Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

FAUXTON posted:

mercy pistol, I think, fires slower and the projectiles travel slower.

yep

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?
The bolts have the same travel speed, Dva has a higher rate of fire but Mercy does a little more damage per second, much more per clip and reloads faster.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

slydingdoor posted:

The bolts have the same travel speed, Dva has a higher rate of fire but Mercy does a little more damage per second, much more per clip and reloads faster.

Yeah I know. I still like Blaster Dva way more than Mech Dva/Mercy though. I dunno it's just fun to me to run around blasting and pistol whipping fools.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

I used to laugh at the idea of anyone getting gold balls for Zenyatta, since a bunch of his skins already have near-gold ones. Now I'm considering it since he's my second best character behind Mei. I'd use them with the Ra skin since that one has white balls and a lot of gold on the rest of the skin.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Queering Wheel posted:

I used to laugh at the idea of anyone getting gold balls for Zenyatta, since a bunch of his skins already have near-gold ones. Now I'm considering it since he's my second best character behind Mei. I'd use them with the Ra skin since that one has white balls and a lot of gold on the rest of the skin.

ifrit is the best skin all the rings all the golds

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Oh my goodness, I played my first like 30 minutes of Sombra. I love the utility aspect of her. I wish she kinda did more damage but after I got just a little bit used to her kit, I can see why a damage buff could be a nightmare to deal with.

She really already is a nightmare to pin down if you're smart with her E for hit and runs, which I assume is how you play her. Really fun character. I want to learn her some more.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

she does decent damage but her gun has really bad spread and the falloff is subpar so you have to be very close to actually make use of it

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Yeah, I do like her playstyle, and in medium MMR you can do some silly moves and take crazy risks that are extremely fun. If she had better spread and maybe a bigger incentive to hack any character I think I'd play her a bunch.

Maybe a bit of aimbot on a hacked opponent? Like some slight tracking that would offset her spread vs a hacked enemy. That way you could go in, hack, pull back to mid range while you kill him then run? I think that could be an interesting synergy.

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
The most annoying thing I found was not being hit disables cloak, that actually makes sense and is a good counterbalance, but being touched by anything disrupts hacking is kinda blah. I guess if you could hack them no matter how much they were hammering you that'd be a problem, though.

I'd take that kinda buff over any damage buff. I could see that making her super strong, on the flip side. Characters like dva and genji are turned into sitting ducks already.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Hugoon Chavez posted:

Yeah, I do like her playstyle, and in medium MMR you can do some silly moves and take crazy risks that are extremely fun. If she had better spread and maybe a bigger incentive to hack any character I think I'd play her a bunch.

Maybe a bit of aimbot on a hacked opponent? Like some slight tracking that would offset her spread vs a hacked enemy. That way you could go in, hack, pull back to mid range while you kill him then run? I think that could be an interesting synergy.

someone in the tryhard thread suggested that hacked targets could have a weaker discord style debuff so they take more damage, which seems like an elegant solution to her damage problems while also making hacking actual players more valuable. I like it since it buffs her damage when she's playing well and making good use of her kit while not doing anything if you play poorly

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
The nice thing about being a bad player is I got my D.va quad kill before they even buffed her explosion just by tossing it towards point B on Volskya.

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.
Speaking as someone who pretty much sticks to quick play because solo queueing comp is basically quick play anyway, seeing a Sombra on my team is a horrible thing because almost none of them contribute anything and it feels like a 5v6. This may change as people start to learn her more. But at the moment she's a waste of a slot.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
As a Mercy, I win 1v1 against Sombra 80% of the time if we both start the engagement at full health. That's a problem.

Combine that with her aforementioned noisy movement set and the cooldown attached to merely throwing her translocator and you have a character in need of a buff.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
What happens when the season ends? Is competitive play just disabled for a week?

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

slydingdoor posted:

D.Va's higher rate of fire works in her favor since most of the time you're just trying to land some headshots in a crowd to get your mech back. I end up in a lot of games where I'm 25:2 Elims:Deaths just because D.Va's pistol is so good in a crowd that I always get my mech back before someone can chase me down.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

Jeza posted:

What happens when the season ends? Is competitive play just disabled for a week?
Competitive is still available but your SR can't change and you get no comp points. So its basically drawn out QP.

