Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This game is
This poll is closed.
Great! 180 32.61%
Awesome! 212 38.41%
Good! 160 28.99%
Total: 552 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Yeah I hope this game is good but yeah final fantasy for me has essentially been on the ropes (not counting ff14 which is fun but it's an mmo and not a single player game), and there's a lot of stuff that turns me off this game from playing the demos. Reading some impressions recently seems like they fixed a lot of the issues from the demo but some of the footage I watch still looks very rough, like just some awful frame rates. Also kingsglaive loving sucked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Vitamin P posted:

It was really weird how Bad Movie Kingsglaive had Lena Headey playing a nice princess I kept waiting for her to start schemin'.

I'm just glad she played a princess who didn't do anything weird with her brother for once.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I'm just glad she played a princess who didn't do anything weird with her brother for once.

That we know of.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
All these spoilers but I don't see anyone spoiling how combo MAD tier the combat becomes when fully upgraded.

Please spoil that for me.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Nina posted:

All these spoilers but I don't see anyone spoiling how combo MAD tier the combat becomes when fully upgraded.

Please spoil that for me.

Don't expect DMC, but it definitely is more engaging and has a higher skill ceiling than any other game in the series. It's definitely possible to do some slick things like chain between mobs using warp strikes, switch weapons on the fly, etc. It can be tough to pull those things off though, because targeting can be a little finicky when there are a bunch of monsters. Also, magic is neat but doesn't flow well with the melee combat, so don't expect to mix magic in with your sweet combos - it's definitely something you either use at the start of a fight, or back out of the main melee and use from a distance.

7 hours in, just getting ready to leave the very first explorable area. If the other open world sections are like this, then people probably shouldn't worry about game length. Plenty of poo poo to explore and do. Seems like it's super easy to outlevel the main quest if you do a bunch of side content, by the way. My next main quest is level 8, and I'm level 16 just from doing the available side content in the first area. Oh, and pay attention when the game tells you that you will get hosed up at night in the beginning. They very much mean business.

Also, reiterating that the dungeons in this game are on point. There are three in the very first area (one big one, one medium, and one short side-quest related one) and all three are pretty neat. I would probably buy DLC packs that just add in dungeons to the various areas.

VanillaGorilla fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Nov 24, 2016

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

How is the auto-save system working out for you? Worth continuing with the good habit of saving manually, for those of us who like to explore and get the most out of an area before moving on?

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
Oh I'm not expecting anything DMC-ish. Just like a bit of an incentive to vary your combat up in ways that look cool.

I'm still playing around in the demo and I should really figure out how weapon switching combos work. I've managed to make three different moves come out switching from the basic sword to a greatsword but can't seem to figure out how to get specific ones to occur. The really fast spin attack is way superior to the other ones.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

MrLonghair posted:

How is the auto-save system working out for you? Worth continuing with the good habit of saving manually, for those of us who like to explore and get the most out of an area before moving on?

You're probably going to want to save manually as much as possible. It will auto-save when you camp, and when you do things like complete a quest, but otherwise it's not very frequent. There don't appear to be auto-save checkpoints in dungeons, for example.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Soul Glo posted:

Really? Does MS have a history of letting pricing errors go through (is this even a pricing error?)? I usually see people in threads jumping on stuff like that and then posting later going "Welp, that got canceled."

They sent me an order confirmation, but my card doesn't get charged until it ships, so there's like a good solid six days here for it to get canceled, looks like. I picked the Standard free shipping, dunno if that would even get here on launch day or not.

Idk about MS, but back when Dying Light came out PSN had a bug where buying the season pass would get you the full game instead, and not only did they honor it, they gave me the season pass for free as compensation

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Those are no pricing errors, they are all done on purpose and it's not the first time MS etc do it. PS4 version FF15 preorders were in the top five and the Xbone one wasn't even on the list at Amazon eventually. They gave away Destiny XB1 to make a pretty NPD PR statement and that's my other suspicion. I'd be a bit grumpy had I already placed and paid for my preorder by the time that arose.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

MrLonghair posted:

Those are no pricing errors, they are all done on purpose and it's not the first time MS etc do it. PS4 version FF15 preorders were in the top five and the Xbone one wasn't even on the list at Amazon eventually. They gave away Destiny XB1 to make a pretty NPD PR statement and that's my other suspicion. I'd be a bit grumpy had I already placed and paid for my preorder by the time that arose.

