Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

desudrive posted:

October 19st, guys!

They do this about once a year and it owns, also apparently you have the option of upgrading the second to last armor set by collecting a lot of rare flowers in North Ithilien, making it about equal to the most recent/best armor set. I am not kidding, and for some reason I actually like the absurdity of it.

ArchWizard posted:

I tried to decorate my house but I didn't finish. There was... a complication.

Looks good so far, if you kill something tougher than a badger your decorations would be even more impressive :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunkenboxer
Oct 3, 2007

eh?
Hey all,

If I started this game up as a newbie, would I be able to find groups to do the lower dungeons/content?

It looks like warden is the best bet for power to see things solo, but is there content I won't be able to do that requires a group?

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

Drunkenboxer posted:

Hey all,

If I started this game up as a newbie, would I be able to find groups to do the lower dungeons/content?

It looks like warden is the best bet for power to see things solo, but is there content I won't be able to do that requires a group?

This game has gotten really easy for simple solo leveling. Your first dungeon will be the 3 Great Barrow instances around level 22ish. On Landroval, you will probably be able to find a group for it most of the time. You can skip dungeons if you want to, but I'd strongly advise against doing that! Learn how to play in a group, and grouping is fun af in most MMOs. The next dungeon is Garth Agarwen in the Lone Lands. That's for lvl 33ish characters.

Warden, Rune Keeper and Beorning are classes that you have to pay to play, and you can make it through default landscape content on any of the free classes just fine. You don't have to pay a dime to play this game until you hit the end of Lone Lands at 33 or so, so don't throw down any cash until you're sure you really want to keep playing.

If you do decide you want to play past the F2P stuff, buy 1 month VIP and roll all of the alts you think you'll want to play. Doing that will permanently unlock a ton of stuff(Virtues, Class Tree Abilities, Gold Cap, Swift Travel, etc ) for any character that you log in during that month.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Drunkenboxer posted:

Hey all,

Replying late because Brave summed it up well, but over the years class changes, gear changes, daily presents etc made it so all of the content from 1-80, at least, got a lot easier. If you want people to run it with you just to explain it, experience for the first time, enjoy the lore of the better done dungeons etc, I can run some of them with you. In all honesty, you can do everything you need to do solo in this game solo without just narrowing it down to warden. And you probably will not casually or instantly find a group for all of the lower content, but you don't really need to anyway. Whenever you see a 105 on, or someone your level even I'm sure several of us are willing to run you through things.

Just let us know if you decide to try it out, join the Landroval server and post your name here.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Every class can solo to max level in this. Some go slower, others are faster but maybe a bit more risky. Captains can get through the content no problem but are slower than classes like champion. Wardens are solid if you master the class but it's also the worst to play infrequently because relearning gambits after being gone for awhile is awful.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015
If you're mostly interested in questing/the story and soloing then Hunter has the most convenience features (run speed buff, in-combat teleport panic button, most importantly lots and lots of no-cooldown teleports, which are a lifesaver if you haven't subbed for a month to unlock swift travel and really convenient even if you have). The only thing they're lacking is a decent self-heal; this is almost never an issue when leveling, especially if you're a completionist with quests since that'll make you overleveled almost all the time (and the whole point of ranged DPS is to kill things before they can hit you anyway), but it means you won't be able to solo low-level group content until well after many other classes. If you care about hardcore endgame raiding you probably don't want to play a Hunter, since they're apparently still really underpowered compared to other ranged DPS despite a recent buff, but if you don't raid you'll never notice this and IMHO the convenience skills more than make up for it.

jalapeno_dude fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Oct 30, 2016

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
If you care about funding a children's hospital, about obtaining a rare previously retired digital pixel pet, or maybe a little bit about both of these things the extra-life event is now being hosted by the new community manager Cordovan. Not as big of an event and not a 24 hour stream I don't think, but still nice to see him take the reins and raise a few grand for charity.

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?&postid=7666083

30 bucks for the spirit bear directly, 2 bucks or more to be put in raffles for a bear or turbine points, 20 bucks gets you the in game title "Hero of The Small Folk", and 10 gets you some lovely forum title on the LoTRO forums.

edit

Stream up again, I guess he's doing 12 hours today 12 hours next weekend, but goes on lunch breaks and stuff. Seems like he is focused on just raising some money and not proving to the internet that he can drink eight red bulls, probably a good thing, he does smaller giveaways both on YouTube and Twitch, official LoTRO channel on both.

extra stout fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Nov 5, 2016

Panorama
Jul 25, 2003
This is quite cool and I'll certainly chuck in a couple of bucks.

sgbyou
Feb 3, 2005

I'm just a shadow in the light you leave behind.

