Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD

big money big clit posted:

Early in his 11th season. I'm not really sure you can say that they were quick to fire him.

you're going to get owned when we hire head football coach, Tom Herman!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Adun posted:

That sounds like what he's doing? The reports say it will take until Saturday to sign anything

Ok. That makes much more sense than any sort of done deal talk.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

pseudodragon posted:

Ok. That makes much more sense than any sort of done deal talk.

The reports have been that a deal is close and it could be announced as early as Saturday. Nothing was ever going to be official while Houston still has a game to play.

Scionix posted:

you're going to get owned when we hire head football coach, Tom Herman!!!

I actually still expect to end up watching Joe Alleva announce head coach Larry Fedora, who was definitely his first choice all along, because Joe Alleva is a turd. But Texas also seems very bad at this, so who knows!

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

longhorn head coach tim beckman

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
reality is broken send help

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
Oh, I also know not even Texas would straight up fire a Prez over football. But going to war with the donors over football will sure as erode the support base he needs to accomplish big things and/or survive future troubles, should they arise. Would he actually choose to self-inflict such a wound and weaken his own prospects just to avoid firing a guy whose job performance is literally the worst of all time?

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Proud Christian Mom posted:

reality is broken send help

Metal Gear Solid 2 is actually about texas football in the 2010s

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

If Texas loses to TCU then Charlie is obviously gone immediately but if they win it may not be so cut and dry.

What could beating TCU possibly prove? That they can beat a bad team and go 6-6 in an execrable Big 12 with an embarrassment of young talent? I believe for a long time Charlie was going to eventually do well there, but I see no reason to think he's going to get Texas to the level they feel they should be at. The heat on Charlie isn't about Herman being too good to pass up, it's about him having failed definitively. He's done, he deserves to be done, and now they've undermined and humiliated him. I don't see how they can bring him back.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

General Dog posted:

What could beating TCU possibly prove? That they can beat a bad team and go 6-6 in an execrable Big 12 with an embarrassment of young talent? I believe for a long time Charlie was going to eventually do well there, but I see no reason to think he's going to get Texas to the level they feel they should be at. The heat on Charlie isn't about Herman being too good to pass up, it's about him having failed definitively. He's done, he deserves to be done, and now they've undermined and humiliated him. I don't see how they can bring him back.

It doesn't prove anything, but if they were going to fire him irrespective of how the game went then why let him coach it? They should have fired him after he lost Kansas if it was already set in stone. They didn't which makes it seem to me like they haven't decided yet and if he wins this one that won't make the decision any easier.

Les Miles was all but fired last year before he beat A&M and got paraded around by the players like they'd just won a natty.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

It doesn't prove anything, but if they were going to fire him irrespective of how the game went then why let him coach it? They should have fired him after he lost Kansas if it was already set in stone. They didn't which makes it seem to me like they haven't decided yet and if he wins this one that won't make the decision any easier.

Les Miles was all but fired last year before he beat A&M and got paraded around by the players like they'd just won a natty.

They may indeed be considering keeping him, but it's a mistake. A mistake I hope they make.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
Well that was an odd few hours watching the LSU - A&M game. My favorite part was them sending the reporter to the LSU AD's box only to be shut out and told no comment while they tried to find a camera that could get a shot of her at the very top of the stadium.

At this point, I want Herman to stay at UH and just give a middle finger to the ridiculous college football coaching rumor industry

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

firing charlie strong isn't gonna fix anything, texas is gonna be mediocre forever on out, soccer will become the state sport of texas

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

LLCoolJD posted:

On the other hand, it shows that Texas wouldn't be quick to can Herman. LSU, by comparison, fired its national-championship-winning coach early in the season.

The other side of this equation is Texas, who fired their own national championship winning coach (albeit after a season was over) and is about to fire their subsequent hire when he didn't hit the ground running*

*-They're going to be completely justified in firing him, but I think coaches generally expect to get four years at non-super competitive schools to get all their own recruits and stuff in place. I'd say the expected loyalty factor is a wash here at best.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Grittybeard posted:

The other side of this equation is Texas, who fired their own national championship winning coach (albeit after a season was over) and is about to fire their subsequent hire when he didn't hit the ground running*

*-They're going to be completely justified in firing him, but I think coaches generally expect to get four years at non-super competitive schools to get all their own recruits and stuff in place. I'd say the expected loyalty factor is a wash here at best.

3 years and "worst record in that span in school history" are enough and getting fired for that isn't really going to make HC candidates wary of the program.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

That Works posted:

3 years and "worst record in that span in school history" are enough and getting fired for that isn't really going to make HC candidates wary of the program.

