Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011
The Legacy of Abu Hajaar
http://spioenkop.blogspot.ca/2016/11/the-islamic-state-going-diy-birth-of.html

Many of the vehicles seen in that video with thread favorite incompetent jihadi Abu Hajaar have been found by Iraqi forces. Basically, they are "forlorn hope" shock cavalry designed to go fast, crack the line and open ways for ordinary infantry. Problem is, while it is quite effective against other light infantry forces, random militias or poorly-led armies, it very sharply drops in usefulness against a decently-led army with guided artillery and air support.

Also: The Al-Bab region is a microcosm of the mess, drat. SAA, FSA+TAF, SDF, Daesh all pushing for the same point.

Also: shingal.png:

Will internal Kurdish politics ever unfuck itself?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Can someone explain internal Kurdish politics and a short history? I really can't wrap my brain around it.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Something I am grateful for this Thanksgiving! :yeah:

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
https://twitter.com/Naharnet/status/801841858024501248

More airstrikes on Turks.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/KyleWOrton/status/801768019743666176

Amuda is right next to Qamishli, which has been the hub of dissent against the PYD.

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

Well, this kinda kills the idea of Euphrates Shield lifting the siege of east Aleppo:
https://www.reddit.com/r/syriancivilwar/comments/5epanv/turkey_pm_y%C4%B1ld%C4%B1r%C4%B1m_we_are_not_threating/
https://twitter.com/anadoluajansi/status/801861173977214976

quote:

#BaşbakanYıldırım: Suriye'nin toprak bütünlüğüne karşı bir düşüncemiz yok. Halep'e yürümek gibi bir hedefimiz yok.
Turkey PM Yıldırım: we are not threating territorial integrity of Syria, also we don't have in plans to attack Aleppo city

Some depressing news from Iraq:
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-38090006

quote:

Some 77 people, most of them Shia pilgrims from Iran and Afghanistan, have been killed in a truck bomb attack in Iraq, officials say. The blast struck at a petrol station and restaurant near Hilla, some 100 km (60 miles) south of Baghdad.

Busloads of pilgrims had stopped there on their way home from commemorating Arbaeen in the holy city of Karbala. Some 40 people were wounded. The jihadist group Islamic State said it carried out the attack.

A senior local police officer told the BBC that the victims were on board four buses filling up with fuel at the road stop near the village of Shomali, 80 km (50 miles) south-east of Karbala. A truck loaded with ammonia nitrate and other explosive material as well as fuel had been parked at the petrol station, and caused massive damage when it was detonated.
ISIL car-bombed a bunch of civilians.:smith:

Svartvit
Jun 18, 2005

al-Qabila samaa Bahth

Cat Mattress posted:

And since the SPA was about defining the contemporary borders of Iraq, Syria, and neighboring countries, the fact that these SPA borders have never come close to being made official, and all the official border-fixing that happened was completely disconnected from the SPA, it doesn't mean to you that SPA was never applied?

As for defined, see again all the stuff about nobody having any idea what the "A" and "B" areas were supposed to be. A single independent country? Two separate, independent countries in a confederation? Who cares anyway, that never happened actually, since, again, Sykes-Picot was never applied.

No, the agreement was between Britain and France and concerned who would have which sphere of influence. A was to be France's sphere and B was to be Britain's sphere. As it turned out, France would later control A (Syria) and Britain would control B (Palestine, Transjordan, Iraq). More importantly, no sphere would be controlled by the Arabs which was the major issue. Both Britain and France worked towards restructuring the nation states' borders within their respective zones so of course the borders of today doesn't correspond to the map signed by Sykes and Picot.

Svartvit fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Nov 24, 2016

Doom Sleigher
Dec 29, 2004

SA_Avenger posted:

https://twitter.com/metesohtaoglu/status/801783960200040448

When you thought there couldn't be more people involved in the country. Egypt chimes in.

Can a WWIII be called a World War if every nation is fighting mostly within one or two nations?

