Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
If anyone is seriously arguing that there was actual election fraud rather than legalized voter suppression on a massive scale, there are more than enough articles you can read to disabuse yourself of those ideas.

https://medium.com/@jeffreycarr/fact-checking-election-security-expert-j-alex-halderman-9bcdd4cad917#.2cs09uuik

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
We havent had an election un a decade that gasnt uncoveted significant amounts of election fraud by Republicans, the question is whether it was significant enough to give Trump the victory. It probably wasnt, but I wouldny be suprised if they won a bunch of smaller elections because of it.

This is the party that we know was directly altering votes in one state last election because they managed to accidentally lock themselves in the building while doing it and had to be rescued by the police, and from what I remember they faced no consequences.

Of course there was election fraud.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

What the gently caress, NPR?

http://www.npr.org/sections/codeswitch/2016/11/23/503180254/is-it-racist-to-call-someone-racist

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

If there is fraud by one party then there is probably fraud by both parties, that's why the only real variable is the Russian interference which I don't think is provable in the slightest

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

Quest For Glory II posted:

If there is fraud by one party then there is probably fraud by both parties, that's why the only real variable is the Russian interference which I don't think is provable in the slightest
Yes, maybe both parties ARE just as bad and the truth IS in the middle.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The article is legit, it just has a dumb headline

AmiYumi posted:

Yes, maybe both parties ARE just as bad and the truth IS in the middle.
I don't think the truth is in the middle, I just don't think the democrats are squeaky clean either. It's easier to believe that than a one-sided conspiracy, the likes of which would be shared on facebook by an uncle. It's like how college football programs keep getting busted for NCAA violations, it's easier for me to assume that pretty much every school tries to get away with it and we only hear about the ones who get caught.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Joementum posted:

That's an electronic voting machine, which is used in parts of Pennsylvania and not used at all in Wisconsin or Michigan which both use scantron machines with paper ballots.

This would also require a conspiracy of hundreds of voters in multiple states with unobserved access to the machines, just to be clear about what you're alleging here.

i think it's possible. the alt-right has conspired on other things before. things that were the realm of conspiracy theorists have been proven true in the last 8 years too

botany posted:

If anyone is seriously arguing that there was actual election fraud rather than legalized voter suppression on a massive scale, there are more than enough articles you can read to disabuse yourself of those ideas.

https://medium.com/@jeffreycarr/fact-checking-election-security-expert-j-alex-halderman-9bcdd4cad917#.2cs09uuik

it's strange that he calls the scenario fictional, not factual when he admits it's in fact possible

Mr. Belding
May 19, 2006
^
|
<- IS LAME-O PHOBE ->
|
V

I think I listen to this guy's father's podcast (he's an economics professor at Brown). It's pretty good, even though he's unnecessarily contrarian.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I would not put it above the Democrats to do a bt of fraud, but its a lot more risk for a lot less benefit for them since they tend not to get away with it and their base doesnt approve of them doing it, and from what we know its a hell of a lot more common among the GOP aligned

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
You don't need fraud when you've legally denied the right of the other side to vote

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

HorseRenoir posted:

Very interesting that the neo-nazi thought that the "N" in NAACP stood for black people

I thought about posting this but figured it was self-evident.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Proud Christian Mom posted:

You don't need fraud when you've legally denied the right of the other side to vote

Sometimes thats only enough to bring you even and you still need an extra push

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

Dude thinks his wife is attractive...Story at 11

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Quest For Glory II posted:

The article is legit, it just has a dumb headline

The headline is the most important part of an article. They better stop caring about getting clicks and care more about growing some loving balls.

Pajser
Jan 28, 2006

Rabble posted:

Dude thinks his wife is attractive...Story at 11

i get what you mean, but do you seriously think like russians aren't going "lol this milkdrinker thinks hes hilarious, tell svetlana, the one with the big boobs, to make him give us info on all future USAF ops in syrian air space"

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Trump dumping the TPP might be a horrible deal, since China is creating a similar trade deal with most of Asia that shuts out America.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-11-24/china-seizes-opportunity-after-trump-threatens-to-dump-tpp/8056086

quote:

United States President-elect Donald Trump's pledge to dump or renegotiate the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) on his first day in office is a gift for the Chinese in their drive to control the world economy.

China is now positioning itself as free trade's new champion and seizing economic leadership of the Pacific Rim.

