Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Surprising almost no one:

https://twitter.com/ussoccer/status/801128183814901764

Seltzer posted:

Probably the falsest of rumours but Bielsa to the USMNT

http://www.lanacion.com.ar/1958372-marcelo-bielsa-candidato-a-dirigir-a-la-seleccion-de-estados-unidos

His list of demands

-MLS season to start in February not April
-A $4 million usd yearly salary
-Landon Donovan as part of his coaching staff

Let's do it

A Feb-Oct schedule wouldn't be the worst thing in the world, right? Go away heavy for teams up north and home heavy for TX/FL during the beginning of the year, flip it in the summer. Also allows more time to avoid conflicts with teams that share venues. Far less likely to have playoff games possibly affected by snow.

whypick1 fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Nov 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735
The idea of Landycakes as a deal breaker is hilarious to me

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

It's Bruce

http://www.ussoccer.com/stories/2016/11/22/17/42/161121-mnt-bruce-arena-named-head-coach-of-us-mens-national-team

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

whypick1 posted:

Surprising almost no one:

https://twitter.com/ussoccer/status/801128183814901764

A Feb-Oct schedule wouldn't be the worst thing in the world, right? Go away heavy for teams up north and home heavy for TX/FL during the beginning of the year, flip it in the summer. Also allows more time to avoid conflicts with teams that share venues. Far less likely to have playoff games possibly affected by snow.

How would it be affected by international breaks? Would MLS still ignore most of them?

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

whypick1 posted:

It would probably be doable (if there were enough teams with playable February weather) but in a league with such heavy home field advantage we'd probably just have to ignore all league tables before like the last three weeks of the regular season.

El Jebus posted:

How would it be affected by international breaks? Would MLS still ignore most of them?

There'd be a bit more leeway to reschedule international breaks if we were aiming for an October MLS Cup instead of a December one, but I suspect the answer to your question will continue to be "some teams will continue to play on international breaks because they'd rather lose a few players than lose a few thousand fans thanks to midweek attendance slumps"

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

So Sigi is probably going to take over LA then.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

binge crotching posted:

gently caress you, don't say that poo poo!

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

El Jebus posted:

Next year's FIFA calendar (qualifying/friendly dates unless otherwise stated):

Jan 14-Feb 5: Africa Cup of Nations
Mar 20-28
Jun 5-13
Jun 17-Jul 2: Confederations Cup
Jul 7-26: Gold Cup
Aug 28-Sep 5
Oct 2-10
Nov 6-14
Dec 6-16: Club World Cup

The Gold Cup is a giant black hole there (that month is probably a write-off, just like during the WC). If you were to shove the league schedule up two months it looks like the August break (and possibly October) would interfere with the playoffs. Otherwise, looks like the same amount of breaks as before.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Watch out Portland. We can pay way more than you and our people like Porter.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

binge crotching posted:

Sigi will join Bruce on the national team and then we win the World Cup after a miraculous turnaround by two MLS coaches and the world will finally recognize that MLS is the greatest league.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Your Boy Fancy posted:

IT WENT WELL THE LAST TIME YOU POACHED OUR COACH, AND THAT IS ABSOLUTELY THE LESSON TO BE LEARNED

Today I learned that THE Ray Hudson used to coach DC United.

Just IMAGINE the locker room speeches.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Dallan Invictus posted:

Today I learned that THE Ray Hudson used to coach DC United.

Just IMAGINE the locker room speeches.

Magisterial!!!!!!!

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

tk posted:

Sigi will join Bruce on the national team and then we win the World Cup after a miraculous turnaround by two MLS coaches and the world will finally recognize that MLS is the greatest league.

Something something Jozy and Bruce and Sigi at a buffett

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

Tigren posted:

gently caress you, don't say that poo poo!

Hey, Arena's back at the USMNT helm, so retro is in. :krad:

e: My guess is that Trump told Gulati he would deport him if he kept a Kraut as head of the team. Trump wants to make sure he gets a chance to watch World Cup 2018 with his good friend Vlad.

foobardog fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Nov 22, 2016

TheBoyBlunder
Jul 3, 2004

Anyone else have the munchies?
We wound up at Elysian Fields for anyone who wants to come by and disrespect some colors. We are in the side room with the fish.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

https://twitter.com/MLS/status/801297014122303489

Can't say I'm terribly surprised.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

TheBoyBlunder posted:

We wound up at Elysian Fields for anyone who wants to come by and disrespect some colors. We are in the side room with the fish.

poo poo, sorry to have missed you.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

take him. I want a coach that will take responsibility for poor performance rather than throwing every player under the bus and then backing over them again for good measure.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, Portland can keep Porter and his weird dead behind the eyes stare.

threeagainstfour fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Nov 23, 2016

Her Dryer
Oct 15, 2012
Celtic are apparently looking to sign Darlington Nagbe from the Timbers, as someone who doesn't watch MLS can anyone here say if he's any good?

