Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

MattD1zzl3 posted:

So you're planning on a world where females by and large do not reproduce because they are smart enough to know better?

"Feeeemales." Thanks for stopping by, Open White Supremacist MattD1zzl3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SavageBastard
Nov 16, 2007
Professional Lurker

Trabisnikof posted:

USPol November: Cowboys beat Indians

Yeah, I couldn't really wrap my head around how 1955 today was.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Paul Ryan ruined his patio trying to fry a turkey today, so that's nice.

https://twitter.com/PRyan/status/801905790311399428

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

MattD1zzl3 posted:

So you're planning on a world where females by and large do not reproduce because they are smart enough to know better?

she isn't talking about your incel lifestyle.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

TheScott2K posted:

If only it exploded.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

socialsecurity posted:

Ha what, automation replacing workers is a recent thing? Like you seriously think we invented this poo poo whole cloth in the past year or something? Also robots still replace human jobs, not every job but the number of humans required to produce poo poo constantly goes down how on earth you could you pretend that's not happening?

I never said anything of the sort. I said that the you're repeating a line about how we can't bring manufacturing jobs back to the US from overseas because those jobs will simply be automated. If they could be, they would be at this point. Why would a company bother with overseas labor when it can control the production in the United States?

It's a line on the level of the lie that factories can't be built in the US due to restrictive environmental laws.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

TheScott2K posted:

here is why he did this: http://www.reuters.com/video/2016/11/23/dont-try-to-fry-a-frozen-turkeyus-safety?videoId=370536213

so he was being a big baby

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

SimonCat posted:

I never said anything of the sort. I said that the you're repeating a line about how we can't bring manufacturing jobs back to the US from overseas because those jobs will simply be automated. If they could be, they would be at this point. Why would a company bother with overseas labor when it can control the production in the United States?

Because overseas labor is way, way cheaper than automation, which in many cases is already cheaper than US labor. We can have the manufacturing jobs back, as long as you're willing to work for $4/hour.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

what the gently caress is wrong with his broken loving brain why would you try to flashfry a frozen turkey that just fucks up the meat you loving idiot :argh:

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Jesus, they might as well just say "Warning: Too loving Awesome"

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Trabisnikof posted:

And there are still buggy whip makers. But buggy whip making won't be a source of employment and economic success for any American community.

Oh good, quote a line from a Danny Devito movie where he plays a corporate raider explaining why a US factory has to be closed and the production moved overseas.

Tell that to the people of Hanover, Illinois, whose factory was closed not because of automation, but because it made a venture capital company money.

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2015/09/factory-closure-private-equity/406264/

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

If only it exploded.

courtesy of Alton Brown, what happens when you gently caress up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLNLYL24qUA&t=177s

~ 2:57 for the good bit.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Paradoxish posted:

Because overseas labor is way, way cheaper than automation, which in many cases is already cheaper than US labor. We can have the manufacturing jobs back, as long as you're willing to work for $4/hour.

This ignores that we manufacture an amazing amount of products in the US and pay the workers more than $4.

Do you believe McDonald's or Wal-Mart when they tell their employees that the company can't afford to raise their wages?

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

TheScott2K posted:

Do you know, I had some fried turkey at a thanksgiving long past; that's pretty much how we did it too, only my uncle had the foresight to not do it on a patio (he did it in his yard and used a burner). We had 3 turkeys that year, all done a different style; I remember the fried as pretty good, so I don't suppose I can fault the Speaker for his taste... Just for everything else.

Convalescing after today's meal myself; no fried turkey, but no politics either. It was lovely :unsmith:

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

SimonCat posted:

Oh good, quote a line from a Danny Devito movie where he plays a corporate raider explaining why a US factory has to be closed and the production moved overseas.

Tell that to the people of Hanover, Illinois, whose factory was closed not because of automation, but because it made a venture capital company money.