Under President Barack Obama the TPP was sold as a way to counter China's rise, and its possible demise is now viewed in China as a US retreat from the region.

China was excluded from the TPP, which would have accounted for 40 per cent of world trade.

Chinese President Xi Jinping has seized the opportunity at the APEC summit last weekend and pushed his own free trade vision, the Regional Comprehensive Economic Partnership (RCEP).

It involves 16 countries including Australia and Japan, but excludes America.

Mr Xi is pushing to make it bigger and is leaving the door open to Latin American countries like Peru who are keen to benefit from the growing economies of Asia.

The move would be a massive boost for China's plans to shift the existing US-dominated world economic order.

With billions of dollars on offer, China is trying to supplant the World Bank and the IMF with its Asia Infrastructure Investment Bank.

There's more to the article, but the gist is that China is pursuing investment deals, trade agreements, and aid to countries like Malaysia and the Philippines in exchange for control of the South China Sea as well as agree to China's claims regarding the Spratly Islands.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

You should read the article.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Holy poo poo y'all are arguing against Joementum in favor of conspiracy theories.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Condiv posted:

it's strange that he calls the scenario fictional, not factual when he admits it's in fact possible

It's possible that I fell through my solid chair yesterday because each particle of my body decided to quantum tunnel successively but I'm gonna go ahead and say that that possibility is fictional, not factual. As in, it's fictional because it didn't happen.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

Pajser posted:

i get what you mean, but do you seriously think like russians aren't going "lol this milkdrinker thinks hes hilarious, tell svetlana, the one with the big boobs, to make him give us info on all future USAF ops in syrian air space"

Oh, yeah I can see your perspective too...and I'd much rather have an actual diplomat doing our deals. But dragging someone through the mud because he likes his wife's boobs is a stretch. Jr probably has real conflicts of interest we could be talking about, but instead we're judging him because he has a penis. I'm all for equality and fairness, but finding someone attractive and being public about it is not a crime. Personally, I think it's a failure of identity politics to separate the idea that finding someone attractive is basically the moral equivalence of sexual assault, and it was a big part of this election.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Pollyanna posted:

The headline is the most important part of an article. They better stop caring about getting clicks and care more about growing some loving balls.

That article is basically "is reverse racism real" and then the body is "no, gently caress you", what more do you want

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Rabble posted:

Personally, I think it's a failure of identity politics to separate the idea that finding someone attractive is basically the moral equivalence of sexual assault, and it was a big part of this election.

:yikes:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Farking Bastage posted:

gently caress YOU Texas U.S. District Judge Amos Mazzant
gently caress YOU TO DEATH
gently caress YOU IN THE URETHRA WITH A RUSTY CARPENTER RASP

http://thehill.com/policy/finance/307295-judge-blocks-obama-overtime-rule

This will likely drag out until Trump is in power and he repeals the whole loving thing.

Tim Krieder's cartoon is loving perfect.

Where the Dem side says 'we'd do anything...' it really should be 'we'd say anything..."
Because Dems sure as gently caress don't do poo poo.

In fact, their side should say:

More money for us
Minorities are acceptable in society

UV_Catastrophe
Dec 29, 2008

Of all the words of mice and men, the saddest are,

"It might have been."
Pillbug
Is there any good news lately?

Every single thing tangentially related to politics has been a swirling vortex of despair and doom since Nov 8. Literally everything seems to be burning down around us.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

UV_Catastrophe posted:

Every single thing tangentially related to politics has been a swirling vortex of despair and doom since Nov 8. Literally everything seems to be burning down around us.

Thanksgiving sure is a busy travel time, check out these Black Friday deals!

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

botany posted:

That article is basically "is reverse racism real" and then the body is "no, gently caress you", what more do you want

Are you really surprised? It wasn't exactly uncommon pre-election to get multi-page long slapfights because someone posted an article and nobody bothered to read more than the headline.

edit-

UV_Catastrophe posted:

Markets are up uP UP! This totally isn't irrational exuberance either and is definitely based on reasonable investor activity.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

botany posted:

It's possible that I fell through my solid chair yesterday because each particle of my body decided to quantum tunnel successively but I'm gonna go ahead and say that that possibility is fictional, not factual. As in, it's fictional because it didn't happen.

