Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
I was enjoying Survival but the lack of fast travel on top of a very inconvenient save system absolutely murdered my motivation to keep playing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Theta Zero posted:

I was enjoying Survival but the lack of fast travel on top of a very inconvenient save system absolutely murdered my motivation to keep playing it.

I'm doing it now and if you combine vertibird signal grenades, that leg piece that makes you run faster and not giving a poo poo about most of your settlements it's not so bad.

This was also the run where I finally romanced Preston for the first time ever and hoo boy, that guy never gets interesting, does he? Although now that I've gotten his final conversation its pretty dark when he admits that he was on the verge of killing myself when you showed up, and says if you hadn't met up with them in Sanctuary he was probably just going to lay down and die shortly thereafter...and then Bethesda made a DLC where you either don't meet up with him in Sanctuary or you betray him and everything he stands for. RIP Garvey :smith:

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I always liked Preston. He has a optimistic viewpoint in a world where no one should really have one, which is cool. I would take him out more as a companion if he didn't inexplicably equip flamers all of the time.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I always liked Preston. He has a optimistic viewpoint in a world where no one should really have one, which is cool. I would take him out more as a companion if he didn't inexplicably equip flamers all of the time.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Mystic Stylez fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Dec 15, 2016

Svartvit
Jun 18, 2005

al-Qabila samaa Bahth

Mystic Stylez posted:

How decent is a vanilla game base playthrough? I'm thinking about finally picking this up in the Winter Sales, but probably without any DLCs.

There's nothing major in the DLCs so go ahead.

yegods
Apr 6, 2007

Cerebus can destroy ANYTHING. Cerebus is the POPE.
I've been playing through on Survival, and it's been fairly challenging and fun. I did cave and add two mods just for sanity's sake. One to add metro stations across the commonwealth -- they're not everywhere and you have to first discover them, so it's still pretty harsh for fast travelling. the other to modify the damage I do, so that it's the same multiplier as the enemies do to me. Seems fair, and works out great. I'm currently working through Nuka World, and I'll give a hint for those who have trouble with no purified water available: Vault-Tech zone.

Kaptain K
Nov 2, 2007

I must admit, I am fond of you humans.

May you enjoy serendipity,

And may the Age of Fire perpetuate.
Are the loot tables or enemy spawns connected to main story progression? I'm doing a playthrough now where I pretty much neglected the main story and I'm around level 55 and I've noticed there hasn't been a single random deathclaw spawn and none of the regular enemies have the best weapons like gauss rifles.

Am I paranoid or what?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Kaptain K posted:

Are the loot tables or enemy spawns connected to main story progression? I'm doing a playthrough now where I pretty much neglected the main story and I'm around level 55 and I've noticed there hasn't been a single random deathclaw spawn and none of the regular enemies have the best weapons like gauss rifles.

Am I paranoid or what?

I have never seen a laser gatling drop before, and that includes beating the game, so I guess they're just extra rare.

Kaptain K
Nov 2, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

I have never seen a laser gatling drop before, and that includes beating the game, so I guess they're just extra rare.
Yeah, I've also not encountered any gatling lasers in my whole playthrough and I'm in the mid-50's. Previous playthroughs where I did the main story I found all these weapons and encountered random deathclaw spawns in the commonwealth.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

Kaptain K posted:

Yeah, I've also not encountered any gatling lasers in my whole playthrough and I'm in the mid-50's. Previous playthroughs where I did the main story I found all these weapons and encountered random deathclaw spawns in the commonwealth.

Can't you just relieve laser gatling from the bos?

Kaptain K
Nov 2, 2007

xxEightxx posted:

Can't you just relieve laser gatling from the bos?

BoS hasn't spawned into the game world because I didn't progress the main story. That shouldn't effect the loot tables though, should it?

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

I wouldn't think it was tied to plot progression, but I've noticed better stuff starts appearing in shops long before it appears in the wild. Kleo in Goodneighbor had a suppressed combat shotgun and a gauss rifle for sale around Level 30 or so.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
How do you guys feel about the terminal entries in this game? I find myself skipping the majority of them because I find them so boring and hard to pay attention to. The only one I really enjoyed was the one in the super duper mart about the coffee lady getting fired and replaced by a truck sized coffee maker than needed walls torn out to install it.
Most of the stuff on terminals is so banal and mundane, which is a shame because I found most of the terminal entries in Vegas and 3 quite fun.

I don't know if it is just my misconceptions but the game feel in 4 is so frantic and stressful compared to 3 and NV that maybe I'm just not taking the time to read the entries properly. The slow run speeds made those older games feel more methodical and I'm in a more laid back mindset while playing them. Fallout 4 has so much combat crammed into it I have a hard time catching my breath after encounters and after slogging through waves of trash enemies I'm exhausted and have no desire to backtrack through the maze of buildings just to find a terminal that might not be interesting at all.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Nov 24, 2016

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Some of them are interesting. Some of my favorites are the CIT ruins and all the ones connected to raiders and of course the vault ones.