Just like bastion and widow I hope Sombra stays terrible forever.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
I really want to play more of the random hero-arcade mode but every time I spawn I am afraid that my no bastion-streak will be broken :ohdear:

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

SadisTech posted:

Speaking as someone who pretty much sticks to quick play because solo queueing comp is basically quick play anyway, seeing a Sombra on my team is a horrible thing because almost none of them contribute anything and it feels like a 5v6. This may change as people start to learn her more. But at the moment she's a waste of a slot.
I've only played a little comp but I've noticed that multiple people are willing to play tanks/support and I've actually done a game where 5 of us had mics, for the first time in weeks. It was nice, actually.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Star posted:

I really want to play more of the random hero-arcade mode but every time I spawn I am afraid that my no bastion-streak will be broken :ohdear:

I'd play it more if ults didn't reset completely after every death, when a team gets the upper hand it's much harder to come back than in normal play.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Star posted:

Pretty sure that doesn't count Arcade mode. Or at least it didn't count Brawls.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

qp and comp have separate stats but the brawls just flat out aren't recorded at all. maybe that's different with arcade mode but you should be able to check in your stats

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

my laptop (2015 13" Macbook Pro) doesn't have the guts to run this game on lowest settings @ 100% scaling. I use 50% or 75%. Is there any ini tweaks or changes to give me the framerate increase I need to escape the blurry pixel zone?

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

well why not posted:

my laptop (2015 13" Macbook Pro) doesn't have the guts to run this game on lowest settings @ 100% scaling. I use 50% or 75%. Is there any ini tweaks or changes to give me the framerate increase I need to escape the blurry pixel zone?

On a 2k screen with integrated graphics? Probably not. I'm amazed it runs at all.

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!
Frame scaling is the way to go I'm afraid: That laptop's screen is higher resolution than most gaming monitors and with its onboard intel graphics desperately bandwidth-starved there are no tweaks better than simply rendering fewer pixels

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Magitek posted:

As a Mercy, I win 1v1 against Sombra 80% of the time if we both start the engagement at full health. That's a problem.
you're facing bad sombras and if they had ok tracking they would win 1v1 nearly 100% of the time

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
It's true that Mercy winning vs. Sombra is a problem, but the problem isn't necessarily that Sombra needs a buff. The "problem" could just as easily be that nobody understands Sombra yet.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I feel like a Sombra buff would be to let her E teleport last until she cancels it herself, so many times I'll get into a drawn out fight and try to zoop away only to see that the teleport is on a 4 second cooldown because it expired 1 second ago.

Caeks
Dec 27, 2009

Sombra talk: I played a shitton more with her last night in Quickplay, and now that I've gotten use to her playstyle a bit, I think she's fantastic. Sure, they could push her damage up a nod, but I think the main issue with her is that her whole skillset revolves around even more team communication than you'd need playing anyone else.

I've been playing her as a flanker, doing the whole "hack a healthpack that's of importance, throw down her teleporter, run in and kill one, teleport back, rinse and repeat" thing. One thing I've noticed in all my Sombra games is that the enemy is CONSTANTLY watching their flanks more than when I play any other flanker. There have been times when I've had the entire enemy team pushing a payload, I'd come up from behind and delete a Zen/Mercy/Ana/Lucio, and the entire team would turn toward me to engage. My most successful attempts involved me communicating with my team to push in at the same time as me flanking, enabling either myself to get a bunch of free kills with little pressure, or when the pressure was on me my team would push in and rack up the kills. Several times, a Rein would turn around to shield my shots, only to be melted by my team's front line.

On top of this, she ABSOLUTELY counters Lucio. You save your ult for his, and then completely disable everyone's shields. As far as who Sombra works with well, I'd say she's best paired in a Zarya/Pharrah team. The reason being is - there have been many times, pre Sombra, where you'd pull off the Zrya/Pharrah wombo, only to have the enemy Rein/D.Va block most of the shots. With good communication, Zarya Ult + Sombra hack will COMPLETELY shut down most defenses (I say most because LOL Zenyatta) and enable your team to capitalize on their inability to move/use defensive abilities.

All being said, I've had FAR more success on Defense as Sombra.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

She's got a lot of weird design choices going on. She has these really fun mobility options, but lacks punch once she's in position. I feel like part of her intent is to punish tanks and people who overcommit, since you can disable their getaway or "oh poo poo" buttons. Beyond that, forcing people to deal with you at hacked health kits, and Translocator/Healthkit hit-and-runs are the other things she has going for her. Well, apart from her ult--that's actually really good with some coordination.

I agree she's more effective on defense, though.

Still really curious about whether her ability to hack through Barriers will carry over from the PTR. It's looking more and more like an intended change.

novaSphere fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Nov 25, 2016

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Yea, I bet 3 people on team all coordinating Ults together is good. You are correct that being reliant on 2 other people in a specific circumstance makes sombra good.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

eSporks posted:

Yea, I bet 3 people on team all coordinating Ults together is good. You are correct that being reliant on 2 other people in a specific circumstance makes sombra good.

Sombra's ult is no different in the "needing a followup" regard than Graviton Surge, and that's considered by a lot of people to be the single best ult in the entire game.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
Sombra's ult is good in general because it creates a barrel of fish for your team to shoot at. It just allows your team to ult freely without being countered.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Kai Tave posted:

Sombra's ult is no different in the "needing a followup" regard than Graviton Surge, and that's considered by a lot of people to be the single best ult in the entire game.

