Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
So wait, won't Koodo charge you an early termination fee on the contract? I guess I don't get the deal. A friend of mine has an iPhone 4 and I want to help her find something decent but the 6s starts at like $749 on the store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
They can't it's illegal now. The 6S is $570 tax in from koodo, and locked to the telus carrier code Telus/Koodo/PM. So Telus is handing out free hardware subsidies for their carrier code, and you are getting bargain basement service from PM. WIN-WIN :getin:

If you like android the deals get stupid cause unlock codes are $5 and the discounts are steep.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
Wow cool thanks man, I will pass it on.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Risky Bisquick posted:

They can't it's illegal now.

Huh? Early termination fees are still LEGAL, they're just limited to the value of the device subsidy (as in, the difference between what you paid and retail price), and reduced every month for two years until they zero out.

So unless TELUS is being unusually generous for people switching between their two flanker brands, they can absolutely charge you a termination fee for the deal as you describe it that would leave you no better off than just buying an unlocked 6S and BYODing it to Public.

(see here, section G)

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Nov 25, 2016

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
If they try to charge that fee you just hand back the device and let them eat the loss that way.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
They aren't going to just let you take a $900 device for $500, they are going to get the cost back from you somehow.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
This has been happening for months you guys must be new to the whole get the best deal for the least money thing. If for whatever reason they try to hit you with fees, open the box and return it for full price and let them eat it.

https://forums.redflagdeals.com/koodo-iphone-6-16gb-504-iphone-6s-16gb-704-a-1937403/

https://forums.redflagdeals.com/certified-pre-owned-16gb-iphone-6-se-50-tab-medium-2038467/#p26766228

https://forums.redflagdeals.com/best-buy-koodo-iphone-se-16gb-0-tab-medium-360-2054594/#p27025372

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Risky Bisquick posted:

This has been happening for months you guys must be new to the whole get the best deal for the least money thing. If for whatever reason they try to hit you with fees, open the box and return it for full price and let them eat it.

Are any of these people not paying off their tabs/ECFs when they switch to Public or whoever? Because there's nothing like that in those threads.

If you said "Koodo won't make you pay off your hardware subsidy when you cancel your service with them" then I wouldn't have said a thing, because I don't know whether they've been possessed by the ghost of Vladimir Lenin or have otherwise decided to do something really stupid, business-wise.

But you said "it's illegal for them to make you pay off your hardware subsidy when you cancel your service with them to switch to a cheaper provider", which is dead wrong. They absolutely can. They probably will. And sure, they'll have to eat the cost of restocking the device you return. That's not really a huge amount of leverage when compared to them eating a $400 device subsidy, and if they don't bite on that POWER MOVE you or whoever you recommend this to will eat the time and effort they spent going through this dance to end up with the same phone and service plan they had before. Up to you to decide how much that's worth to you, I've said my piece.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Nov 25, 2016

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
Let me be clear, Koodo is offering subsidies through their tab. You sign up for their service with a tab, cancel Koodo service immediately and proceed pay off the tab. You end up with a discounted phone locked to Telus. If you aren't comfortable screwing retailers for savings, then buy things at full price without loopholes.

You don't get rich buying things at full price friendo.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

How is that a loophole then? The tab serves exactly the same function as the cancellation fee would, post-Wireless Code: it's how you pay off the amount you saved on the upfront cost of the device. If you're still paying off the tab, you don't save anything over buying the device unlocked unless Koodo is deliberately setting the tab low enough so they take a loss on every device they sell.

Which, I mean, they COULD be doing that. But it didn't sound like they were.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
Your cost ends up being the tab price minus at worst a prorated 1 day of service. They are in fact eating the loss, I'm not sure you are understanding the deal here

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Just as a heads up, you will eat the device balance on a final bill if you do this. If you do not pay this final bill, it will be bad credit on your credit history.

Next time you try and sign up with the company that you did it with, they will see that unpaid balance as well, and be unable to continue until it's paid.

It is very possible they will blacklist the phones imei as well.

Almost all telecoms return policies are only within 15-30 days.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Risky Bisquick posted:

Your cost ends up being the tab price minus at worst a prorated 1 day of service. They are in fact eating the loss, I'm not sure you are understanding the deal here

So I went and looked it up, and yes, I wasn't quite understanding the deal, and when dude asked about termination fees and you said "nah they can't", I thought you meant you weren't paying the tab either because I think of tabs as termination fees when they're paid off early.

