Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

manchego posted:

is poo poo able to get through via the mail?

last few times we sent packages (stuff for cousin's baby, nothing super exciting) packages got opened and stuff stolen out of it.

They can't open ALL packages to steal poo poo but yeah they do open packages and steal or break stuff out of malice. They also routinely steal stuff out of people's bags at the airport.

My dad sends me stuff using a door-to-door service which is 100% secure because they pay off the guards lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
Side note; the postal system in Eastern Europe runs the same way. Whenever we send hand me downs to my cousins or blankets and poo poo we literally use a Ukrainian mob front parcel service. They cost a lot but their warehouses are guarded by only the finest of paid killers.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Gaj posted:

Side note; the postal system in Eastern Europe runs the same way. Whenever we send hand me downs to my cousins or blankets and poo poo we literally use a Ukrainian mob front parcel service. They cost a lot but their warehouses are guarded by only the finest of paid killers.

The mail always gets through or else.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I pay quite a bit for this one yeah, and it's about a month before we can even start wondering when will it arrive, but it has done so twice for me.

The guy mentioned that they used barcodes to track where the package goes, no address or personal data, so only the guys here and the person taking the package to my mom's door can possibly know who is it too. Of course, they are Venezuelans so that can just be habladera e paja (bullshit).

Still, it gets there.

Chuck Boone
Feb 12, 2009

El Turpial
A couple of news from the past few days:
  • Speaking of mailing relief to Venezuela, the national customs agency declared 600 boxes containing medicine and medical material to have been "legally abandoned" earlier this week by the group that sent them to the country because they didn't fill out all their paperwork properly. An NGO was supposed to receive the medicine and distribute it with the help of the Catholic Church in Venezuela, but the boxes have instead been confiscated by the government.

• The National Assembly created a special commission on Tuesday to investigate drug trafficking connections to Maduro and Cilia Flores stemming from the Flores case. During the trial, the jury heard audio recordings in which Francisco (one of the accused) bragged about using the presidential hangar/runway at the Simon Bolivar International Airport to fly drugs out of Venezuela. The move by the National Assembly apparently upset the PSUV, because they didn't show up to two dialogue-related meetings that were scheduled for Tuesday night. The MUD came out saying that the reason for the no-show was that the PSUV was angry over the opposition calling attention to the Flores case.

• Reuters published an article yesterday in which it cites oil worker union sources with access to internal PDVSA documents as saying that the country is currently only producing oil at 1/3 of its capacity. The reason for the anemic figures is the result of years of mismanagement, corruption and neglect, but PDVSA says it's all due to sabotage from the usual suspects.

• Maduro's birthday was on Wednesday. He is now 54 years old. If you hate yourself and want to prove it, watch this 24 minute video of his birthday party at the Miraflores Palace: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HetWEe5xSV4

And here's a picture of a (thin-looking) dangerous criminal who was thankfully removed from the crime-ridden streets by the brave public order forces of the revolution in Valencia, Carabobo state for stealing two bag of chips on Monday:

Hugoon Chavez posted:

My mom works near the andres Bello and lives near pdvsa la campiña. If any of you caraqueños need an over the counter stuff I could try and get it for you (can't promise it, but I'll try) and you pick them out from my mom's in a month or so. Please don't kidnap her though.
Try to convince her to get one of these and she'll be set. For those times when you've gone door shopping and thought to yourself, "I like the colour, but how would it hold up against an AK?":

(From a billboard in Caracas. Puertas blindadas means "armoured doors")

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

As always, the only thing that can outdo satire is real life.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Welp I made the mistake of posting this to reddit and everyone immediately called him a piece of poo poo shoplifter who deserved it :(

Labradoodle
Nov 24, 2011

Crax daubentoni
That one looks fairly normal, to be honest. This is my personal favorite, from a guy that stole a block of cheese.

You can just tell the guy on the left has been practicing the whole letting-my-sunglasses-hang look for a while.

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

Keep your gun trained at the cheese block, officer.

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

I'm the "Gun-free zone" sign.

Chuck Boone
Feb 12, 2009

El Turpial

Labradoodle posted:

That one looks fairly normal, to be honest. This is my personal favorite, from a guy that stole a block of cheese.

