Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Prankster, and priority moves in general, got hit hard in this gen. Tapu Lele and its psychic terrain has screwed up so many fights for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Wrong, but not bad, nature. Wrong ability, but fixable with a capsule. And, not my preferred gender...

But my first shiny, ever! In a beast ball!

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009
Am I understanding it correctly that single-use hold items like berries or White Herb will actually be destroyed after use even in Battle Tree? I wanted to try out some Minior Shell Smash shenanigans, but that's going to make that impossible. :(

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Haha wanna know something really funny. I got my own Riolu and gave it a Soothe Bell. Spent like 30 minutes spinning the stick in the egg hatching place to raise it's enjoyment and then put it in the front of my party for fights so it can get used in em.

It's now level 60 and still not evolving. Haha this is such a funny video game.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Haha wanna know something really funny. I got my own Riolu and gave it a Soothe Bell. Spent like 30 minutes spinning the stick in the egg hatching place to raise it's enjoyment and then put it in the front of my party for fights so it can get used in em.

Riolu only evolves in daytime, maybe that's why?

Kithkar
Apr 23, 2011

I'm gonna RENOVATE your ass!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Is it daytime in your game? Riolu needs high happiness and sunlight apparently for some reason to become a Lucario

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Just found Wimpods and was so loving happy to finally have a fast but defensively weak Pokemon to use. Then I checked what it evolved into :cripes:

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

How the hell do I evolve Pichu? I maxed his happiness and then leveled him from 24 -> 25 and not poo poo happened. Is Serbii wrong?

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

Arrgytehpirate posted:

How the hell do I evolve Pichu? I maxed his happiness and then leveled him from 24 -> 25 and not poo poo happened. Is Serbii wrong?

Did you level the affection in poke refresh? Because that has nothing to do with the actual hidden friendship stat. Games funny like that.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Vegetable posted:

Just found Wimpods and was so loving happy to finally have a fast but defensively weak Pokemon to use. Then I checked what it evolved into :cripes:

Use Ribombee.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

Vegetable posted:

Get yourself a Cutiefly! You can find them as early as Route 2, apparently. You could also pick up a Growlithe there too.

CherryCat
Feb 21, 2011

That's a strawberry.

College Slice
I'm fed up with these arseholes calling for help.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Did you level the affection in poke refresh? Because that has nothing to do with the actual hidden friendship stat. Games funny like that.

How do I raise that?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Just caught an Oranguru. When they were registering its Pokedex entry, there was a blank slot next to it, like where evolved forms usually go. But Oranguru doesn't evolve... right?

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Vegetable posted:

Just caught an Oranguru. When they were registering its Pokedex entry, there was a blank slot next to it, like where evolved forms usually go. But Oranguru doesn't evolve... right?

Passimian, the Sun exclusive is in the same group as Oranguru. Similar to how Tauros and Miltank are in the same group.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Aaaah! After the ghost trial, you can see Mimikyu behind the fence after Acerola said she got a chill. This game is so cute

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
mimikyu's anime appearances so far are primarily it beating the poo poo out of pikachu, which is an easy a+ in my book

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

Arrgytehpirate posted:

How do I raise that?

Friendship is a hidden stat that's raised with steps and battling. You can check how friendly your pokemon is with an NPC in the main town on the second island I believe? You can also get a massage once a day next to him that raises friendship. Give pichu the soothe bell to hold as well to boost friendship.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

So. Mega Stones for anything not in the Alola Dex are unavailable in Sun and Moon. Unless Bank gives the necessary items to you for free once it updates the following are the Pokemon you will be unable to Mega in Gen 7:

Abomasnow, Aggron, Altaria, Ampharos, Audino, Banette, Beedrill, Blaziken, Camerupt, Diancia, Gallade, Gardevoir, Heracross, Houndoom, Latias, Latios, Lopunny, Manectric, Mawile, Medicham, Mewtwo, Pidgeot, Sceptile, Steelix, Swampert and Tyranitar.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Where's the path to Kala'e Bay on the first island? I'm right before the Elite Four and going back to get TMs with Strength and Sharpedo and can't figure out how to get there.