Starting this back up after ages, I'd like an invite to the guild. Name is Reluctant.

sgbyou fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Nov 8, 2016

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Panorama posted:

This is quite cool and I'll certainly chuck in a couple of bucks.

Kind of you, he posted an update saying they'll take donations that count til the raffle when they do all of that stuff around January 1st

sgbyou posted:

Starting this back up after ages, I'd like an invite to the guild. Name is Reluctant.

Done, and welcome back!

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

I can vouch that the spirit bear pet is pretty cool. I got that and several other things the last time Sapience did an Extra Life fundraiser.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

ruffz posted:

I can vouch that the spirit bear pet is pretty cool. I got that and several other things the last time Sapience did an Extra Life fundraiser.

Definitely, they mail them to your character that you tell them the name of and they're bound, so I think there still won't be any other way to get this.

https://www.lotro.com/en/lotrostoresale

Quest packs and expansions are 30 percent off on sale.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

extra stout posted:

Quest packs and expansions are 30 percent off on sale.

It appears that the newest one isn't included in the sale. :(

Scottishprog
Jun 30, 2012
New to LOTRO, would like a guild invite. Name is Maphingiel

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Scottishprog posted:

New to LOTRO, would like a guild invite. Name is Maphingiel

You were offline when I got on, but I'll keep an eye out. Mailed you a few gold and some items for now.

sgbyou
Feb 3, 2005

Man, I just couldn't get used to warden, so I deleted him. Luckily I'm digging my loremaster. Also if I could get an invite for my dorf wizard that would be cool, name is Lamentable. I will probably be on all day today.

sgbyou fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Nov 14, 2016

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.
Bloop, I have new characters plus those!

Thursday Next fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Nov 24, 2016

Scottishprog
Jun 30, 2012
Will be running around for the next few hours, if there are any guild officers online to give an invite, it would be appreciated.

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

Digging the storyline, but I don't love the bear thing. Going to try a couple other classes.

sgbyou
Feb 3, 2005

Yeah, tried the beorning class but found it to be pretty awkward.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Scottishprog posted:

Will be running around for the next few hours, if there are any guild officers online to give an invite, it would be appreciated.

Sorry I missed you again, you've been on my friends list just not on my rotation. Add Dunkadin to friends too and bug him if he's on and I'm not :)

Thursday Next posted:

What the heck. I'm in. I never gave this game a real try and I'm in for a more story-rich, solo play, nice and soothing experience.

I'm in as Yssaria and Chatanya. I dig classes that can tank and heal so I went ahead and paid to be a drui-- I mean, a Beorning. Can I get a ginvite? I'd love to be able to buy a horse, but I still have a free 24 hour whistle thing so I'm good there.

Added both to friends, you're not currently on either but I'll keep an eye out. Let me know if you need any help. Are you sticking with the kin you're in on your beorning or did you just join a random pubby one to try it out? Either way I'll mail you all some gold and pipeweed as is my routine.

As far as the beorning goes, you build up wrath or some poo poo as a man who can heal then spend it while fighting as a bear who can heal better and has a fear and a root/pin. Lots of toggling between the two every minute or so, I like it because it's OP and being a bear is fun, but until 105 and taking it out to PVP or raid the true potential of the class isn't revealed and it's probably only a top seller because it's the only class where you can be a bear.

update

Rumors about the next patch: The best jewelry in the game is currently from the raid, and the new jewelry that will be added for flower bartering will have an additional slot and raiders are very pissed, casuals happy of course. Either way, probably hold out on slotting your jewelry unless you have a lot of reclamation scrolls or even a real career in real life

extra stout fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Nov 23, 2016

Phooch
Oct 18, 2006

Thursday Next posted:

What the heck. I'm in. I never gave this game a real try and I'm in for a more story-rich, solo play, nice and soothing experience.

I'm in as Yssaria and Chatanya. I dig classes that can tank and heal so I went ahead and paid to be a drui-- I mean, a Beorning. Can I get a ginvite? I'd love to be able to buy a horse, but I still have a free 24 hour whistle thing so I'm good there.

Chatanya and another of Thursday Next's characters "Ytra" are now members of the kinship. Welcome to goon town!