Veeta
Dec 23, 2011

... καὶ ὡς ὑπὸ βελῶν τοῖς σοῖς κατατρωθήσονται ῥήμασιν.
Main quest-wise there are some interesting ones in the Institute (background notes to experiments, and a little bit of history), and the logs left by the previous inhabitants of Libertalia are very well done. As far as optional-to-explore areas go, University Point has loads of entries, and taken together they do a great job of telling a sad story.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

The raiders and the captured sister is a good one. I felt bad that I read it after I had just slaughtered everyone. Thought something better could have been done quest wise with that.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

All of the raider stuff was a big missed opportunity. Beth set up all the major raider strongholds to have named leaders that had at least one plan in motion with politics between them and the other raider factions, and terminals that change depending on which if any of the others are dead.

Unfortunately, killing them is the only way you can interact with any of them.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
It's why I attacked that one group of raiders/trappers in Far Harbor before realizing I could talk with them.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I like how the gunners are supposed to be this organized mercenary group yet they just shoot anyone who isn't them on sight.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

What kind of crazy mercenary group would greet people civilly in hopes of getting a new client? That's just ridiculous.

Hobo on Fire
Dec 4, 2008

Kaptain K posted:

Am I paranoid or what?

I've noticed that about deathclaws too, since in my last two playthroughs I've avoided Preston's group until way late in the game. Pre-placed deathclaws like the one in the museum of witchcraft or the one sleeping across the river from the Slog are still there, but the only "random" encounter I've seen has been the one standing over a group of dead Pack members from Nuka-world... which I've seen a few times this playthrough, including back in the Commonwealth. Still haven't rescued Preston.

Maybe I'm paranoid too, but I don't think deathclaws get added to the random spawn list until you fight the one in Concord.

Weapons, on the other hand, I've payed less attention to. They certainly show up at vendors though, as others have mentioned.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Is the only way to fix the bug with When Freedom Calls, where Preston won't speak to you or move the group to Sanctuary, to load an earlier save?

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

SplitSoul posted:

Is the only way to fix the bug with When Freedom Calls, where Preston won't speak to you or move the group to Sanctuary, to load an earlier save?

Seems like less of a bug and more of a feature Imo

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Nasgate posted:

Seems like less of a bug and more of a feature Imo

Yeah, but from what I read, it breaks late-game quests. Had to restart.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

Entropic posted:

I like how the gunners are supposed to be this organized mercenary group yet they just shoot anyone who isn't them on sight.

That did bug me a bit. Occassionally when I first started playing the game I'd see some raider or gunner off in the distance, realize they hadn't spotted me yet and weren't tagged hostile, and waver indecisively about whether or not to sneak attack them - maybe this group actually has something to say or do!

Then you walk up and try to initiate dialog, and invariably they go hostile and attack you instantly.

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy
Only on a few rare occasions do they appear non-hostile to you or others. A caravan near a settlement, a situation involving a refrigerator, etc...

And even then it's not for long. Using a mod that allows you to design which factions are hostile/neutral/friendly to you, they have no dialogue other than dismissing/insulting you. "Get out of here scavver" and the like.

It's a shame because they could have been a good alternative to the Minutemen for "evil" mercenary characters and would have had a more fleshed out existence than the Nuka World gangs - could have even been a third choice for NW allowing you to cleanse the place and take it over as a general/colonel of the Gunners. Alternatively.... Why are the minutemen not able to take over NW after you clear it? Bad decision by Bethesda (or maybe just deadline-imposed content cuts).

EPIC fat guy vids fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Nov 25, 2016

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

EPIC fat guy vids posted:

(or maybe just deadline-imposed content cuts).

My guess is this. They covered most of the other angles regarding sequence-breaking in the game, especially with regard to Preston Garvey (if you don't even meet him before you become the Overboss of Nuka-World, he figures out who you are when you get back to Sanctuary and then gets mad at you, and settlements get defended by Hired Guns instead of Minutemen). But back at Nuka-World proper there's not a lot going on there story-wise if you clear out the gangs. (Tons of LOOT though. Very very good loot. Especially weaponized Quantum.) I think they might have rushed that one aspect out the door. Everything about the ENVIRONMENT of Nuka-World is well-crafted though. I will defend the actual locations.

If it were up to me, you'd get a different perk for destroying the gangs of Nuka-World for the traders. Maybe they'd put some money in your Overboss chest, similar to what you'd get for raiding the Commonwealth, though not as much, and a permanent damage bonus to killing enemy humans with a chance of some of them immediately panicking on seeing you (kind of like how Ghoulish makes the occasional feral ghoul turn to your side just for showing up). "Oh poo poo, it's the lady who murdered everyone in Nuka-World!"

