Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Tired Moritz posted:

I don't get it.

Please don't shame Incineroar as he may be a heel but he is a good boy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
My Incineroar's breath smells like cat food

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Mierenneuker posted:

That I did not know. Which probably means a lot of people who don't know and it's going to be type effectiveness missions forever...

You're protecting, she literally says that at the start of every mission

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Calaveron posted:

I think nobody would complain if gamefreak quietly and permanently removed wingull, tentacool and zubat permanently from future games

Agreed except for wingull who is a good birdy

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Countblanc posted:

At that point people are probably already mashing the A button. And since you never seem to run out of new people during a mission that has dozens of players (>type effectiveness) I just see it as vicious circle. [/eeyore mode]

Things like that can happen. I mean, how many people have complained about SOS battles in this very thread because they didn't realize what status effects do? We've had both "nothing spawns" and "I get tired of the constant spawning" multiple times.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

Your Computer posted:

I fear that my new knowledge of Pokémon mechanics like Natures, IVs and EVs is ruining some of the fun :( I was looking forward to using Nihilego because I like the design but now that I've caught it I notice that mine has a +Attack -Speed Nature and I think "ugh". Then I think that "I should EV train it before I start using it" and now I wonder if I'll ever use it.

Maybe I should just pretend I didn't read up on this stuff, I'm clearly not very good at it.

If you are competing at the very highest level - going to a world championship, let's say - then it's very important to wring every bit of potential, statistically speaking, out of every pokemon on your team.

If you just want to do battle tree and battle spot, it's less important to wring every bit of potential out of every pokemon. Natures only give +/- 10% of their total stats, which is definitely not nothin', but EVs are a much bigger contribution to their stat pools, overall. Try to worry less and take your pokemon training one task at a time.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I forgot about the "talk to dancer to spawn more NPCs" thing too :shobon:

Of course, with things like Type Effectiveness I spend so much time mashing through textboxes that I can just barely get through the NPCs that are there. How people are getting 20+ score in that mission is a mystery to me.

Sade posted:

If you are competing at the very highest level - going to a world championship, let's say - then it's very important to wring every bit of potential, statistically speaking, out of every pokemon on your team.

If you just want to do battle tree and battle spot, it's less important to wring every bit of potential out of every pokemon. Natures only give +/- 10% of their total stats, which is definitely not nothin', but EVs are a much bigger contribution to their stat pools, overall. Try to worry less and take your pokemon training one task at a time.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Countblanc posted:

I think she only says it at the start of the first one, which could be easy to miss if you're button mashing.

Maybe people should button mash less since most of the things goons are complaining about(red names=visitors who give FC, the talk-to-dancer-to-refresh-visitors thing, etc) are explained, or at least intuitive once you get to a related explanation(use the pager to get people on your friends list as VIPs). Or at least have the sense not to complain that the game's not explaining things when they're racing through the explanations.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Calaveron posted:

I think nobody would complain if gamefreak quietly and permanently removed wingull, tentacool and zubat permanently from future games

It's like, you already have a replacement for Zubat that we're not tired of that you could at least mix in a few places? But no, Gamefreak just shoves Zubats anywhere. It's like in the poke-world there's only two species of bat: A face-murderer with an ear-bleeding call, and a rare, snuggly little love-bat.

At least Wingull makes some since since every game is coastal and they're seagulls: literally everywhere. As does Tentacool because Japan Johto/Kanto/Hoenn/Sinnoh and Hawaii Alola are all in the Poke-Pacific ocean. But then again saying that I feel like I put more thought into this situation than Gamefreak did.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Alkydere posted:

little love-bat.

Please don't post my penis's nickname

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Hammerite posted:

Please don't post my penis's nickname

But what does Metapod have to do with bats? :confused:

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Calaveron posted:

Basculin was only prominent in one generation and it still infuriated me more than those chucklefucks.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
They call me Mimikyu because I always have protection but no friends

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

tentacruel, pelipper, and crobat loving rule

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
Pelipper is gonna be V. Prominent in VGC this year because it gets drizzle as a hidden ability.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
help lunala won't let me clean their upper body, what the heck is going on

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Countblanc posted:

and you go limp after one hit?

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Calaveron posted:

my Crobat would complain

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
Was exploring Poni coast and found the Battle Tree. Went in hoping there was another Pokemon Center (because my team was half-dead at that point), and instead got smacked in the face by Red and Blue.
Even with a weakened team, I was still able to win against Red, though. :cool:

Did not know they showed up when you first arrived, I thought they only showed up after a certain number of fights.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Nasty Plot Alolan Raichu hits like a truck, very happy that my friend Raichu gets a much deserved boost

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Sade posted:

Pelipper is gonna be V. Prominent in VGC this year because it gets drizzle as a hidden ability.

Wait drizzle is an HA? Cause i just caught a drizzle pelipper on the third island as a basic wild encounter. No SOS needed?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
It's not a hidden ability, just a regular one

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

You know, one thing I don't like about the Battle Tree: I don't want to fight a bunch of randos, I only want to fight people like Cynthia/Colress/Red & Blue, etc. But you can't just battle them, they only show up in the Battle Tree.
I miss the days of Black and White where I could walk into Cynthia's beach house and listen to her battle music whenever I wanted to.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
Weather effect traits are now much more accessible, and doesn't require HA or legendaries anymore. I believe Torkoal got Drought, and Gigalith got Sandstream, though sand teams are much easier to build thanks to the existence of Hippowdon and Tyranitar. Snow team gets a minor boost in that Alolan Ninetails' fairy typing allows it to neutralize some of the most common threats to ice types (fire and fighting), and Slush Rush allows some of the snow team members to get their speed up to competitive levels.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

jwang posted:

Alolan Ninetails' fairy typing allows it to neutralize some of the most common threats to ice types (fire and fighting)

uh

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Blaziken386 posted:

You know, one thing I don't like about the Battle Tree: I don't want to fight a bunch of randos, I only want to fight people like Cynthia/Colress/Red & Blue, etc. But you can't just battle them, they only show up in the Battle Tree.
I miss the days of Black and White where I could walk into Cynthia's beach house and listen to her battle music whenever I wanted to.