But you aren't quite understanding the law, so I guess we're even.

Retail on a 6S32 at Koodo is currently $775, Koodo is cutting that to $0 for Black Friday when you purchase on a $504 tab that you can pay off over two years along with your plan.

The CRTC says that you can charge a cancellation fee up to the difference between the retail price (today, $775) and the upfront price (today, $0). I'm not going phone shopping today (I actually just bought an unlocked phone yesterday on a Black Friday deal so I'm good for a while) so I won't have a chance to look at a Koodo service contract, so let's just say I would be very surprised if they let you walk away with it for $504, because they can exploit loopholes too, friendo.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Nov 25, 2016

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
Tell you what, I'll post the final invoice in a month. We can settle this with a sheet of paper that proves you both wrong.

edit: to find later

SystemLogoff posted:

:lol:

Risky Bisquick fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Nov 25, 2016

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Yeah, if anyone is taking bets, I'll put a hundo down on you paying full price or worse.

There is a grace period in which you can get out of a contract (tab is a contact, just with a different name) but if you wait longer than it, you're probably getting hosed even harder.

You do realise these guys are basically three big crime families, right?

E: can't recall exactly, but I believe the grace period between 1 and 3 days. So if you pull this stunt and don't get your surprise bill until after 3 days, you're hosed. Plus you'll pay for the service and any associated fees (maybe they got rid of the latter, I don't know). Plus you'll have a couple of full price, locked phones. Plus you may end up with a minor ding against your credit.

Cocaine Bear fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Nov 25, 2016

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
Going back a few days in this thread, I bought that Honor 8 from Newegg on Wednesday morning when it was $399 during the Shell Shocker/Black Friday combo sale. Having used it for a little over 24 hours now I can say this thing is killer. It's fast as hell and easily the best built phone I've ever owned. I highly recommend it.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

JoelJoel posted:

Yeah, if anyone is taking bets, I'll put a hundo down on you paying full price or worse.

There is a grace period in which you can get out of a contract (tab is a contact, just with a different name) but if you wait longer than it, you're probably getting hosed even harder.

You do realise these guys are basically three big crime families, right?

E: can't recall exactly, but I believe the grace period between 1 and 3 days. So if you pull this stunt and don't get your surprise bill until after 3 days, you're hosed. Plus you'll pay for the service and any associated fees (maybe they got rid of the latter, I don't know). Plus you'll have a couple of full price, locked phones. Plus you may end up with a minor ding against your credit.

Feel free to make this an official :toxx: since you're so sure. Apparently they can't even claw back the $150 in pc points so its 504-150=$354 (or less if you get a referral).

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Got myself up on the manitoba koodo plan with a more-precious-than-gold 416 number. I'm crushing it at this sticking it to the man thing!

It still works but you have to talk to a human being so I don't imagine anyone here will do it.

Good Canadian Boy
May 12, 2013

I was going to do public mobile, but the sim card I ordered never showed up in the mail. So instead I went on this corporate telus plan that was being offered through my work and I got a google pixel xl for $50 and my plan is under $70 a month for 4 gigs data and unlimited everything. Not quite the public mobile deal, but I really appreciate getting a google pixel for so cheap.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007
Resident Rocking Dachshund

Good Canadian Boy posted:

I was going to do public mobile, but the sim card I ordered never showed up in the mail. So instead I went on this corporate telus plan that was being offered through my work and I got a google pixel xl for $50 and my plan is under $70 a month for 4 gigs data and unlimited everything. Not quite the public mobile deal, but I really appreciate getting a google pixel for so cheap.

That's a great deal, by 2016 Canadian Telecom standards. If it's a 2 yr term, getting an $800 subsidy is like $33 off per month for two years.

Good Canadian Boy
May 12, 2013

Ya it seemed like a really good deal! Now I just have to wait for my backordered phone to actually arrive :(

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

SystemLogoff posted:

:qq: :qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
you're awfully loving defensive about this poo poo i'm starting to think you were for real about the iphone thing

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
So what did you gain from this?

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
Roughly $500 in savings on an Apple product ( $361 vs $870 )

ed: What I neglected to mention, I work with people that have done this before to Koodo. I suppose that may have helped explain that it is legitimate.

Zigmidge posted:

you're awfully loving defensive about this poo poo i'm starting to think you were for real about the iphone thing

Posts that involve money are not sarcastic 3 sentence quips

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

My post was in regard to non payment, if that work around works I have no issues. I just don't want anyone to be dinged for no reason.

