Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Holy poo poo I'm only at 6269 cheevo points.

how do you have so many

how

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

Aleph Null posted:

Braham is a whiny baby who needs to be slapped upside his bald head. I get it; your mom died. Hundreds if not thousands have died during the conflict. I don't see all those people determined to suicide-by-dragon their entire race.
He's all "You wouldn't understand about loss". Bitch, please. I commanded the Pact straight into the jaws of Mordremoth. Me. I did that.
I wish I could tell him what I really want to say. "Get over your drat self and think for a single minute or I'll kill you right now to keep you from taking a bunch of people who actually matter with you."

I actually expected the chapter to end with you actually fighting Braham and slapping his poo poo because he has trouble fighting svaniir and you take out The Shatterer, Mouth of Mordremoth, Tequatl, The Great Destroyer, Claw of Jormag, Zhaitan, Mordremoth etc because you're that loving badass and are still telling him charging in half cocked is something you wont do.

I have nothing against the quaggan legendary, but this is the chapter they dropped the ball on legendaries with. Here's an actual plot significant legendary, let's just give it a particle effect over a generic bow, call it a day and not give the HoT legendary bow.

Also, I'm calling it right now. Braham is totally gonna come to a head and end up either coming close or actually murdering Aurene.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
Is there any way to check how close to capping the daily cheevo points you are?

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

It's Eir's bow skin with a fire efficiencies, dude. They could have made the effects better, true, but they were constrained by the boring skin plot dictated they use

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

No they weren't. We're in a world full of magic and dragons that literally eat it. That enchantment scroll could have easily transformed the bow into something amazing.

It's magic, man. You can do whatever the hell you want.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Got my thief to 80 and fully elite specced out.

Trying out a build with staff and pistol/pistol, with acrobatics, critical strikes and daredevil. It works but i was expecting to be dodging a lot more stuff.

What is the thief build that dodges/tanks everything yet dishes out mad dps? A great solo build? (of champions and what not)

E.g. what build is Brazil using in this video? Skip to 3:30 and watch him kick the crap out of the Mad King without taking damage.

knowonecanknow
Apr 19, 2009

Ambition must be made to counteract ambition.

malhavok posted:

Is there any way to check how close to capping the daily cheevo points you are?

in your cheevos panel just mouse over the achievement symbol on the top and it gives you a break down of cheevos earned through daily vs doing poo poo.

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Meatoberfest is in full swing.

Ineptitude posted:

Got my thief to 80 and fully elite specced out.

Trying out a build with staff and pistol/pistol, with acrobatics, critical strikes and daredevil. It works but i was expecting to be dodging a lot more stuff.

What is the thief build that dodges/tanks everything yet dishes out mad dps? A great solo build? (of champions and what not)

E.g. what build is Brazil using in this video? Skip to 3:30 and watch him kick the crap out of the Mad King without taking damage.

It's the standard PvE DPS build but you swap in Invigorating Precision instead of No Quarter if you think you'll be taking too much damage to survive otherwise. Note that he does take hits there but just heals it back quickly from the signet passive healing, and the Mad King fight isn't particularly challenging anyway.

Personally I use Trickery 322 instead of Deadly Arts when running around solo on staff Daredevil. You get more Fury uptime and better utility with the extra initiative, and it lets you use Withdraw a lot more as a 'get me the gently caress out of here' button, but that mostly just works on things that you can burst down.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Thanks!

Are these builds, the standard PVE build with your Trickery addition, "the solo build" or are there better ones?

The one i am using atm is very binary. I either survive for ages and can take out decently big packs or i just get instantly squished at the start of a fight.
I have heard that "thief can dodge everything all the time" but am not really seeing it with my build. In fact the only reason i dodge stuff is because of staff#4?

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

knowonecanknow posted:

in your cheevos panel just mouse over the achievement symbol on the top and it gives you a break down of cheevos earned through daily vs doing poo poo.

Ok but how many total can you get? I have slightly over 5k from dailies.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS
Silver-fed salvage-o-matic is on sale for another 18 or so hours. It's discounted, too.

