Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Do I remember seeing that someone picked a certain faction in the War of the Roses that let them get rid of their lovely unique English government form?

No, War of the Roses doesn't do that. You're thinking a English Civil War outcome. If you back the royalists and win you get absolute monarchy. Or if you don't and lose, which is what happened to the guy who posted about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Creed Reunion Tour
Jul 3, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Grimey Drawer
There's currently a steam sale going on for nearly all content, except Rights of Man stuff. Common Sense, Cossacks, and Mare Nostrum are 66% off.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

algebra testes posted:

I know this is horrible but are any of the new unit packs pretty enough for a dollar or whatever they are?

I don't think I've ever zoomed in close enough to notice what troops look like. They'e just an icon and a little tiny man of some sort.

LemonyTang
Nov 29, 2009

Ask me about holding 4gate!
Anyone who enjoys Mapgames should take over Byzantium in the Saturday MP game with goons. Unfortunately I can't be there this week or next week. Byzantium is in a great spot, a medium power in a nice location with interesting diplomatic options. Major hellwar is likely to break out from what I can gather this week and that is always fun to play.

The game is at 8pm UTC. You can find more info about the Discord we use to organize games in the PGS thread. Even if you've never played MP before, jump into this ready made scenario for maximum fun.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Dang, the patch RIP'd my current game. Says my save is ironman and uses DLC that's no longer active :(
I can't seem to pick peasant republic in the nation designer. Is it just a re-named republic or does it have events and poo poo too?

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Nov 24, 2016

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

Dang, the patch RIP'd my current game. Says my save is ironman and uses DLC that's no longer active :(

In Steam, right click EU4->properties->Betas choose 1.18.4 in the drop down menu.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Patch has map changes, that's why you can't run your save.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Drakhoran posted:

In Steam, right click EU4->properties->Betas choose 1.18.4 in the drop down menu.

Will achievements still work?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

kanonvandekempen posted:

Will achievements still work?

90% sure yes.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
Do we have an ETA on the Denmark patch? Love the new mountains.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Star posted:

Do we have an ETA on the Denmark patch? Love the new mountains.

It is out now.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
Am I imagining things or is it muuuuch harder to get strong allies in this patch? Royal marriage + diplo adviser + army up to force limit still wasn't enough to tip Austria over into friendly as Saxony, and without friendly they were never gonna accept an alliance

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

MrBling posted:

It is out now.

Great, was waiting for that to try Sweden again. Looking forward to my upcoming failure, as usual when I try picking any nation that isn't already a world superpower (except that one time where I took Tuscany and created Italy then conquered all of Spain and half of France :getin: )

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Where is the game currently in the patch cycle? Looking to get back into this but I don't want to start a new game if things will be changing a lot soon. If there's a patch on the horizon is there at least a reasonably complete beta patch that will be save compatible?

I thought I was done with EU4 for good but a vacation to Northern Europe has totally rekindled my interest.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Bold Robot posted:

Where is the game currently in the patch cycle? Looking to get back into this but I don't want to start a new game if things will be changing a lot soon. If there's a patch on the horizon is there at least a reasonably complete beta patch that will be save compatible?

I thought I was done with EU4 for good but a vacation to Northern Europe has totally rekindled my interest.

The latest major patch (the one inbetween DLCs) came out 6 hours ago, and the next DLC hasn't been announced yet, so... perfect timing, I would say

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Bold Robot posted:

it literally just got patched today.

This is the first patch after the last DLC which was released last month and is actually a fairly big free patch, content wise. I wouldn't expect things to change again (in any major way) until the next DLC.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Bitchin. Thanks dudes.

Relatedly, any strategy tips for a Sweden game? I've never played them and the wiki doesn't seem super up to date.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Rights of Man is on sale for 44% off on the Paradox store https://www.paradoxplaza.com/europa-universalis-iv-rights-of-man
I nabbed both it and Mare Nostrum for $16.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Ein Sexmonster posted:

Rights of Man is on sale for 44% off on the Paradox store https://www.paradoxplaza.com/europa-universalis-iv-rights-of-man
I nabbed both it and Mare Nostrum for $16.
I just paid full price for Rights of Man today on Steam. gently caress me.

skasion posted:

No, War of the Roses doesn't do that. You're thinking a English Civil War outcome. If you back the royalists and win you get absolute monarchy. Or if you don't and lose, which is what happened to the guy who posted about it.
Oh dang, thank you. I was thinking of playing a game as England to go for some of the achievements that are possible with them, but the Parliamentary government system looks to be super tedious so I dont think I am going to bother.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
Paradox drops new patch, misspells the Stockholm province. :paradox:

*edit* Might just be a culture thing actually, I take back everything! Forgive me, paradox

Star fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Nov 24, 2016

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007
Well, I finished my CK2 game and exported to EU4. I thought the converter had been improved? I mean, yeah its definitely better than it used to be, but I'd say 3/4 of Europe ended up with generic National Ideas, including the Kingdoms of Germany, Bavaria (#1 Great Power), Castille, Portugal, Greece, and Scotland. Sweden ended up with Polish ideas, and anything with my dynasty ended up with Finnish ideas. That last one makes sense aside from the fact that my dynasty is largely focused in Africa and Arabia, and one of the ideas is winter attrition or something. Why wouldn't the idea generator that is used in game when creating vassals and such be used to replace National Ideas in this case? I've always planned on modding my own to suit the history of my CK2 game, but I don't have the time to come up with some for every other nation out there, and this is clearly going to be a lot less dynamic and interesting than I anticipated.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Star posted:

Paradox drops new patch, misspells the Stockholm province. :paradox:
At least it wasn't an important place. :shrug:

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
Got a goldmine in Hopi today. Wasn't aware gold could spawn there. Must be a 1.19 change that I didn't know about.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Anyone have any advice for playing as Mali? I am going to try to get 4 colonial nations in South America for that achievement.