No I agree, but that's a slight add to the 'fire a national championship coach' with the way Mack was treated on his way out. LSU did a little worse to Les with the whole flirting with Jimbo, no just kidding thing (which I'd consider a lot worse than an in-season firing). But honestly they're both snake pits as far as this particular argument goes.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
is Herman still our coach or can I chug this bottle of bleach now

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Grittybeard posted:

No I agree, but that's a slight add to the 'fire a national championship coach' with the way Mack was treated on his way out. LSU did a little worse to Les with the whole flirting with Jimbo, no just kidding thing (which I'd consider a lot worse than an in-season firing). But honestly they're both snake pits as far as this particular argument goes.

I do see where you're coming from but it was also definitely time for Mack to go. He had been falling off for a while and recruiting and development was pretty bad. His last year with not a single Texas player getting drafted was telling.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Alaois posted:

firing charlie strong isn't gonna fix anything, texas is gonna be mediocre forever on out, soccer will become the state sport of texas

Honestly this is probably many Texans' biggest fear regarding immigration.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Spacebump posted:

Bill doesn't consider that good restaurants better prepare chefs for success at making food tastey. Much like USC and LSU historically better prepare their coaches for success than Ole Miss.

Ole Miss isn't Alabama but they are historically a shitload better than they were when Ogeron was their. He did a really awful job. He was there for 3 years and couldn't win more than 4 games. And that was taking over a program that had been pretty solid for the last decade or so under Tubberville and especially Cutcliffe (whose firing is one of the dumber ones on recent memory). By winning percentage I'm pretty sure he's the worst coach they've ever had who got more than a year. I get that he talks funny and seems like a nice guy but he was an abject failure in his last stint as head coach and it was not Ole Miss' fault.

I'd agree he's probably earned a chance somewhere else, but doing well as an interim coach with a couple loaded teams doesn't prove he's going to do well as a full time head coach and a program LSU should be able to do a lot better than having to take that risk

curried lamb of God posted:

is Herman still our coach or can I chug this bottle of bleach now

Pretty much the only certain thing in this whole deal is Herman going somewhere else.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

MourningView posted:

Ole Miss isn't Alabama but they are historically a shitload better than they were when Ogeron was their. He did a really awful job. He was there for 3 years and couldn't win more than 4 games. And that was taking over a program that had been pretty solid for the last decade or so under Tubberville and especially Cutcliffe (whose firing is one of the dumber ones on recent memory). By winning percentage I'm pretty sure he's the worst coach they've ever had who got more than a year. I get that he talks funny and seems like a nice guy but he was an abject failure in his last stint as head coach and it was not Ole Miss' fault.

I'd agree he's probably earned a chance somewhere else, but doing well as an interim coach with a couple loaded teams doesn't prove he's going to do well as a full time head coach and a program LSU should be able to do a lot better than having to take that risk

I don't entirely disagree with you but he was coaching Ole Miss with LSU dominating the west, the resurgence of Bama and Auburn, and with a pretty good Arkansas program running.

I think Cutcliffe's success there (and his profoundly unfair firing) was an aberration. You had a generational QB (for OM) in Eli and the QB whisperer Cutcliffe. Tuberville has always been a pretty good coach and he did well there, but the program is historically mediocre.

Getting only 3 years at that kind of program is...well, pretty lovely.

MourningView posted:

Pretty much the only certain thing in this whole deal is Herman going somewhere else.

He's going to be terrifying if he goes to LSU.

I wonder if Texas has too many institutional problems to attract the modern, ultra control-freak coach.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

LeeMajors posted:

He's going to be terrifying if he goes to LSU.

I wonder if Texas has too many institutional problems to attract the modern, ultra control-freak coach.

They probably wouldn't take too kindly to his grill.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

pillsburysoldier posted:

Metal Gear Solid 2 is actually about texas football in the 2010s

has hideo confirmed this

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Frinkahedron posted:

has hideo confirmed this

it's only the parts about johnny

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

LeeMajors posted:

I don't entirely disagree with you but he was coaching Ole Miss with LSU dominating the west, the resurgence of Bama and Auburn, and with a pretty good Arkansas program running.

I think Cutcliffe's success there (and his profoundly unfair firing) was an aberration. You had a generational QB (for OM) in Eli and the QB whisperer Cutcliffe. Tuberville has always been a pretty good coach and he did well there, but the program is historically mediocre.

Getting only 3 years at that kind of program is...well, pretty lovely.

Saban was in the NFL for most of his time there, Bama was definitely not "resurgent". It wasn't anything close to what the West is now. His last year he finished last in a division where Sylvester loving Croom finished 3rd.

3 years might have been quick if he'd shown even the slightest improvement but he hadn't and he was also literally the worst coach in the history of the program. No one is claiming that it's an amazing program but he was substantially below even mediocre. They were the worst team in the SEC or close to it.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Some are doubling down that it's actually still Jimbo and this is a feint

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Someone on an Auburn board said that Jimbo asked for 6.5 mil a year to leave FSU.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
SEC schools would be far better off spending the money destroying Saban and his horcruxes

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

If only we could pay 4 million a year for like, Bret Beilema of Gus Malzahn instead.