Buy things and/or stuff

Send half to me if you'd like. It's cool if you don't like. Brandy is okay but not my favorite spirit but to be fair everything tastes poo poo and bad but it gets the job done and by job I mean I am no longer sober

Cool guild, cool people 10/10 would join again

Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!

malhavok posted:

Ok but how many total can you get? I have slightly over 5k from dailies.

15k total which includes dailies and any monthlies if did those from back when those were a thing

Hurp Durp Master
Oct 10, 2011
Haven't touched the game since the end of PvP season 2, can't recall when that was, I think around march/april. Is the new content any good? Also are engineers any good at the moment for PvE/PvP? tia for answering my obnoxiously broad questions

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
So I"m kinda curious about WvW but I'm told that playing a melee character in full Berserker gear is suicide, is that about right?

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Meatoberfest is in full swing.

Ineptitude posted:

Thanks!

Are these builds, the standard PVE build with your Trickery addition, "the solo build" or are there better ones?

The one i am using atm is very binary. I either survive for ages and can take out decently big packs or i just get instantly squished at the start of a fight.
I have heard that "thief can dodge everything all the time" but am not really seeing it with my build. In fact the only reason i dodge stuff is because of staff#4?

There aren't really well publicized solo builds because most of the open world/solo content is either faceroll easy, or a group event or champion that you're not really supposed to be soloing and already need to know your class well to beat. The HoT maps are full of mobs that are actually sort of a challenge to fight, but you can usually get away with using the typical full DPS gear and builds with some minor exceptions, e.g. the Tactics line on a Warrior isn't that great when you're alone and can be swapped with pretty much anything else. There's also no shame in using a ranged weapon and kiting things that would crush you in melee, since you're not slowing down a group.

The Thief dodging everything thing comes a lot from PvP where they tend to run burst damage builds with a lot of effects that restore endurance, evade, blind, stun, teleport away, etc. and are played by people whose sole interest in life is to kill people with their Thief in PvP. So you end up fighting a group of 4 people who are average to good with a couple classes and one rear end in a top hat in a black and white scarf with that flower hair and fire dagger who completely no-sells you again god damnit Respawning in 15

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Just play engineer and make thieves cry salty salty anime tears in spvp.

I will never forget the time a p/p thief tried to Unload while I was on them and electro-whirling and died instantly. Felt so good

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Jabarto posted:

So I"m kinda curious about WvW but I'm told that playing a melee character in full Berserker gear is suicide, is that about right?

A good zerg driver will be able to mitigate some of that but yeah it's usually worth picking up some gear with some toughness on it.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

neongrey posted:

A good zerg driver will be able to mitigate some of that but yeah it's usually worth picking up some gear with some toughness on it.

A pity all the Soldier's gear I got from the level 80 boost vanished into the ether when I tried to stash it in my bank, then. :(

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.

Magres posted:

Just play engineer and make thieves cry salty salty anime tears in spvp.

I will never forget the time a p/p thief tried to Unload while I was on them and electro-whirling and died instantly. Felt so good

Are engineers still frustrating to play and a major cause of carpal tunnel? I love my engy, but they are just so much work to actually play.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

:siren: ATTENTION STARFLEET DENTAL OR OTHER INTERESTED NON-ASURA PARTIES :siren:

Our forums are new and improved and at a new URL now, please update your bookmarks to https://www.starfleetdental.com/forums!

Things will be hosed Up and Weird As poo poo for a bit while we figure out the new IPBoard version but good news we saved all the user accounts and your lovely posts and even Tacitus' flubber fetish fanfics so all's right with the world imo

Thank you for tolerating this brief interruption to the thread, happy yanksgiving and God Bless Dear Leader.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

Demon_Corsair posted:

Are engineers still frustrating to play and a major cause of carpal tunnel? I love my engy, but they are just so much work to actually play.

I didn't so much mind the work, it just was that the payoff wasn't there. It was jarring to switch to another character, be as much / more effective and think, "man, that's all I have to do?"

Ever since the official release of HoT, the patcher crashes continuously whenever it reaches the "Playable" range of a patch. If I restarted in safe mode, it'd crash less frequently and after several attempts eventually I'd get patched. It was just an obnoxious process that made me dread patch days. Even Anet's tech support didn't know what the cause was. The puzzling part was that in beta, it was perfectly fine. It wasn't until release day that the issue cropped up and has remained ever since.

