Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Rockman X-3 is $30 there, as opposed to $250 for an awful-condition cart here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

hot sauce posted:

I was recently in Japan and didn't find any retro game stores with prices lower than ebay. I went into Super Potato and a basement store in Akhiabara. Did I just not look hard enough? Why would you buy in these stores over finding a copy on ebay with free shipping?

You were in Akihabara, basically, which is touristy and commands higher prices as a result. If you want cheaper prices you have to go off the beaten path to the most rural community you can locate that still has a decent Book Off or whatever.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Not a Children posted:

Rockman X-3 is $30 there, as opposed to $250 for an awful-condition cart here

It's $30 shipped to get the Japanese copy on ebay too.

univbee posted:

You were in Akihabara, basically, which is touristy and commands higher prices as a result. If you want cheaper prices you have to go off the beaten path to the most rural community you can locate that still has a decent Book Off or whatever.

Ok this makes more sense. I'll have to check out some stores in rural areas next time.

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!

the wizards beard posted:

Why are you nerds debating button presses and half presses? Out of the loop here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpk2tdsPh0A

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Incidentally, YouTube sometime later started recommending me videos from his "UncommentatedPannen" channel, and they're actually pretty entertaining looks at all the silly glitches Mario 64 has in it.

Not quite as meme-tastic as the "Watch for Rolling Rocks" video is, but sometimes, just close analysis of a single dumb glitch is sufficient.

fastbilly1
May 11, 2016

hot sauce posted:

It's $30 shipped to get the Japanese copy on ebay too.

Ok this makes more sense. I'll have to check out some stores in rural areas next time.
I had a buddy who lived in Sendai, a good bit north of Tokyo, who would routinely find amazing deals at Book Off, Hard Off, or various random game stores. Back in the day, he was buying Hori Minipads for $5 a pop and flipping them on ebay for close to $100. A couple of the best things he found for me were Hi-Saturn for $10, a boxed Coregrafx for $5, and a SFC version of Rendering Ranger R2 for $1 (No label and in a repro cart but the board was legit). So there are good deals to be had.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Shadow Hog posted:

Incidentally, YouTube sometime later started recommending me videos from his "UncommentatedPannen" channel, and they're actually pretty entertaining looks at all the silly glitches Mario 64 has in it.

Not quite as meme-tastic as the "Watch for Rolling Rocks" video is, but sometimes, just close analysis of a single dumb glitch is sufficient.

The uncommentated channel is also what to follow if you want the new stuff (i.E. new glitches) right off the bat, since the poor guy was completely overwhelmed by the success of the Watch For Rolling Rocks video and now only wants to put out commentated stuff if he puts the same amount of effort into it as he did with that, which isn't really happening. So the uncommentated channel is where all the activity is.

There's also a whole lot of stuff that isn't really related to glitches, but is interesting nonetheless. Did you ever want to watch a 15 minute video on how exactly HP works in Super Mario 64? Probably not, but there is one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeGNpeFOOCY

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Monitor Burn posted:

I have a spare NES with no mainboard if you want it. I'm in Portland, so shipping shouldn't be too much. I can get some pictures once I get back home this weekend.

This would be awesome. I'm actually coming down to Salem for Thanksgiving, so I could always pick it up on the way back Sunday if you're available?

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

fastbilly1 posted:

I had a buddy who lived in Sendai, a good bit north of Tokyo, who would routinely find amazing deals at Book Off, Hard Off, or various random game stores. Back in the day, he was buying Hori Minipads for $5 a pop and flipping them on ebay for close to $100. A couple of the best things he found for me were Hi-Saturn for $10, a boxed Coregrafx for $5, and a SFC version of Rendering Ranger R2 for $1 (No label and in a repro cart but the board was legit). So there are good deals to be had.

I was actually in Sendai on that same recent trip, I just didn't think to look for games until I was in Tokyo :doh:

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Random Stranger posted:

On the PC version, a bug meant that there is only easy mode unless you played the entire game without saving and reloading.

