Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
This slap fight is silly. One can criticize Key and Peele without having to go into their experience as black people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

blackguy32 posted:

This slap fight is silly. One can criticize Key and Peele without having to go into their experience as black people.

Which is extra funny because this is the Negrotown thread, which is a Key and Peele sketch.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Fluffdaddy posted:

Which is extra funny because this is the Negrotown thread, which is a Key and Peele sketch.

:vince:

My redtext is not a poor waste of petty cash but a warning to not get meta.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Looks like we are taking over every sport, even internationally.

This young man from Texas just joined the lowest division of Sumo. Hopefully in the next few years he will make it up the ranks.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Fluffdaddy posted:

This young man from Texas just joined the lowest division of Sumo. Hopefully in the next few years he will make it up the ranks.

Can we put him in the next Negrotown thread's OP? Can we get someone to direct his biopic?

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.

botany posted:

Is there a list or a blog or whatever out there that collects all the instances of racist casting decisions in Hollywood movies? From blackface / yellowface to whitewashing, i.e. let's cast Tom Cruise as the last samurai also all our Egyptians are now played by British men. I realize this isn't really a question specific to the black experience in the US but I figured this would be the best place to ask.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VR2nuN3Oo4
Stumbled across this video, I don't know about channels but I think this is a pretty good start to researching racism in Hollywood. Don't really follow blogs, but Black on Black Cinema (it's a really good podcast) analyzes films and talks about them from both a cinematic and from a black perspective, also since I'm talking about podcasts Friends Like Us is another good one more about comedy, with a round table of black woman comics and one guest. There is a lot of range on the podcast from interviewing news casters to other comics in the scene.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

teen witch posted:

Can we put him in the next Negrotown thread's OP? Can we get someone to direct his biopic?

I believe he is part Japanese, cause his name is Ichiro Young, unless his parents were super into the Mariners or something.

He will be going by the sumo name Wakaichiro, or "Young Ichiro"

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Fluffdaddy posted:

I believe he is part Japanese, cause his name is Ichiro Young, unless his parents were super into the Mariners or something.

He will be going by the sumo name Wakaichiro, or "Young Ichiro"

That guy is awesome: http://tachiai.wordpress.com/2016/11/15/ichiro-young-kyushu-recruit/amp/?client=safari

quote:

Tachiai is excited to report that Ichiro Young, from the great state of Texas, is competing in Kyushu. At the age of 18, he has been training with the Musashigawa Beya (武蔵川部屋), and is hoping to be accepted during Kyushu.

Mr Young has an American father, and a Japanese mother, and the riveted interest of US sumo fans and he works to join the ranks of sumo men. At present he has yet to take a shikona, but Ichiromaru or something with “Young” (Waka) are likely choices. His coach had this to say about him: “A fast dash, like a rocket. I want to make him do oshi-zumo.”

Seems he is reading a lot of Naruto manga to enhance his Japanese language skills, and training like a mad-man.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

I love Sumo and it is nice to have an up and comer to look forward to in about 5 or 6 years that looks like me.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

My red title explains my feelings on red titles.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Nude posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VR2nuN3Oo4
Stumbled across this video, I don't know about channels but I think this is a pretty good start to researching racism in Hollywood. Don't really follow blogs, but Black on Black Cinema (it's a really good podcast) analyzes films and talks about them from both a cinematic and from a black perspective, also since I'm talking about podcasts Friends Like Us is another good one more about comedy, with a round table of black woman comics and one guest. There is a lot of range on the podcast from interviewing news casters to other comics in the scene.

Thank you for this post :cheers:

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Fluffdaddy posted:

Gotta add him and Miss Japan, who is black and Japanese.

Fluffdaddy posted:

Right. But Negrotown at the end of the day didn't require nuance, just like, 15 minutes of reading about the black experience in America.

That skit wasn't so much deep as it was a wake up call for their white audience.

Fluffdaddy posted:

drat that loving red text. Another one.

Except this is wrong because the black experience does not end when you turn 18 and move out the house. That was almost half of my lifetime ago and my "depth" of life experience comes from all over the place.

Besides, my black experience is from country rear end Alabama, but it is not the only part of my life that counts towards this scorecard you are trying to build.

Also, for suburban black people who didn't have a lot of black folks around them, that is also a nuanced black issue and shouldn't be discounted from the overall black experience.