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2015/09/factory-closure-private-equity/406264/

You completely miss my point. I'm not disputing why the jobs left, I'm saying there won't be more jobs in existing factories and new factories won't ever be adding low skilled factory jobs at a meaningful scale ever again.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Trabisnikof posted:

You completely miss my point. I'm not disputing why the jobs left, I'm saying there won't be more jobs in existing factories and new factories won't ever be adding low skilled factory jobs at a meaningful scale ever again.

Not true at all. Volkswagen opened a factory in Chattanooga in 2011 employing over 2,000 people and paying an average of $27 an hour.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

resurgam40 posted:

Do you know, I had some fried turkey at a thanksgiving long past; that's pretty much how we did it too, only my uncle had the foresight to not do it on a patio (he did it in his yard and used a burner). We had 3 turkeys that year, all done a different style; I remember the fried as pretty good, so I don't suppose I can fault the Speaker for his taste... Just for everything else.

Convalescing after today's meal myself; no fried turkey, but no politics either. It was lovely :unsmith:

We had hickory smoked this year.

Good year.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

SimonCat posted:

Not true at all. Volkswagen opened a factory in Chattanooga in 2011 employing over 2,000 people and paying an average of $27 an hour.

And are those mainly low skilled jobs?

Also the old US plant that VW closed in the 80s employed up to 6,000 people making half the number of vehicles.

Edit: and we only needed to give them $500M to get those 2,000 jobs back. Such a good deal for the American worker.

Trabisnikof fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Nov 25, 2016

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

SimonCat posted:

Take that liberals :smugdon:

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

SimonCat posted:

This ignores that we manufacture an amazing amount of products in the US and pay the workers more than $4.

Do you believe McDonald's or Wal-Mart when they tell their employees that the company can't afford to raise their wages?

I'm not going to post the graphs of manufacturing jobs in the US vs. manufacturing output for like the millionth time in this thread, so just go look those up. We produce an amazing amount of stuff in the US. The US is the largest manufacturer in the world, and we manage to do this while only employing about 7% of the labor force in manufacturing.

The things we manufacture in the US are things that require skilled, often educated labor. This is why a lot of US manufacturing jobs have very good pay. Like, you're just so completely wrong about this that I don't know where to begin. The only way these jobs are coming back in large numbers is as some kind of odd welfare program where we subsidize low end manufacturing.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Hope the TN factory didn't make diesels. Those are gone from NA.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Don't worry, trump has a plan to bring back jobs. He already hired the best spirit medium

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

SimonCat posted:

And yet Americans are still employed in factories making construction machinery, aircraft, farm equipment, automobiles, and other products.

D&D has bought the line about automation hook, line, and sinker. It's being pushed by factory owners who don't want to change the status quo of utilizing cheap labor in 3rd and 2nd world countries. They put out story after story about how automation is going to put everyone out of work and that we can't bring manufacturing back to the US because it'll just mean robots here and unemployed Chinese there.

What they don't tell you is the truth, that robots are expensive. Robots are very expensive and are only really useful at predictable and repetitive movements. They are very difficult to repurpose and require constant and expensive maintenance.

Humans are easy to train and can be repurposed at will. They are adaptable and plentiful. If you need more of them, you can hire more, if you need fewer, you can lay them off and not have to pay for upkeep.

This line has only seriously started seeing prominence now that the top politicians in the country are pushing harder and harder to bring manufacturing jobs back to the US. It is not a coincidence.

What we are saying is the growth in manufacturing output is faster than the growth of jobs in manufacturing. There are not many manufacturing jobs, and even if we went balls deep we are too big a country for there to be more than maybe 10% of the workforce in manufacturing assuming magic fairy dust assumptions. If you double the size of a factory you don't double the workforce.

Automation with general purpose robotics that can mimic the actions of skilled welders who "train" them. That trend is slowed only by one thing: capital investments are huge risks. It's the same reason inefficient, crappy old coal and oil power plants still run when newer gas plants are cheaper and more efficient to run. Automation creeps in slowly as older, labor-intensive plants are replaced due to age.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Grouchio posted:

Are we looking at 10% or 15% or 20% national unemployment rates here when China's economy implodes and the tech bubble pops?

