Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Caeks
Dec 27, 2009

Dren posted:

So besides the countering Lucio ult thing she's a worse tracer. Tracer is even better with Zarya ult since she can pulse bomb and kill everyone instead of relying on a third teammate.

Basically, I wouldn't say "worse" - just different. Sombra's a far better pick vs Lucio teams, and I'd argue Sombra's also better on defense due to medkit denial on certain maps (In example, Hollywood A defense. You can cause pain to enemies via negating the medkit outside the first choke). I'd say she's far better on defense than Tracer is. As the roster expands, there may be more instances where her usefulness will be sought after over a Tracer.

If the hacking through shield on the PTR makes it live, though I doubt it will, you'll see a shitton more Sombra coming up.

Elliotw2 posted:

You also realize that translocating out of a fight without a kill counts as losing the fight as well, right? If you fail to kill a Mercy and leave for any reason, she'll have her health back before you can get back in there.

This. I can't stress this enough. If you can't pick off one and have to relocate, you've essentially lost the fight, albeit with slightly less recovery time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Denying health kits to the enemy would matter a whole lot more if teams didn't run 2 healers competitively and any health restored by any skill charges ultimates, you might end up doing the other team a service because the guy gives his healer 10% ultimate instead of running over a full health pack.

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.
Widow is back to being a loving plague on this game. A decent one can basically quickscope a headshot while flying through the air at present. And there's no shake or descoping from damage so she can calmly stand there and line you up while you're drilling her. She might finish with one tick of health, but she gets the kill.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
It's funny how the Sombra gameplay stuff they showed at Blizzcon or whatever showed Sombra hacking a turrets, but there's almost never going to be a situation where that's possible.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
After 21 straight hours of dva play I finally got the quad kill cheevo.

I don't know how to play anybody else now.

Caeks
Dec 27, 2009

Macaluso posted:

It's funny how the Sombra gameplay stuff they showed at Blizzcon or whatever showed Sombra hacking a turrets, but there's almost never going to be a situation where that's possible.

Yeah this is by far the worst thing. You can't hack a turret for poo poo, and you'd think by her design you'd be a Tjorb counter.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
Sombra's damage output is so bad that she really needs something else for her hack. If you spend a second hacking someone after positioning yourself, it has to be equal to the damage that you could have done as a Tracer or Reaper. Otherwise, you should have just shot them in the face.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Maybe hacked targets take discord-level bonus damage, but only from Sombra? idk

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
https://gfycat.com/JollyDismalBantamrooster
3v3 is fun

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
How busted would it be if she could hack while cloaked?

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn

flatluigi posted:

How busted would it be if she could hack while cloaked?

Would probably be like if the TF2 spy could place sappers if he was invisible, broken.

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Get rid of the interruption if you take damage while hacking, I guess

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
The thing about Sombra's ult is that like Zarya's ult it's a big enabler, it doesn't really do much on its own but it has the potential to leave the red team supremely vulnerable. The biggest difference in my opinion isn't even that it breaks barriers, though that is a factor, it's that graviton surge is really, really easy to gently caress up. You have to aim a projectile, hope you got the placement right, and hope that the red team doesn't counter it in some fashion be it with a barrier, another ult, whatever. I've seen a lot of Zaryas whiff this, I've whiffed it, and it took a long time to charge even before the general ult charge nerfs.

Sombra meanwhile is vastly simpler. Do you have LOS to someone in the extremely generous radius? Click, done. Rein can't shield it, D.Va can't eat it, Zen can't pop his ult in response. The drawback is that it doesn't clump everyone in a nice little ball for you but the upside is that you don't have to wait for that one perfect moment, you can instead pick a Pretty Good moment and it can still have a significant impact. I've heard the argument that locking people out of their ults and all means that when they respawn it means that you'll be facing a red team with their ults ready to use but you could apply the same argument to graviton surge. Both are essentially ults that are about setting up a big push or strong hold, and if you can capitalize on that then I'd say they're about as strong give or take graviton surge's ability to score cheeky kills using the wall on Lijang Gardens or something niche like that.