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
So the solution is to pay someone 6 or 7 million a year to lose to Saban instead?

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

MourningView posted:

Saban was in the NFL for most of his time there, Bama was definitely not "resurgent". It wasn't anything close to what the West is now. His last year he finished last in a division where Sylvester loving Croom finished 3rd.

3 years might have been quick if he'd shown even the slightest improvement but he hadn't and he was also literally the worst coach in the history of the program. No one is claiming that it's an amazing program but he was substantially below even mediocre. They were the worst team in the SEC or close to it.

LSU was rolling during his tenure. Bama was 10-2 in 05, had a down year in 06 and Saban was hired in 07. Houston Nutt was still doing well at Arky. The west was no pushover and Ole Miss is historically bad.

They're paying loving Freeze 4m$ to finish last in the west.

I guess my point is that a historically bad program only giving a coach 3 years to work is....well, maybe a bit myopic.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Duckaerobics posted:

So the solution is to pay someone 6 or 7 million a year to lose to Saban instead?

Is there a trophy for most wins per dollar? Do I get the difference that the boosters save on a mediocre head coach? Why the gently caress do I care if boosters want to pay a bunch for the hottest head coach on the market this season? If high school coach Hugh Freeze can occasionally beat Saban why do we assume no one else can? Every coach in the SEC gets a lot of money to usually lose to Saban, whether it's 5 or 6 million doesn't seem all that meaningful to me, since it's not my money.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
it's a shame that the ole miss stuff is still such an albatross around Coach O's neck when both head stints he's had since then he's surpassed the conference wins he had there in a single year. He's clearly a different guy now. Much worse coaches have had more chances than people seem willing to give him.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
He should get another chance somewhere, it just shouldn't be a program like LSU that can do way better

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Look I think it'd be awesome and fun for him to coach a big-time program but If Coach O wants to become Head Coach O again maybe he should take an actual HC job at a smaller school again rather than trying to vulture his way into a top-tier program as a loving DL coach without proving himself over even the course of a single season.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

I don't understand why everyone keeps acting like being handed a team full of talent midway through the season is the same as being in charge of a program year round.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Roll Tide

I don't understand why everyone keeps acting like being handed a team full of talent midway through the season is the same as being in charge of a program year round.

Nobody does but Orgeron has a high floor with the offseason stuff. He was recruiter of the year like twice already.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

LeeMajors posted:

LSU was rolling during his tenure. Bama was 10-2 in 05, had a down year in 06 and Saban was hired in 07. Houston Nutt was still doing well at Arky. The west was no pushover and Ole Miss is historically bad.

They're paying loving Freeze 4m$ to finish last in the west.

I guess my point is that a historically bad program only giving a coach 3 years to work is....well, maybe a bit myopic.

Bama won 7 games in Saban's first year, it wasn't even close to what it would become. LSU was good but he wasn't just losing to them. He couldn't beat Sylvester Croom.

He was extemely bad by the standards of that program. Every program would be unhappy winning 3 or 4 games for three years in a row, especially one that tends to at least be a consistent bowl team. It's not like he was coaching Vandy or Iowa State.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Is there a trophy for most wins per dollar? Do I get the difference that the boosters save on a mediocre head coach? Why the gently caress do I care if boosters want to pay a bunch for the hottest head coach on the market this season? If high school coach Hugh Freeze can occasionally beat Saban why do we assume no one else can? Every coach in the SEC gets a lot of money to usually lose to Saban, whether it's 5 or 6 million doesn't seem all that meaningful to me, since it's not my money.

Calling Freeze a high school coach at this point is a little ridiculous. I'm pretty sure he hasn't been one in over 10 years.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Raku posted:

Nobody does but Orgeron has a high floor with the offseason stuff. He was recruiter of the year like twice already.

He recruited well at Ole Miss and his teams were still bad. There's more to it than just getting highly touted recruits. There's making sure you get the highly rated guys who actually fit what you're trying to do. There's picking coordinators that can do the job and fit what you're trying to do. There's picking assistants that can coach them up. There's managing players and keeping them on focus week after week. There's managing boosters and keeping money flowing into the program.

I'd like someone who has shown they can balance all of that to some degree to coach my football team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD

He recruited well at Ole Miss and his teams were still bad. There's more to it than just getting highly touted recruits. There's making sure you get the highly rated guys who actually fit what you're trying to do. There's picking coordinators that can do the job and fit what you're trying to do. There's picking assistants that can coach them up. There's managing players and keeping them on focus week after week. There's managing boosters and keeping money flowing into the program.

I'd like someone who has shown they can balance all of that to some degree to coach my football team.

it says here

*checks notes*

uhh it says here "tommy tubberville will be available"

• Locked thread