Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Whew lots of responses. I'm maxing out Honest Steel as soon as possible, but I only have one lord above level 10 right now.

Krazyface posted:

What are you fighting?

I'm gearing up for a big push against the Greenskins, they've managed to take all of the Badlands and Karaz-a-Karak, but I have a full alliance of Dwarfs coming to help back me up. It's about Turn 50 though, I've allied or confederated the entire Empire save Nordland and the southern Ost-whatever. I did start pressing into Blood River Valley with Gelt but he got surrounded and slapped down by Grimgor pretty quickly. Plus now I've got the Norse acting out and one tribe has made it all the way down to Talabheim. I have a small stack of RoR to intercept, and I've got a fuzzy 50/50 on the autoresolve.

Eela6 posted:

You get the enemy's frontline to break in 50s. If you can use cavalry, cleverly positioned infantry, or muskets / militia to flank or surround a weak edge of the enemy's line, you can get that to start Retreating /crumbling. Then you can start moving the guys who were in the front edge, to get local superiority at what is now the new edge, etc... The goal is to roll up the whole enemy line. Chain-charging heavy Calvary is the best for this and imo the best thing the empire has going for them. Light ranged cavalry can help shoot from behind or the side and then chase pesky retreating enemies so they don't come back.

Also, try keeping a unit or two in reserve to shore up trouble spots. Dudes like halberds who don't have Shields are great for this, since they have specialized targets and don't absorb missile fire as well.

Remember that as empire, you have access to Captains and Warrior Priests, both excellent frontline warriors who can shore up your leadership. They also are very effective at ganging up on and quickly dispatching enemy lords.

Yeah I think this is my main problem. I've been confederating pretty fast and loosely to keep the elector counts from beating each other up, and I managed to kick Mannfred's teeth in by turn 30ish. But my income took a hit and I'm only now starting to access my shock cavalry and warrior priests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
What I would like to see are non-wall fortifications like rome 2 minor settlements where you get a handful of towers, some chokepoints and maybe a few ramparts overlooking them. Either a field or a full wall all the time gets a bit boring.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Deified Data posted:

:siren:Durthu's army suffer no attrition:siren:

I can definitely see people having fun with this.

The ents are going to war

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

Gejnor posted:

No but losing your Amber might be critical, which is the point im making there. Oh and you know, their main settlement.. POOF 10 slots gone in one stroke and theres nothing you can do about it because you may not even be near your capital.

The developer on the stream said 'They don't need walls, they use the forest for protection' and '...it's a crazy, nasty place to go into'

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

PST posted:

The developer on the stream said 'They don't need walls, they use the forest for protection' and '...it's a crazy, nasty place to go into'

I think he was more refering to the battlemap when he said that, and thats fine, i just dont love the idea of the AI being able basically go on a R-R-RAMPAGE KILLING SPREE with my unwalled by default settlements on the campaign map.

I'd love to be proven wrong though!

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

I'm sure the devs have considered it. Everything apart from Chaos they've nailed so far so no reason it would be different.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Asehujiko posted:

What I would like to see are non-wall fortifications like rome 2 minor settlements where you get a handful of towers, some chokepoints and maybe a few ramparts overlooking them. Either a field or a full wall all the time gets a bit boring.
Yeah, I wouldn't mind seeing a non-walled but slightly more defensible outpost structure, either for elves for for t1 garrison buildings, or both. The main benefit from walls is honestly the delay that you get for forcing them to build siege gear, the walls are just a nice defensive bonus.

Corrode posted:

I'm sure the devs have considered it. Everything apart from Chaos they've nailed so far so no reason it would be different.
Maybe. They don't seem to have done much to stop the incredibly annoying keepaway armies for other races besides "build walls" and "agent spam." Hopefully they get a good amount of Waywatchers, at least. Durthu also seems custom-made for long walks on the Norscan beach, so that could help as well. I'm willing to see what they do.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
Vlad question. He has the skill that gives experience to all troops faction wide. Does this include garrison troops?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Nash posted:

Vlad question. He has the skill that gives experience to all troops faction wide. Does this include garrison troops?
Yes :getin:

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

In terms of YTers who commentate over multi battles I follow HeirofCarthage but are there any others that are decent? Some earlier chatter in the thread seemed aimed at him, is he not considered competent or something?

brocretin
Nov 15, 2012

yo yo yo i loves virgins

KazigluBey posted:

In terms of YTers who commentate over multi battles I follow HeirofCarthage but are there any others that are decent? Some earlier chatter in the thread seemed aimed at him, is he not considered competent or something?