Oh, neat, I guess. It'll be weird as gently caress playing a Final Fantasy on an Xbox, but 40% off is worth it, provided it actually runs decently enough.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Soul Glo posted:

Oh, neat, I guess. It'll be weird as gently caress playing a Final Fantasy on an Xbox, but 40% off is worth it, provided it actually runs decently enough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDa8venns9E

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

At least there's no having to switch DVDs this time around.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Doesn't look as good as the Pro, of course, but it looks... fine? I'm mostly concerned about the frame rate; the last I've really paid attention to this game was Duscae, and I'm really glad they pushed it back after that.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Soul Glo posted:

Doesn't look as good as the Pro, of course, but it looks... fine? I'm mostly concerned about the frame rate; the last I've really paid attention to this game was Duscae, and I'm really glad they pushed it back after that.

I think the framerate is fine on all the versions tested. The problem is the frame pacing, but thats a thing not everyone notices or only notice on certain times.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Good job dating your post, idiot!

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
Was the Deluxe Edition a limited-number pre-order only version? I like the metal case and other items juuuust enough to consider spending the extra $, but it appears to be sold out everywhere I look. I'm in Montreal so amazon.ca, EBGames, Best Buy, and Wal-Mart are my usual options, but perhaps I'm over-looking some place.

Merci!

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

i think you'll find that i think the game will be pretty bad

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀 good poo poo go౦ԁ poo poo👌 thats ✔ some good👌👌poo poo right👌👌there👌👌👌 right✔there ✔✔if i do ƽaү so my self 💯 i say so 💯 thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ) mMMMMᎷМ💯 👌👌 👌НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ👌 👌👌 👌 💯 👌 👀 👀 👀 👌👌Good poo poo

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

in it, voted 5

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

hello im ready for the ffxv

Wendell
May 11, 2003

I'm excited for the XV!

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Super No Vacancy posted:

in it, voted 5

Same

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Is that Chie in that weird guy's collage

Is Chie in FF15? I would have bought it way sooner had I known, tbh

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Soul Glo posted:

Is that Chie in that weird guy's collage

Is Chie in FF15? I would have bought it way sooner had I known, tbh

who looks like chie

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Erg posted:

You didnt show up in the weeb collage, sad.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Tae posted:

who looks like chie

<-------, I'm assuming

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

In fairness, there is a vague resemblance.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Thank you for reminding me my av is good and so will be FFXV

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Cao Ni Ma posted:

You didnt show up in the weeb collage, sad.

will there be a part 2 if i play ffxv and say it's good

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

FFXV will likely be my GOTY, even if it turns out to be a dud.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I'm replaying 12 international edition to get my fix in and now I am really hyped for that remake. The original had issues but the class system and gambit changes fixed all of it.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Gumball Gumption posted:

I'm replaying 12 international edition to get my fix in and now I am really hyped for that remake. The original had issues but the class system and gambit changes fixed all of it.

The "remake" is like 99% what you're playing right now.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Tae posted:

The "remake" is like 99% what you're playing right now.

The textures and voices are better but yeah. Content should be exactly the same unless they decide to rearrange the music again (dont do it SE)

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

What I played two months ago didn't have fixed voices for the record

Barudak
May 7, 2007

SE did mention possible other tweaks but it's probably just more cheats added to the game and not like, adding a steal gambit.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Erg posted:

i too am ready for the final fantasy fifteen (XV)

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Arist posted:

What I played two months ago didn't have fixed voices for the record

Haha S-E

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

It would not surprise me if they somehow lost the masters for the original performances, and are stuck using what they do have.

• Locked thread