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
I think it was a deliberate design choice and not a "We didn't have time to flesh out the Gunners as a faction"-thing.
I mean when you look at the Gunners, they're basically the same as FO3's Talon Mercs. And I think you put Skyrim's Forsworn in the same category. They're bad guys who have some background and reason for existing, but none of it is really communicated to the player and when you get down to it they're just there for the player to fight.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Nov 25, 2016

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Shame then that they had to come after the "enemy just there for you to fight" Fiends and Legionnaires in Vegas. Yeah, they're hostile 90% of the time, but you can also talk to them and they are well established within the world with an actual purpose.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Raygereio posted:

I think it was a deliberate design choice and not a "We didn't have time to flesh out the Gunners as a faction"-thing.
I mean when you look at the Gunners, they're basically the same as FO3's Talon Mercs. And I think you put Skyrim's Forsworn in the same category. They're bad guys who have some background and reason for existing, but none of it is really communicated to the player and when you get down to it they're just there for the player to fight.
You could actually side with a handful of Foresworn and kill most of Markarth in the process, though.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The forsworn are just freedom fighters man!

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Father Wendigo posted:

You could actually side with a handful of Foresworn and kill most of Markarth in the process, though.

Yeah but then Maddenach tells you "Oh thanks for helping me, the leader of this faction, escape to freedom! But the Forsworn are still going to attack you on sight because reasons.

I dunno, that feels lazy to me. Like they had considered having them non-hostile because that's what makes sense, but then realized they'd have to write dialogue for all of the camps around The Reach and instead of doing that just wrote one single extra line to let the player know that the world doesn't operate on any kind of logical principle instead.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Well, it's them trying to stick with the whole "Forwswarn are stupid fanatics that only care about themselves" bit, but its still most likely done for ultimately lazy reasons at the end of the day.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Arcsquad12 posted:

Shame then that they had to come after the "enemy just there for you to fight" Fiends and Legionnaires in Vegas. Yeah, they're hostile 90% of the time, but you can also talk to them and they are well established within the world with an actual purpose.

Eh, gunners are the same way, kinda. Half the time they only attack you if you get too close to whatever they're guarding, and they crop up enough in plot bits (Maccready's backstory, the fridge one, and also randomly as guards for a few different encounters) to get their deal as a hardcore mercenary cult. I mean, it's not like you get to join the fiends either, there's just one difficult speech check/sidequest that makes some of them non-hostile.

One thing I actually kinda liked in F4 was this almost subtle undercurrent of what makes different groups raiders. In addition to all the different warring factions you get glimpses of and the way they talk about each other, there's that one guy who didn't realize he was a raider warlord until it was too late, those Norwegian sailors who were basically forced to become raiders due to a language barrier, and even some random bit in Quincy where they're telling Tessa to stop acting like she's a raider because the gunners are all proper or whatever (even though they're effectively raiders). It would've been kinda interesting to see that same 'no matter your intentions everyone is some form of raider in post-apocalyptia' thing play out with the Minutemen instead of how blatant they went with Nuka World, but ehh :shrug:

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

There's one bit of cut content I wish was in the game. During the Defend The Castle From Institute mission, Ronnie Shaw mentions seeing "Institute crow-things" spying on the fort. No such thing exists in the rest of the game. I guess originally they were going to have some kind of spy drone? That would have been neat.

Svartvit
Jun 18, 2005

al-Qabila samaa Bahth

Speedball posted:

There's one bit of cut content I wish was in the game. During the Defend The Castle From Institute mission, Ronnie Shaw mentions seeing "Institute crow-things" spying on the fort. No such thing exists in the rest of the game. I guess originally they were going to have some kind of spy drone? That would have been neat.

The synth-crow models are in the game but not used.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

How do the synth crows differ from the regular crows? Now I feel bad for murdering all the regular ones, I thought the idea was that the regular crows in the game were the institute ones; makes sense to me as well since the only other birds in the game are sea gulls who are horribly scarred and cancerous, but the crows are normal.

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy

aniviron posted:

Yeah but then Maddenach tells you "Oh thanks for helping me, the leader of this faction, escape to freedom! But the Forsworn are still going to attack you on sight because reasons.

I dunno, that feels lazy to me. Like they had considered having them non-hostile because that's what makes sense, but then realized they'd have to write dialogue for all of the camps around The Reach and instead of doing that just wrote one single extra line to let the player know that the world doesn't operate on any kind of logical principle instead.

You could "fix that" with a mod, but yeah, baseline it was very lazy.

Markarth looks beautiful but wow is it a pile of poo poo in the background. The silver-bloods are legit more evil than Harkon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong
Anyone got a good manufacturing guide?

• Locked thread