I'd finally uninstalled GW2 and attempted a fresh install, but the problem remained. I wasn't about to reformat in hopes of fixing GW2 (especially when there wasn't an issue with anything else). So until I run across a solution, I'm stuck in GW2 limbo. :(

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Ghostpilot posted:

I didn't so much mind the work, it just was that the payoff wasn't there. It was jarring to switch to another character, be as much / more effective and think, "man, that's all I have to do?"

Ever since the official release of HoT, the patcher crashes continuously whenever it reaches the "Playable" range of a patch. If I restarted in safe mode, it'd crash less frequently and after several attempts eventually I'd get patched. It was just an obnoxious process that made me dread patch days. Even Anet's tech support didn't know what the cause was. The puzzling part was that in beta, it was perfectly fine. It wasn't until release day that the issue cropped up and has remained ever since.

I'd finally uninstalled GW2 and attempted a fresh install, but the problem remained. I wasn't about to reformat in hopes of fixing GW2 (especially when there wasn't an issue with anything else). So until I run across a solution, I'm stuck in GW2 limbo. :(

did you delete all the ancillary files that appear in c:/users/ or whatever

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Demon_Corsair posted:

PvE or PvP? In PvE they're still pretty awful to play (my one guild leader claims they're less bad than they used to be but he's a crazy person) and not worth the trouble imo, but in PvP they're fun and easy to play.

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016
Where's that guide to the challenges? I need it because the mastery points are aids to get, especially Tyria ones.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/3rr65s/video_for_every_adventure_goldmedal/

^^ video guide to all the adventures

If you need help with Central Tyria masteries, my first questions are

1) Have you done the LS2 achievements?
2) Have you done the fractal mastery achievements?

They're both fairly easy sources of masteries. Fractal masteries in particular can be cranked out at T1 with little/no trouble, just spam in guild chat that you wanna put together a group to run through them or post on LFG for doing specific ones.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

HoT mastery points are very abundant and easy to get.
You get a whole bunch of them from just doing the various HoT map meta events.
You get 2 for each gold adventure (many of them are quite easy)
You get 1 for each silver adventure (all the ones you cannot gold)
You get a bunch "for free" from the Living World 3 maps.
You get a bunch from the HoT story missions.

Tyria mastery points is on a whole other level.
If you do not buy Living World 2 you must get virtually all other available points. These include ones such as emperors new wardrobe (costs around 500 gold), the luminescent armor set (requires around 30 meta completions of silverwastes as well as a ton of grinding other things, the fractal weapon ones (2 different achievements with 19 weapons on each. I have done a decent amount of fractals and not gotten a single one of these weapons). You also need to do the outdoor raid boss achievements, such as Tequatl (2 points) and Triple Trouble (5 points).
You get quite a lot of Tyria points from the fractal achievements, many of these are quite easy. I knocked out all of these achievements in 2 evenings of play.
You get 5? points from doing the personal story. The Wiki shows separate achievements for each race but you only need to do the full story on 1 race to get all the mastery points.

If you buy Living World 2 you get 8 Tyria mastery points "for free" by just doing the story, 1 point for each chapter. You get an additional point from doing the achievements in each chapter but some of these are exceptionally difficult.

I have maxed out my HoT masteries and have not done chapters 2, 3 or 4 of the story nor picked up any points from the LW3EP3 zone. Thats like 11 easy ones right there.

I have maxed out my Tyria masteries and have not done certain easy ones such as dungeon explorer or map completion. I do have LW2 though and have gotten 8 from that.

Ineptitude fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Nov 25, 2016

Aug 24, 2011

i have 30+ excess maguuma mastery filthy casuals

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Ineptitude posted:

Tyria mastery points is on a whole other level.
If you do not buy Living World 2 you must get virtually all other available points. These include ones such as emperors new wardrobe (costs around 500 gold), the luminescent armor set (requires around 30 meta completions of silverwastes as well as a ton of grinding other things, the fractal weapon ones (2 different achievements with 19 weapons on each. I have done a decent amount of fractals and not gotten a single one of these weapons). You also need to do the outdoor raid boss achievements, such as Tequatl (2 points) and Triple Trouble (5 points).
You get quite a lot of Tyria points from the fractal achievements, many of these are quite easy. I knocked out all of these achievements in 2 evenings of play.
You get 5? points from doing the personal story. The Wiki shows separate achievements for each race but you only need to do the full story on 1 race to get all the mastery points.

