Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

mcmagic posted:

Abzan is good in the world of Infect and Affinity but I'm seeing nothing but Bant Eldrazi and Tron. Makes it very rough to try to play any GB deck.

My FNMs are a hellscape of grixis, eldrazi, ponza, and titanshift. Lots of Blood Moons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

ThePeavstenator posted:

After going 4-0, 4-0 , and 3-1 in my last few FNMs with the same list I have an opinion about Modern Junk:

Grim Flayer is good as a 2/2 and the 4/4 mode should be seen as a bonus, don't put bad cycling artifacts in your deck just to try and turn it on.

What counts as a "bad" cycling artifact in your point of view? Been running a single Nihil Spellbomb but debating whether or not it should be an EE instead.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

ThePeavstenator posted:

My FNMs are a hellscape of grixis, eldrazi, ponza, and titanshift. Lots of Blood Moons.

Ponza owns

C-Euro posted:

What counts as a "bad" cycling artifact in your point of view? Been running a single Nihil Spellbomb but debating whether or not it should be an EE instead.

people were playing noted $45 uncommon Mishra's Bauble for a time in Junk and Jund

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

Ponza owns

people were playing noted $45 uncommon Mishra's Bauble for a time in Junk and Jund

It's $20... Not $45.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

thanks corn cob

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

it was $50 or whatever for a little before everyone realized that was completely insane. Now it's fallen down to plain ol' insane

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

C-Euro posted:

Baubles and Spellbombs. They're trying to introduce synergy at the cost of value in a value deck. I don't like the fact that they make hands that are iffy keeps even more iffy. Late game I've died more than a few times to top decking land, bauble, land when any action in that slot would have kept me alive for a bit longer.

Grim Flayer getting bolted is still a 1-for-1 which the deck is more than happy to do, and connecting with it once will likely give you action you're looking for and can even turn itself on. There's also the fact that artifact is the 3rd type in your yard half the time and not the 4th which kind of defeats the whole purpose of having it in there anyway.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

This is a legit opinion, even if I loving loathe that name.

I've been running this online for two months or so: https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/491719#paper.

I keep going 4-1 in competitive leagues, I always have to mulligan into oblivion in game 3 of the final round :negative:

One of my favorite wins was last night...

What I don't get is they saw a turn 2 BM game 1 that just got an immediate concession......why would you risk that when I had no threats down? What was the rush?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I haven't played bloomless titan but amulet bloom could never beat a moon unless you drew your seal or landed a Titan before moon came down, so assuming the mana base is basically the same it's like, yeah, if they have it you look stupid, but if they have it you've 99% lost anyway

Elyv fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Nov 14, 2016

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe
I'm really looking forward to running this list on Friday. I'm sure I'll stumble on mana or draw nothing but ramp spells, but that's what happens when you play these decks. I'm just giddy to use my japanese breaches.

Deck: Breach Shift

//Main
2 Anger of the Gods
3 Bloodstained Mire
2 Cinder Glade
1 Courser of Kruphix
1 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
3 Farseek
2 Forest
3 Lightning Bolt
6 Mountain
4 Primeval Titan
4 Sakura-Tribe Elder
1 Scapeshift
4 Search for Tomorrow
3 Simian Spirit Guide
4 Stomping Ground
3 Summoner's Pact
4 Through the Breach
2 Urabrask the Hidden
4 Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle
4 Wooded Foothills

//Sideboard
1 Ancient Grudge
2 Destructive Revelry
2 Grafdigger's Cage
1 Pithing Needle
1 Relic of Progenitus
2 Spellskite
1 Sudden Shock
3 Summoning Trap
2 Thragtusk

Display deck statistics

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

BaronVonVaderham posted:

This is a legit opinion, even if I loving loathe that name.

I've been running this online for two months or so: https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/491719#paper.

nice. I've been playing a version with Eldritch Evolutions for magus and other shenanigans. also playing the Madcap Experiments + Platinum Emperion plan out of the board

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

EvilBeard posted:

I'm really looking forward to running this list on Friday. I'm sure I'll stumble on mana or draw nothing but ramp spells, but that's what happens when you play these decks. I'm just giddy to use my japanese breaches.

Deck: Breach Shift

Not sure if I agree with going halfsies on the Scapeshift kill and the Emrakul kill, I'd pick one or the other if possible. However, Urbrask is extremely spicy and I' stealing that idea if I can't find a third Emrakul for my own list by next FNM.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

C-Euro posted:

Not sure if I agree with going halfsies on the Scapeshift kill and the Emrakul kill, I'd pick one or the other if possible. However, Urbrask is extremely spicy and I' stealing that idea if I can't find a third Emrakul for my own list by next FNM.