You can just tell the guy on the left has been practicing the whole letting-my-sunglasses-hang look for a while.

Hell, even the cops look ashamed in that one.

Bro Dad posted:

Welp I made the mistake of posting this to reddit and everyone immediately called him a piece of poo poo shoplifter who deserved it :(
:sigh: Was this on a neo-feudalist subreddit? I wouldn't think that criminalizing the poor and hungry (specially in a self-professed revolutionary country!) would be a very popular idea in a lot of places.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Chuck Boone posted:

:sigh: Was this on a neo-feudalist subreddit? I wouldn't think that criminalizing the poor and hungry (specially in a self-professed revolutionary country!) would be a very popular idea in a lot of places.
/r pics actually, but then again i dont know the distinction between feudalism and libertarianism :shrug:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Bro Dad posted:

/r pics actually, but then again i dont know the distinction between feudalism and libertarianism :shrug:

The distinction is that feudalism can work in certain conditions.
:v:

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

Bro Dad posted:

Chavismo can not fail, only you can fail Chavismo, and he failed Chavismo.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Please 2016 give Maduro a heart attack, preferably on live TV in his salsa show.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
so stupid question, but with trump in power, will that change anything with how the US deals with the goings on in Venezuela? like do you think he will try to coup the PSVU and Maduro? I doubt he even knows it exists but i am sure he hawk advisers may look into it.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Dapper_Swindler posted:

so stupid question, but with trump in power, will that change anything with how the US deals with the goings on in Venezuela? like do you think he will try to coup the PSVU and Maduro? I doubt he even knows it exists but i am sure he hawk advisers may look into it.

no he knows about venezuela from when he did beauty contests

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Maybe Putin will trade away Venezuela in exchange for the Baltics.

fnox
May 19, 2013

Sinteres posted:

Maybe Putin will trade away Venezuela in exchange for the Baltics.

Trade to who? China owns Venezuela, not the US, and China's already holding the country in very low regard.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Trump's not really a neocon, so I doubt invading Venezuela is on his list. He's more likely to eminent domain away everyone living in the Dakotas and frack their land for oil, and the US is too far from Venezuela for him to worry about the impending refugee crisis. NYTimes had a piece about that yesterday, speaking of: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/25/world/americas/hungry-venezuelans-flee-in-boats-to-escape-economic-collapse.html

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
Trump will continue the US's current policy of ignoring Venezuela entirely.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Today I went to a supermarket that has everything imported from Colombia, they had three different brands of everything but of course all really expensive, I bought a few different brands of pasta to try them out, the rice looks super poo poo but what the hell it's not like you can find another brand anywhere else. You could buy as much as you wanted too, no limits like those in place for price regulated foods.

Place is probably owned by Arias Cardenas or some other military guy.

Labradoodle
Nov 24, 2011

Crax daubentoni

El Hefe posted:

Today I went to a supermarket that has everything imported from Colombia, they had three different brands of everything but of course all really expensive, I bought a few different brands of pasta to try them out, the rice looks super poo poo but what the hell it's not like you can find another brand anywhere else. You could buy as much as you wanted too, no limits like those in place for price regulated foods.

Place is probably owned by Arias Cardenas or some other military guy.

There are a bunch of those places in Caracas – it feels like stepping into a different country. The worst of all is this place called Cine Citta which is one of those decadent restaurants that serves every cuisine and has a supermarket attached to it. I took a look inside and Jesus, the prices. Everything was imported, they even had a medicine cabinet and boxes of toilet paper. I saw a 5kg sack of rice going for over 70k, and that was like two months ago. I shudder to think about what the prices must be like now.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/

Labradoodle posted:

There are a bunch of those places in Caracas – it feels like stepping into a different country. The worst of all is this place called Cine Citta which is one of those decadent restaurants that serves every cuisine and has a supermarket attached to it. I took a look inside and Jesus, the prices. Everything was imported, they even had a medicine cabinet and boxes of toilet paper. I saw a 5kg sack of rice going for over 70k, and that was like two months ago. I shudder to think about what the prices must be like now.

