Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.
SLX only exists to lull you into a false sense of security.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

fingers like strings of walnuts
Sometimes when faced with a problem, you think "I know, I'll use SLX." Now you have two problems.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
I've been banging my head against Safetynet Tracking Badge for hours and it's kicking my rear end. It feels like there are way too many special cases to make anything even close to efficient for calculating the badge's location. With the speaker logic taking up half the space in the puzzle, I'm not sure how I can fit enough MCs for the location tracking logic.

EDIT: The answer is to use a ROM, isn't it? It always comes to you the second after you ask for help :doh:

TheOneAndOnlyT fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Nov 23, 2016

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

I've been banging my head against Safetynet Tracking Badge for hours and it's kicking my rear end. It feels like there are way too many special cases to make anything even close to efficient for calculating the badge's location. With the speaker logic taking up half the space in the puzzle, I'm not sure how I can fit enough MCs for the location tracking logic.

EDIT: The answer is to use a ROM, isn't it? It always comes to you the second after you ask for help :doh:

It can be solved without your spoilered technique, but using that is definitely simpler. Keep the modulo division property of the address lines in mind.
But the audio playback part can be solved with a single MC6000. The radio RX buffers the data so you don't have to store it. Also there will be no location requests while playing out the audio.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Sometimes I wonder if the good power-use solutions I come up with are even close to other people's solutions. I just got down to 293 power on precision food scale but my final optimization was one that took me all the way from ~307 or something to 293, and I have no idea what sort of optimization would get you to a stopping point while still being under 300. Either it's a slightly worse version of mine, which would be okay, or its a completely different optimization, which would mean possibly combining them to get a crazy-good solution.

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

fingers like strings of walnuts

Dancer
May 23, 2011
This game makes you pull the weirdest programming tricks. Here's my solution for Aquaponics Maintenance Robot

Observe that pair of "teq 1 1" lines in the middle component. They are crucial to the part functioning properly :v:.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Unless there's a timing issue, I think you really only need the - side...

Bonfire Lit
Jul 9, 2008

If you're one of the sinners who caused this please unfriend me now.

you should be able to skip the + teq 1 1 line, because it activates + lines if (and only if) + lines are already active.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Bonfire Lit posted:

you should be able to skip the + teq 1 1 line, because it activates + lines if (and only if) + lines are already active.

D'oh :v:! Yeah okay, you're entirely right. The addition of those lines was part of a mission to shorten the code on that chip to fit in just one extra line, and when I managed to do that I was so happy (and tickled by the idea of what I had just done) that I stopped thinking of further improvements.

(edit: to explain, previously all those commands below "teq 1 1" were on both the + and - branches, and I couldn't take them out because they genuinely needed to be disabled when the motor had finished moving. No longer doubling up 3 commands, and adding the 2 "teq 1 1" meant saving one line which was all I needed)

Dancer fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Nov 25, 2016

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
OK. Harvesting Robot. Let's try small baby steps to make this game fun again. My first questions:

-Can I assume that in later test cases we'll get harvest locations at one of the coordinates being zero?
-Are there any cases where you don't have anything to harvest and need to just sit still?

I'm not out of ideas yet, I just want to know how deep the rabbit hole goes. And if I can cram 3 more MC6000s in there with me.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
"Yes" and "Yes". Though AFAIK you never need to harvest (0, 0).

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

homeless snail posted:

The circuit stuff is all abstracted bullshit though

It's not that abstract :shepface:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Yeah I mean, synchronous buses and analog signals are real things...

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Yeah I mean, synchronous buses and analog signals are real things...
Yeah, and the game presents high level abstractions of those things. xbus doesn't operate like any bus I've ever used, and the behavior of simple I/O is fairly abstracted from how actual electronics work. In the context of "will this game teach me how to use microcontrollers in the real world" the answer is no, its too abstract.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Its close enough to life if you assume the traces are stand ins for a ring architecture.