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Svartvit posted:

No, the agreement was between Britain and France and concerned who would have which sphere of influence. A was to be France's sphere and B was to be Britain's sphere. As it turned out, France would later control A (Syria) and Britain would control B (Palestine, Transjordan, Iraq). More importantly, no sphere would be controlled by the Arabs which was the major issue. Both Britain and France worked towards restructuring the nation states' borders within their respective zones so of course the borders of today doesn't correspond to the map signed by Sykes and Picot.

Yeah. We can't blame everything in the region on Sykes-Picot, but it is very central to a lot of stuff, and we definitely can't hand-wave it away because the exact letter of the agreement wasn't followed.

Hell, in the agreement Russia was supposed to get Constantinople! Imagine how that would have gone down.

mediadave
Sep 8, 2011

coupbrick posted:

Can a WWIII be called a World War if every nation is fighting mostly within one or two nations?

There have been occasional reports for months of Egyptian advisers arriving in Syria. I expect that the reports of actual frontline assistance by the Egyptians won't lead to anything - like the occasional reports of China sending forces, I think it's more wishful thinking on the part of regime tweepers.

That said, Egypt is now pretty explicitly supporting Assad:

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2016/11/egypt-sisi-expresses-support-syria-military-161123150315176.html

quote:

"Our priority is to support national armies, for example in Libya to assert control over Libyan territories and deal with extremist elements. The same with Syria and Iraq," he said, responding to a question on whether Egypt would contemplate a UN peacekeeping role in Syria.

Asked by the interviewer whether he meant the Syrian military, he responded: "Yes."

Czer
Apr 21, 2005

by Pragmatica

Brown Moses posted:

Charles Lister just published a lengthy report on the history of the Free Syrian Army, good read for understanding a complex organisation
https://www.brookings.edu/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/iwr_20161123_free_syrian_army.pdf

Eliot Higgins quoting the yellow journalist Charles Lister? Sounds about right.

How's the war going Al-Saqr? See you in Aleppo, Mosul, Raqqa, Tel Afar, and Al Bab.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Czer fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Nov 25, 2016

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Czer, I'm just curious; what is your stance and opinion on everything related to the region?

Czer
Apr 21, 2005

by Pragmatica
It's an awful place filled with a lot of terrible people, and the most ignorant albeit loudest westerners are telling you guys what their expert opinions are.

When the ones who truly want to understand the region are not being bombarded with agenda pushing yellow journalist hacks or adult children who are having existential crisis over their emotions, when you actually go out of your way to learn from better sources you will see.

Czer fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Nov 25, 2016

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
I gathered as much that it's an awful place, but are you taking sides/sympathizing with any actors in the conflict and why?

I personally can't sympathize with anyone other than innocent civilians in this conflict, but that's just me.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

coupbrick posted:

Let me tell you of this place called Belgium...

Czer
Apr 21, 2005

by Pragmatica
This video sums up everything for the region. Ask these same people what their plan is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BEsZMvrq-I

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Pretty funny to be called ignorant by a guy who can't seem to figure out what "don't post in the ME thread anymore" means.

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug

Cat Mattress posted:

Why does this thing always come back up when historically it was never applied, nor even really defined? People drop the Sykes-Picot name as a lazy way to mention colonial occupation.

The book I was recommending A Peace to End all Peace goes into detail on the confusion Britan had with regard to overestimating their spotty information on the middle east throughout WWI and the Sykes-Picot agreement is a well known example of failures of communication within government and between governments.

You're right that I was using it as shorthand to imply the book covered those sort of events from that period.

Cirofren fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Nov 25, 2016

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

coupbrick posted:

WW3 shall hence be known as "World Proxy War".

Bad news, this happened:
https://twitter.com/W7VOA/status/801896790857490432

quote:

A US service member in northern #Syria has died from wounds sustained in an explosion, says @CENTCOM.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

uncleKitchener posted:

Can someone explain internal Kurdish politics and a short history? I really can't wrap my brain around it.