I loved it back in the old Valakut (standard) days, so I thought I'd throw it in. I'm just testing it, so we'll see if I want to add a second Scapeshift or Emrakul. Generally either one is game over.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

nice. I've been playing a version with Eldritch Evolutions for magus and other shenanigans. also playing the Madcap Experiments + Platinum Emperion plan out of the board

Hmmm, that is a nice sideboard option against burn..... I just don't know that I'd want to cut the additional creature package (for things like Tron where I just cut all my burn and clog the board).

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

EvilBeard posted:

I loved it back in the old Valakut (standard) days, so I thought I'd throw it in. I'm just testing it, so we'll see if I want to add a second Scapeshift or Emrakul. Generally either one is game over.

Having played a poo poo-ton of RG Breach, I would suggest the following things:

Emrakul is amazing not because he's a big bad that wins the game, but because he's a big bad that wins the game through a lot of hate. He kills Leyline effects and Bloodmoon effects.

You have 12 mountains, 2 forests, and 4 valakuts. If you ramp up to 7 lands without using forests (you don't ever want to find them unless there's a moon-type concern) or valakuts, you cannot scapeshift any longer, as you only have 5 fetchable mountains. This gets even worse if you have lands in the hand.

Simian Spirit Guide is only good for casting a ramp spell on T1. Your deck wants lands, not just ramp, and it naturally goes T2->4, T3->6, T4->Win. It also goes T1 Search, T2->3, T3 5 with breach. Simian spirit guide allows you to pretend that you're doing that T3 win with a different ramp spell, but is otherwise useless and not speeding up your clock in comparison to another land ramp spell.

Urabrask is spicy but the deck doesn't land on 5s often. With simian spirit guide you might?

6 "interaction" spells is about the absolute max this deck wants in the main, and you've got 3 bolts, 2 anger, and 1 courser. Consider shifting this mix up based on your meta. I run one fewer anger and an extra courser

Consistency is really key - I went up to 2 Summoning Traps and 3 emrakuls in my deck in the main. You only have 9 win conditions in your deck and one of them is a combo of breach+emrakul, one requires 7 lands, and 3 are summoners pacts, I wound up with 12 with my mix.

On the sideboard:

Spellskite seems really bad. You are either winning or they're pathing your guy and taking 6 damage / losing two creatures off the mountain from path. There's not much point in saving your primetime by taking a whole turn off of ramp.

Destructive Revelry - again, I avoid this entirely by relying on 3 emrakuls and annihilator 6's ability to clean up pretty much everything. 2 damage is pretty worthless, I would consider something easier to cast. You deal damage in chunks of 18 and the decks that aren't taking 2 off their manabase are decks you go long against.

Thragtusk - I prefer Obstinate Baloth as he hits turn 3 very consistently. Turn 4 for Thragtusk means they can easily have a skullcrack/command up and blank this. Baloth doesn't die to bolt, either, which is the chief benefit of the 3/3 off Thraggy - going T3 Baloth, gaining 4 to blank a burn spell, and then trading with bolt+critter or double bolt is better than going T4 to just gain 5 life and trade with double bolt in a lot of cases, imho.

Have fun regardless, emrakul and primetime are the most fun things you can do in magic that don't involve producing 10+ mana in a turn.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Do you run any SB enchantment hate at all? I had Revelries as well as I worry about stuff like Blood Moon and Leyline of Sanctity when I can't just stick an Emrakul to run them over. Might make one or two of them into Ancient Grudges though as stuff like Ensnaring Bridge and Grafdigger's Cage are just as bad.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Woo, first competitive modern league 5-0 with B/W Eldrazi and Taxes. There's just something about getting to play strip mine in modern.

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

Grey Hunter's next target.

http://imgur.com/a/DxVcm

Greatest thief in the multiverse.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
wtf did i just play against

it felt like someone shuffled pauper affinity with pauper edicts and then entered a legacy queue with it

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Nov 17, 2016

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
It looks like someone indeed took a pauper metalcraft deck and queued it into Legacy either by accident or on a dare.

The Khans gainlands are the biggest tell, since they're a pauper staple and unplayed in any other format.

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

Back when you had legacy dailies, you occasionally had people entering with pauper decks. I guess someone decided to keep doing so with leagues.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Rogue0071 posted:

Back when you had legacy dailies, you occasionally had people entering with pauper decks. I guess someone decided to keep doing so with leagues.

this was just a queue, not a leauge

it didn't go well for them

i just managed to beat Miracles with Opposition and now I'm too jacked up to sleep

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Need someone to talk me out of trying this deck out, deep down I know it's just a worse BW Tokens but it's hilarious when it works and I have everything besides the PWs anyway-

Deck: Polymorph Tokens

//Lands
1 Caves of Koilos
2 Concealed Courtyard
4 Flooded Strand
2 Godless Shrine
1 Hallowed Fountain
1 Island
1 Isolated Chapel
3 Marsh Flats
4 Plains
1 Swamp
1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
1 Vault of the Archangel

