Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Is there a way to get money once you're out of trainers that ISN'T grinding the Elite 4? I want to buy all the TMs. And fancy pants.

If you do the UB quest you get 1,000,000 pokedollars. I think that's more than enough to buy everything in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
I really wish that gamefreak knew how to optimise because godamn 2v2 battles are laggy as poo poo. Maybe just don't render the trainers? I personally love the 3D and wish they'd use it for the little things like when something evolves, trading & the pokedex.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Anyone know what causes a different version of the evolution music to play? Just had it happen to me when my Rattata evolved and don't know what caused it.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Clarste posted:

If you do the UB quest you get 1,000,000 pokedollars. I think that's more than enough to buy everything in the game.
Oh, holy poo poo, I'm just getting to the Elite 4 now. That's fine, then. I will take my million pokebux for doing something I was going to do anyway!

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

What's the UB quest?

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Electric Phantasm posted:

Anyone know what causes a different version of the evolution music to play? Just had it happen to me when my Rattata evolved and don't know what caused it.

Alolan Form evolutions have different music.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Oh, also, I'd like a HA Sandshrew! I have some random-natured HA female Vulpixes and one Timid HA male Vulpix, all with Moonblast and Freeze-Dry, take your pick. I don't think there are any egg moves I care about on the Sandshrew but if there are I can breed 'em on there myself.

Friend code is 4897 - 7314 - 5821, ingame name is Jesus.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Plus you can earn 20 thousand for chucking pukyumukyu back into the ocean in the hano hotel

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

So how do weather SOS battles work? Even though it's raining, the Pokemon in Maile Garden seem to be the same and they don't seem to have an SOS table.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Sultan Tarquin posted:

I really wish that gamefreak knew how to optimise because godamn 2v2 battles are laggy as poo poo. Maybe just don't render the trainers? I personally love the 3D and wish they'd use it for the little things like when something evolves, trading & the pokedex.

It's probably more because their models for pokemon are very large and high-res. There's only so much optimization possible due to hardware limitations.

Probably gonna look great on the Switch.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Doesn't 3D works when using the pokefinder?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Flagrama posted:

Alolan Form evolutions have different music.

Neat, but also disappointing since I'm probably gonna hear one more time when my Diglett evolves, it sounded nice.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Arrgytehpirate posted:

What's the UB quest?

The quest to catch all the Ultra Beasts. It's the main postgame sidequest.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Clarste posted:

That's only enough for two bags at the post game store.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Can anyone tell me how the IV boosting mechanic works in this game? Where do you get bottle caps and how rare are they? Is breeding still accepted as the easier way to do it?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Dehry posted:

Where's the postgame store? I need more clothes.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Clarste posted:

Where's the postgame store? I need more clothes.

The first city in the shopping district. It's next to the demo pokemon center (haven't commited city names to memory yet.)

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Deified Data posted:

Can anyone tell me how the IV boosting mechanic works in this game? Where do you get bottle caps and how rare are they? Is breeding still accepted as the easier way to do it?
Have to be level 100 to use the bottle caps and they don't change IVs so you can't breed more perfect kids of the same type.

You can get them from first and second prize at one of the lotto shops in the stupid wireless connection place, is all I know.

I would just [edit: wait for Bank to open up in January if necessary and] breed if you already have a good Ditto.

DACK FAYDEN fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Nov 25, 2016

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Dehry posted:

It's open at least as early as you finishing the first island even if you can't afford the stuff there.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Captain Fargle posted:

So. Mega Stones for anything not in the Alola Dex are unavailable in Sun and Moon. Unless Bank gives the necessary items to you for free once it updates the following are the Pokemon you will be unable to Mega in Gen 7:

Abomasnow, Aggron, Altaria, Ampharos, Audino, Banette, Beedrill, Blaziken, Camerupt, Diancia, Gallade, Gardevoir, Heracross, Houndoom, Latias, Latios, Lopunny, Manectric, Mawile, Medicham, Mewtwo, Pidgeot, Sceptile, Steelix, Swampert and Tyranitar.

It just hit me how weird this is considering you can buy the orbs for the gen 3 and 4 legendaries.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
PSA: if you beat the game the first place you should go in the post-game is the battle kitchen at the mall on the first island. Even though you can only use it once per day it makes the leap into the post-game a lot less frustrating as all the trainers are about level 55 instead of jumping right up to past level 60. With an amulet coin and a good team you can get 20k there easily.

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

Deified Data posted:

If you have the Pelago Island where you can go treasure hunting, the tier 1 will give you some colored shards, once you have 30 of one color you can trade it for one bottle cap. You can also choose to go for the tier 3 treasure hunt instead, which has a chance of getting you gold bottle caps, although I'm not sure about how rare they are.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Captain Fargle posted:

So. Mega Stones for anything not in the Alola Dex are unavailable in Sun and Moon. Unless Bank gives the necessary items to you for free once it updates the following are the Pokemon you will be unable to Mega in Gen 7:

Abomasnow, Aggron, Altaria, Ampharos, Audino, Banette, Beedrill, Blaziken, Camerupt, Diancia, Gallade, Gardevoir, Heracross, Houndoom, Latias, Latios, Lopunny, Manectric, Mawile, Medicham, Mewtwo, Pidgeot, Sceptile, Steelix, Swampert and Tyranitar.