I'm betting dollars to donuts that black people raised in the suburbs isolated from other black people don't suddenly opt to live in a majority black neighborhoods or attend HBCUs.

For example, my younger brother does not have any of the life experiences I have, due to me being shuffled off to various relatives in the city, even after my mom moved to the suburbs with him and my sister. He's been exposed to precisely zero black people in his daily life outside of family until he went to college, and that college is University of Oklahoma, which also has a tiny black population.

He does not have the range of black experience that I do. Doesn't make him less black. He just doesn't have the range. Period.

Y'all seem awfully hurt by that fact, and sound a lot like the suburban white folks you grew up around when confronted with it.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

negromancer posted:

I'm betting dollars to donuts that black people raised in the suburbs isolated from other black people don't suddenly opt to live in a majority black neighborhoods or attend HBCUs.

I literally did this.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

What's this stand for?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

botany posted:

What's this stand for?

Historically Black Colleges and Universities

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Koalas March posted:

I literally did this.

It's pretty rare. People follow their friends and family, and more importantly, their socioeconomic class.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

negromancer posted:

It's pretty rare. People follow their friends and family, and more importantly, their socioeconomic class.

How do you know its pretty rare? Imma need to see some receipts.

negromancer posted:

Y'all seem awfully hurt by that fact, and sound a lot like the suburban white folks you grew up around when confronted with it.

And again, I grew up in the country. Tell me how that is less the black experience than growing up in the city.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Trabisnikof posted:

Historically Black Colleges and Universities

Aaaah the "and" tripped me up, thanks.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

negromancer posted:

I get it but it was my (white) grandmother that moved me into a black middle class neighborhood. I'm grateful for it.

I think it can go both ways. I was isolated in upper middle class white suburbia except for when I visited certain family members, got my hair done etc. It was really nice to move to a place where it was 90% black folks. I was briefly a cheerleader at my (white) middle school but that was the closest i ever got to fitting on.

(Even though I still didn't fit in completely when I moved because I was 13 and going through an emo/scene phase. I still managed to be semi popular at least.)

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Fluffdaddy posted:

How do you know its pretty rare? Imma need to see some receipts.

And again, I grew up in the country. Tell me how that is less the black experience than growing up in the city.

And again, tell me where I said less.

I said RANGE. Living in the suburbs isolated from seeing a multitude of black and brown faces prevents you from seeing a RANGE of black experiences.

Like, y'all seem really hurt by this and you might should take that up with your parents.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

negromancer posted:

I said RANGE. Living in the suburbs isolated from seeing a multitude of black and brown faces prevents you from seeing a RANGE of black experiences.

Like, y'all seem really hurt by this and you might should take that up with your parents.

You are being a huge douchebag right now and you should stop.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Nothing douchebag about it. I don't like people putting words in my mouth. People want to argue a strawman and I ain't got the time for it.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

negromancer posted:

And your knowledge is limited as well, and you're literally telling black folks that their experience isn't enough because it doesn't have the breadth of yours or mine.

Think about that poo poo and how hosed up that is to say.

Do you think some poor kid off the Pearl River in Mississippi, who is surrounded by nothing but other black people and has never lived in a major metropolitan is also suffering from not having a "range" of black experiences too, because they didn't get the privilege of travelling different places?

For all the talk of unity and the diversity of black life in this country, you sure are quick to create a "right" way to live or experience black culture and a "wrong" way, or range or whatever hosed up justification you are creating.

Literally the only requirement for having the black experience in America is being black in America.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

And furthermore, it is pretty tough for kids growing up in the suburbs with no black peers. Can you imagine being surrounded by so much whiteness your entire life and trying everything you can to have a normal childhood and then growing up and finding yourself not only treated like every other black person in this country and then having someone like you going. "Heh, you haven't really experienced blackness like me, because you haven't had the same struggles or range of experiences as me, guy who was surround by black people his whole life and was insulated from being over exposed to white people"

Edit:

And one last loving thing. What part of the black experience is a suburban black kid missing that other more "experienced" black people have?

Was it crushing racism? Nope.
Overwhelming isolation? Nope.
Ability to connect with and approach other black people? Nope.

Money is literally the only difference. And middle class money doesn't shield you from poo poo in white society.

Fluffdaddy fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Nov 24, 2016

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

blackguy32 posted:

Yeah, I definitely think they miss a lot. I definitely get a weird vibe from things like the East-West game skit, even though I generally enjoy it. But then other things like the substitute teacher and the black Republicans sketch work. They're imperfect comedians, as we all are.

