Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Dr. Fetus posted:

Hidden Abilities are the only ones that get passed down through breeding. Even then, it's only a chance. Regular abilities never get passed down, the ability the baby will have can't be influenced in any way.

The mother's ability has an 80% chance of being passed down. If a male has a hidden ability and is bred with a ditto, that HA has a 20% chance of being passed down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I'm pretty sure that the mother's ability will be passed down 60% of the time, and the remaining 40% of the time it's generated normally. That means 60% chance to inherit HAs, and 80% to inherit non-HAs,

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Oh whoops. Yeah, you're right. 80% chance for the mother to pass down the ability no matter what.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The thing I don't get is why after using an adrenaline orb, pokemon can still fail to have help show up. It just wastes your time and makes the whole process of chaining slower for no clear reason.

Overall it seems a lot less convenient than just using sweet scent to lure in hordes which you could nuke for easy EVs.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Does the synchronize thing work if the lead is dead? Ive been trying to catch UB3 for the longest time with a timid sychronize abra fainted at the leader with NO luck. I did get ONE timit one but it had 31 IVs in Attack Defense and HP with "decent" everything else.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Night Blade posted:

Does the synchronize thing work if the lead is dead? Ive been trying to catch UB3 for the longest time with a timid sychronize abra fainted at the leader with NO luck. I did get ONE timit one but it had 31 IVs in Attack Defense and HP with "decent" everything else.

It doesn't even have to be alive when the enemy spawns. It just has to be in your first slot when it does, alive or dead.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Flopsy posted:

Wow...so catching HA pokemon is even more horseshit than I thought. Found a female cubone with rock head got her with a false swipe and every time I tried to throw the ball she called for help. It took me twenty loving turns to throw a ball.
Put it to sleep? Was gonna say "paralyze it" but that requires specifically Stun Spore because it's ground type so TWave won't work. But you know what I mean.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

SloppyDoughnuts posted:

Is there really a point to having a move deleter if there aren't any hms?
If you're breeding two parents who have moves that can be passed down as egg moves, those will override the moves the baby would normally know when it hatches which can be bad in some cases. Also if there are more than four egg moves distributed between the two parents, that lets you curate them down to four.

You could also just override them with TMs, but why do things the easy way? :v:

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Aerdan posted:

REALLY BIG:

The hosed up thing is that Clydesdales aren't even close to the largest draft horses, you get poo poo like Shire horses that weigh more than a ton on average and there have been some over 3000 pounds and like 10 feet tall including the head at rest
These are horses that weigh more than cars

bernie killed rosa
Feb 23, 2003
Hi, so I think my game is bugged. I got my Abra and it evolved at level 16 but it didn't learn Confusion - it just learned Disable. I figured maybe this was something new in the games, so I leveled him to 18, and still have yet to receive any offensive moves for him? did I screw up by letting him evolve at 16? This was never a problem in previous games so I don't understand why he didn't learn Confusion when he evolved.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

Okay, how the gently caress do you breed Freeze-Dry onto Vulpix?

Freeze-dry is learned by only a handful of mons via level up and none of them can breed with Vulpix. The Smeargle in the game are too low level and get oneshot by my Freeze-dries, so they can't Sketch the move. I can't find any double battle trainers that can be repeatedly fought in order to Sketchh myself (meaning they're used up from my playthrough) and Smeargles won't keep any Sketched moves from battle spot.

How the gently caress is this possible?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

extra row of teeth posted:

Freeze-dry is learned by only a handful of mons via level up and none of them can breed with Vulpix. The Smeargle in the game are too low level and get oneshot by my Freeze-dries, so they can't Sketch the move. I can't find any double battle trainers that can be repeatedly fought in order to Sketchh myself (meaning they're used up from my playthrough) and Smeargles won't keep any Sketched moves from battle spot.

Catch a Smeargle, level it up just a bit, take a Glalie with Freeze Dry (learns it at 42, which is also its evolution level, and Move Deleter everything else) into a Ditto random encounter, let Ditto transform, switch Smeargle in and sketch. My Smeargle had to be about level 22 to survive one Freeze-Dry and it was slower than the Ditto so I had to switch in trash, let the trash die, then switch in Smeargle and Sketch to make sure it didn't die.

edit: alternatively, I have a bunch of Moonblast Freeze-Dry Snow Warning Vulpixes and at least two other posters here do as well, so, uh, that might be faster.