Bio-Hazard
Mar 8, 2004
I HATE POLITICS IN SOCCER AS MUCH AS I LOVE RACISM IN SOCCER

Her Dryer posted:

Celtic are apparently looking to sign Darlington Nagbe from the Timbers, as someone who doesn't watch MLS can anyone here say if he's any good?

No he's terrible please don't take him. Please.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Her Dryer posted:

I'd hate to see him leave the Timbers, but I'd be happy if he was able to get some experience elsewhere, too. As long as it was outside of MLS, I mean.

The Light Eternal
Jun 12, 2006

A man who dares to waste one hour of time has not discovered the value of life.

Her Dryer posted:

You can't have him please go away

TheNakedJimbo
Nov 18, 2004

If you die first, I am definitely going to eat you. The question is, if I die first...what are YOU gonna do?
Speaking of great players randomly disappearing to European teams, are FC Dallas getting Fabian Castillo back or what? He's been on loan to Trabzonspor, who have the option to buy him for somewhere between $1m and $1.5m (depending on exchange rate, I guess), but he only played in 7 games for them and didn't even start all of those. I think there's a pretty decent chance he ends up coming back to Dallas, in which case the $3m loan is looking like a pretty amazing piece of business.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

TheNakedJimbo posted:

Speaking of great players randomly disappearing to European teams

Miazga's european adventure has been pretty sad so far.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Her Dryer posted:

he's great at making plays and being too nice. he's gonna get hacked down constantly, become homesick, and be stateside again within 2 seasons.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

the escape goat posted:

he's great at making plays and being too nice. he's gonna get hacked down constantly, become homesick, and be stateside again within 2 seasons.

He's the #1 most fouled player in MLS (or very close to it), and he's probably able to run circles around most international sides. The problem is all he does is run circles around guys mid-field and cause just enough chaos to make a few plays for other guys. He's got a solid shot but rarely uses it.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

He isn't good enough for the national team. That should tell you all you need to know

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Nostradingus posted:

He isn't good enough for the national team. That should tell you all you need to know

Yes he loving is. We just had a retard for a coach/technical director who is thankfully gone now.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Nostradingus posted:

He's a lot better than Zardes.

TheBoyBlunder
Jul 3, 2004

Was Taters posted:

poo poo, sorry to have missed you.

It's ok, there will be other games. And let me know if you're coming out for Sunday's game.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

TheBoyBlunder posted:

It's ok, there will be other games. And let me know if you're coming out for Sunday's game.

Family visiting or I totally would. I really wish the season + post season was about 4 weeks shorter. Thrusting into the holidays, height of NCAA football, etc., isn't great.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Nagbe is really good and will almost certainly get called in and used to greater effect by Bruce Arena.

Her Dryer
Oct 15, 2012
Thanks for the replies, we desperately need a quality CM so happy most folk here seem to rate him. Assuming we actually want to sign him of course, I'm basing this off of Nagbe being at Celtic Park for the Barca game and subsequent rumour spreading by Scottish media/twitter.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Her Dryer posted:

Thanks for the replies, we desperately need a quality CM so happy most folk here seem to rate him. Assuming we actually want to sign him of course, I'm basing this off of Nagbe being at Celtic Park for the Barca game and subsequent rumour spreading by Scottish media/twitter.

You do. The Timbers just started the negotiations by saying he wasn't for sale. Basically they want another $1m or so.

TheBoyBlunder
Jul 3, 2004

Was Taters posted:

Family visiting or I totally would. I really wish the season + post season was about 4 weeks shorter. Thrusting into the holidays, height of NCAA football, etc., isn't great.

Yeah this late playoff/season schedule sucks. A lot. And with 22+ teams eventually I doubt it'll get better.

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

TheBoyBlunder posted:

Yeah this late playoff/season schedule sucks. A lot. And with 22+ teams eventually I doubt it'll get better.

There's a literal chance, this year, that the MLS cup final could be held in Toronto outdoors in mid-December. Let's reflect on that.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Obviously we should move to August-May like the rest of the world :v:

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003
Only one game on tomorrow. The second isn't until Wednesday. What's that poo poo all about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Tigren posted:

Only one game on tomorrow. The second isn't until Wednesday. What's that poo poo all about?

Grey Cup in Toronto

• Locked thread