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
http://www.lotro.com/en/game/articles/black-friday-specials-other-deals

Not sure how long it lasts but expansion packs (yes now even Helm's Deep) are all 75 percent off. So are those skirmish pack bundles, you get 4 codes that unlock 3 skirmish battles for 5 bucks, which is very cheap and good for goon sharing except there aren't too many reasons to run most skirmishes anymore unless you're leveling up.

The first four expansions are in a bundle for 10 dollars, and Helm's Deep is only 10 dollars too.

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

Game may be "dead", but it's fun as hell. It basically plays as a solo adventure in - and I'll just say it - a surprisingly gorgeous world. I loaded in, played for a few hours, and thought it was pretty meh... then I noticed the graphics settings. And their values. For some weird reason, it defaulted me to medium / low settings across the board. I raised everything to max value since I am not, in fact, playing on a TI-85, and the game looks gorgeous.

The character models / faces are still awful and obviously ten years old, but everything from clothing details to volumetric shadows are great. There's a bit of lipstick-on-pig going on, of course (it's ten years old! You're going to have some pop-in on the branches, and the designers have done a lot of clever tricks to save polygons...), but as you're galloping across the low rolling hills of Bree, you're racing the clouds overhead and seeing the lights slowly start glowing as the sun sets.

Things are true to the books / movie / world. Like, very, very true. Yesterday, I went to the new housing area in Gondor as a lowly level 20. I was standing in a literal flat green field, looking out at a single house on the water. My husband came home from work, took one look at my screen, and said, "Oh! Gondor!" That's how recognizable the areas are.

So far, everyone I've spoken to has been really, really nice. Yeah, one was a little pushy ("are you really a girl? where do you live? are you still in school?"), but that's only one. The rest of the people have literally gone out of their way to help me - with answers to questions in /world, or with help running old content. I spent most of yesterday with a level 80 Minstrel who wanted to see the old instances again. I gained ten levels in the day.

I don't want to paint a perfectly rosy picture, though. It IS mostly a solo game. I see a handful of other players in the various zones, but not frequently. There's no group-finder as such. You have to talk in /world or something to get people to run content with you, and you won't be putting together a group of six same-level folks to fight through an instance. The players just aren't there. That's OK with me right now, though, due to Life Circumstances (health issues forcing me to be sedentary, and I quit WoW because I was sucked in too much). It's a... pleasant experience that you can take or leave. There's no mad rush to level cap. There's no need for the best gear. It's a single-player game in which strangely mobile NPCs occasionally run by.

Oh, and combat sucks. That's bad.

The monetization is good, in my opinion, which probably means it's bad in other players' opinions. I can spend hours playing pretty-princess dressup, or decorating a house. But the game does constantly, albeit seamlessly, tie in their monetization. Every window from your character sheet to your wallet has a little Buy This poo poo button. You can ignore it.

So... yeah. I'm liking it. It's like the opposite of WoW. It's an emphasis on story, and on solo play. There's no grind and no race and who honestly cares about the RNG? Give it a try.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
I should really get back into it. Maybe I'll finally try a modern Guardian.

Edit: I forgot I had a Captain in Moria, so I'm on as Tethelle again.

Prism fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Nov 25, 2016

Orv
May 4, 2011
So I kind of just want to experience this game solo. I had a subscription several times in the vanilla game, have all the expansions up to and including Riders, is there anything I'm going to get hosed on pre-Helm's? I vaguely recall something about them doing the DDO thing of separating early vanilla content out into premium/single-purchase things?

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Orv posted:

So I kind of just want to experience this game solo. I had a subscription several times in the vanilla game, have all the expansions up to and including Riders, is there anything I'm going to get hosed on pre-Helm's? I vaguely recall something about them doing the DDO thing of separating early vanilla content out into premium/single-purchase things?

Yeah, to get content past the end of the Lone-lands (~level 30) and pre-Moria (level 50) you need to either subscribe or buy Quest Packs. I recommend resubbing now for a month to pick up premium status on that character, which unlocks all the VIP convenience features like fast-travel and persists even if you drop your subscription. While you're subscribed create 1 character of every class/race combo you plan on ever playing and log them in so they all have premium status. Whether it's worth subscribing beyond that month depends on your playstyle: buying the Quest Packs for TP gives you access to them forever on all of your characters, vs. subbing which only gives you access while you're actually subbed. You can pick up all of the Eriador quest packs for 3995 TP, which works out to around the cost of a 3-month subscription.