You got a discount, good job.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
Have you pulled your credit recently to make sure there are no claims there?

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Risky Bisquick posted:

Roughly $500 in savings on an Apple product ( $361 vs $870 )

ed: What I neglected to mention, I work with people that have done this before to Koodo. I suppose that may have helped explain that it is legitimate.

Well, colour me surprised. Because of my job I generally don't expect carriers to miss a chance like that. But how did you pay $360 when that bill says you paid $560?

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

I'd give it a shot. Is anything 6s 64G or greater available or is all of this in retrospect?

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Dallan Invictus posted:

Well, colour me surprised. Because of my job I generally don't expect carriers to miss a chance like that. But how did you pay $360 when that bill says you paid $560?

$504 pretax, plus a bonus of 150 in 'pcpoints, so 364 pretax'. Works out to $400 after taxes when you cash out the points into giftcards. If they refuse to honour the pcpoints offer you can file a complaint with the CCTS and get it anyhow. Reason being is they put the points as a line item on your actual contract which means it cannot be taken back. Eventually I figure porting out will probably be updated to respect some sort of early period to stop these subsidy port out abuses.

If you're a ballsy person and ant a cheap phone check on RFD to see which offers are live from the mobile shop.

Didn't check my credit history but I'd file a complaint and sue them for a false claim since everything I've done is legal according to the law and contract ive signed. They do issue a credit check for large tabs which some people were apparently denied a $500 loan.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Thank you for doing your bit by loving a couple hundred dollars out of a Canadian telecom.

Sad that they'll use this specific case to get the CRTC to approve a new "Backfired Promotions Recovery" general levy added to all bills, but for one brief shining moment, we as a whole got one over on 'em.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
If they didn't want to be hosed, they should've hired smarter contract lawyers.

Rogers delenda est

Gotta say, the Telus network is pretty good, though there's still a few buildings that are more than a match for blocking it, like the Metro on Adelaide.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Mister Macys posted:

If they didn't want to be hosed, they should've hired smarter contract lawyers.

Yeah, the main thing I have learned from this Internet Argument is "if I ever want to go over to the dark side I know who I can replace".

JiUC
Aug 3, 2004

X-ray reflectivity is a technique used to study crystalline structures. Making use of Bragg's law, λ=2dsin(θ), one can assess the thickness of a thin film by measuring the angle of total reflection, and compar

I'm looking for a month-to-month (no contract) plan that will allow me to use an unlocked iPhone 7+ with at least a few GBs of data (and LTE please) and not much in terms of minutes (I rarely make calls other than on Facebook/Facetime/Whatsapp). Bonus if it has any good roaming options since I move around a lot--hence not wanting a term contract. What is my best bet for value?Thanks for any suggestions.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Public Mobile

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Alternatively, live somewhere other than Canada

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
If anyone wants a truely bargain basement cellular plan you can get the $15 Fido 3gb data only :airquote: tablet :airquote: plan, call them to deny text/voice to the sim/number and port your number into Fongo or voip.ms. 3gb for regular users should be enough unless you stream videos or whatever. Yearly cost for service is $180.

If you do a 2 year contract you can get some sort of lg tablet with this deal at no extra cost.

JiUC
Aug 3, 2004

X-ray reflectivity is a technique used to study crystalline structures. Making use of Bragg's law, λ=2dsin(θ), one can assess the thickness of a thin film by measuring the angle of total reflection, and compar

Chris Knight posted:

Public Mobile

This looks really good and I'd never heard of it. Thanks!

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

JiUC posted:

This looks really good and I'd never heard of it. Thanks!

Read the last five pages of the thread! Service is good on Telus' network but there is zero technical support by phone or in-person. The only way to get help is to either email them or leave a message on their message board and hope someone gets back to you within 48 hours.

I had a problem last week where all my text messages were returning a message failed error, but people were receiving my texts, sometimes in multiple. It sorted itself out the next day but I have received zero response from tech support about the issue. Not even a cursory check up.

Price is great and service is good, but just be aware of the lack of support.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

quote:

Dear Spergy Austist,

Thank you for contacting PC Plus Member Services.

We’ve reviewed your current balance and have made the adjustment of 150,000 PC points to your account. Remember to load your weekly offers and present your registered President’s Choice Financial card, PC Plus Card, Key Tag, or App at the check-out prior to completing your transaction to ensure that you do not miss out on future promotions.

Should you require any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us.

:snoop: $400 all in for a iPhone 6S 32gb