Basic advice I can give. Use fire teams instead of sending people off by themselves. Make sure you use the buttons that reserve movement points for overwatch (that's the wargaming term for shooting out of your turn). For human structures, you can always make your own door if you're concerned about entrances. If you see Chryssalids, get people back to the ship and hit that abort mission button. :v:

More technical advice: fire everyone with a bravery less than thirty because they're going to get your team killed. Build an alien containment unit ASAP and fill it up since you need to capture some particular ranked aliens to unlock very useful things. Don't shoot up the equipment in downed spacecraft; at the very least you can sell the entertainment units to fund your team. Never sell Elerium. If you really want to scam the system, build another base quickly and then transfer all your scientists and engineers between the bases on the last day of the month; you lose two days of work this way but you don't have to pay anyone.

I am playing with OpenXcom, so I am able to get around the difficulty bug. My game is still set to beginner, so it wouldn't matter. I did read a few pointers on Ufopaedia, among which was to never ever sell elerium.

I haven't needed overwatch until recently because chryssalids never got close enough to me. But then one ate my commander because I wasn't paying attention and welp. And Jesus those things take a lot of hits. I've been dropping a save before every mission in case I get roflstomped, but I seem to be pressing on no matter how pyhrric my victories are. And now the UK has sided with the aliens and.... :ohdear:

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

fastbilly1 posted:

Tetris Battle Gaiden is incredible. It is VS Tetris with Magical Drop like powers based on what character you pick.

Also look for:
Battle Jockey - Mario Kart horse racing - 5 player
Battle Cross - Super Sprint meets Bomberman - 5 player
Gundam Wing: Endless Duel - Dont worry about being a Gundam fan, it is one of the best fighters on the console and usually very cheap.
Godzilla - Kaijuu Daikessen - The good Godzilla SNES game
Super Bomberman 5 - 4 player with Roos
Super Puyo Puyo 2 - 4 player

These are all on my list except for Battle Cross, which I own and failed to mention. That one seems to be getting harder to find on eBay for a decent price, too.

Also I didn't mention the other two Parodius games because depending on your definition of cheap they may not be, but they aren't absurdly priced and are also totally worth getting. The second one (Goukujou Parodius) is comparatively a bit short, but Kid Dracula and Goemon (Ebisumaru for player 2!) are two of the playable characters/ships. There are slightly enhanced versions of all three SFC games, plus Sexy Parodius, on PS1/Saturn, but they play almost exactly alike and the SFC versions still have some content exclusive to them.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

8-bit Miniboss posted:

The MLiG guys had a breakdown of the NES Classic and confirm the issues with it in detail.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lxek9ZD3Njw

Thanks for the link. It's good they included a pixel-perfect mode and I could probably live with the NTSC-like pallette, but the sound quality and input/sound(!) lag is a dealbreaker. Will wait for the next one, I guess.

So close, Japan.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Forgive me if this has been brought up before, I was following the thread a few months ago, but unbookmarked it until now.

I can get (community-developed-and-maintained) achievements with my retro games now?

http://retroachievements.org/

It's far from perfect, but wow, neat! I'm not any sort of achievement hunter, but at the same time, after playing most of these games to death at this point, it's nice to have extra, trackable objectives added to them.

I'm on there as robotcousin if anyone else wants to add me. :shobon:

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

The Kins posted:

Somewhat relevant considering what it was mostly used for: The Wii Homebrew Channel has been open-sourced to celebrate the Wii's 10th birthday.

This source code release has the "security" that was intended to keep scammers from selling it stripped out (so you can run it on Dolphin... if you want... for some weird reason) and adds an aspect ratio fix when run on the Wii U. Which is, you know, nice.

Somehow I didn't realize it was closed source this whole time, but with the comments w/r/t DRM it makes sense. I guess it wasn't that important to open-source since most of the important stuff ran totally separate from it anyway, but still an interesting curiosity.

I still remember installing an ancient version of it (and BootMii) way back when Twilight Hack was a thing. Ahh, memories...

Motorola 68000
Apr 25, 2014

"Don't be nice. Be good."

liquid courage posted:

Are we talking exclusives or just anything that might be cheap?

exlusives

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Had it for a week, but now my GBA Everdrive has arrived, I can actually try out my new Gameboy Micro. Man this is a nice system, also it so tiny. While I have a Vita and 3DS XL, this will be a great little thing I can just carry around anywhere since it so small I can stick it in my pocket.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

hot sauce posted:

I was recently in Japan and didn't find any retro game stores with prices lower than ebay. I went into Super Potato and a basement store in Akhiabara. Did I just not look hard enough? Why would you buy in these stores over finding a copy on ebay with free shipping?