If you already have a character with premium status you want to play, you can easily get a month of content for less than a monthly subscription, so it's worth waiting to resub even if you ultimately plan on doing so. Instead, pick up Steely Dawn, on sale for $5 this weekend, which includes Evendim (the best sub-50 zone in the game) + 500 TP. Use those TP + 95 you earn from deeds (you'll pick up this amount of TP without any effort by the time you hit level 30) to buy one more quest pack for 595 TP. Then you don't need to resub until ~level 40 which will almost certainly take you at least a month to get to. The Epic Story takes you Lonelands -> North Downs -> Trollshaws -> Misty Mountains. If you're following the Epic Story I recommend buying North Downs. At the end of North Downs head directly to Aragorn in Rivendell once you're directed there, ignoring the Trollshaws content for now. Then pick up the quest from Aragorn to head to Evendim and do that zone. If you're not following the Epic Story consider just skipping North Downs and heading directly to Evendim; then buy either Trollshaws or Misty Mountains depending on how overlevelled you are coming out of Evendim.

jalapeno_dude fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Nov 25, 2016

Orv
May 4, 2011
...Huh. I have subbed and created characters since the F2P switchover, is premium stored per character when it's created then? That's insane.

E: I'll pick up Helm's and resub, I've spent $25 on dumber poo poo, and I'm pretty sure I'm sitting on some TP from last time I drunkenly hosed with people in DDO. Thanks.

Orv fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Nov 25, 2016

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Orv posted:

...Huh. I have subbed and created characters since the F2P switchover, is premium stored per character when it's created then? That's insane.

E: I'll pick up Helm's and resub, I've spent $25 on dumber poo poo, and I'm pretty sure I'm sitting on some TP from last time I drunkenly hosed with people in DDO. Thanks.

Welcome back! I didn't understand your first question but I'll say you definitely won't regret a few bucks to experience the Gondor area and quests.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Now I just have to get there. :v:

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
I'm playing this again as a chillout mechanic - my hunter is fun now that he can actually DPS and kill things, so I'm running around Moria rescuing dorfs. Character name Luminary if anyone's ever on the guild for invites (I got booted some time back?)

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
For your 60-65 leveling, is Mirkwood or Enedwaith the better option? (I'm a VIP right now so buying the areas is not a concern.)

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

Prism posted:

For your 60-65 leveling, is Mirkwood or Enedwaith the better option? (I'm a VIP right now so buying the areas is not a concern.)

I really like Mirkwood myself just for atmosphere. Both of them are pretty decent in terms of quest grouping and ease, though I think Enedwaith might be a little more group oriented.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Prism posted:

Unless you're skipping entire areas in Moria you'll probably be 62-63 by the time you hit Lothlorien and you can hit 65+ just by running the epic quests for that area and Mirkwood at that point.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Evil Fluffy posted:

Unless you're skipping entire areas in Moria you'll probably be 62-63 by the time you hit Lothlorien and you can hit 65+ just by running the epic quests for that area and Mirkwood at that point.

I left Moria at 60 because I have done it before but not really much past it, though I could duck back in and do Nud-melek.

I'll poke around, though. Since I'm a subscriber I still might be able to do that as I seem to be getting bonus XP.

Edit: Thought I'd avoid a doublepost.

I didn't actually do the epic quest much while I was in Moria on this character - again, since I'd done it before. Looks like I'm still on Book II Chapter 3. Unless it's possible to 'skip ahead', I guess I know what I'm doing!

Prism fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Nov 29, 2016

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?649308-Update-19-1-1-Release-Notes

There is a small update tomorrow but on the list is a bunch of nerd poo poo regarding particles, debuffs, and who knows how it'll actually impact the game but I like the idea of patches that polish up old sluggish code. If anyone notices a little frame rate boost during raids this seems to be the goal.

BIG NEWS: The fountains in Bree will have stronger water streams

extra stout fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Dec 1, 2016

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

I installed this and started playing as Gromyr the dwarf in the blue mountains...Wish I had more time to kill

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Looks like I missed the sale dammit

Zvim
Sep 18, 2009

Prism posted:

If you haven't done them before I would recommend seeing them both, even if the exp will get a bit sad as they start to go green or grey.

For alts, I will typically write a list of the virtues and race deeds and where you get them and and streamline my questing around getting those done.

Zvim fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Dec 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Mr. Pickles posted:

I installed this and started playing as Gromyr the dwarf in the blue mountains...Wish I had more time to kill

Friends list says you haven't been on in two weeks and are level 1, so if that's the right character just hit level 7~ or so by finishing the intro and you can then be invited to a kin :)