There's also no National Dex from what I'm seeing? Gen 7 has some weird poo poo going on. Hopefully updates in January will explain what exactly it is they're planning.

The theory that they were planning to do a Pokemon Z and then abortively rushed into SuMo because "no you gotta have a new main entry Pokemon for the 20th anniversary!!" sounds more and more plausible, really.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
If that's the case they made a really good game anyways though so :shrug:

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

It seems weird though because how could they have rushed into this game if there wasn't a game released in 2015? Was that all just wasted time spent on Pokemon Z? It seems a bit unlikely. Sure, there's some things they could have improved, but I definitely think they were considering the initial adventure moreso than the competitive parts.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Captain Oblivious posted:

There's also no National Dex from what I'm seeing? Gen 7 has some weird poo poo going on. Hopefully updates in January will explain what exactly it is they're planning.
I thought they said the National Dex was coming with the Bank update? Like, you got it by connecting to Bank for the first time or something.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I think they just wanted people to use the new pokemon before bringing in a bunch of the old ones.

Honestly, I like that you can't just trade a bunch of old pokemon in. Means you have to make do with what you can get for now.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the follow up to xy was probably scrapped with pieces slotted into sumo (even if the 3rd game never got past the concept phase and they just took the z ring and zygarde stuff from it)

whatever happened tho, gen 7 is easily the best in the series. there's really no contest

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Game development does not work that way. Pokemon games usually take about 3 or so years to make and if they were going to make a Pokemon Z, then it was scrapped VERY early in development, because you do not make a game like Sun and Moon in a year or so like some people think.

More than likely, they'll release the rest of the Mega stones through special events throughout the next while, or, and call me crazy, they actually plan ahead and have been developing the next game in the series for the past while or so and it'll be similar to XY and ORAS in that it fills in the gaps.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
I'll be totally honest, at this point what I want them to do more than anything is give us another Silver/Gold-like experience where they duct tape two regions together.

Give me Alola and Sinnoh or something. Who do I have to kill to make this happen.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Since it can snow in Tapu Village, can you evolve Crabrawler there? Or is it location-based and you have to be on the snow mountain?

(I haven't gotten it to snow in Tapu Village, so I haven't been able to check.)

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
To be fair: the anime started using Pokemon Z branding before Sun and Moon were even announced.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Honestly, two regions is more of an "interesting in theory, kind of a mess in practice" thing.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

that's what I was kinda expecting this gen to be tbh. like you'd go back to kalos after beating the main story here and do a victory lap through the gyms and e4 there

Crosspeice posted:

Game development does not work that way. Pokemon games usually take about 3 or so years to make and if they were going to make a Pokemon Z, then it was scrapped VERY early in development, because you do not make a game like Sun and Moon in a year or so like some people think.

More than likely, they'll release the rest of the Mega stones through special events throughout the next while, or, and call me crazy, they actually plan ahead and have been developing the next game in the series for the past while or so and it'll be similar to XY and ORAS in that it fills in the gaps.

I mean yea that's what I was saying; they had the idea for the 3rd game (development for that would have to start before gen 6 was even out anyway so they'd have to be figuring it out before then) then didn't follow through with it, instead transferring some ideas they liked over to the other games they were making

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

Solumin posted:

Since it can snow in Tapu Village, can you evolve Crabrawler there? Or is it location-based and you have to be on the snow mountain?

(I haven't gotten it to snow in Tapu Village, so I haven't been able to check.)

Nope, just on the mountain. It sucks because you're almost done with the main game at that point.

jarbv
Jul 10, 2004

Arrgytehpirate posted:

What's the UB quest?

a creepy old dude hands you a note telling you to meet him in a motel room after you beat the elite four

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Senerio posted:

I think they just wanted people to use the new pokemon before bringing in a bunch of the old ones.

Honestly, I like that you can't just trade a bunch of old pokemon in. Means you have to make do with what you can get for now.

*floods the world with spearows, caterpies, wingulls, zubats, tentacools*

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??
Am I alone in thinking that sina and dexio need to gently caress right back off to kalos and be useless there

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
The first time you can go to Ten Carat Hill after getting your sweet Tauros mount, is it supposed to have anything except some new random pokemon and a couple ok items? NPCs keep talking about it having a strong pokemon and stuff, do you have to deal with the huge boulder or whatever to progress in any way? All I found was the one clearing and a path to the southeast that had a TM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Obligatory Toast posted:

Am I alone in thinking that sina and dexio need to gently caress right back off to halos and be useless there

competing for worst post is a futile effort imho