He's well-meaning and enthusiastic but not especially great at the game. If you want an experienced Youtuber to watch, check out Turin.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

KazigluBey posted:

Like I said earlier, I'm a fan of Turin. No gimmicks, no ego, he just puts out a match a day, sometimes two, and as far as I can tell he's a pretty good player.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition

Holy crap. That's insane. But awesome.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

Nash posted:

Holy crap. That's insane. But awesome.

It is! And then the fact that he gets vanguard for every single troop in his army..

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Gejnor posted:

I think he was more refering to the battlemap when he said that, and thats fine, i just dont love the idea of the AI being able basically go on a R-R-RAMPAGE KILLING SPREE with my unwalled by default settlements on the campaign map.

I'd love to be proven wrong though!

I'd be okay with it if it was just for those "outposts" that the Wood Elves get when conquering regions outside of their magical LSD nightmare forest. They can conquer any region, but they are going to have a hard time defendig them.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
Im excited for WE but im a little worried. Playing battles in forests is the second worst experience in the game...the first being snow maps because you can't see a goddamn thing

WE will be constantly in forests :/

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Randarkman posted:

I'd be okay with it if it was just for those "outposts" that the Wood Elves get when conquering regions outside of their magical LSD nightmare forest. They can conquer any region, but they are going to have a hard time defendig them.

It would be really boring if outposts were easy to defend and amber was effectively permanent once earned.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

sassassin posted:

It would be really boring if outposts were easy to defend and amber was effectively permanent once earned.

And it would be a pain in the rear end if your rate of progress is constantly hampered by even small enemy stacks all emerging from the figurative woodwork.

I wouldn't mind personally if the "wall" thing is a tech or building upgrade (codename: Brambles?) from one of the main settlements that transfers overs to all your outposts that comes in mid to even lategame, as long as its there in some form.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

Ammanas posted:

Im excited for WE but im a little worried. Playing battles in forests is the second worst experience in the game...the first being snow maps because you can't see a goddamn thing

WE will be constantly in forests :/

There are a few beast path maps which are "in" the forest, as in, if you pan the camera around the landscape there are titanic trees all around you, but not that many regular-sized trees.

It depends on your interpretation of what kind of forest gives WE bonuses: the map type or the type of terrain feature within a map.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
http://wiki.totalwar.com/w/In_Search_Of_Amber

Amber article is up, and also covers the Wood Elf technology system.

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

Vlex posted:

There are a few beast path maps which are "in" the forest, as in, if you pan the camera around the landscape there are titanic trees all around you, but not that many regular-sized trees.

It depends on your interpretation of what kind of forest gives WE bonuses: the map type or the type of terrain feature within a map.

I hope it's the beast path map, the mostly-forest maps are worse than clicking automatch, due to how much more the ai can abuse the trees than you can.

when micromanagement becomes babysitting individual units into the middle of enemy units before abandoning them and hoping they start meleeing, and is less effective than selecting all your units and right-clicking the far side of the map, you know something is hosed up :downsbravo:

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Forests are a total pain in the arse, but just in case anyone missed it, they can be made somewhat less so by selecting "hide foliage" option from the menu on the right when you hold the space bar down. The leaves of closer (but sadly not all) trees will be hidden when holding the space bar.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Wafflecopper posted:

Forests are a total pain in the arse, but just in case anyone missed it, they can be made somewhat less so by selecting "hide foliage" option from the menu on the right when you hold the space bar down. The leaves of closer (but sadly not all) trees will be hidden when holding the space bar.

Even better is to use the toggle option right next to that so it hides trees all the time, even without holding down spacebar.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe
Apparently theres even more FLC coming with the Wood Elf DLC, probably Life/Shadow Wizards for the Empire.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Gejnor posted:

Apparently theres even more FLC coming with the Wood Elf DLC, probably Life/Shadow Wizards for the Empire.
The VC are getting Shadow-casting heroes, too, iirc. Probably pick between Death and Shadow Vampires.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

Ravenfood posted:

The VC are getting Shadow-casting heroes, too, iirc. Probably pick between Death and Shadow Vampires.