70000Bs for 5kg of rice is insane, I spent 59000Bs at this place and I bought a bunch of stuff including 10kg of pasta and 4 of rice, but quality might be a little dubious, I think they only import the cheapest products.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
brb fin to try to sneak into venezuela with enough bags of rice to ensure I can safely retire at 40
doesn't sound like I'll need thaaaaaaaaat many

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Punkin Spunkin posted:

brb fin to try to sneak into venezuela with enough bags of rice to ensure I can safely retire at 40
doesn't sound like I'll need thaaaaaaaaat many

LOL good luck converting your currency.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Also, getting murdered is the worst possible way to retire.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Dollar exchange rate went from around Bs. 1000 for $1 to where it is now at Bs 3500 for $1 in just a few months and its going up and up

RIP us

Next year people really won't have any money to buy food

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

El Hefe posted:

Dollar exchange rate went from around Bs. 1000 for $1 to where it is now at Bs 3500 for $1 in just a few months and its going up and up

RIP us

Next year people really won't have any money to buy food

At least you might be getting denominations of BsF 20'000 next month, by which time they'll still be worth a few bucks for a while. You'll be able to carry messenger bags full of cash to buy a week of groceries instead of rolling suitcases for a few months.

Actually, are they still going to bother printing those higher denomination banknotes? I see news from October saying it's going to happen in December, but I can only imagine that won't happen on time, since there's no update since then.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
This letter by Umberto Eco on fascism is so good.

http://www.nybooks.com/articles/1995/06/22/ur-fascism/

quote:

Ur-Fascism is based upon a selective populism, a qualitative populism, one might say. In a democracy, the citizens have individual rights, but the citizens in their entirety have a political impact only from a quantitative point of view—one follows the decisions of the majority. For Ur-Fascism, however, individuals as individuals have no rights, and the People is conceived as a quality, a monolithic entity expressing the Common Will. Since no large quantity of human beings can have a common will, the Leader pretends to be their interpreter. Having lost their power of delegation, citizens do not act; they are only called on to play the role of the People. Thus the People is only a theatrical fiction. To have a good instance of qualitative populism we no longer need the Piazza Venezia in Rome or the Nuremberg Stadium. There is in our future a TV or Internet populism, in which the emotional response of a selected group of citizens can be presented and accepted as the Voice of the People.

Because of its qualitative populism Ur-Fascism must be against “rotten” parliamentary governments. One of the first sentences uttered by Mussolini in the Italian parliament was “I could have transformed this deaf and gloomy place into a bivouac for my maniples”—“maniples” being a subdivision of the traditional Roman legion. As a matter of fact, he immediately found better housing for his maniples, but a little later he liquidated the parliament. Wherever a politician casts doubt on the legitimacy of a parliament because it no longer represents the Voice of the People, we can smell Ur-Fascism.

Saladman posted:

At least you might be getting denominations of BsF 20'000 next month, by which time they'll still be worth a few bucks for a while. You'll be able to carry messenger bags full of cash to buy a week of groceries instead of rolling suitcases for a few months.

Actually, are they still going to bother printing those higher denomination banknotes? I see news from October saying it's going to happen in December, but I can only imagine that won't happen on time, since there's no update since then.

Nobody has actually seen these fabled new bills, banks aren't paying checks worth more than Bs.20000 (around $6) anyway.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
How do jobs pay people?

Labradoodle
Nov 24, 2011

Crax daubentoni

Baloogan posted:

How do jobs pay people?

Using bank transfers. For a while now, most people (including me) haven't been using cash unless strictly necessary. The only things I pay for in cash these days are cigarettes, buses, and cabs, and even the latter are switching to bank transfers when possible. At least in Caracas pretty much every business uses points of sale for anything, so we don't have to deal with carrying a ridiculous amount of bills.

