Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Potato Jones
Apr 9, 2007

Clever Betty
Someone finish this off and post soup with chopsticks before I can mainline the good Thanksgiving poo poo.

Edit: Aw poo poo noodle soup, whatever, I just want birds cooked good and root veg done up all nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I want a full turkey with chopsticks.

Potato Jones
Apr 9, 2007

Clever Betty

MiddleOne posted:

I want a full turkey with chopsticks.
100% legit acceptable, that's dedication.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

I skipped breakfast.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Cloks posted:

I skipped breakfast.

i didnt

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
I made tteok kkochi....and I stuck the sticks into the food!!!
the end.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
This thread needs to be renamed to "what utensils did you use last night, you racist" or something.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

mich is right though you guys and the obsession with "authentic" and "exotic" Asian things can come across as really gross to someone who grew up eating foods that white people think they're being adventurous for trying.

http://everydayfeminism.com/2015/11/foodie-without-appropriation/

He's not respecting anyone's culture by being all "look how authentic I am putting chopsticks next to some noodles".

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Doom Rooster posted:

Made a big bowl of red beans and rice with andouille on top.

Lol dis ain't a funeral cuz, you presentation problematic

Can we make it a requirement that food posted in this thread have culturally appropriate chopsticks?

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.
I'm excited for people to post their thanksgiving meals in here after not following the thread so we can ask if they're using forks to be more "authentically" white.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Bertrand Hustle posted:

mich is right though you guys and the obsession with "authentic" and "exotic" Asian things can come across as really gross to someone who grew up eating foods that white people think they're being adventurous for trying.

He's not respecting anyone's culture by being all "look how authentic I am putting chopsticks next to some noodles".

As a yellow man I am not really concerned about any of that beyond laughing at my white friends when they die messily upon putting anything with chili oil or wasabi into their mouths

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Is it disrespectful for a white person to eat Chinese food with chopsticks? What if I eat it with a fork, but the whole time I am thinking positively about the Opium Wars and how Hong Kong should have stayed under British protection?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

if you're able to miss the mark that much I don't think you'd be able to eat any cuisine while not simultaneously making GBS threads on it.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.
Pile of Scotch Eggs

Red Snapper, Coconut Jalapeno Relish and a Spinach salad

Meatloaf on Parsnip Puree

Pork Loin with Blackberry Pasilla Glaze / Sauce

Toad - In - The - Hole

Cranberry Lime Tart with Gingersnap Pecan Crust (based on one from the current Bon Appetit)

And to compensate for the lack of chopsticks, here's a picture of some spare ribs next to a plastic fork.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
The yolk in that scotch egg is loving perfect. Well done.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Yeah those are probably the best looking scotch eggs I've ever seen.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

Doom Rooster posted:

Made a big bowl of red beans and rice with andouille on top.

hot drat.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
Thanksgiving peanut noodles with delicata squash, fried sprouts and gochujang tofu.

With a fork, because I'm Thai.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Mexican Deathgasm posted:

Today I learned that you can "plate your food like a racist.", thanks thread.

The only time I saw this was when Sandra Lee made a kwanzaa cake and sprinkled corn nuts all over it.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Mu Zeta posted:

The only time I saw this was when Sandra Lee made a kwanzaa cake and sprinkled corn nuts all over it.

Catious warning to anyone trying to find this old clip on youtube, there's a different Sandra Lee that is the most famous in town now and- :barf:

Seriously don't do it, good god.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

MiddleOne posted:

Catious warning to anyone trying to find this old clip on youtube, there's a different Sandra Lee that is the most famous in town now and- :barf:

No no no, it's a rite of passage.

Everyone go watch it.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

MiddleOne posted:

I mean, I'd still eat anything Dr. Sandra Lee produces over whatever comes out of Chef Sandra Lee's kitchen.

The Doctor
Jul 8, 2007

:toot: :toot: :toot:
Fallen Rib
I just need to express how loving stupid all of your amazingly loving stupid chopsticks pictures are.