But yeah, we need to quit with talk of inauthenticity. It's not like if every corny rear end mulatto in America was suddenly filled with the heart of Marcus Garvey that white supremacy would fold like a house of cards.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Fluffdaddy posted:

And your knowledge is limited as well, and you're literally telling black folks that their experience isn't enough because it doesn't have the breadth of yours or mine.

Think about that poo poo and how hosed up that is to say.

Do you think some poor kid off the Pearl River in Mississippi, who is surrounded by nothing but other black people and has never lived in a major metropolitan is also suffering from not having a "range" of black experiences too, because they didn't get the privilege of travelling different places?

For all the talk of unity and the diversity of black life in this country, you sure are quick to create a "right" way to live or experience black culture and a "wrong" way, or range or whatever hosed up justification you are creating.

Literally the only requirement for having the black experience in America is being black in America.

Literally just said that black people living isolated from other black people have a limited range in experiencing the diversity of blackness compared to black people who live around mostly other black people.

Not even sure how this is debatable. Y'all sound like white people arguing that they know black folks because they have a black friend.

Stop making up strawman and address what I'm saying or keep it moving.

Fluffdaddy posted:

And furthermore, it is pretty tough for kids growing up in the suburbs with no black peers. Can you imagine being surrounded by so much whiteness your entire life and trying everything you can to have a normal childhood and then growing up and finding yourself not only treated like every other black person in this country and then having someone like you going. "Heh, you haven't really experienced blackness like me, because you haven't had the same struggles or range of experiences as me, guy who was surround by black people his whole life and was insulated from being over exposed to white people"

Edit:

And one last loving thing. What part of the black experience is a suburban black kid missing that other more "experienced" black people have?

Was it crushing racism? Nope.
Overwhelming isolation? Nope.
Ability to connect with and approach other black people? Nope.

Money is literally the only difference. And middle class money doesn't shield you from poo poo in white society.

Sounds like someone who still hasn't connected with black people outside the suburbs, if you think this is the case. I never felt isolated.

Hell, I'm from the Midwest. Grew up in the city of Chicago. I live in Atlanta now and I'm learning things about blackness in the South, because surprise, I wasn't exposed to it in any meaningful quantity growing up. If I go to rural Mississippi, black people are going to be different there than they are in Atlanta and much more different than Chicago.

It's the range and diversity of black experience. If you aren't exposed to a variety of black people across ages, nationalities, and settings, your range of the black experience will be limited.

Y'all sound hurt and it sounds like you need to take it up with your parents, if your argument is "I am black, therefore I know the totality and range of black experience".

Must be that suburban black logic.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)
I had strongly considered going to an HCBU, and ultimately chose a higher ranked engineering school, because that was more swinging for the fences to me. Going to an HCBU would have fit into my Cosby Show dreams, though.

But the fact that it seemed better to me to take Caltech over Morehouse is the problem of the legacy of segregation, not a failure of the HCBUs. Ideally there wouldn't even have to be such an idea, because black people would have been integrated into society to begin with. It'd be about as important as a historically German school.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

negromancer posted:

Must be that suburban black logic.

Yes, that's what it is. Those burbs down in Bama with a population of 4000 people.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

foobardog posted:

I had strongly considered going to an HCBU, and ultimately chose a higher ranked engineering school, because that was more swinging for the fences to me. Going to an HCBU would have fit into my Cosby Show dreams, though.

But the fact that it seemed better to me to take Caltech over Morehouse is the problem of the legacy of segregation, not a failure of the HCBUs. Ideally there wouldn't even have to be such an idea, because black people would have been integrated into society to begin with. It'd be about as important as a historically German school.

This I agree with. It's hard to go to a HBCU that can compete with PWIs, due to a social mentality that leads to people asking the same questions like "Why do we have a Black History Month" or "why does BET exist?" It's hard to get donations and have that level of endowments in a society that doesn't even think you should exist in the first place.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Fluffdaddy posted:

Yes, that's what it is. Those burbs down in Bama with a population of 4000 people.

And you think your experience is the same as mine? Or encountered the same variety of experiences I did?

Or, maybe, just maybe, you could try reading what's written by me and get out of your feelings?

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

negromancer posted:

And you think your experience is the same as mine? Or encountered the same variety of experiences I did?

Or, maybe, just maybe, you could try reading what's written by me and get out of your feelings?