Runefaust posted:

Yeah this is by far the worst thing. You can't hack a turret for poo poo, and you'd think by her design you'd be a Tjorb counter.

Does Torb really need a counter though?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

There's a blue post detailing a shift to being able to bank lootboxes in the upcoming Xmas event so nobody open any.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Just found out that a 5 stack that I teamed up with about two months ago got super offended when I called D.va "the asian chick" and Lucio "the black guy" jokingly during skirmish. Unbeknownst to me they got all super PC and confused and then refused to play with me. Then I was told they were a mix of races and sexualities and didn't find that kind of terminology funny. I said I thought that was pretty gay and a few minutes later I had to delete a bunch of strangers who wouldn't talk to me anymore from Battle.net.

On the plus side, I had a lot of really fun games with Goons today on Discord.

FAUXTON posted:

There's a blue post detailing a shift to being able to bank lootboxes in the upcoming Xmas event so nobody open any.

That's cool as heck but I thought lootboxes were determined when you're awarded them? Are they changing that just for the Christmas event?

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

AndyElusive posted:

Just found out that a 5 stack that I teamed up with about two months ago got super offended when I called D.va "the asian chick" and Lucio "the black guy" jokingly during skirmish. Unbeknownst to me they got all super PC and confused and then refused to play with me. Then I was told they were a mix of races and sexualities and didn't find that kind of terminology funny. I said I thought that was pretty gay and a few minutes later I had to delete a bunch of strangers who wouldn't talk to me anymore from Battle.net.

wow you really showed those sjws good going bro that's massive top kek right there

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I just don't want to occasionally play in a co-op fps world where I can't call out focus fire on someone by identifying the target by their race in a dead-pan manner. :colbert:

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

Rick posted:

The nice thing about being a bad player is I got my D.va quad kill before they even buffed her explosion just by tossing it towards point B on Volskya.

This is correct. In one game of Hanamura offense, I got a quad-kill twice by tossing it from the front door to the center of point B. First time that didn't even secure us a win as I died in the process and I guess my team mates were "busy", but for the second time I spammed my ultimate button beforehand to let every one know that this is it, boys and girls :laugh:

Manatee Cannon posted:

qp and comp have separate stats but the brawls just flat out aren't recorded at all. maybe that's different with arcade mode but you should be able to check in your stats

This is getting annoying. It was alright when 90% of the brawls were poo poo, but now with the arcade, that's where I literally spend most of my game time and it would be nice to have some basic stats such as game time per hero.

I guess there's no way to see my total time spent in Overwatch, kind of like Steam games? It used to be easy to add up QP + comp and make a guess for the brawls, but I guess from now on I'll just have to go with 1 level = 1 hour (or a bit more) or something like that.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
If you can get 1 gold medal a match it takes about 10 to level after level 100, so go with that, yeah.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

AndyElusive posted:

Yeah man haha gently caress those PC people right? I mean why get offended when you call someone the much easier to follow and understand "Asian chick" instead of her extremely well known, unique, and shorter name?

They are totally a bunch of The Homo, hah!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

AndyElusive posted:

I just don't want to occasionally play in a co-op fps world where I can't call out focus fire on someone by identifying the target by their race in a dead-pan manner. :colbert:

Considering there are multiple characters in the game who can be described as "the Asian chick" that doesn't seem like it would help you much.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Oh it didn't help since it's literally the worst way to describe a giant pink Mecha monstrosity. It helped with Lucio though, I think he's the only black guy in the game.

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Nov 25, 2016

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

FAUXTON posted:

Do you have a link to the post? I went looking for it but I didn't find anything.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Thor-Stryker posted:

Sombra's ult is good in general because it creates a barrel of fish for your team to shoot at. It just allows your team to ult freely without being countered.