Marinol posted:

Hi, so I think my game is bugged. I got my Abra and it evolved at level 16 but it didn't learn Confusion - it just learned Disable. I figured maybe this was something new in the games, so I leveled him to 18, and still have yet to receive any offensive moves for him? did I screw up by letting him evolve at 16? This was never a problem in previous games so I don't understand why he didn't learn Confusion when he evolved.
Nope. Kadabra is bugged. And some other pokemon that learn moves at the level they level up. Sometimes you get Kinesis at 16 instead of Disable! But never actual Confusion. You get Psybeam at 21 but until then YOU GET NOTHING because Game Freak did something weird :downs:

DACK FAYDEN fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Nov 25, 2016

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

The berries that cause confusion if the Pokemon hates the taste now heal for 50% instead of 12.5%.

Though they still only activate at <=25% HP, so they don't necessarily outclass Sitrus Berries. Unless the Pokemon has Gluttony, in which case, go nuts.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

cheetah7071 posted:

Basically EVs are (at level 50) 60-something extra points you can distribute across your stats, max about 30 per stat so you pump two stats halfway instead of one the whole way. You gain them by fighting things; fast pokemon will tend to increase speed, etc. The difference between a good-nature pokemon with correctly distributed EVs and a random-nature no-EV pokemon is pretty huge. EV training your first set of three battle tree pokemon will take 1-3 hours or so, but you can buy items with BP that wildly speed it up.

What three pokemon would you suggest I use, then? I've got a bunch of random stuff I've used, but Mimikyu's my beautiful son and I'd like to use him if possible.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Just take your three strongest dudes, which probably includes your starter. Early battle tree fights are not gonna be that hard.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Put it to sleep? Was gonna say "paralyze it" but that requires specifically Stun Spore because it's ground type so TWave won't work. But you know what I mean.

Welp I didn't realize how broken this could get. Only paralyzing move I had was electric and no sleep moves in the party. Honestly this shouldn't be an issue. Easy fix? Have call for help fail after four turns. I can deal with that. Going through loving twenty before that happened is nuts.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Random freezing is a really great mechanic :shepicide:

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7vgc2017-482947453

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

What the gently caress

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.
Haha, if you tell Lillie that you don't like her costume change: http://i.imgur.com/GHfoCVu.png

She and Lusamine are easily my favorite characters in a Pokemon campaign by a huge margin.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Emalde posted:

Haha, if you tell Lillie that you don't like her costume change: http://i.imgur.com/GHfoCVu.png

She and Lusamine are easily my favorite characters in a Pokemon campaign by a huge margin.

Her original outfit is better. Lusamine was right.

I mean she could of at least given me her hat if she didn't want it.

I like the one time Lillie's face changes to this for a split second;

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Nov 25, 2016

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
I'm sure most people are past it by now, but I just did the Third Totem Trial and my god.

The Hiker! Is probably my new favorite thing in a Pokemon game. :allears:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Okay, that's just sick and wrong.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Daeren posted:

What three pokemon would you suggest I use, then? I've got a bunch of random stuff I've used, but Mimikyu's my beautiful son and I'd like to use him if possible.

Ultra Beasts can be a good bet. Mimikyu is quite strong, though the one you used in game will likely have a bad nature and randomly distributed EVs. Garchomp is about as strong as pokemon get before the Battle tree starts banning them.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

I can give you one tomorrow if you want.

How I did it was

1. Get a smeargle
2. Get a glalie then go to the move relearner to get freeze dry
3. Delete all of glalie's moves except for freeze dry
4. Get a shitmon out of my PC
5. Find a ditto
6. Send glalie out against the ditto then switch to the shitmon to get owned and give me a free switch in
7. Have Smeargle tank the freeze dry with focus sash then trace
8. Breed with ditto

All things considered it isn't hard to do but yeah it's definitely an unorthodox way to get an egg move.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

ROFL Octopus posted:

I can give you one tomorrow if you want.

How I did it was

1. Get a smeargle
2. Get a glalie then go to the move relearner to get freeze dry
3. Delete all of glalie's moves except for freeze dry
4. Get a shitmon out of my PC
5. Find a ditto
6. Send glalie out against the ditto then switch to the shitmon to get owned and give me a free switch in
7. Have Smeargle tank the freeze dry with focus sash then trace
8. Breed with ditto

All things considered it isn't hard to do but yeah it's definitely an unorthodox way to get an egg move.

Note that in doing this, you will lose your focus sash forever. Probably better to just level the Smeargle up

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

cheetah7071 posted:

Note that in doing this, you will lose your focus sash forever. Probably better to just level the Smeargle up

I'll just buy another at the battle tree if I feel like it. Fwiw, you can steal up to four sashes from the trainer that gives you the sash, though you do need to know this ahead of time.