Yea, but this guy is talking about how Sombras it is good because it makes the graviton/justice combo marginally better.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Sade posted:

It's true that Mercy winning vs. Sombra is a problem, but the problem isn't necessarily that Sombra needs a buff. The "problem" could just as easily be that nobody understands Sombra yet.
There are a good number of people who understand sombra, the only reason a mercy should ever kill a sombra who tries to pick them 1v1 is that the sombra 1). has poo poo tracking so they can't put out damage, and 2). the sombra also doesn't understand her own kit enough to set a tele before going behind enemies to get a pick, and so doesn't just tele out when she gets low.
they have to be bad both mechanically and strategically for that to happen.

Caeks
Dec 27, 2009

eSporks posted:

Yeah of course, but the difference being that Sombra's ult shut's down barriers. Most ult's can be countered, one way or another by other ults or even basic abilities - Outside of Zenyatta, Sombra's ult isn't counterable. Other ults that enable you to shut down or incapacitate a team (Rein, Zarya, Roadhog) can be easily negated by a simple shield, whereas Sombra can't.

Thor-Stryker posted:

Sombra's ult is good in general because it creates a barrel of fish for your team to shoot at. It just allows your team to ult freely without being countered.

This. Her ult is fantastic. The problem I think with her design is that if they buff her just a little bit, I fear she may tread into OPness. I really believe she has to be one of the most worrisome characters to balance for Blizzard in the current roster.

Caeks
Dec 27, 2009

eSporks posted:

Yea, but this guy is talking about how Sombras it is good because it makes the graviton/justice combo marginally better.

Marginally better? The current problem with the combo is the fact that it's completely shut down by Rein or D.va, and they are currently very popular picks. It makes the combo infinitely better.

And I'm not saying this is the only thing that makes her decent - I'm saying her ult is great and doesn't need a change.

If there is a change to be made to her, it needs to either happen to her other abilities through buffs, or a slight damage buff - but not both.

Smiles
Oct 23, 2012

I was on King's Row and saw my Dva buddy boost her mech and activate her self destruct at an enemy Rein who held up his shield to protect his team, but then I translocated above them and activated my EMP, the enemy Rein was like omg and the entire red team blew up and my Dva buddy got POTG. Anyway that's my Sombra story

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

IronicDongz posted:

There are a good number of people who understand sombra, the only reason a mercy should ever kill a sombra who tries to pick them 1v1 is that the sombra 1). has poo poo tracking so they can't put out damage, and 2). the sombra also doesn't understand her own kit enough to set a tele before going behind enemies to get a pick, and so doesn't just tele out when she gets low.
they have to be bad both mechanically and strategically for that to happen.

You also realize that translocating out of a fight without a kill counts as losing the fight as well, right? If you fail to kill a Mercy and leave for any reason, she'll have her health back before you can get back in there.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Runefaust posted:

Sombra talk: I played a shitton more with her last night in Quickplay, and now that I've gotten use to her playstyle a bit, I think she's fantastic. Sure, they could push her damage up a nod, but I think the main issue with her is that her whole skillset revolves around even more team communication than you'd need playing anyone else.

I've been playing her as a flanker, doing the whole "hack a healthpack that's of importance, throw down her teleporter, run in and kill one, teleport back, rinse and repeat" thing. One thing I've noticed in all my Sombra games is that the enemy is CONSTANTLY watching their flanks more than when I play any other flanker. There have been times when I've had the entire enemy team pushing a payload, I'd come up from behind and delete a Zen/Mercy/Ana/Lucio, and the entire team would turn toward me to engage. My most successful attempts involved me communicating with my team to push in at the same time as me flanking, enabling either myself to get a bunch of free kills with little pressure, or when the pressure was on me my team would push in and rack up the kills. Several times, a Rein would turn around to shield my shots, only to be melted by my team's front line.

On top of this, she ABSOLUTELY counters Lucio. You save your ult for his, and then completely disable everyone's shields. As far as who Sombra works with well, I'd say she's best paired in a Zarya/Pharrah team. The reason being is - there have been many times, pre Sombra, where you'd pull off the Zrya/Pharrah wombo, only to have the enemy Rein/D.Va block most of the shots. With good communication, Zarya Ult + Sombra hack will COMPLETELY shut down most defenses (I say most because LOL Zenyatta) and enable your team to capitalize on their inability to move/use defensive abilities.

All being said, I've had FAR more success on Defense as Sombra.

So besides the countering Lucio ult thing she's a worse tracer. Tracer is even better with Zarya ult since she can pulse bomb and kill everyone instead of relying on a third teammate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Elliotw2 posted:

You also realize that translocating out of a fight without a kill counts as losing the fight as well, right? If you fail to kill a Mercy and leave for any reason, she'll have her health back before you can get back in there.
Even so a Sombra should not have that happen 1v1 vs a mercy