I don't know if you would trace rings like that on a circuit board unless absolutely necessary but its analogous to some real life wired architectures for different ways to network controllers.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

How would you implement something like the XBus even? I'm thinking a ground, "ready to send", "ready to receive", a clock line, and a data line. Before attempting to set ready to send/receive high, you check if someone else has it high and back off. Since only one device can send and only one receive at a time, there needs to be some race condition resolution protocol, perhaps a kind of recipient sends a short, unique message out and sender has to echo it, if it comes back garbled, sender and receiver have to back off a random amount and start over. After resolving race conditions the sender can send the message.
The magic non-blocking components would probably work by never setting their send or receive line high until they sense the other line being set, that way they don't end up talking to each other.

I think that would work?

(The MCx000 developers are assholes for not including TRS and TRR instructions, for "test ready send" and "test ready receive".)

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I used to imagine it like an unaddressed ring. Idle state you repeat anything you get to next in line. Write you send a packet every clock cycle until you receive an ack. Read you wait to receive a packet at which point you broadcast an ack and repeat any acks you receive while waiting.

Blocking components on write hang on receiving an ack, blocking components on read hang on waiting for data, non blocking just send stuff out every clock cycle. In exchange for a slightly insane sync requirement, you get low overhead lost packet correction.

Of course the non determined read order sort of sinks that protocol.

e. Also I guess non blocking components need a garbage collection terminating function which I would argue still flies in universe because its sort of rare and thus implied complicated.

ee. I can't help myself from keeping on specifying. Write doesn't need to rebroadcast unless it catches its own packet so if the packet has a simple device ID it can tell if someone is listening or not by just rebroadcasting instead of reading its own packet. Same hanging behavior without the ring filling with repeated garbage. Can also specify behavior where memory doesn't read from non blocking components as well if non blocking components had a specific prefix in their id.

zedprime fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Nov 28, 2016

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
Hey, just so you guys know, in test 17 of Aquatic Harvesting Robot, the first coordinate to harvest is at 9,9.

Why yes, this the one and ONLY case that breaks my solution.

No, I don't know how to fix it.

gently caress :shepicide:

Though in good news I did discover that if you have a one or two digit number that you need to be positive, the best way to do it is with one command: dst 2 0

GuavaMoment fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Nov 28, 2016

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

GuavaMoment posted:

Though in good news I did discover that if you have a one or two digit number that to need to be positive, the best way to do it is with one command: dst 2 0

:negative:

If you knew how many times I had to redo everything due to being one line short...

(Seriously, thanks. That's seriously useful.)

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

Jabor posted:

No problem. I did solve that harvest robot though! And then I had ten extra minutes to spare, so I figured I might as well bang out the #1 solution on my leaderboards for thorium reactor display.

Fix your difficultly curve, Zach.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

Jabor posted:

:negative:

If you knew how many times I had to redo everything due to being one line short...

Let me get this straight... setting the hundreds digit of acc to 0 also makes it positive?? Is that a bug I wonder

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

bobbilljim posted:

Let me get this straight... setting the hundreds digit of acc to 0 also makes it positive?? Is that a bug I wonder

I think it's just undocumented side effects of the DST instruction.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

nielsm posted:

I think it's just undocumented side effects of the DST instruction.

Yeah, my read is that it exposes that numbers in Shenzhen act like signed ints. The first (or last) bit stores the sign with 1 being negative and 0 being positive.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Shab posted:

Yeah, my read is that it exposes that numbers in Shenzhen act like signed ints. The first (or last) bit stores the sign with 1 being negative and 0 being positive.

Not really, DST always sets the sign bit of the destination to match that of the source, even if it doesn't change the destination otherwise.

dst 2 -9
add 900

That sequence should force acc to be a negative number between -99 and 0.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

nielsm posted:

Not really, DST always sets the sign bit of the destination to match that of the source, even if it doesn't change the destination otherwise.

dst 2 -9
add 900

That sequence should force acc to be a negative number between -99 and 0.

Oh that's interesting. I'll have to play around with that, seems like it could be useful for some solutions.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Steam workshop integration is released. Make your own puzzles (with a bit of lua scripting to define inputs/outputs).