All the things he mentioned in the "fictional" exploit are things that have been used in multiple real world exploits. It's not really comparable to quantum tunneling a whole person

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Young Freud posted:

Trump dumping the TPP might be a horrible deal, since China is creating a similar trade deal with most of Asia that shuts out America.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-11-24/china-seizes-opportunity-after-trump-threatens-to-dump-tpp/8056086

There's more to the article, but the gist is that China is pursuing investment deals, trade agreements, and aid to countries like Malaysia and the Philippines in exchange for control of the South China Sea as well as agree to China's claims regarding the Spratly Islands.

I've always hypothesized that America losing out to China would require a monumentally stupid amount of bad mistakes across multiple levels of government and policy making across internal, external affairs that I thought that the American decision making institutions would never allow this cascade of self inflicted harm to actually happen.

Welp! Guess I was wrong!

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Why was the TPP bad again? The only specific point I ever heard was from pirates fearing that it'd make it harder to steal poo poo.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Motto posted:

Why was the TPP bad again? The only specific point I ever heard was from pirates fearing that it'd make it harder to steal poo poo.

http://www.truthdig.com/report/item/the_most_brazen_corporate_power_grab_in_american_history_20151106

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Motto posted:

It allowed pro corporate arbitration panels to overturn local environmental and worker safety regulations, among other problems.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Motto posted:

Well for one, it extended poo poo copyright law like the DMCA (with anti-drm cracking provisions) to other countries

SaTaMaS
Apr 18, 2003

Motto posted:

Because The Young Turks said so, and everything they say should be accepted without question no matter how poorly researched it is.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Motto posted:

People are just barely catching on to the fact that the last 40 years of economic policies have not been beneficial to them and free trade is an easy target because foreigners

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Pajser posted:

Do you think Donald Trump Jr would remember that poo poo nine seconds after someone told him? loving Donald Trump Sr is already dodging intelligence briefings. Can't give up intelligence you don't know, fuckers! Actually that's probably a viable counter-intel strategy now. The Russians can't spy on us if nobody knows what's going to happen moment to moment.

Indigofreak
Jul 30, 2013

:siren:BAD POSTER ALERT!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

UV_Catastrophe posted:

This helped me a bit(even though I still come to this board). Turn off the news. Stay away from it all. Enjoy life. Life hasn't changed at all. Who knows what happens after Trump is in office. But right now it's all the loving same. When you aren't fed a constant stream of, "poo poo is burning down!! Trump might have said this or that in a closed meeting!!" It doesn't seem all that bad.

Now with that said, since I know some rear end in a top hat is going to point out all the rear end hat trump supporters running around being jackasses, I am truly sorry if that happens to you while out taking my advice to enjoy life and turn off the news.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
Hey guys, maybe all these trade deals aren't that great for your average American. If only there was a candidate promising to rip them up. I bet he would win an election even if he was propped up by racists and suffers from a giant dose of misogyny.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

SaTaMaS posted:

Because The Young Turks said so, and everything they say should be accepted without question no matter how poorly researched it is.

no one believes this

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES

Zippy the Bummer posted:

huh, Hillary neglected to address or even talk about all the people who mine the coal, pump the oil, work the wind turbines and the nuclear plants, or, you know, grow the loving McGridlles or 20-Piece McNuggets people like to stuff in their loving faces in between posting on tumblr how loving racist and lovely all of those rednecks are! Gosh, those loving misogynist homophobes, gently caress them right??

yeah we provide all your energy for your precious smart phones, and your loving McNuggets, at the price of our loving blood and sweat, but gently caress us after all, we're just all fascists

Trump is an rear end in a top hat. He is an obnoxious curr. But the above is why people like me would vote for him instead of Hillary Clinton.

Jesus, what do we even have to choose from? A bombastic blowhard or a pathological liar? Christ, what a choice.

We have one choice. Our towns and cities are loving dying. The best we have are Dairy Queens and Dollar Stores. The factories are dead. Who will bring them back? Clinton? Don't make me laugh. She didn't even bother to visit her precious Blue Wall.

Well, I'm not going to be the little Dutch Boy, with his finger stuck in the drat. gently caress that. She and the DNC can hold the water back themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Zippy the Bummer posted:

Trump is an rear end in a top hat. He is an obnoxious curr. But the above is why people like me would vote for him instead of Hillary Clinton.
It's okay, you're not the only one to look at a changing nation and say "god, I wish people who looked like me were on top again."

• Locked thread