They're really loving stupid.

The Doctor fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Nov 24, 2016

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

The Doctor posted:

I just need to express how loving stupid all of your amazingly loving stupid chopsticks posts are.

Are you thankful for your lack of humor just on thanksgiving day or every day?

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
Punching down is pretty low on the humor totem pole.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

The Doctor posted:

I just need to express how loving stupid all of your amazingly loving stupid chopsticks pictures are.

Some of them were actually really funny!!!

Oddly, people can have different opinions.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Rurutia posted:

Take it to the bread thread.

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme

Rurutia posted:

Now that we've established that posting pictures of Asian food with chopsticks is "punching down", can you please provide a list of which cutlery is offensive and to which cultures so that I can be sure to not harm others with my internet food pictures? I own a knife that was handcrafted in Japan, on a scale of 1 to triggered how offensive is that? Here is a blurry picture of it:

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Now that we've established that posting pictures of Asian food with chopsticks is "punching down", can you please provide a list of which cutlery is offensive and to which cultures so that I can be sure to not harm others with my internet food pictures? I own a knife that was handcrafted in Japan, on a scale of 1 to triggered how offensive is that? Here is a blurry picture of it:

reported!!!

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I'm disgusted, new low.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
The stance is:

Steve Yun posted:

Let's de-escalate here

Put chopsticks in your photo or don't. Other people on google image search and baidu put chopsticks and forks and spoons in their picture and it's no big deal. Just don't make the mistake of thinking it makes your food more authentic, because it's not like the chopsticks are food.

The punching down part is posting chopsticks to mock this stance.

Are we good on the context now? You guys are awfully defensive about this.

Have a picture of food:

Chiffon cake base for my mousse cake tonight. White chocolate mousse went well, I think I hosed the persimmon mousse somehow.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Again, what was racist, you stupid, fragile, weirdos, was saying "you must include chopsticks with platings of Asian food". After a pretty innocuous rebuttal, a bunch of people threw a hissy fit over it, missing the point entirely, declaring the chopsticks themselves the problem, and then being smug about it, proving the post they got their panties in a twist over entirely correct.

I thought the gumbo as funerary offering was kind of funny though, because I'm a bad person.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
Don't you all have thanksgiving food you could be posting or something

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
I did goddamit

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Octatonic posted:

Again, what was racist, you stupid, fragile, weirdos, was saying "you must include chopsticks with platings of Asian food". After a pretty innocuous rebuttal, a bunch of people threw a hissy fit over it, missing the point entirely, declaring the chopsticks themselves the problem, and then being smug about it, proving the post they got their panties in a twist over entirely correct.

I thought the gumbo as funerary offering was kind of funny though, because I'm a bad person.

That was red beans and rice, not gumbo. It sounds like you are saying that all Cajun food looks the same to you, which [Shyamalan twist] makes YOU the racist!

For real though, I agree. The utensil does not make a food more authentic, and you shouldn't feel smug about using it/them. If you happen to personally get more enjoyment out of eating with it/them, go for it.

edit: But I am actually the double inception racist, because I know that there is a difference between Cajun and Creole, don't entirely understand that difference, but still use the terms interchangeably.

Doom Rooster fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Nov 24, 2016

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme

Octatonic posted:

Nah, in this post he just said he "forgot to add chopsticks to the presentation" of his "scallion oil noodles". He actually didn't even claim they were Asian at all.

"fragile" :irony:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Little tiny burning crosses behind my plate of collard greens.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Bertrand Hustle posted:

actually he's wrong and you're dumb

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka
Look, you can complain about going "whoops forgot the chopsticks" as being lame and silly on the level of your dad saying that he tried "chip-pottle" the other day but it's just too spicy for his tastes, but making it out to be some sort of moral failure is really the definition of needing to stop taking people's food pictures so seriously

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Lol

• Locked thread