I mean you're right but that's as much a bad thing as it is good because you're throwing ults away when the other team isn't in a position to do the same, meaning you win this fight and are probably gonna lose the next. that's good when you're attacking on the 2cp maps because you just want to wipe the other team and take the point once but really bad on, say, koth, because you want to keep yourself at an ult advantage to hold the point as long as possible

if you're gonna initiate a fight with the emp, you should try to either only use one other ult to follow it up or just win the fight without any by taking advantage of your cooldowns while the other team doesn't have any. following your emp with a stack of ults is a waste unless you just need to win that one fight

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

AndyElusive posted:

It's not a race issue, it's a class issue. In the future please say "everyone shoot at the healer/tank" instead.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Had an intense 3v3 the other day - match is tied 2 to 2, both my teammates go down, but I won it as Solider - taking out a Winston, Solider and Hanzo on my own.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

AndyElusive posted:

Oh it didn't help since it's literally the worst way to describe a giant pink Mecha monstrosity. It helped with Lucio though, I think he's the only black guy in the game.

Reaper is black. Both on the outside and under the costume.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

I thought Reaper was hispanic.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
You can be both things at the same time but with the guy from L.A. named Gabriel Reyes who wears a mariachi costume they were probably going for Latino specifically.

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 368 days!

AndyElusive posted:

On the plus side, I had a lot of really fun games with Goons today on Discord.

That's cool as heck but I thought lootboxes were determined when you're awarded them? Are they changing that just for the Christmas event?

That's an incredibly trashy thing to do, and they were right to stop talking to you.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Digital_Jesus posted:

Reaper is black. Both on the outside and under the costume.

I believe you mean from the waist down :pervert:

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Crumpet Strumpet posted:

That's an incredibly trashy thing to do, and they were right to stop talking to you.

Which part? When I called the groups favorite waifu Asian or when I called Lucio a black dude? The part where I called them being upset gay didn't actually happen, that was just embellishment.

I wasn't exactly cracking edgey mcedgester levels of racial humor or anything, I was being a little deliberately facetious maybe and purposely obtuse but not purposely offensive.

But ya, I'm starting to get how race is strictly off limits when it comes to joking about Overwatch and its racially diverse cast of heroes.

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Nov 25, 2016

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
i didn't know asian and black were now racist terms

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Snazzy Frocks posted:

i didn't know asian and black were now racist terms

given that he then complains about them being "super PC" I doubt those are the exact words he used

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Opposing Farce posted:

Do you have a link to the post? I went looking for it but I didn't find anything.

More effort than you should've expended on an obvious troll post.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i played a 3v3 and my teammates told me to "play a real dps" when i tried to play junkrat

then i played a 1v1 and lost really bad and got the sadbrain again so i don't think i'll be doing those anymore

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
While it hasn't happened often, I'm soft enough that winning 5-0 in 1v1 feels worse for me than losing 0-5.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

flatluigi posted:

given that he then complains about them being "super PC" I doubt those are the exact words he used

I didn't mention all this to garner goon support or whatever, but I'm being completely honest when I tell you that they were the exact words I used.

Sorry about dropping the phrase "super PC" though, it was the first way to describe it that came to mind.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Opposing Farce posted:

Just trust me on this and don't open your loot boxes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 368 days!

AndyElusive posted:

Which part? When I called the groups favorite waifu Asian or when I called Lucio a black dude? The part where I called them being upset gay didn't actually happen, that was just embellishment.

I wasn't exactly cracking edgey mcedgester levels of racial humor or anything, I was being a little deliberately facetious maybe and purposely obtuse but not purposely offensive.

But ya, I'm starting to get how race is strictly off limits when it comes to joking about Overwatch and its racially diverse cast of heroes.

Identifying people by their race is a problem for exactly the reason you discovered: it can make people feel uncomfortable and alienated, no matter how you meant it. If someone was asked to describe you, and they said "he's the white guy", you'd be put off. It's common courtesy, and this goes for most of life, not just in this game.

I'm sure you understand, otherwise getting called out wouldn't bother you. It's just something to be aware of.