Was the basement store that place on the main road that's just called "retro game store" or whatever? Because that place is a tourist trap and so is super potato. For retro gaming you have to check out recycle shops like Hard Off which tend to be on the outskirts of cities, like the big Goodwill thrift stores are here. There are some places in Akihabara where you can find good deals but they deal with niche stuff like old PCs and arcade boards. For me akiba was great in a retro gaming sense for it's arcades which I think might be the best on earth, but apart from getting really lucky at the Mandarake there and finding a game that normally goes for 9-10,000 yen for 5000 I didn't find any good deals on console games in Akihabara. Denden Town is an Akiba-like area in Osaka that has better deals even at places like Super Potato, and there's a retro game shop in Kyoto called A-Too that also had reasonable prices.

In all these cases though, you still have to look hard. You need to find the games that are deeply discounted for minor blemishes or systems sold as "junk" which doesn't mean the same thing there as it does here. It might have been easy to go to Japan and come back with amazing things you got for nothing 15 years ago, but they've long since caught on and now you have to put in a little work.

edit:

univbee posted:

I don't think I saw a single good game at any book off I went to. They typically stock only a few FC and SFC games, the rest is more modern stuff. Hard Off is part of the same chain and is where most of the retro gaming stuff is, and they sell consoles too.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

d0s posted:

I don't think I saw a single good game at any book off I went to. They typically stock only a few FC and SFC games, the rest is more modern stuff. Hard Off is part of the same chain and is where most of the retro gaming stuff is, and they sell consoles too.

It was better in Hokkaido a little over 8 years ago. :shobon: Although I did find a Japanese copy of Diablo 2 PC complete at a Hard Off for 300 yen.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

hot sauce posted:

There aren't many cheap game stores in Akihabara, or none at all. Most of them are geared towards tourists and rich nerds so the prices are very high, it's just fun to look at some of the stuff and play games in there.

Nowadays even places like book-off are becoming aware of the market value of some of the games and are raising the prices, but book off is still a little bit cheaper than the specialized stores.

Your best bet for really good deals are probably flea markets and mom and pop second hand stores.

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001
No clever to be found here

Code Jockey posted:

This would be awesome. I'm actually coming down to Salem for Thanksgiving, so I could always pick it up on the way back Sunday if you're available?

Sure, sent a PM

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

TheMcD posted:

The uncommentated channel is also what to follow if you want the new stuff (i.E. new glitches) right off the bat, since the poor guy was completely overwhelmed by the success of the Watch For Rolling Rocks video and now only wants to put out commentated stuff if he puts the same amount of effort into it as he did with that, which isn't really happening. So the uncommentated channel is where all the activity is.

There's also a whole lot of stuff that isn't really related to glitches, but is interesting nonetheless. Did you ever want to watch a 15 minute video on how exactly HP works in Super Mario 64? Probably not, but there is one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeGNpeFOOCY

This man is truly the ulillillia of Mario 64

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Nov 24, 2016

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
One day I will have a reasonable living in a post-Trump America and can afford to hannd someone a blank check to get me a Gradius IV board while on a nerd trip to Japan.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Star Man posted:

One day I will have a reasonable living in a post-Trump America and can afford to hannd someone a blank check to get me a Gradius IV board while on a nerd trip to Japan.

I know very little about Gradius, how much does that normally go for? I do know that western ebay prices for Japanese arcade boards are massively inflated thanks to a French (I think) dude living in Japan who goes by "arcadetower" on ebay who basically raids Japanese PCB shops and then lists them at crazy prices, he's actually been banned by at least one place because he would just clean them out and local people got pissed. He still dominates Japanese PCB sales in the west and has profoundly distorted that market. Boards that you may think always sell for like $500 really go for maybe $250 or less in Japanese shops. Though there are still ridiculously expensive boards like cave stuff, those sell for $6-800 instead of the $1000-1200 they do on ebay.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

d0s posted:

Was the basement store that place on the main road that's just called "retro game store" or whatever? Because that place is a tourist trap and so is super potato. For retro gaming you have to check out recycle shops like Hard Off which tend to be on the outskirts of cities, like the big Goodwill thrift stores are here. There are some places in Akihabara where you can find good deals but they deal with niche stuff like old PCs and arcade boards. For me akiba was great in a retro gaming sense for it's arcades which I think might be the best on earth, but apart from getting really lucky at the Mandarake there and finding a game that normally goes for 9-10,000 yen for 5000 I didn't find any good deals on console games in Akihabara. Denden Town is an Akiba-like area in Osaka that has better deals even at places like Super Potato, and there's a retro game shop in Kyoto called A-Too that also had reasonable prices.