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Where's the path to Kala'e Bay on the first island? I'm right before the Elite Four and going back to get TMs with Strength and Sharpedo and can't figure out how to get there.

Go to the Meadow, find a hidden hole to get to the cave and go through the cave. Took me a while too.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Snow Warning Ninetails running Aurora Veil is incredible--managed to bring my Rating back up to 1500 in doubles this morning by going on a huge streak leading A.Ninetails and A.Sandslash

Slush Rush Sandslash with speed EVs has outsped everything I've seen this morning and both ate STAB fire moves without being in too much trouble

Thinking of running Soak Pyukumuku alonside A.Ninetails and freeze-drying everyone

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
Don't use Battle Tree to get out of BP hell. It's bad and you'll either die or waste your time doing inefficient things.

Instead, use Battle Royale. I got to Master pretty easily with my poo poo IV, poo poo nature, random EV in-game pokemon and once you're there you get 5BP if you win and I think either 3 or 4BP if you lose. Just build a team of 3 self-destruct pokemon.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

So I guess if I wanted a catcher Smeargle it would have:
False Swipe
Thunder Wave
Soak
<move to detect the ability for SOS battles>

There are like several for the latter, right? Skill Swap and...?

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Mierenneuker posted:

False Swipe
Thunder Wave
Soak

Entrainment

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Spore would probably be better than Thunder Wave, because sleep gives a better multiplier for catch rate.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

tyblazitar posted:

Go to the Meadow, find a hidden hole to get to the cave and go through the cave. Took me a while too.
Wow, I never would have thought of going into a hole on the west side of an area to get to an area in the east. Thank you so much, seriously, that would have taken me forever to find that little tiny hole at random.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

tyblazitar posted:

Am I understanding it correctly that single-use hold items like berries or White Herb will actually be destroyed after use even in Battle Tree? I wanted to try out some Minior Shell Smash shenanigans, but that's going to make that impossible. :(

It's never worked like that before. They will be destroyed if you use them in the main quest but battle facilities have always been like online battling.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Senerio posted:

Spore would probably be better than Thunder Wave, because sleep gives a better multiplier for catch rate.

But you have to keep reapplying it, and that's more annoying when you can just paralyze it and spam poke balls. Plus not sure if pokemon can call for help the turn they wake up?

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

Hammerite posted:

It's never worked like that before. They will be destroyed if you use them in the main quest but battle facilities have always been like online battling.

Ah, that's reassuring. I'll probably test with a berry or something to make sure, but that's great if it means my Shell Smash dream is still alive. Also that means I'll need to get a HA (Damp) Paras in order to chain for a shiny Minior, that should keep me busy for a while.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

sleep and freeze have a higher multiplier than para and burn

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Senerio posted:

the point of paralyzing over sleeping is that it never wears off

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Hi sorry but didn't see this in the OP or the second post, but how is performance for this on a 3DS vs N3DS? I'm debating waiting until Christmas to upgrade.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

^^^ It's laggy dogshit on the old 3DS, upgrade asap.

Mierenneuker posted:

False Swipe
Thunder Wave
Soak

This set has no way to kill the SOS pokemon that have the wrong ability, or the pokemon that did the calling.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
what's the point of soak?

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Change ghosts to water so they can be hit.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Is there a way to get money once you're out of trainers that ISN'T grinding the Elite 4? I want to buy all the TMs. And fancy pants.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

blizzardvizard posted:

Riolu only evolves in daytime, maybe that's why?

That might be it, it was around 6AM when I made the post and I had went through the portal, saved and quit (to make it daytime as I'm moon) and apparently saving and quitting makes you go back to your original time or something because it's still night out

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Tired Moritz posted:

what's the point of soak?

make everyone hittable (ghosts) and at least regular effectiveness for false swipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

The Shortest Path posted:

^^^ It's laggy dogshit on the old 3DS, upgrade asap.

lol, it's poo poo on the new 3ds too, let's not pretend upgrading is going to fix anything.