Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Count Uvula posted:

I'm just gonna go ahead and assume you didn't play DA:I because this doesn't apply to it at all.

seriously

the sheer amount of little combat encounters would bore you to death if you tried to manually control your party 100% of the time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Count Uvula posted:

I'm just gonna go ahead and assume you didn't play DA:I because this doesn't apply to it at all.

Yes, it really does, more than other RTWP games even, because you need to be able to combo abilities from different party members together. And it's been a while since I played, but didn't some enemy AOE abilities also put markers on the ground you had to move people out of?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Comboing abilities was maybe important early on but past a certain point you could roll through nearly all of Inquisition just playing your own character and letting party members do their thing, assuming you didn't have a phenomenally useless AI companion like Bull.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
It's not that companion AI was bad (although you did get cases of e.g. Iron Bull refusing to loving use his self-heal unless you leapt into his body and used it for him manually) but that you couldn't count on any orders you gave in tactics mode being followed immediately or consistently whether or not you turned the AI off. I honestly would've loved pausing and assigning individual orders for every last combat encounter in an effort to perfectly manage enemies and never, ever take HP damage but I just couldn't count on my guys to do the things.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Zzulu posted:

But I am a sucker for huge bossfights...

Done right, yeah. But most are pretty bad in my opinion. It's like a cheap shortcut for a cinematic experience, but without any need for decent gameplay. Give me an awesome situation where your gameplay skills are tested any day of the week over an "large invincible monster with weakspot or environmental victory triggers".

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

euphronius posted:

I like adding scopes and modifiers to guns and poo poo. That's fun

That's about it tho for crafting for me .

You don't need a gun all of the time, but when you want one, there's always Resonance of Fate

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Mymla posted:

It gets me every time when people talk about the "companion AI" in dragon age 3 or indeed any RTWP game, as if that's not just a thing you turn off as soon as you're able. Like, controlling the whole party is the entire point of those games.

This comment makes sense if you are replace "Dragon Age 3" with "Dragon Age: Origins" and clarify that it's the PC version. For any other Dragon Age title or platform it's a really stupid thing to say.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Chomp8645 posted:

This comment makes sense if you are replace "Dragon Age 3" with "Dragon Age: Origins" and clarify that it's the PC version. For any other Dragon Age title or platform it's a really stupid thing to say.

That's because the other DA games are bad.

That said on PC Origins I just used a mod to unlock all the tactics slots and make the conditionals more complicated. Turns out a mage that knows how to cast sleep into waking nightmare on my target and chug a mana potion at low mana consistently is as useful as an AI needs to be to not need supervision.

Anyway, everything mentioned in that update sounds like a laundry list of things I don't want to see in the game. It's basically what developers do when they've run out of actual ideas and want to get in on that hot rear end open world gameplay gimmick that everyone loves. The entire point was that ME:2, the best game in the series cut away all the mindless bullshit and presented you with objectives that in large, always meant something valuable to either the story or you as a player.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

exquisite tea posted:

A reminder that the groundbreaking, highly anticipated, highly influential title No Man's Sky at least had ample in-game footage by this point.
and look what it did for them
whether or not ME4 is gonna be good, EA knows exactly what they're doing as far as pre-release marketing goes

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
I'm having a ton of fun replaying DAI on higher difficulty with trials on as a sword and board reaver who's a hard core andrastian.

There are even a bunch of weird cheevos in getting for poo poo like fighting a level 16+ fereldian frostback, which is cool.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Yorkshire Tea posted:

That's because the other DA games are bad.

That said on PC Origins I just used a mod to unlock all the tactics slots and make the conditionals more complicated. Turns out a mage that knows how to cast sleep into waking nightmare on my target and chug a mana potion at low mana consistently is as useful as an AI needs to be to not need supervision.

Anyway, everything mentioned in that update sounds like a laundry list of things I don't want to see in the game. It's basically what developers do when they've run out of actual ideas and want to get in on that hot rear end open world gameplay gimmick that everyone loves. The entire point was that ME:2, the best game in the series cut away all the mindless bullshit and presented you with objectives that in large, always meant something valuable to either the story or you as a player.

What were you expecting when the main idea behind ME:A is "explore a new galaxy?"

It already has the Loyalty Missions, the thing that made ME2 good.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
can you respec in DA:I?

I made my character a bow rogue and I regret it

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Personally I'm lol'in at the comments in the article that are all talking about making the Mako handle better and poo poo. As if the problems with the Mako segments had to anything to with the Mako itself and not the horrible Bump-Map-Extreme planets and lack of any navigation UI or in fact interesting things to see most of the time.

How can you be so stupid as to think it was the Mako itself that irked people?

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Moola posted:

Near the blacksmith, there is a banner you can interact with as a vendor. It sells an item you can use to refund your skill points.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

E: beaten

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Moola posted:

Yes but not out of your whole class or your specialization.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Thanks; its ok I'll try daggerz rouge instead

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Moola posted:

Thanks; its ok I'll try daggerz rouge instead

Assassin or tempest if you haven't made the choice yet. I think tempest is most exciting but assassin can do insane damage.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

The best thing about DA:I combat is that one of the best damage skills warriors can do (especially 2H warriors) is... The combat roll with a damage modifier. I was amazed when I put points into it and it started doing WAY more damage than any other attack I had. And it recharges super fast and costs very little stamina. No combos, but it seems entirely irrelevant. Just roll around for massive damage everywhere.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
Actually the best thing is sword and shield reaver.