Here's something quick I put together:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=809346938

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Can I get some help with Unknown Optimization Device please? I am so, so close.

Here's what I have:

http://imgur.com/a/Io3ZI

I am so, so close. There's an edge case where X=40 which screws up my TCP in the first MC4000. It's my mistake, i totally forgot that if TCP equals something it disables all + and - after it. So the test fails there and 50 never gets sent on to the second CPU.

I can get through the entire sim run up until page 4 and it's pissing me off. Any tips? is that first CPU savable or do I need to completely overhaul everything? I will have no problems swapping it out for a 6000 if I need to, I don't care at this point.

Edit: hahaha is this randomised data like some of the TIS-100 puzzles? I just replaced the MC4000 with a MC6000 to prepare for code modification and when I ran it it passed. Oh well.

Still, anybody got any ideas how I could slightly improve what I already had? No massive overhauls, that's for later.

thehustler fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Nov 30, 2016

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Why use tcp instead of tgt? Shouldn't that drop in cover the case you're after? Sorry I forget the exact bounds in the spec, but if you want greater than or equal to, you can use tgt p1 39.

The urge to optimize people's posted solutions is...strong.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Nov 30, 2016

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Why use tcp instead of tgt? Shouldn't that drop in cover the case you're after? Sorry I forget the exact bounds in the spec, but if you want greater than or equal to, you can use tgt p1 39.

The urge to optimize people's posted solutions is...strong.

Tried that, didn't always work. Probably triggers another edge case somewhere else I guess?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

thehustler posted:

Tried that, didn't always work. Probably triggers another edge case somewhere else I guess?

Make sure you're being careful with greater than vs greater than or equal to - I'd have to look in the manual to be sure, but they will test those cases.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Make sure you're being careful with greater than vs greater than or equal to - I'd have to look in the manual to be sure, but they will test those cases.

I'll make sure to go back and make sure it works properly, but I've just cracked the Vape Pen in 10 minutes. That's ridiculous.

Using the same trick from TIS-100 of sending an output to multiple inputs one after the other turns out to be the key. Lots of SLXs until you actually get the data you want.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
tgt p1 39 should work there, since it what's I've got in my solution (627 power, a rare better-than-average solution by me~)

Llamadeus fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Dec 1, 2016

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
I am at the point where I would appreciate help for cellular scaffold. My motors work. My psi valve works. I could use some help compressing the alpha and beta valve outputs into, well a single digit would be nice. That's a lot of data that needs compressing, AND it needs to run backwards every other time. I can give the xbus number to the alpha and beta chips at the right time, but don't know what to do with it.

I like this one a lot. It's harder than the challenge it's based off of, but is still quite manageable, and has multiple routes you can attack it from. Did you just take the input/output series from the original and reverse them for this?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

GuavaMoment posted:

I like this one a lot. It's harder than the challenge it's based off of, but is still quite manageable, and has multiple routes you can attack it from. Did you just take the input/output series from the original and reverse them for this?

Thanks!

It's surprisingly difficult to use pregenerated inputs and outputs if you want them to vary across runs - as far as I know, you don't actually get told which run you're generating, you just get a differently-seeded RNG for each one.

I took the lowest-effort way of generating a random number that you'll be expected to output, and then computing the input that you'd get. I guess it might coincidentally line up with the original puzzle if the rng is seeded the same way across puzzles.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
so I have the 3/180 solution to control signal amplifier but I think there's a 3/130-ish solution floating around and I'm really close but I can't quite get it because there isn't enough space to wire properly

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

GuavaMoment posted:

Pulse generator can also be done in one single, glorious line of code, no PGA33X6 required. Your only hint is the cost of that solution: four yuan.

Giant hint: the documentation for slp is slp R/I

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

GuavaMoment posted:

Big hint: Those three numbers mod 14 are 0, 11 and 8

I really don't get it

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

GotLag posted:

Consider the behaviour change to simple I/O introduced a month ago

I just started playing this week so I don't remember it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

I really don't get it

An expansion on the big hint: See what happens when you try putting too-big argument integers into the parts that include the number 14 in their operation.

• Locked thread