Also, how much do I have to pay Paradox to stop my game from restarting if I want to go to the main menu? This is so loving annoying.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Anyone have any advice for playing as Mali? I am going to try to get 4 colonial nations in South America for that achievement.

Also, how much do I have to pay Paradox to stop my game from restarting if I want to go to the main menu? This is so loving annoying.

I don't understand this. I get it for when you have a random new world and the game has to essentially re-jigger the whole map and poo poo, but just clicking single player, then going back out to the menu restarts the game??? I'm sure they have a technical reason for this, but it's pretty annoying. Specially when you want to keep re-rolling random new worlds until you get one that doesn't look bad.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Xinder posted:

Got a goldmine in Hopi today. Wasn't aware gold could spawn there. Must be a 1.19 change that I didn't know about.

Gold has a 5-ish% chance to spawn in like, almost any province in Colonial California.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

I don't understand this. I get it for when you have a random new world and the game has to essentially re-jigger the whole map and poo poo, but just clicking single player, then going back out to the menu restarts the game??? I'm sure they have a technical reason for this, but it's pretty annoying. Specially when you want to keep re-rolling random new worlds until you get one that doesn't look bad.
It's so the game reloads everything properly. Things used to get kinda wonky if you fiddled around with the start date back and forth and if you actually loaded a game without quitting to menu first the bugs crawled all over.

My guess would be the total programming cost to fix all problems involved with not restarting the game, which includes a ferocious bugtesting process. :v:

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Baronjutter posted:

Some poo poo to do with the game state not getting fully reset causing weird bugs and OOS issues with MP but yeah it's horrible.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I wish they'd at least have a way to quit the game from the country select screen, it's incredibly annoying wanting to back out to the main menu to quit the game and having the whole thing restart to let me do that.

I've resorted to force quitting the game every time which is hardly ideal

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Koramei posted:

I wish they'd at least have a way to quit the game from the country select screen, it's incredibly annoying wanting to back out to the main menu to quit the game and having the whole thing restart to let me do that.

I've resorted to force quitting the game every time which is hardly ideal

Yeah when I was getting my illegal trait bug it wouldn't let me go into the game and then quit, which was much faster than going to the main-menu and restarting everything. Alt-f4 works great though!! Also a SSD is good too, whole thing really only takes about 10-15 seconds to load. I can imagine its excruciating for some people, on my previous computer loading eu4 was a "go make a cup of tea and come back" sort of thing.

Also peasant republic report: seems like a bog standard republic but without noble estate, just church and burgs. I can live with that! Just modded it to be selectable for custom nations. What's yet to be seen is if it has any unique events.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

skasion posted:

Gold has a 5-ish% chance to spawn in like, almost any province in Colonial California.

Oh I thought it was only the Mexico region that did that. Shows what I know.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Xinder posted:

Oh I thought it was only the Mexico region that did that. Shows what I know.

If you hover your mouse over the question mark on the colony screen it gives you the possible trade goods and the percentage that they will spawn.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Which DLC introduces the institutions thing?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Elias_Maluco posted:

Which DLC introduces the institutions thing?

It's a free patch that came out at the same time as Rights of Man

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
ffs the AI needs some help when siegeing down provinces. Starting at -98% and getting to 14% with some broken walls, then just wandering off with no battle in the immediate vicinity. I usually park a couple mercs on high priority provinces that the AI is siegeing, but...still. Late game forts are annoying enough.

Azuren
Jul 15, 2001

Does the diplomat advisor no longer provide better relations over time? Now shows "improve relations" instead, and I don't see anything about that change in the patch notes, so I'm wondering if the two modifiers were rolled together into one, or if it's just harder to get BROT now?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'd had both advisors that give a bonus to the act of improving relations, and a passive global bonus to relations over time with everyone.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Azuren posted:

Does the diplomat advisor no longer provide better relations over time? Now shows "improve relations" instead, and I don't see anything about that change in the patch notes, so I'm wondering if the two modifiers were rolled together into one, or if it's just harder to get BROT now?

During the beta it was figured out that they got rolled together into one

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

I just paid full price for Rights of Man today on Steam. gently caress me.

Steam considers that a valid reason for a refund iirc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

I'm doing a Mali run right now. Develop your capital early on for faster feudalism and develop your gold mines to drown in money (and inflation). Eat Jolof asap, take Kong next for their gold mine. After that go for Jenne/Macina and by then you should be strong enough to easily take on Songhai + Friends on your own. You start as the most powerful of any of the west africans, but your ruler/heir are garbage. Disinherit your heir and hope your ruler dies, I ended up being two military techs behind everyone else near the start because I forgot that was a feature.

As for the actual achievement goal there's really not much to it. Pick exploration as your first idea group, maybe expansion after if you want to speed it up. I got to be the first to the new world (I swear the AI cheats and knows who the player is because every time I play in Africa the Iberians colonize it like crazy and ignore the new world for as long as possible) but wasn't lucky enough to get the colonialism institution to spawn in my country despite being completely eligible. The game had to wait five years for England to plop down one lonely colony and immediately handed it to them. I think I saw in the patch notes that they cracked down on institutions spawning in "non-traditional" locations, lame. That ended up being no big deal because I was second to embrace it in the world being the only other country with new world colonies, it's worth developing your coast a little too for faster institutions that creep down from Europe.

• Locked thread