Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Turkey was never even close to getting membership and is a million miles further now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Erdogan threatened to flood EU with migrants if negotiations are not continued.

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005
:qq: Erdogan you whiny brat :qq:

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-38103375

quote:

Turkey plays its trump card

Heh. Yeah, this'll surely do the trick. Politicians are notorious for caving in to direct threats from foreign nations after all. Vote winning move

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Friendly Humour posted:

Heh. Yeah, this'll surely do the trick. Politicians are notorious for caving in to direct threats from foreign nations after all. Vote winning move and all that

Hasn't Turkey threatened them with this before, and they caved?

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Badger of Basra posted:

Hasn't Turkey threatened them with this before, and they caved?

Point.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Maybe a better way of saying it would've been that you can only keep threatening to shoot the hostages for so long before you have to pull teh trigger.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It wasn't really so much as threatening the EU with unleashing a migrant flood as extorting them for stemming the flow that was already going on. That's how the first deal was struck.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Friendly Humour posted:

Heh. Yeah, this'll surely do the trick. Politicians are notorious for caving in to direct threats from foreign nations after all. Vote winning move

Did you just forget the last 2 years? First the natural gas reliance of Germany crippled the EU's ability to respond effectively to the annexation of Crimea and now we're seeing the same thing with the refugee deal. The underlying issues of the refugee crisis were never resolved. We just bribed a power-hungry authoritarian to stem the tide and now he has leverage to unleash pandemonium upon national eleections and we have nothing.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Maybe I'm just really desperate for at least something that Erdogan does to bite him in the rear end. It ain't fair it aint

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Kudos to Erdogan for doing for exactly what the jihadists want tho, evoking a nationalist backlash has been their ongoing strategy wrt terrorism in the West for a while now.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Friendly Humour posted:

Kudos to Erdogan for doing for exactly what the jihadists want tho, evoking a nationalist backlash has been their ongoing strategy wrt terrorism in the West for a while now.
Reinforcing the struggle between the West and Islam is in the interest of Erdogan, in his attempt to establish himself as the Putin/Caliph of the Sunni Middle East just as soon as Trump nukes Al-Raqqah. He'll be the Reasonable Leader of Islam + Strong Man to Keep Crazy Muslims Down that Westerners have been clamoring for, as well as the Strong Man to Return Dignity and Respect to the Middle East that the people there clearly want.

A Buttery Pastry fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Nov 25, 2016

goethe42
Jun 5, 2004

Ich sei, gewaehrt mir die Bitte, in eurem Bunde der Dritte!

MiddleOne posted:

Did you just forget the last 2 years? First the natural gas reliance of more than half of the EU crippled the EU's ability to respond effectively to the annexation of Crimea...

ftfy

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Strangely enough it turns out that basing your refugee policy on appeasing far-right fantasies about building a Festung Europa doesn't actually work, much like any other policy based on appeasing far-right fantasies in recorded history. Who could have seen this one coming?

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Cerebral Bore posted:

Strangely enough it turns out that basing your refugee policy on appeasing far-right fantasies about building a Festung Europa doesn't actually work, much like any other policy based on appeasing far-right fantasies in recorded history. Who could have seen this one coming?

If the next move is to build EU run camps where the refugees coming from Turkey will be placed that would be quite appeasing to the rightists, no? Then Erdogan wont be needed anymore.

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

doverhog posted:

If the next move is to build EU run camps where the refugees coming from Turkey will be placed that would be quite appeasing to the rightists, no? Then Erdogan wont be needed anymore.

You mean spending the taxpayers' money to build things? Are you insane?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

doverhog posted:

You mean to concentrate the refugees? Sounds familiar somehow.

But seriously, the far-right would still whine about them darkies coming over here and living on our tax euros. See, the thing is that the far-right are real mad because there are nonwhite people in our pure Europe in the first place, and every other argument they present is just a bad attempt to put a more palatable veneer over their real objections. They'll never be content no matter how much you try to appease them, which is mainly why the fash need to be bashed and not coddled.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Pinch Me Im Meming posted:

You mean spending the taxpayers' money to build things? Are you insane?

As much as the right hates refugees they are unlikely to start shooting them at the border. Concentrating them into camps will stop them from harassing Europeans on the street at least. Think of it as an extension of the police, the right loves spending money on law and order.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Daily reminder: bash the fash

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Cerebral Bore posted:

The last time they tried to ignore right wing protests, they only made things worse too. The solution was to trudge on, in defiance of the protests, but virtually no European government has enough political leverage to survive doing so.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

doverhog posted:

As much as the right hates refugees they are unlikely to start shooting them at the border.