Uh, none of the above? Tech bubble stuff doesn't really employ much people, and if China's economy implodes the problem will mostly just be a lot of stuff going up in price, which doesn't directly lead to many Americans losing jobs.

Paradoxish posted:

I'm not going to post the graphs of manufacturing jobs in the US vs. manufacturing output for like the millionth time in this thread, so just go look those up. We produce an amazing amount of stuff in the US. The US is the largest manufacturer in the world, and we manage to do this while only employing about 7% of the labor force in manufacturing.

The things we manufacture in the US are things that require skilled, often educated labor. This is why a lot of US manufacturing jobs have very good pay. Like, you're just so completely wrong about this that I don't know where to begin. The only way these jobs are coming back in large numbers is as some kind of odd welfare program where we subsidize low end manufacturing.

Don't forget that a lot of "low skill" US labor simply moved to the US south or occasionally the southwest, while you're at it. Because you can run your widget factory with way lower state minimum wage and regulation in South Carolina or Texas versus say Michigan.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Blindeye posted:

What we are saying is the growth in manufacturing output is faster than the growth of jobs in manufacturing.

It's more extreme than this, even. Over the last 15 years or so, US manufacturing output has increased by about 20% even though we've shed about a third of the manufacturing workforce. We're literally increasing output and eliminating jobs at the same time.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Trabisnikof posted:

And are those mainly low skilled jobs?

Also the old US plant that VW closed in the 80s employed up to 6,000 people making half the number of vehicles.

Edit: and we only needed to give them $500M to get those 2,000 jobs back. Such a good deal for the American worker.

I really dont understand the logic of points like these. What is the 'so what?'

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/801952901283332096

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

It's just another form of liberal white America sneering at those stupid poor people for voting for Trump to bring back jobs. You see voting for HRC would have been better because she outright campaigned on those jobs not being around anymore.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Why the gently caress is Trump's 62.3 smaller on this graph than Bush's 62.0?

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

We clearly hit Peak Democrat in 2008. Time to pack it in.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Paradoxish posted:

Yeah, and it tends to happen a lot more suddenly than people expect thanks to recessions. The pattern is incredibly obvious in manufacturing, where output bounces back and improves between recessions while employment holds ground at best.

edit- automation.png

and also why all this poo poo about trade that dominated the election has been just total poo poo

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Why the gently caress is Trump's 62.3 smaller on this graph than Bush's 62.0?

It's not, its an optical illusion because of the length of the adjacent bars.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

Paradoxish posted:

It's more extreme than this, even. Over the last 15 years or so, US manufacturing output has increased by about 20% even though we've shed about a third of the manufacturing workforce. We're literally increasing output and eliminating jobs at the same time.

That point about growth is about "new" jobs from scratch. The phenomena you mentioned is because of the point I was making about obsolesence; all those 20th century plants at the end of their life got replaced by automated equipment that allowed for massive layoffs. The steel industry would be a prime example, for instance.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

size1one posted:

itshappening.gif

:laugh:

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Boon posted:

I really dont understand the logic of points like these. What is the 'so what?'

The point is, low skilled manufacturing jobs won't come back and people who are pointing at plants like the VW plant can't see the forest for a few fallen trees.

I can point to operating and expanding gold mines in California but the Rush of '49 isn't coming back.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006

Trump still sucks when you adjust for population growth :awesome:

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

and also why all this poo poo about trade that dominated the election has been just total poo poo

So manufacturing jobs dropped precipitously after NAFTA was imposed?

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Trabisnikof posted:

The point is, low skilled manufacturing jobs won't come back and people who are pointing at plants like the VW plant can't see the forest for a few fallen trees.

I can point to operating and expanding gold mines in California but the Rush of '49 isn't coming back.

This is a bad analogy. A better one is farming.

The US farming industry is more productive than ever before, and employs less people than ever before. Manufacturing is the same way.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Is there a version of this that adjusts for total eligible voting population?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

shrike82 posted:

So manufacturing jobs dropped precipitously after NAFTA was imposed?

Yeah, right about that time Dubya entered office. Imagine that!

• Locked thread