Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
How do y'all have room for these giant TVs? I really need something in the 50" range (max) to fit my living room setup, but LG refuses to give me a flat OLED at that 50" size. And I can't go LED because I need wide viewing angle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

mounting it? I have a small rear end place and 60" fit just fine

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

John Brown posted:

Thanks guys. I've found a KS8000 for $729 at 55"

Is this the employee discount thing I assume? I would make a financially irresponsible decision at that price.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I wanna get a new TV, I'm in the UK and can't really break the bank. I want a (probably 1080p) set over 40" - are there any banging black friday sales I should be looking for?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Number_6 posted:

How do y'all have room for these giant TVs? I really need something in the 50" range (max) to fit my living room setup, but LG refuses to give me a flat OLED at that 50" size. And I can't go LED because I need wide viewing angle.

Don't blame LG you live in squalor, poor.

I'm kidding. But 55" is minimum, tvs are only getting bigger. That's a viewing distance of like 6-7'. You don't have that much room yet require wide viewing angle?

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Kinda bummed right now. Tried out 3D on the LG C6 and since I have to mount my tv fairly high on my wall due to the built ins the 3d is basically worthless unless you stand up. It seems like on my Panasonic view angle for 3D isn't much of an issue. It's a major issue on this tv, you basically have to be looking straight on for it to look good.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I have my LG on a media center stand and I find my seat has me about 6-8" too low as the top of the screen doesn't have perfect blending of the two frames. I've read instances of people with the same sets having to lie on the floor to get a good picture. I believe it's something that can be dealt with by a service tech, but I'm not sure if it goes beyond being able to fix the 3D layer so it works at perfect eye level.

Since we got our TV in August, we've racked up 1,000 hours on it. Only slightly surprised by this.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

wandler20 posted:

Kinda bummed right now. Tried out 3D on the LG C6 and since I have to mount my tv fairly high on my wall due to the built ins the 3d is basically worthless unless you stand up. It seems like on my Panasonic view angle for 3D isn't much of an issue. It's a major issue on this tv, you basically have to be looking straight on for it to look good.

That's pretty much the nature of passive 3d in general. If you aren't lined up properly with the TV, polarization can't work right.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

bull3964 posted:

That's pretty much the nature of passive 3d in general. If you aren't lined up properly with the TV, polarization can't work right.

Could they angle the tv down to fix the viewing angle?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

angryrobots posted:

Could they angle the tv down to fix the viewing angle?

That should work, you just need to be looking a the TV more or less directly.

68Bird
Sep 2, 2004
I went back and read the past 30 pages of the thread last night, saw everyone blowing their loads about the LG OLEDs and just purchased a 55" B6 as a result. God drat it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

One of us
One of us
Etc

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

68Bird posted:

I went back and read the past 30 pages of the thread last night, saw everyone blowing their loads about the LG OLEDs and just purchased a 55" B6 as a result. God drat it.

Welcome. I knew if bull was blown away by it I would be. Been following his recommendations since Panasonic Plasma days.

68Bird
Sep 2, 2004
I figure that I can mount this in our bedroom, so we'll be within 7 1/2 feet of the screen and it should be plenty big. That also means that I don't have to budget for a new sofa, AND I'll be able to justify a newer bigger TV for the living room in a few years.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
After gleefully telling Currys to go gently caress themselves and grabbing John Lewis' latest restock, my UE55KS7000 has now graced my entertainment center and I have seen The Witness in HDR.

I made the right choice.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?
Edit: nvm

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Nov 25, 2016

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice
Why is this so cheap?

http://www.tvsuperstores.com/LG_Signature_B6_Series_OLED65B6P_-_65_OLED_Smart_TV_-_4K_UltraHD_752.html

This seems too good to be true

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Probably a reason for 41 1 star reviews from Google.

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice
Holy poo poo you're not kidding. Not a single review over one star

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?
I'll rephrase my earlier rambling: is Samsung a good choice for regular use (streaming, etc) 4K? Looks like I can get them for $400 (KU6300 50") or $550 (KU6290 55"), can't tell if those are decent deals, wife tried work discount but still came up w/ posted prices.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

It's one of those stores that won't actually ship your tv until you agree to pay $400 more for insurance or something else like that.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Currently have a Samsung UN50EH5000 and the wife was looking for an upgrade, possibly in the Vizio M65-D0 from Costco for $1k.
Is that a solid choice? What else is good for that size at around that price point?
We do have access to corporate perks discounts on Samsung items.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Is this the TV the thread creams themselves over?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LG-OLED65B6P-Flat-65-Inch-4K-Ultra-HD-Smart-OLED-TV/272285079778

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Is there any reason to get a 4K tv right now if I only use my tv for ps4? Or would you recommend I have the ps4 pro first?

Also I'm curious how the 4K tv's compare to non-4K for input lag?

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Nov 25, 2016

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

So I bought this thing last night and was wondering if I should just return it now and get something better.

http://www.target.com/p/element-32-...-g&gclsrc=aw.ds

I was wanting a tv for a PS4 and bluray watching in my bedroom. Not wanting to get more than 42" as I won't be more than 2-6 feet away depending on where I lay.

Thanks for any feedback.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

actionjackson posted:

Is there any reason to get a 4K tv right now if I only use my tv for ps4? Or would you recommend I have the ps4 pro first?

