posted:

Those election machines aren't secure, even if they never connect to the web themselves.

I read somewhere that election officials have to plug in USB drives, etc to get them up and running. That's not to say that I don't think this is anything other than a wild goose chase.

So is your theory that there was a conspiracy between hundreds of precinct-level elections officials or that the firmware for machines made by multiple companies across three states was corrupted?

I just want to know how deep this goes, man.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Is our Glenn learning?

https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/801785470107656192

https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/801786148519612417

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

TheScott2K posted:

Oof, I bet the Bill Rage is real

How the hell do you tell Bill Clinton he doesn't know how to win an election?

Jesus. That's Bill "I was a massively popular president" Clinton telling them IT'S THE ECONOMY, STUPID and those arrogant pricks not listening or even questioning their own data or assumptions.

This really was her turn election to lose.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

double nine posted:

how bad is the whole 'Trump will defund NASA' going to be? Is it an empty threat or can we expect the whole weather satellite fleet to start re-entry a week after inauguration?

It puts a lot of weather scientists out of a job, does irreparable damage to research, sets climate monitoring back a few decades and oh yeah, dooms us all.

No, but seriously, it's a very bad thing.

Crosspost from the climate change thread:

Potato Salad posted:

Reading posting above, I'll reiterate for those who don't read books / perhaps know English only as a secondary language that losing NASA as a prime contractor for climate research is awful. That's something like a 15 - 20% hit to sponsored projects in higher edu on earth and atmo science with my largest client.

Did I ever talk about the Bayh-Dole act, education funding, intellectual property and technology transfer / licensing in this thread? I can't keep straight which threads I've dropped an explaination in.

Yes you literally cannot replace some of nasa's prime projects. I'm not even loving talking about that.

One of the angles I focus on with respect to ACC is not just what's happening to Earth, but what's happening to its people. We're not funding higher education like we used to. Getting a job out of college is substantially aided by a resume with meaningful experience on it. The fix many take for both of these needs is research: study, work in a lab doing exactly the sort of thing you'd do later on in industry or academia, and have your tuition partially or fully covered. Experience, diminished loans, and eager slave labor for science comes out of a healthy university research engine.

Climate change research does so much more than just peek at the end of days the atmosphere. With my largest client, very roughly 200- 250 undergraduate and graduate research positions are funded on climate change research prime contracts. Their govt share of research funding has been dropping steadily since the sequestration, but industry contracting and in this specific context the capacity to do atmosphere / earth science with cheapoid cubesats without the need for export license application processes that take upward of 6-18 months for space tech because a university can claim much more territory under the Fundamental Research umbrella...their overall funding has continued to go up. Earth/Atmo and aerospace interdisciplinary labs in particular have been able to grow enormously thanks to this, two doubling in size since 2013. This translates to more Earth science / atmo scientists, more interest in analyzing climate data, more funding to help eat the loss when a president does something stupid like cutting research budgets. When you're a professor 70% of whose effort is reported as billable to a NASA climate project because you analyze climate data and you lose that capacity, you need to find money elsewhere to stay active for when NASA gets its funding back (or the professor could roll over and die like some of the posters in this thread, take your pick). I'm not pulling this poo poo out of my rear end, these are projects happening now to look at metrics and indicators previously passed over to clear the way for the most promising (and expensive) projects due to the astonishingly higher barriers of entry to space that existed just a few years ago. You need NASA for prime contracts on the really expensive poo poo -- anyone however can accept responsibility for the 5 or 6 figures of a cubesat. My career in IT and research administration started as a computational physicist in a polar atmo lab, AMA. I'm well loving aware of what cannot be done without an eight-figure+ platform. Trump is going to kill us all.

I haven't and won't even get into the tech transfer / Bayh persistent license side of this equation and where universities exist as places to ignore a ton of ITAR / EAR red tape for industry contacts. This is an arcane little field.

The above is meandering and lacking in clear points, so I'll restate below what Trump's presidency means for one slice of my little world:
1) gently caress, losing NASA as a prime contractor on ACC vaporizes...easily as high as a fifth of the award-based funding for a department of hundreds of people, most of them students. (Actually, another of thousands of students but to a diminished fraction). God only knows what other sources will be cut, maybe if Trump literally doesn't know what the NSF is, nobody will touch it.
2) When agency funding dries up in a politically fucky climate, you need to supplement your effort with money from somewhere else or change careers. This is where cubesats come into the picture - life support with a lower barrier of entry to keep PhDs employed and graduate students learning so we loving have an American climate science field to come back to in 4-8 years. In as much that we're fighting for every 0.1C, we're fighting for every dollar right now.
3) I will defend myself with lethal force before submitting to conversion therapy. You will not loving torture and lobotomize my in gentler terms. I'm having regular nightmares :smithicide:
4) Didn't touch on this above, but that 2bil NASA climate budget extension in all likelihood wasn't going to all go to operations. Much of that is going to be flowthroughs for analysis in academia. Those can get cut, it would suck, but it would be far from the first time universities would have to foot the bill for some of their faculty while agency funding was cut in a politically lean season. Analysis will still get done.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

the last one is the one I'm talking about, the one that'd be a serious attack on the American political system, and the one that a recount or whatever would address. Airing dirty on the lady who wanted to start a war with them still leaves her having lost the election, which is what the folks yelling red terror don't want to accept, and isn't a terribly strong position to drum up outrage on anyway - they just exposed a sleaze and won the war only she wanted without anyone having to die.

pretty much

but since it pretty much didn't happen, and most of the substance of it is Alex Jones level poo poo, you should probably be more concerned that this is right-Democrats re-coalescing around their new rallying cause of a Cold War drumbeat

gon be a real fun decade when Gingrich wants HUAC back and the Clintonites want a Cuban Missile Crisis

I voted for Clinton, actually, but I'm starting to seriously regret it.