Stack heal bonuses on your armor and shield, then health on kill on your sword.

Craft hidden blades, 100% immolate damage, and guard on hit into your sword, shield and armor.

Wade in to a mass of dudes and smack something for full guard as soon as hidden blades or inmolate procs, then spam dragon rage (that also procs hidden blades and explosions) and heal when you're almost out of health (you'll still have guard).

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

Jeza posted:

Done right, yeah. But most are pretty bad in my opinion. It's like a cheap shortcut for a cinematic experience, but without any need for decent gameplay. Give me an awesome situation where your gameplay skills are tested any day of the week over an "large invincible monster with weakspot or environmental victory triggers".

Yeah the best bosses have a strategy of "do your thing, but do it better".

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

It's literally just DA:I in space, isn't it? They're not even hiding it. Also, if scanning means Metroid Prime style scanning, my inner Collector might have an aneurysm.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
Personally I love games that have easily ignorable collection and fetch quests that drive spergs insane

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

You don't understand. The bars. They have to be full.

fake edit: I'm actually alright at ignoring collections for collection's sake. It's just ones that get story unlocks or more lore I get obsessed about.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

CottonWolf posted:

It's literally just DA:I in space, isn't it? They're not even hiding it. Also, if scanning means Metroid Prime style scanning, my inner Collector might have an aneurysm.

It does sound to me a lot like they're talking DA:I and putting those concepts here. Each planet is going to be like a region, and you establish bases and run into superbosses that would be like the dragons in DA.

But it does sound like it might be bigger.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

CottonWolf posted:

It's literally just DA:I in space, isn't it? They're not even hiding it.
Cool. DA:I was a decent game already, and the flaws it had aren't too hard to identify and address.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Yeah. The plot bits of DA:I were really good, it's just a shame they built an MMO quest system around them.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

I would have been fine with the sidequests if the combat wasn't dreadfully boring and finicky.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

DA:I with better combat and less collectathons sounds good to me.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
Worth keeping in mind

quote:

“We learned that there were some quests in Dragon Age that didn’t resonate and were kind of flat – fetch quests and stuff,” said Bioware’s Aaryn Flynn. “The nice thing is, you take those lessons, you package them all up, and you talk to the Mass Effect team and say, ‘These are the things you should do, these are the things you shouldn’t do.’ And the Mass Effect team get the pencils out and they build all that into it.”

They do know what people didn't like about DAI

Phantom Star
Feb 16, 2005

I liked DA:I but it was too easy to accidentally become way overpowered. My first character was a Rogue, and then I crafted some daggers that gave me shield (the bonus hit point thing warriors get) when I damage enemies and after that I became a Rogue tank with 3 mages backing me up and I had to start over so the game had challenge again.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Infinity Gaia posted:

The best thing about DA:I combat is that one of the best damage skills warriors can do (especially 2H warriors) is... The combat roll with a damage modifier. I was amazed when I put points into it and it started doing WAY more damage than any other attack I had. And it recharges super fast and costs very little stamina. No combos, but it seems entirely irrelevant. Just roll around for massive damage everywhere.

This wasn't in the game until Trespasser, but yeah, it's fantastic and hilarious. The roll can crit, too, so you can just obliterate groups of enemies with giant 2-hander crits by rolling through them.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

WillyTheNewGuy posted:

I liked DA:I but it was too easy to accidentally become way overpowered. My first character was a Rogue, and then I crafted some daggers that gave me shield (the bonus hit point thing warriors get) when I damage enemies and after that I became a Rogue tank with 3 mages backing me up and I had to start over so the game had challenge again.

I don't expect masterworks will be in the crafting system for MEA, though just imagine a weapon upgrade that gives you barrier every time a shot lands and has a chance to trigger nova on the target one shot out of ten and then you put it on something like the tempest.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

marshmallow creep posted:

I don't expect masterworks will be in the crafting system for MEA, though just imagine a weapon upgrade that gives you barrier every time a shot lands and has a chance to trigger nova on the target one shot out of ten and then you put it on something like the tempest.

Well, least everyone will be justified then in playing soldier.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I love doing side poo poo but I hate ending up too powerful for the main story, a gaming conundrum that no gaming company has figured out a fix for.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
Turn up the difficulty ffs. I bet all you guys run normal. Or you use cheesy builds and then complain about your power. Try a no cheese build.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Eej posted:

I love doing side poo poo but I hate ending up too powerful for the main story, a gaming conundrum that no gaming company has figured out a fix for.

There's a half exp trial in DAI just for people like you and me! I actually really like the Trial system and hope something similar is in Andromeda. Being able to more granularly affect the difficulty of a game is cool and good.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Eej posted:

Inquisition Trials are exactly for that so the enemy is always at least your level and or has special abilities to put them at or above your character's baseline. They are pretty good and stuff on nightmare is often still a challenge after crafting crazy broken gear.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Turn up the difficulty ffs. I bet all you guys run normal. Or you use cheesy builds and then complain about your power. Try a no cheese build.

I did, but the crafting UI and the tactical view were so clunky it wasn't fun.

Trials were a really good idea and I hope they do something similar in ME:A.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

If trials aren't in at launch they need to be added by the time they launch the successor to Citadel, Nexus.