Of course it is different. The point is is that you were trying to make it sound like it was "less" not as much in "depth" which is wrong.

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

Fluffdaddy posted:

Of course it is different. The point is is that you were trying to make it sound like it was "less" not as much in "depth" which is wrong.

I don't think he's saying his personal experience is more or less than someone else's, just that he's benefited from the experience of others who lived different lives than himself, so he has been exposed to a wider breadth of experiences.

Since it started with K&P, imagine if they had never interacted or listened to the experiences of a black woman in America and then tried to do a skit on it. They've experienced being black as a guy, but that's different in some ways to being black as a woman so they won't have stories or anecdotes to draw on to give a more accurate picture of the experience. But if they had been around black women and heard what they experience and how it makes them feel, the skit would ring more true.

At least that's what I've taken from his posts, but I may be wrong.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Fluffdaddy posted:

So you basically chose not to actually read what I wrote, but instead added your own feelings.

And then expect me to be okay with that and defend what you made up in your head I meant?

Ok fam.

Karl Sharks posted:

I don't think he's saying his personal experience is more or less than someone else's, just that he's benefited from the experience of others who lived different lives than himself, so he has been exposed to a wider breadth of experiences.

Since it started with K&P, imagine if they had never interacted or listened to the experiences of a black woman in America and then tried to do a skit on it. They've experienced being black as a guy, but that's different in some ways to being black as a woman so they won't have stories or anecdotes to draw on to give a more accurate picture of the experience. But if they had been around black women and heard what they experience and how it makes them feel, the skit would ring more true.

At least that's what I've taken from his posts, but I may be wrong.

Pretty much exactly what I'm saying, but folks are hypersensitive about the fact that everyone they went to school with is on some #AllLivesMatter poo poo and that's my fault somehow that they weren't exposed to more black people growing up, and now they think I'm calling them fake black when I said nothing of the sort.

Like I said, they need to take that up with their parents. I don't have poo poo to do with that.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Karl Sharks posted:

K&P do drag sketches a lot and they are awful and basically gender minstrelsy, and "being around women" doesn't help that any more than "being around" black people would excuse blackface, and wtf do you think being suburban and black is anyway that they wouldn't have been around black women? One of those famous mens-only suburbs of Detroit? smh midwesterners do break new ground in the field of segregation

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I really find it funny as poo poo that this started and got blown up from me stating it's dumb as poo poo for him to say something like Get Out couldn't be done well by a mixed suburban black dude.

Like all of this was me just stating Get Out looks good and defending just that specific movie.

I didn't even really like Key and Peele's show and wasn't speaking to anything beyond Peele's movie.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Nov 25, 2016

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

Negrotown: We'll need to check your credentials (Ask your parents)

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Hey is there where i post for the free title change?

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
In other news:

White liberals are up in arms about the fact that black, brown, and LGBT people are saying "gently caress this poo poo" and arming themselves.

They aren't happy.

Apparently we're all supposed to get lynched in the name of their ideological purity, including a few "MLK wouldn't have wanted this," forgetting the man had a virtual arsenal in his house after an attempted firebombing.

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

K&P do drag sketches a lot and they are awful and basically gender minstrelsy, and "being around women" doesn't help that any more than "being around" black people would excuse blackface, and wtf do you think being suburban and black is anyway that they wouldn't have been around black women? One of those famous mens-only suburbs of Detroit? smh midwesterners do break new ground in the field of segregation

Nobody said just because you're exposed to something you instantly understand it completely and never make mistakes related to it, but you have a better chance than someone who isn't exposed to it.

Imagine if you kept someone completely isolated, hermetically sealed in a room. Then you let them out into the world and they'd catch an illness almost immediately and be in deep poo poo. Does that mean people who walk around and interact with others never get sick? No, but they have a stronger immune system than someone who was isolated.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Karl Sharks posted:

Nobody said just because you're exposed to something you instantly understand it completely and never make mistakes related to it, but you have a better chance than someone who isn't exposed to it.

Imagine if you kept someone completely isolated, hermetically sealed in a room. Then you let them out into the world and they'd catch an illness almost immediately and be in deep poo poo. Does that mean people who walk around and interact with others never get sick? No, but they have a stronger immune system than someone who was isolated.

I was quoting something specific, but sure, let's engage your weird thought experiement where being black but not as black as negromancer feels himself to be is equated with living in a hermetically sealed room. That is in no way hosed up!

• Locked thread