:lol: is this guy for real?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Taking bets on a Nazi Germany style brain drain if Trump starts cutting NASA

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Glenn's probably secretly thrilled that Trump got elected - now he's going to have so much corruption to write about for the next 4 to 8 years.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
The Jill Stein recount will uncovee nothing. Accept 8 years of Trump grabbing you by the pussy already. The delusion is embarrasing.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

DaveWoo posted:

Glenn's probably secretly thrilled that Trump got elected - now he's going to have so much corruption to write about for the next 4 to 8 years.

Yeah I'm sure the gay guy who had to relocate to Brazil in order to escape discrimination only to see his new home being destroyed by one of the most corrupt bunches of assholes ever really wants Trump to be elected, despite saying multiple times in print and on air that Trump was the biggest danger in these elections jfc

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Ya'll spend weeks complaining that the Dems are rolling over and then whine when the Greens and a bunch of Clinton voters try to challenge numbers in states she lost.

What could the Dems possibly do at the end of November that would make y'all happy? Mass walkout of Congress? Go on MtP and call Trump a Nazi?

Confounding Factor
Jul 4, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Sir Tonk posted:

Ya'll spend weeks complaining that the Dems are rolling over and then whine when the Greens and a bunch of Clinton voters try to challenge numbers in states she lost.

What could the Dems possibly do at the end of November that would make y'all happy? Mass walkout of Congress? Go on MtP and call Trump a Nazi?

Yeah we have to grab straws at this point to stop Trump from becoming president.

Joementum posted:

So is your theory that there was a conspiracy between hundreds of precinct-level elections officials or that the firmware for machines made by multiple companies across three states was corrupted?

Not that I disagree at all with you, but what's with the cynicism during this election cycle? This question isn't so much towards you but to a lot of other leftists that didn't vote. That's exactly what the Republicans want, cynicism is a tool of the Right.

Confounding Factor fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Nov 24, 2016

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Confounding Factor posted:

Not that I disagree at all with you, but what's with the cynicism during this election cycle? This question isn't so much towards you but to a lot of other leftists that didn't vote. That's exactly what the Republicans want, cynicism is a tool of the Right.

He's from Vermont. Never really got over the primary.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Sir Tonk posted:

Start putting the right people at the helm (Ellison is a good start), demonstrate that you've learned the right lessons from this mess, start organizing political resistance to what's ahead of us, plan for a future in which the Dems are actually a progressive party. The Obama people blocking Ellison for fear that the radicals are taking over oh God is bullshit, and contesting an election that was stolen by legal means of voter suppression (thanks Roberts you gently caress) shows that they still think they deserved to win and it was the big meanie Trump or maybe Russia or Wikileaks that stole their toys rather than their own idiocy.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Sir Tonk posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnQ_Pn_B34k&t=96s

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Confounding Factor posted:

I don't think making up conspiracy theories is productive, in fact, it's quite cynical, especially from people who are complaining about fake news and were upset that Trump said he might not accept the results of the election.

(Also, I voted.)

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Covok posted:

The Jill Stein recount will uncovee nothing. Accept 8 years of Trump grabbing you by the pussy already. The delusion is embarrasing.

It's worth doing anyway I think just for the data questions. We need to know the process was problem free.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

It's worth doing anyway I think just for the data questions. We need to know the process was problem free.
Of course it was! The right candidate was elected.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/justabloodygame/status/801625834213642240

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
also,

https://twitter.com/Khanoisseur/status/801727843033956352

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Very interesting that the neo-nazi thought that the "N" in NAACP stood for black people

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Joementum posted:

it doesn't have to be precinct-level elections officials, researchers have shown that anyone with the knowhow (including voters) can hack these machines. they're very insecure

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ss2fPvXBd7Y

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

HorseRenoir posted:

Very interesting that the neo-nazi thought that the "N" in NAACP stood for black people

Oh my god.

sumie
Mar 29, 2006
GUERNSEY (adj.)

Queasy but umbowed. The kind of feeling one gets when discovering a
plastic compartment in a fridge in which thing are growing.
I thought that the circus would wind down after crazy year of election, but it seems like it's just getting started.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Condiv posted:

it doesn't have to be precinct-level elections officials, researchers have shown that anyone with the knowhow (including voters) can hack these machines. they're very insecure

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ss2fPvXBd7Y

That's an electronic voting machine, which is used in parts of Pennsylvania and not used at all in Wisconsin or Michigan which both use scantron machines with paper ballots.

This would also require a conspiracy of hundreds of voters in multiple states with unobserved access to the machines, just to be clear about what you're alleging here.

• Locked thread