Didn't some small conservative militias literally start doing this at the Mexican border back in the Bush years?

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

That looks deceptively high. For example Finlands 100%(!) gas is just 7% of our total energy consumption.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

adhuin posted:

That looks deceptively high. For example Finlands 100%(!) gas is just 7% of our total energy consumption.

The question is, what portion of infrastructure and households would be disabled if those particular 7% got cut off.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

steinrokkan posted:

The last time they tried to ignore right wing protests, they only made things worse too. The solution was to trudge on, in defiance of the protests, but virtually no European government has enough political leverage to survive doing so.

Actually the solution is to scrap neoliberalism and after that arrest and throw any remaining fash in jail.

doverhog posted:

As much as the right hates refugees they are unlikely to start shooting them at the border. Concentrating them into camps will stop them from harassing Europeans on the street at least. Think of it as an extension of the police, the right loves spending money on law and order.

Look mate, even if concentration caps were a legitimate answer, which they aren't , this little scheme would fall to pieces when the neoliberals inevitably gently caress it up by incompetence and underfunding and then we're back on square one again.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Cerebral Bore posted:

Actually the solution is to scrap neoliberalism and after that arrest and throw any remaining fash in jail.

Yeah, I don't know how scrapping neoliberalism would have helped with the refugee crisis.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

steinrokkan posted:

Yeah, I don't know how scrapping neoliberalism would have helped with the refugee crisis.
It could have made the people of Europe more hopeful for the future, and thus less inclined to lash out at people more unfortunate than them.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost

steinrokkan posted:

It would have allowed states to engage in Public investment, state controlled market economy or even planned economy, which is anathema to the current economic order.

At least I haven't seen any free-market camps for refugees.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

steinrokkan posted:

A Buttery Pastry posted:

It could have made the people of Europe more hopeful for the future, and thus less inclined to lash out at people more unfortunate than them.

This.

And besides that, if spending money on the non-rich isn't The Great Satan then maybe we could have spent the money that was necessary to take actual care of the refugees and make them a part of wider society instead of dumping them in a bunch of refugee centres and leaving them to fend for themselves.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

caps on caps on caps posted:

Reminder

Angela Merkel, 2015:
"And to be honest, if now we should have to start apologizing because we have shown kindness to people in need, then this is simply not my country"

Poland, Hungary, FN, UK, Austria, 2015....
"wraaagh wraahgh brown people come to rape our children, let them all die in the sea or at the gates, we are FULL"

What Merkel is saying in 2015 is what the rest of Western Europe was saying in 1995.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

steinrokkan posted:

Europe would be so poor and hosed up that no refugees would want to come here

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

steinrokkan posted:

The question is, what portion of infrastructure and households would be disabled if those particular 7% got cut off.

It's nearly fully used by electricity production and heating plants in the capital city area (40-50% of the consumption there) so it's significant but, I suppose, not too hard to find a replacement for, should Russia stop providing the gas. Apparently 30 000 people use it for cooking, too.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

steinrokkan posted:

Put every neoliberal in concentration camps; house refugees in the neoliberals' homes.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

Neoliberals could have not implemented bullshit austerity policies ,then not repressed the fair and reasonable requests from most of the left to stop doing bullshit austerity policies and not double down on those same bullshit policies that drove already desperate people into the arms of the hard right that promised sunshine and rainbows if we killed all immigrants.and then act all surprised when all the Nazis come out of the woodwork.I mean I know hindsight is 20/20 and all, but this kind of hindsight was available to anyone with a cursory interest in history,human nature and social interaction,all disciplines unfortunately uninteresting to people whose sole focus is gently caress you got mine.

iF the echr gets its head out of its rear end 2017 will be a barrel of laughs although it will be too little too late.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
They were constantly banging the Hitler drum to justify austerity by saying "look, inflation is bad, wheelbarrows full of money made Germans vote for Hitler" and so they instead decided to avoid this by pushing with zealous fervor for Brüning's deflationary policies.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Vote Le Pen , time for Erdogan to learn a lesson.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Vote for the French Erdogan to teach him a lesson?

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Turkey has lost its ideals from when Ataturk was around and has an Islamist in charge , and France must remain France at all costs.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
You are right about Turkey, but what is essentially French about Le Pen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
These candidates are jokers , Sarkozy ? I can't even imagine Sarkozy in charge again .