In all these cases though, you still have to look hard. You need to find the games that are deeply discounted for minor blemishes or systems sold as "junk" which doesn't mean the same thing there as it does here. It might have been easy to go to Japan and come back with amazing things you got for nothing 15 years ago, but they've long since caught on and now you have to put in a little work.

Can't remember the name but yeah, it was a store on the main drag, so probably the one you're talking about. There was Zelda music playing on a speaker at the entrance.

Thanks for the info. I'll be visiting again next year and will go off the beaten path to the type of store you mentioned.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
If you're serious about wanting a PCB just hit up Bally and see if they have a used one. Their prices are normally pretty fair.

http://www.bally.co.jp/English/

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Ran into a strange visual artifact playing Faxanadu on my AVS. If your familliar with the game it has a large section with a unique mist effect that appears to be a semitransparent animated foreground. (If you're not you can search for "mist faxanadu" on youtube and find an example pretty fast.) On the original system it looks pretty good as long as you don't really stare it too hard. On the AVS I'm getting some obvious flickering as the animation loops.

Does anyone know what would cause this? My guess is that the horizontal stretch I'm using is causing pixels to flip between one and two wide?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

d0s posted:

I know very little about Gradius, how much does that normally go for? I do know that western ebay prices for Japanese arcade boards are massively inflated thanks to a French (I think) dude living in Japan who goes by "arcadetower" on ebay who basically raids Japanese PCB shops and then lists them at crazy prices, he's actually been banned by at least one place because he would just clean them out and local people got pissed. He still dominates Japanese PCB sales in the west and has profoundly distorted that market. Boards that you may think always sell for like $500 really go for maybe $250 or less in Japanese shops. Though there are still ridiculously expensive boards like cave stuff, those sell for $6-800 instead of the $1000-1200 they do on ebay.

I'm not sure what a reasonable price for a Gradius IV PCB is. There's one on a website called coinopexpress for $793 and I know that is not at all reasonable.

I dunno. It's more of a pipe dream to have a Gradius PCB and the space and other equipment to set it up and use it and having company over often enough to share that with.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

d0s posted:

There are plenty of combination Hard/Book/all of their half dozen other chains/Offs around, but not in Tokyo itself. You have to get out a bit to find those locations.

Speaking of which, I'm going to the Gardina, CA location tomorrow. We'll see how I do.

Here's a phrase never heard in American airports: "Would the traveler who lost a WonderSwan on Flight XXX from XXXX please return to the gate for a lost item." It fell out of my pocket while I was squirming around to get out of the tiny commuter flight seat.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Yeah I posted about this too maybe a year or so ago? It's a really cool concept, but most of the achievs aren't very inspired. Lots of "Clear stage <x>", but few off-the-beaten-path or score/challenge-type ones. But it's all user-generated so it depends on whoever is making them. And you have to download separate emulators for each system, they should consider moving to a multi-core environment like Mednafen or BizHawk, but that's probably a lot of work. Also no arcade games. :(

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Ofecks posted:

Yeah I posted about this too maybe a year or so ago? It's a really cool concept, but most of the achievs aren't very inspired. Lots of "Clear stage <x>", but few off-the-beaten-path or score/challenge-type ones. But it's all user-generated so it depends on whoever is making them. And you have to download separate emulators for each system, they should consider moving to a multi-core environment like Mednafen or BizHawk, but that's probably a lot of work. Also no arcade games. :(

Use Retroarch, it fully supports this site/system now.

Speaking of, Retroarch looks a HELL of a lot better than I remember it, but I haven't used it in about a year or so. It's all nice and Playstation-esque.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Improbable Lobster posted:

If you can hold down the button after pressing it once for the first star then it's one press.