Plus I wanted that Vulpix now :mad:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

ROFL Octopus posted:

I'll just buy another at the battle tree if I feel like it. Fwiw, you can steal up to four sashes from the trainer that gives you the sash, though you do need to know this ahead of time.

Plus I wanted that Vulpix now :mad:

Thief doesn't steal items permanently in trainer battles.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Dr. Fetus posted:

Thief doesn't steal items permanently in trainer battles.

drat, they changed that all the way back in gen v huh? Regardless yeah I just didn't mind the loss of sash.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

Thanks all, but I found a way:

1) buy Adrenaline orbs (only 300 bucks a piece)
2) fight a smeargle with my chosen Pokémon (it couldn't learn false swipe in this case)
3) spam adrenaline orbs. The first one uses Smeargles sketch turn up and forces it to struggle while subsequent ones make it more likely it'll call for help as it whittles down its own hp
4) when smeargle #2 arrives, kill the original smeargle with the move you want to use. The next turn, Smeargle 2 will sketch it.
5) catch the Smeargle, use it to breed, and hate yourself for bothering with breed chains

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
When the game gave me a red card on the first island I assumed they had changed the way they worked and that the item was no longer consumed on use, so you could actually use them ingame rather than just online.

Nope! :saddowns:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I am about to try to bootstrap myself out of BP hell with the following team:

Pheromosa@Focus Sash
Nihilego@Life Orb
Garchomp@Dragonium Z

Wish me luck with doing well enough to buy actually good items for these dudettes

e: mega-Nihilego should exist and it should have its tentacles done in a ponytail

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Nov 25, 2016

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Finally got a timid Electroman with good IVs and nature, even though I'll likely never use him.

3 soft reset UB sessions down. TWO TO GO!

:suicide:

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

cheetah7071 posted:

I am about to try to bootstrap myself out of BP hell with the following team:

Pheromosa@Focus Sash
Nihilego@Life Orb
Garchomp@Dragonium Z

Wish me luck with doing well enough to buy actually good items for these dudettes

e: mega-Nihilego should exist and it should have its tentacles done in a ponytail

Good luck, I'm busy getting owned by the battle royal and occasionally winning through a fluke.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

When the game gave me a red card on the first island I assumed they had changed the way they worked and that the item was no longer consumed on use, so you could actually use them ingame rather than just online.

Nope! :saddowns:

Why the gently caress don't these items work once per battle like Mimikyu's ability instead of being consumable? :psyboom:

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?

I've barely played any of the series since RBY, so what's the benefit of this? I think I get EV training now, I don't follow all the breeding meta at all but I'd like to know more.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

The Shortest Path posted:

Why the gently caress don't these items work once per battle like Mimikyu's ability instead of being consumable? :psyboom:

gamefreak ALREADY got rid of HMs and now you want them to do ANOTHER thing??!??! TWO improvements in ONE game? I don't think so, buddy!

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Captain_Person posted:

I've barely played any of the series since RBY, so what's the benefit of this? I think I get EV training now, I don't follow all the breeding meta at all but I'd like to know more.

Basically breeding lets you get moves that a pokemon otherwise couldn't learn, and oftentimes this is how you get optimal movesets. Notice here: http://serebii.net/pokedex-sm/037.shtml

Vulpix has a set of moves it can learn through leveling up, a set through TMs, and a third set called egg moves, which are moves passed down through another species.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Just noticed that you can actually see the egg-giving lady fold her arms while you're on the Egg Hatch Corral, meaning you know exactly when to pick up a new egg. I love this game. :3:

That's great! Very helpful.

Regarding Zygarde, I'm guessing this system means I can make the crappy forms, disassemble it, and make the full one later? Do they each get their own pokedex spot, I guess I'll need 3 for a living version of it?

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?

ROFL Octopus posted:

Basically breeding lets you get moves that a pokemon otherwise couldn't learn, and oftentimes this is how you get optimal movesets. Notice here: http://serebii.net/pokedex-sm/037.shtml

Vulpix has a set of moves it can learn through leveling up, a set through TMs, and a third set called egg moves, which are moves passed down through another species.

Cool, thanks! I might look into breeding more when I beat the game, but right now I'm having a blast without having to get too involved in everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Prankster: Status category moves have their Speed Priority increased by 1. Moves increased by this that are used on Dark-type opponents will fail.

Prankster nerf?