Yeah, according to 1d4 its quite a list of faction that uses Shadow at the very least too!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKhOWoYmgOA
Wood Elf Walkthrough video!!

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
Can't wait for this to be released. I really like the flexibility in the tech tree giving different kinds of diplomatic bonuses, letting you decide on your capricious elf whims who you'll buddy up with and who you'll destroy.

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

Gejnor posted:

Yeah, according to 1d4 its quite a list of faction that uses Shadow at the very least too!

quote:

Aggressor: +1 public order for every war you are in with a neighbouring faction

they have learned from huns would declare war on the north african tribes :)

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Captain Beans posted:

Even better is to use the toggle option right next to that so it hides trees all the time, even without holding down spacebar.

:aaa: how did i miss that? Thanks

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013
So, I was reading the Amber article and noticed something.

madmac posted:

http://wiki.totalwar.com/w/In_Search_Of_Amber

Amber article is up, and also covers the Wood Elf technology system.

Note this part:

quote:

This brings a massive diplomacy buff with Tilea, Estalia, the Border Princes and the Norscan tribes,
Diplomacy buff with the Norscan tribes? Does that mean the elves could ally with them? Because that seems as weird as it is potentially hilarious in practice. Imagine playing as the empire and discovering the wood elves had more or less sided with Chaos. That would give you a great reason to go burn down their forests for being so unimaginably dumb.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Gejnor posted:

Definitely interested by the new "Temples" portion of the building browser, but holy cow each of the Wood Elf settlements gets ten building slots?! Conquer all of Athel Loren and you get a whopping 40 slots to play with, that could all be defended by a single army. It sounds like the Wood Elves are really able to go tall AND wide, depending on how you choose to handle diplomacy.

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

How does quick battle determine unit size? Does it just default to large or does it depend on what the players have selected? It's not something I've ever noticed or thought about while watching videos because I only just played my first online battle today.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Fresh Shesh Besh posted:

How does quick battle determine unit size? Does it just default to large or does it depend on what the players have selected? It's not something I've ever noticed or thought about while watching videos because I only just played my first online battle today.

I think every size quick match now uses large. It used to decrease the unit size the larger the game (2v2, 3v3, 4v4) but they patched that out.

Custom battles use the hosts unit size settings.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

Triskelli posted:

Definitely interested by the new "Temples" portion of the building browser, but holy cow each of the Wood Elf settlements gets ten building slots?! Conquer all of Athel Loren and you get a whopping 40 slots to play with, that could all be defended by a single army. It sounds like the Wood Elves are really able to go tall AND wide, depending on how you choose to handle diplomacy.

Getting a 10-slot province would require a lot of Amber though, no? So no turtling, you have to go out into the world and conquer/make nice.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Vlex posted:

Getting a 10-slot province would require a lot of Amber though, no? So no turtling, you have to go out into the world and conquer/make nice.

Which is a brilliant system. You have to conquer the various lands/forests of the world, or ally with people who hold them. But then you don't build fortresses all across the land, you're limited in what you can build out in the world, no walls, etc. But then as you conquer more forests, your home elf lands grow more and more resplendent. But if you only turtle up, you can't afford to upgrade much at all because of lack of amber, and are stuck with small holdings. And since amber is a constant balance, if you tech up a ton you can't just call yourself "done" and retreat; that becomes a land-debt that you have to maintain.

It feels extremely "Elf", like basically forcing you to play Tolkein Elf style.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
Anybody else excited to finally get some wood?

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Just like was done in the video, Tilea is a really attractive place to wipe out as the WE, given they have very few people bordering them. So make allies of some Bretonnian faction or two, and you really only have a single path to guard for a bunch of provinces.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
The northern dwarves mod really hammers home how different the game feels with more starting locations. The sooner they let us be any of the human or dwarf civilizations the better. Estalia/Border Princes/Talia are always just 'regions I have to slog through to go (north|south)'

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
I'mma finish my eye for an eye campaign and then nothing else until elfs. Because they look baller and I can't wait to kick the poo poo out of dudes with archers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

fnordcircle posted:

The northern dwarves mod really hammers home how different the game feels with more starting locations. The sooner they let us be any of the human or dwarf civilizations the better. Estalia/Border Princes/Talia are always just 'regions I have to slog through to go (north|south)'

I'd love to start in Ostermark or Kislev just because they always get wiped out early and I never really play in those areas until they're a burned out husk.

• Locked thread