//Spells
1 Anguished Unmaking
3 Collective Brutality
1 Gideon, Ally of Zendikar
3 Inquisition of Kozilek
4 Intangible Virtue
1 Liliana of the Veil
4 Lingering Souls
3 Path to Exile
4 Polymorph
4 Raise the Alarm
1 Sorin, Solemn Visitor
2 Spectral Procession
3 Thoughtseize
3 Timely Reinforcements

//Creatures
1 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn

//Sideboard
1 Anguished Unmaking
1 Deathmark
1 Kataki, War's Wage
3 Leyline of Sanctity
1 Pithing Needle
2 Rest in Peace
2 Stony Silence
2 Sundering Growth
1 Wrath of God
1 Zealous Persecution

Display deck statistics

The non-LOTV PWs should probably all be Lilis but I'm cheap. Also don't know if I like Procession in a two-color deck with a splash.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Nov 21, 2016

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Splashing a third color is a little odd but not that hard and a bunch of random red decks have started jamming in Madcap packages so Polymorph > Emrakul doesn't seem like the actual worst.

Seems liable to result in some feelbad moments where you polymorph him out, then he gets wrathed and shuffles a bunch of Lingering Souls back into your library though.

3x Timely maindeck seem aggressive for how often they'll be unusable though.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Getting wrathed with Emrakul in play isn't something I'm super-worried about, since I not only get her back in the deck (barring exile effects) but also all of my token generators.

You're probably right on Reinforcements but the quality of token generators drops when you go past the ones I'm already running. I've also looked at creatures like Cryptbreaker that let you pitch to make tokens in case I draw Emrakul :shrug: Should probably just run more Processions and cut Island/Vault for white mana, but I did have a game where I was stuck on three mana with Polymorph in hand and tokens in play, and my opponent Path'd a token which let me grab my Island, untap and combo off.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Rogue0071 posted:

http://imgur.com/a/DxVcm

Greatest thief in the multiverse.

what are you playing? UWR mentor or something?

i don't see the card snapcaster mage all that much in vintage

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

what are you playing? UWR mentor or something?

i don't see the card snapcaster mage all that much in vintage

Big blue UWR control.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I'm putting together budget RG Ponza in Modern, substituting the Dark Dwellers / Stone Rain package over Blood Moons, and I'm looking for other cards to abuse with Dark Dwellers. I dunno if I'm ready to try Boom//Bust yet, but I'm looking for other cards that have good synergy with the flashback. The biggest candidates I'm seeing right now are cards like Pulse of Murasa and maybe Feed the Clan in the sideboard, but are there any staple options I'm missing?

I'm already running a bunch of Angers in the sideboard.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

I've found my niche, and it's bad sultai piles.

edit2: holy gently caress is this list fun to pilot.

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Nov 24, 2016

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

Tim Raines IRL posted:

Found gerard fabiano's SA account

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Voyager I posted:

I'm putting together budget RG Ponza in Modern, substituting the Dark Dwellers / Stone Rain package over Blood Moons, and I'm looking for other cards to abuse with Dark Dwellers. I dunno if I'm ready to try Boom//Bust yet, but I'm looking for other cards that have good synergy with the flashback. The biggest candidates I'm seeing right now are cards like Pulse of Murasa and maybe Feed the Clan in the sideboard, but are there any staple options I'm missing?

I'm already running a bunch of Angers in the sideboard.

Magma Jet and pulse are the closest you'll get to a value spell in R/G.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

That deck is beautiful

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Question: am I crazy for wanting to prefer Tombstalker over Gurmag Angler? Is the one extra black mana in the casting cost that big of a deal breaker just for something with wings?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I think most decks running Angler are three-color decks in Modern, so maybe the extra black is an issue.

Tim Raines IRL posted:

edit2: holy gently caress is this list fun to pilot.

Shocklands in Legacy :lol: Owns

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Star Man posted:

Question: am I crazy for wanting to prefer Tombstalker over Gurmag Angler? Is the one extra black mana in the casting cost that big of a deal breaker just for something with wings?

I tried having a 3/2/1 Taisgur/Angler/Stalker split in Grixis Delver and the forced BB actually did hurt in many games. It also just won me a couple games.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Procrastinator posted:

Found gerard fabiano's SA account

Missing copies of Ashiok

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Snuff Out + Death's Shadow is a hell of a pair.

Too bad you can't target yourself with the life loss on DRS.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Every time I think about playing Death's Shadow in Legacy I remember its extremely awkward interaction with enemy Swords to Plowshares and I stop considering it.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Elyv posted:

Every time I think about playing Death's Shadow in Legacy I remember its extremely awkward interaction with enemy Swords to Plowshares and I stop considering it.

snuff out in response, problem solved >.<

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Elyv posted:

I bet there's been an occasion or two where pointing a Swords to Plowshares at your own Death's Shadow was the only way you were going to survive a game.