If you buy Living World 2 you get 8 Tyria mastery points "for free" by just doing the story, 1 point for each chapter. You get an additional point from doing the achievements in each chapter but some of these are exceptionally difficult.

I have maxed out my HoT masteries and have not done chapters 2, 3 or 4 of the story nor picked up any points from the LW3EP3 zone. Thats like 11 easy ones right there.

I have maxed out my Tyria masteries and have not done certain easy ones such as dungeon explorer or map completion. I do have LW2 though and have gotten 8 from that.

Yeah there are 67 total available points, it takes 49 to complete all the Central Tyria masteries, and 16 of the 67 points are from LW2. Also Bioluminescent Armor is gated behind LW2, so you can pick exactly ONE point to skip if you don't own any of LW2 and don't want to buy it. Notably this means you can't skip more than one of the Ambrite Collection, Emperor's New Wardrobe, Golden Fractal Weapons, Regular Fractal Weapons, Map Completion, Ascended Armor Skins, and Silverwastes Golden Badges.

Tbh I never realized how lovely it is to get enough points if you don't have LW2. I'd definitely recommend prioritizing the Pact Commander line over the other two, because autoloot is magnificent and makes the game way better.

Though that said, if you skip the last Fractal Mastery entirely you can drop the number of points you need to 44, which lets you skip all the most egregious collections (you can skip Ambrite, both Fractal Weapons, Emperor's New Wardrobe, Ascended Armor, and two other things of your choosing) and keep almost entirely to going out and finding things, doing stuff, and killing bosses. Probably the most tedious part will be doing the Personal Story once on each race, but that's still loads better than garbage like Emperor's New Wardrobe. The wiki has a list of all of the mastery point unlocks that helps, if anyone's having trouble finishing the Central Tyria Masteries. Fully finishing them is dismally lovely, but they're not nearly as bad if you skip Mistlock Singularities. Mistlocks are admittedly nice, but are definitely not required to have fun and profit in fractals.

Aug 24, 2011

Magres posted:

Yeah there are 67 total available points, it takes 49 to complete all the Central Tyria masteries, and 16 of the 67 points are from LW2. Also Bioluminescent Armor is gated behind LW2, so you can pick exactly ONE point to skip if you don't own any of LW2 and don't want to buy it. Notably this means you can't skip more than one of the Ambrite Collection, Emperor's New Wardrobe, Golden Fractal Weapons, Regular Fractal Weapons, Map Completion, Ascended Armor Skins, and Silverwastes Golden Badges.

Tbh I never realized how lovely it is to get enough points if you don't have LW2. I'd definitely recommend prioritizing the Pact Commander line over the other two, because autoloot is magnificent and makes the game way better.

Though that said, if you skip the last Fractal Mastery entirely you can drop the number of points you need to 44, which lets you skip all the most egregious collections (you can skip Ambrite, both Fractal Weapons, Emperor's New Wardrobe, Ascended Armor, and two other things of your choosing) and keep almost entirely to going out and finding things, doing stuff, and killing bosses. Probably the most tedious part will be doing the Personal Story once on each race, but that's still loads better than garbage like Emperor's New Wardrobe. The wiki has a list of all of the mastery point unlocks that helps, if anyone's having trouble finishing the Central Tyria Masteries. Fully finishing them is dismally lovely, but they're not nearly as bad if you skip Mistlock Singularities. Mistlocks are admittedly nice, but are definitely not required to have fun and profit in fractals.

i think you mean legendary collections since those are pretty poo poo

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Magres posted:

Probably the most tedious part will be doing the Personal Story once on each race, but that's still loads better than garbage like Emperor's New Wardrobe.

You only can/need to do the personal story once, you won't get more points by doing it with other races.