Imagine a mobius strip of boots with three letters on them stomping on each other for infinity.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos
yellow journalism is any journalism that reports facts contrary to my enlightened understanding.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I thought yellow journalism was celebrity gossip and that poo poo? I don't get it...

I prefer World War Abu Hajaar

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aM3ElTvF52I

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Dutch news: Erdogan announced that the 3.5 million refugees in Turkey will be in the EU one way or another, either the EU puts Turkey on a fast track to membership or he'll throw all of them across the Greek border at the same time. From the same speech, "I don't care about human rights".

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
can't we build a wall

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Paging Viktor Orbán...

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The next Turkish coup can't happen soon enough, what's the schedule, Brown Moses?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Kurtofan posted:

can't we build a wall

We already did in Bulgaria! That just drove them to the sea. Watch Erdogan start transporting refugees by catapult.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Could the Gulf states maybe carry some of the burden? Maybe as Zakat? cheers!

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

coupbrick posted:

The Second Congo War is also called the Great War of Africa, Great African War, and the African World War.

Going off that somewhat similar proxy war this is the Great War for Syria, Great Middle Eastern War, World War of the Middle East.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Asehujiko posted:

Dutch news: Erdogan announced that the 3.5 million refugees in Turkey will be in the EU one way or another, either the EU puts Turkey on a fast track to membership or he'll throw all of them across the Greek border at the same time. From the same speech, "I don't care about human rights".
Well the EU just kicked Turkey out from possible membership on Thanksgiving, so...

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Grouchio posted:

Well the EU just kicked Turkey out from possible membership on Thanksgiving, so...

Yes, the globally recognized celebration of Thanksgiving. It's frankly disgusting.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Grouchio posted:

They did not, it was a non-binding resolution by Parliament. The decision rests with the Commission and the member states.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Torrannor posted:

They did not, it was a non-binding resolution by Parliament. The decision rests with the Commission and the member states.
Now that Erdogan's threatening to release the migrant hordes on Greece and Europe perhaps the EU could kindly tell him to gently caress off?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Grouchio posted:

Not all turkeys can get a pardon on Thanksgiving.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Meh, he should. Providing temporary shelters for three odd million refugees isn't impossible with the resources of the EU. Erdogan loses his blackmail tool this way and can then be properly told to gently caress off.

Just get the ECB to print a lot of money to cover the expenses of accommodating all these migrants for a couple years. As an added bonus it should give a heart attack to all pro-austerity politicians, which would make the entire scheme worth it just for that alone.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Cat Mattress posted:

Meh, he should. Providing temporary shelters for three odd million refugees isn't impossible with the resources of the EU. Erdogan loses his blackmail tool this way and can then be properly told to gently caress off.

Just get the ECB to print a lot of money to cover the expenses of accommodating all these migrants for a couple years. As an added bonus it should give a heart attack to all pro-austerity politicians, which would make the entire scheme worth it just for that alone.

Yeah but that was the catch-22 in 2015 as well. Only a federal decree for every member state to host refugees or eat lead could resolve the refugee crisis as every nation except Germany and Sweden played it like a zero-sum game. However, as the Eurozone crisis eroded trust in the federal EU project that can't happen. Meanwhile, the refugee crisis just further inflamed mistrust in EU institutions which combined with Brexit means that the EU is now even less able to cope than last year.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
So with Fillion being pro Assad what are the chances of France getting a pro Assad government? What's marine lepens ppsition?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Throatwarbler posted:

So with Fillion being pro Assad what are the chances of France getting a pro Assad government? What's marine lepens ppsition?

do you need to ask

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Czer
Apr 21, 2005

by Pragmatica

OhFunny posted:

The Second Congo War is also called the Great War of Africa, Great African War, and the African World War.

Going off that somewhat similar proxy war this is the Great War for Syria, Great Middle Eastern War, World War of the Middle East.

This isn't even a big Middle Eastern war, no major Middle Eastern nation has a single division devoted to actually fighting besides Syria and Iraq.

and unrelated but exact.

http://www.checkpointasia.net/index...ided-civil-war/

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

• Locked thread