If you have to press and hold the button a second time then it's two.

You get Star 1 by pressing A once. You never let go of A. You get star 2 because you have been holding A.

How many A presses did each star take?

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!
I never had many NES titles growing up so I've been digging through the library on RetroPie. I came across VICE: Project Doom. It's a really fun action game. Driving levels play like Spy Hunter, but after the opening you get a pretty sweet sidescrolling action game. It sorta feels like an unlicensed Big Trouble in Little China game.

I definitely recommend it if you've never tried it out. Any other suggestions for lesser known NES titles?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I don't know if it's really considered lesser known but Crystalis is still one of my favorite games. A futuristic Zelda.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Medullah posted:

I don't know if it's really considered lesser known but Crystalis is still one of my favorite games. A futuristic Zelda.

Crystalis is the only game I know of where you are forced to hit max EXP level.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Use Retroarch, it fully supports this site/system now.

Speaking of, Retroarch looks a HELL of a lot better than I remember it, but I haven't used it in about a year or so. It's all nice and Playstation-esque.

Okay, I'll give it a whirl... how do I do this? None of the RA emulators appear in the in-system download menu so I assume I'll have to manually add them somehow?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Ofecks posted:

Okay, I'll give it a whirl... how do I do this? None of the RA emulators appear in the in-system download menu so I assume I'll have to manually add them somehow?

No, you don't need those emulators, you literally just need Retroarch and the corresponding games. The dude making Retroarch added support for the achievement tracking himself. Get whatever core is required for the system (like Nestopia for NES, for example... or one of the others that are available), sign in to your Retroachievements account through the emulator (and enable hardcore mode :getin:), and you should be good to go. Find a super easy achievement on the site, and test it out. That should be all you need to do.

The emulators listed on the retroachievements.org site are the ones to use if you wanted to make your own achievements to submit.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

No, you don't need those emulators, you literally just need Retroarch and the corresponding games. The dude making Retroarch added support for the achievement tracking himself. Get whatever core is required for the system (like Nestopia for NES, for example... or one of the others that are available), sign in to your Retroachievements account through the emulator (and enable hardcore mode :getin:), and you should be good to go. Find a super easy achievement on the site, and test it out. That should be all you need to do.

The emulators listed on the retroachievements.org site are the ones to use if you wanted to make your own achievements to submit.

Okay, thanks. I see an option for "Retro Achievements" in the config menu, I guess I just have to turn that on. I don't see where to sign into RA. Do I have to load a game first? Apparently you can't just navigate to the directory and type in a title like in Windows file dialog. I have full No-Intro sets so this is kind of a pain.

e: you can use Windows file dialog from the menu bar, but you literally can't use their UI to search for a game. Holy gently caress, why even have a fancy UI if it doesn't do that?

Ofecks fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Nov 24, 2016

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Ofecks posted:

Okay, thanks. I see an option for "Retro Achievements" in the config menu, I guess I just have to turn that on. I don't see where to sign into RA. Do I have to load a game first? Apparently you can't just navigate to the directory and type in a title like in Windows file dialog. I have full No-Intro sets so this is kind of a pain.

You have to sign in under the 'user' section. Took me a little while to find it, and ideally, there'd be a quick link to that section when you get to the retro achievements part, but no there isn't. There won't be any sort of confirmation that you've put in your credentials properly, but when you load up a game (RetroArch can either load a file, or you can scan folders for stuff, and I believe you can set up playlists later on, once your games are located by the emulator), the website will immediately show on your profile feed on the site that you've done so, so don't be putting on Barbie's Mall Nightmare.

Or definitely do that. :getin:

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

DeathBySpoon posted:

I definitely recommend it if you've never tried it out. Any other suggestions for lesser known NES titles?

I assume you want NES, not Famicom? My lesser known games list usually includes stuff like Crystalis, Conquest of the Crystal Palace, Clash at Demonhead, Whomp 'em! , Felix the Cat, Xexyz, W.U.R.M or even Action in New York (or S.C.A.T).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

DoctorWhat posted:

You get Star 1 by pressing A once. You never let go of A. You get star 2 because you have been holding A.

How many A presses did each star take?

One press. Did you not read my post? It's one, whether you've let go or not. Is your finger pressing down a button? That's a button press.

• Locked thread