The problem is that points of sale are hard to come by these days, and I'm guessing a large part of businesses beyond the capital don't have the option to get them at all. So yeah, those people are hosed. More so now, since the Bolivar has lost a staggering 45% (more or less) of its value within the past month (mostly during the last two weeks). At this point I shudder to think what prices are going to look like come January and how people are going to cope with that, even with the new bills. It's also worth noting this is the third or fourth time this year that there have been rumblings about larger bills. Even if it looks like this time's the charm, I'm not going to believe it until I have those fuckers in hand.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
In a few months those bills will be just as useless. I'm surprised Maduro hasn't done a repeat of Chavez' brilliant strategy and dropped a 0 off of the currency then claim inflation is a lie because Harina Pan is still 700 super fuerte Bolivares.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Labradoodle posted:

Using bank transfers. For a while now, most people (including me) haven't been using cash unless strictly necessary. The only things I pay for in cash these days are cigarettes, buses, and cabs, and even the latter are switching to bank transfers when possible. At least in Caracas pretty much every business uses points of sale for anything, so we don't have to deal with carrying a ridiculous amount of bills.

The problem is that points of sale are hard to come by these days, and I'm guessing a large part of businesses beyond the capital don't have the option to get them at all. So yeah, those people are hosed. More so now, since the Bolivar has lost a staggering 45% (more or less) of its value within the past month (mostly during the last two weeks). At this point I shudder to think what prices are going to look like come January and how people are going to cope with that, even with the new bills. It's also worth noting this is the third or fourth time this year that there have been rumblings about larger bills. Even if it looks like this time's the charm, I'm not going to believe it until I have those fuckers in hand.

Thanks for this post.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Businesses are also selling cash, yes that's right, you go in and ask how much they have then they swipe your debit card + 10% for them or whatever and hand you the cash.

Hilarious country

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

What has to happen for VZ to get better? Is it just a matter of it not getting worse? It's crazy to think that Venezuela, that was so happy and beautiful and rich, will end up like Democratic Republic of Congo or something. I mean Venezuela used to have so much, I remember in the 80's we used to eat smoked salmon and caviar on arepas, and not think anything of it; now what little family I have in the country is starving.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
How do salaries work in runaway inflation?

Chuck Boone
Feb 12, 2009

El Turpial

lemonslol posted:

What has to happen for VZ to get better? Is it just a matter of it not getting worse? It's crazy to think that Venezuela, that was so happy and beautiful and rich, will end up like Democratic Republic of Congo or something. I mean Venezuela used to have so much, I remember in the 80's we used to eat smoked salmon and caviar on arepas, and not think anything of it; now what little family I have in the country is starving.
Whatever the answer is, we're talking about a multi-generational recovery process. Venezuela was in dire straits by the time Chavez came in 1999, and the past 17 years have seen the country's collapse speeding up at an exponential rate. "Not getting worse" would certainly be a start, but any kin of substantive change would require a back-to-the-drawing-board approach on a national level. The harm that the PSUV has done to every fact of the country's social, economic and political life is almost too large to comprehend.

Baloogan posted:

How do salaries work in runaway inflation?
They don't.

The minimum monthly salary in Venezuela today is Bs. 27,092. At the current black market rate (the black market is the most accessible currency exchange system in the country), that works out to about $6.60 US per month.

The minimum monthly salary has been increased four times this year for a total increase of 120% since the January. However, given the fact that the inflation rate is expected to pass the 700% mark at by the end of the year and 1,660% next year, the constant increases to the salary are absurdly ineffective.

The government also offers a kind food tamp program called the cestaticket which is supposed to supplement the minimum monthly salary, and that is often boosted as well to the same results.

We're entering the realm of hyperinflation. The Bolivar is losing so much value so quickly that it's becoming nearly impossible to conduct the day-to-day business of shopping for food. Holding on to Bolivares for the purposes of savings has long become meaningless. The safest bet right now for Venezuelans is to try to immediately convert whatever income they're earning into food or a foreign currency.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

What are the non-corrupt wealthy people doing? My understanding is that: even with access to money, there is still no access to food or medicine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

lemonslol posted:

Of all the problems that rebuilding will entail, brain drain may be the worst. Building up a trained and educated professional class takes an extraordinary long time. Since they have skills that are in globally in demand and the resources to move, they are often the first to leave. Additionally, once they start building a life in a new country they rarely want to go start over a third time.

Everything that has happened is particularly crazy when you think that at one point, Venezuela was one of the richest countries on earth, with a GDP higher than most of Europe.