Also I'm curious how the 4K tv's compare to non-4K for input lag?

Streaming services use 4K.

Input lag is the same, panel/manufacturer dependent as ever.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Trying to Christmas shop for the folks, and they have an oddball requirement. They want a new TV that is at most 35" wide (including bezel) to fit in their entertainment center. How on earth do I search for this and find a decent set?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

You can usually get full "with bezel" dimensions from manufacturer websites.

But finding something decent, eh, they're all going to be about the same at that size range.

The biggest issue finding any TV that comes close to filling that size and fitting. 40" screen means a 34.9" width without bezel. So, you need sub 40". Most manufacturers have phased out everything between 32 and 40".

If you only had one more inch to play with, you could get a 40" 4k Samsung JU7500. The curve makes it only 36" wide.

This might be your largest best bet.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/insignia-39-class-38-5-diag--led-1080p-smart-hdtv-roku-tv-black/4863802.p?skuId=4863802

39" insignia 1080p with Roku, 34.7 inches wide.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Nov 26, 2016

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

3 of us have the C version. This is the B version. B is flat, but had no 3D and response time was rumored to be lower.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

bull3964 posted:

You can usually get full "with bezel" dimensions from manufacturer websites.

But finding something decent, eh, they're all going to be about the same at that size range.

The biggest issue finding any TV that comes close to filling that size and fitting. 40" screen means a 34.9" width without bezel. So, you need sub 40". Most manufacturers have phased out everything between 32 and 40".

If you only had one more inch to play with, you could get a 40" 4k Samsung JU7500. The curve makes it only 36" wide.

This might be your largest best bet.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/insignia-39-class-38-5-diag--led-1080p-smart-hdtv-roku-tv-black/4863802.p?skuId=4863802

39" insignia 1080p with Roku, 34.7 inches wide.

That's the best I've seen sadly, but the insignia brand worried be a bit, though for a buck eighty, I guess I can't go too wrong.

vogonity
Aug 1, 2005

Buglord
Is there a difference between the UN40KU6290FXZA and UN40KU6300FXZA besides the (bezel?) color?

Has anyone seen the "Dark Titan" in person? Worth saving $50 for?
(assuming I can still find that model in stock before the sales end)

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Is there a goon-recommended HDMI splitter? My HDMI 2 port has stopped working.

Fetko
Oct 21, 2004

Wilford Cutlery posted:

Is there a goon-recommended HDMI splitter? My HDMI 2 port has stopped working.

I used this splitter from monoprice for a while before i upgraded my receiver. It may be overkill for your needs, but i needed a discreet optical audio out at the time.

http://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=101&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011002&p_id=7974&seq=1&format=2

Fetko
Oct 21, 2004
I received my 65C6P today. I got the Philips UHD Blu-Ray player on Wednesday. Just watched The Martian in HDR and I'm blown away. I've been wanting an OLED set for a while, and this set is fantastic. Time to buy some more 4K discs this weekend. Too bad there's not a lot of content out right now.

Only gripe, and i'm sure it's a combination of source material and lack of calibration, but the space scenes in The Martian weren't pure black. There were definitely other deep black parts to the movie, but space was washed out.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Best Buy has most of their UHD titles marked down to $18 today.

Fetko
Oct 21, 2004
Yeah, going to head there tomorrow and hope they're still on sale. I at least want to grab Mad Max.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Fetko posted:

I received my 65C6P today. I got the Philips UHD Blu-Ray player on Wednesday. Just watched The Martian in HDR and I'm blown away. I've been wanting an OLED set for a while, and this set is fantastic. Time to buy some more 4K discs this weekend. Too bad there's not a lot of content out right now.

Only gripe, and i'm sure it's a combination of source material and lack of calibration, but the space scenes in The Martian weren't pure black. There were definitely other deep black parts to the movie, but space was washed out.

Fire up Amazon video and watch Grand Tour in 4k HDR. Even if you're not a car guy fast forward past the part where they're on stage (like 10 min in) and watch the season summary/preview. The explosions are nuts.

It singlehandedly talked my inlaws out of buying a lovely black friday TV because they didn't want to spend to get an OLED.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
I got a 2016 model Samsung 65" 6300 series 4k off Amazon today, marked down to 997$ with free shipping and seemed like a good deal. I picked it because of the price point and also because it offered some of the lowest input lag you can get (20.4ms @60hz 4k with HDR on) which is good for me since I play shooters. Image quality isn't the absolute breaker for me as I'm not a videophile, but the reviews still said it was pretty decent. I'm pretty excited, never had a TV over 50". Even picked up a sound bar to go along with it. I'll probably upgrade the audio to a full setup with a receiver and 5.1 once we purchase a house, but for now a two channel bar will get the job done.

Anybody have experience or can point to guides about how to properly calibrate the colors out of the box? Or can I just plug and play?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The AVS toolset is free and doesn't need external hardware, so it's a pretty good place to start. The Game mode should already be set up nicely to reduce extra processing and lag, so you might just want to tweak that a bit.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-display-calibration/948496-avs-hd-709-blu-ray-mp4-calibration.html#/forumsite/3207/topics/948496?page=1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

If you're not a videophile don't worry about calibration until you have it and have something you don't like.

Just use game mode as mentioned above.

Also each set is different, so if you want calibration you'll need to look at your specific set.