I miss the cool resort in gen 4 where all the gym leaders and e4 hung out with their best teams for you to fight. plus your rival would stand outside because they wouldn't let him in

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

jwang posted:

Snow team gets a minor boost in that Alolan Ninetails' fairy typing allows it to neutralize some of the most common threats to ice types (fire and fighting), and Slush Rush allows some of the snow team members to get their speed up to competitive levels.
Speaking as someone with a Ninetales, I will say that it's probably not going to get much use as a competitive 'mon. Stats are... not the best.
However, I will say that Snow Warning + Blizzard is pretty great.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Where the hell is this electric cave so I can evolve some dudes.

Is it past these trainers on poni island that have level 56 mons? That's insane if so.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Where the hell is this electric cave so I can evolve some dudes.

Is it past these trainers on poni island that have level 56 mons? That's insane if so.

No its a rock in Great Poni Canyon right after you go through the first cave. When you get out at the top.

Its in the pre-Dragon trial bit.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Alolan Ninetales is fine, it's fast and has Aurora Veil which is nuts, plus stab 100% blizzard.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Countblanc posted:

They call me Bounsweet because I am bouncy and sweet

and evolve by stomping my foes

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Zore posted:

No its a rock in Great Poni Canyon right after you go through the first cave. When you get out at the top.

Its in the pre-Dragon trial bit.

Well I guess I'm a loving idiot then.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Took a while, but I found a female Salandit, so that's my fifth member. Was wondering if I was gonna find a shiny or a Kangaskhan before I found one.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Crosspeice posted:

Took a while, but I found a female Salandit, so that's my fifth member. Was wondering if I was gonna find a shiny or a Kangaskhan before I found one.

Finding a Female Salandit is brutal. You either run back and forth forever, or you try to chain battles and get your face pushed in by a horde of guys all knowing dragon rage at a stage where 40 HP is a big loving deal.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I must've been lucky because I think the third Pokémon I encountered in that area was a female Salandit. Ever since, Razzledazzle the Sassy Salazzle has been on my team :dva:

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Ev question: do you have to ko a pokemon to get its relevant evs added to the pokemon fighting or do they just have to be cycled in? Follow up, if I'm using xp share to keep a low level mon up to speed and am not putting them in battles, does that mean they aren't getting any evs?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

PantsBandit posted:

Ev question: do you have to ko a pokemon to get its relevant evs added to the pokemon fighting or do they just have to be cycled in? Follow up, if I'm using xp share to keep a low level mon up to speed and am not putting them in battles, does that mean they aren't getting any evs?

If they get EXP from the battle they get EVs.

This includes if you have the exp share on.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Your Computer posted:

Of course, with things like Type Effectiveness I spend so much time mashing through textboxes that I can just barely get through the NPCs that are there. How people are getting 20+ score in that mission is a mystery to me.

If you can read what type of enthusiast they are before you talk to them, you pretty much already know there are only a couple of possible answers. 17 is my record, but sometimes I waste time scrolling through the list or there's a top answer closer that I didn't consider fast enough. I think I could get to 20, but I'd have to join from the absolute start or host (then i'd probably get screwed with only a few participants) and Id have to waste no time scrolling or thinking or accidentally running past people. i kind of like how it drills the types into you, but I still struggle when bug/dark/psychic/fairy come up in dual types

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Your Computer posted:

I must've been lucky because I think the third Pokémon I encountered in that area was a female Salandit. Ever since, Razzledazzle the Sassy Salazzle has been on my team :dva:

the first pokemon i encountered was a female salandit and then I didn't like how salazzle looked at all so I dropped it for ninetales

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

I beat the game :toot:

I didn't really mean it but somehow my team turned out to be full of Pokemons that are hard/annoying to catch. :v: Incineroar is a pain train and has been really great throughout the game but I have to give the MVP award to Mimikyu, who's swept so many battles with Swords Dance I've lost count. Golisopod's ridiculously tanky and his ability's worked pretty well with Mimikyu since it gives him an easy switch-in. I was pretty happy with Raichu and Ninetales too since Nuzzle were Aurora Veil are quite useful at some points. (Nuzzle is especially good for catching Pokemons because SOS is a pain when you're just trying to fill up your Dex.) Dhelmise was kind of a weak link for me, but I kept it since I really like its concept and design, and at least it got to shine versus one of the Elite Fours.

The last trainer battle was pretty tense for me since three of my dudes are weak to Stealth Rock and their health got low pretty fast. The clutch moment in the battle was Raichu holding on with 1 HP against Ninetales' Ice Shard, so he could Nuzzle her and allow Incineroar to outspeed her with Flare Blitz. If not for that, who knows, I might've lost that fight. (I was left with a low-HP Paralyzed Mimikyu and a Golisopod who's gonna switch in to a Stealth Rock, so the odds weren't that great.) The AI teams and tactics are noticeably improved this time around and I'm definitely liking it.

Now let's see if post-game is as painful as I've heard!