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

Actually, it takes 51 to complete the Tyrian Masteries and there's 69 available. You can easily skip emperor's new wardrobe and gold fractal weapons + another one and still unlock everything.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
It's 49 to finish them and there's 67 available. I literally just recounted them to be sure, and it's the same numbers as what's on the wiki.

Even if it were 51 to complete and 69 available, that's still 18 spare points. You lose 16 to the LS2 achievements if you don't have LS2, and Bioluminescent Armor is gated behind having a couple episodes of LS2 achievements done, so that's another point. So of the remaining points available you can skip picking up one of them and still be able to complete everything.

Magres fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Nov 25, 2016

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

I'm unsure where I miscounted O_o

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Demon_Corsair posted:

as probably one of this thread's last remaining thousands-of-hours engineer (RIP all my old friends ghostpilot and co.), yes

they do actually pretty reasonable damage (Quantify mathed it out here, scroll down and look at the "realistic" column http://qtfy.enjin.com/dps and you'll see that it's very okay) if you're playing the current pistol/pistol condi build. the real problem is as you said: in order to actually put out all that damage you're going to be hitting probably twice as many buttons as everyone else. it's so much more effort that if you're not already enamoured with engineer i would just play something else

pvp they ate a lot of consecutive nerfs but are still viable. far less button pressing on the standard hammer build than in pve. should clue you in as to exactly how loving annoying scrapper was before it got nerfed, tbh

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time

Demon_Corsair posted:

This is one of those questions where the answer is whatever you want it to be. There's plenty of goons happy with autoattacking 24/7 with flamethrower or rifle auto with "static discharge".

In PVP of late it has been basically this: Pick scrapper, get a hammer and rely on your various passive bullshit to keep you alive when you are low on health. You're really tanky and hard to kill so people will give up in solo queue and target someone else. Then if the new target dies you can double res the teammate with your function gyro buddy/invulnerability and they go back to targetting you for a while if you do this once or twice. Repeat from start. For fighting you just mash your buttons pretty much. You'll want to use hammer 5 > 3 combo. Hammer 4 is a block with damage. Hammer 2 is a reflect with damage, mash liberally. Mash your gyro(s). As fights drag on you can't stop yourself building might and the fight turning in your favour for the most part. Gyros no longer have the stun bullshit though, RIP.

In PVE you don't really even bring Scrapper spec. The most effective build is probably power engineer. This involves auto attacking in bomb kit. Using 3x toolbelt skills off cooldown. Swapping to grenade kit for grenade 4+2 only. Handling game mechanics to evade, cc, or blind mobs is not going to mess with this dps output much.

On a stationary golem there are probably some people that could get a higher dps figure with condi engineer if that is what you are interested in. Once you start breaking down the skill priority it's not that hard to play but you're doing it because it's how you wanted to play in the first place.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

lucifirius posted:

Where's that guide to the challenges? I need it because the mastery points are aids to get, especially Tyria ones.

If you were talking about Adventures for HoT masteries, here ya go!:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/4ifrmo/guide_adventures_silver_gold_and_beyond/

In summary, from easiest to hardest:

Aug 24, 2011

the hidden wizard strikes again

sound_again
Jun 19, 2012
Sell prices for ascended mats have been falling since the patch. Any particular reason that I'm missing?

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010

sound_again posted:

Sell prices for ascended mats have been falling since the patch. Any particular reason that I'm missing?

Just a continuation of previous trends.

Older players completing all the ascended sets they want and dumping their mats is a big one. This turns what was previously demand into supply.

The new zone also makes getting ascended materials a lot easier, since you can exchange unbound magic for those magic warped bags. And those can contain ascended crafting materials, or other stuff like toxic spores.

Edit:
I kind of want to calculate the average rate of return on those things, but really that's best left to someone who can just script something that updates automatically with the trading post. I can't find such a site, myself. Anyone know of one?

Edit 2: I did some math and you'll make a good 50 silver profit for each bundle given current market prices. More if you buy the 1250 magic, 40 silver bundle. That puts unbound magic at about 10 copper each.

Focacciasaurus_Rex fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Nov 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aug 24, 2011

sound_again posted:

imo its because fractals give ascended stuff, which removes the need to craft it, and therefore the need for its materials

• Locked thread