Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

That Ignorant Sap posted:

The Alternate Start expansion New Beginnings has been ported to SE.

so has Enhanced Lights and FX.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Transmetropolitan posted:

Hey there. First time playing Skyrim.

For a totally "optimized and properly fixed" vanilla experience, I have installed the mod manager, SKSE, USLEEP (with hi-res too), crash fixes and bug fixes by "meh" and SkyUI.

Am I doing this right?

It's really too bad there's not a multiple-page OP that two goons spent a long time working on that covers all this.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Onzu_r-O7YA

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Special Edition doesn't come with the original release, right? 'Cause it's kinda stupid for a consumer to be contemplating the cheaper, older release because of better (in this case modding) functionality.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
85 special edition mods and maybe 20 hours of gameplay and I had my first couple corrupted saves today. boo.

I'm having to be a bit more careful about multiple save slots now, but otherwise it seems to be back on track. I did the Mzfult mage guild quest and it was actually fairly fun. Still just a linear dungeon, but at least the theme was cool, and it had something of a puzzle at the end of it.

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

Agents are GO! posted:

It's really too bad there's not a multiple-page OP that two goons spent a long time working on that covers all this.

some of you dudes are real far up your asses for a thread about video game mods. couldn't you have just said "yeah, probably"?

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions

Rinkles posted:

Special Edition doesn't come with the original release, right? 'Cause it's kinda stupid for a consumer to be contemplating the cheaper, older release because of better (in this case modding) functionality.

Before release, anyone who had base + expansions got to upgrade free if they wanted. I picked up the older release a couple of weeks ago after reading up on it, didn't really see the point of paying an extra £20 for what basically amounts to some graphical improvements.

bunky posted:

some of you dudes are real far up your asses for a thread about video game mods. couldn't you have just said "yeah, probably"?

:lurkmore:

el dingo fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Nov 25, 2016

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

There should be a "READ THE OP" graphic reminiscent of the "USE NVAC" from the New Vegas thread.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

el dingo posted:

Before release, anyone who had base + expansions got to upgrade free if they wanted. I picked up the older release a couple of weeks ago after reading up on it, didn't really see the point of paying an extra £20 for what basically amounts to some graphical improvements.

Same, but you never know what the future holds. It's nice to have options.

But yeah, I ended up buying the regular version. I wasn't gonna pay $40 for Special-- I would've waited for a deal if it was worth it.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

There should be a "READ THE OP" graphic reminiscent of the "USE NVAC" from the New Vegas thread.

but the graphic would be in the OP that no one reads

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

GunnerJ: you should ask a mod to change the thread title to "Skyrim Modding: My ancestors read the OP, imperial. Can you say the same?!"

bunky posted:

I spent a good 12+ hours working on the OP before handing it off to GunnerJ due to some health issues. It's a bit frustrating when people not only don't read the OP, but don't even read any of the thread before posting.

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

Agents are GO! posted:

I spent a good 12+ hours working on the OP before handing it off to GunnerJ due to some health issues. It's a bit frustrating when people not only don't read the OP, but don't even read any of the thread before posting.

so is this something to jerk your dick about or a reference to help other people? if it's the latter, don't be a dong about a new Skyrim player popping in the thread with a simple question. obviously that dude read enough to pick a vanilla set of mods and was asking for input from more experienced modders.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
to be fair if you spent 12 hours working on a thread op you got no one to blame for yourself

thats likee spending 12 hours taking a poo poo and gettin' mad when no one wants to come over and look at it

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Agents are GO! posted:

GunnerJ: you should ask a mod to change the thread title to "Skyrim Modding: My ancestors read the OP, imperial. Can you say the same?!"

Done!

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

Just finished the Clockwork mod quests and I can say without a doubt that it's a great little quest series and a great house.

It frightened the dickens out of me when I was playing but that feeling when you don't have to be scared anymore because you saved a soul from being alone is great.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

SKSE plugins (like "Crash fixes") are fine to load with Mod Organizer, right?

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions

Agents are GO! posted:

Dunno why you're explaining yourself. 'Read the loving op, you prick', is a pretty standard and reasonable SA response

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

lol nice

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Rinkles posted:

SKSE plugins (like "Crash fixes") are fine to load with Mod Organizer, right?

Absolutely.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

bunky posted:

so is this something to jerk your dick about or a reference to help other people? if it's the latter, don't be a dong about a new Skyrim player popping in the thread with a simple question. obviously that dude read enough to pick a vanilla set of mods and was asking for input from more experienced modders.

I mean maybe if there wasn't a section that said Mandatory followed by one called Quality of Life in the OP which is specifically for what you're asking about. v:shobon:v

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Agents are GO! posted:

lol

I read the OP, but given the gigantic amount of "mandatory" fixes that it even says so there that is mandatory in the perspective of veteran modders, I presumed some weren't so essential at all for an absolute first timer?

Also, perhaps in the last update of the op or so might have been some novel info and I thought it would be polite to ask :v:

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

I read the OP, but given the gigantic amount of "mandatory" fixes that it even says so there that is mandatory in the perspective of veteran modders, I presumed some weren't so essential at all for an absolute first timer?
Also, perhaps in the last update of the op or so might have been some novel info and I thought it would be polite to ask :v:
My standard advice to someone completely new to modding and the game itself is to play the vanilla (unmodded) game for at least an hour or two. Just so that you can have a clear picture of what you want to add/chance/remove in your game. Then go over the OP and pick the stuff that sounds interesting or post "Hey, I'm looking for a mod that does X" when you can't find what you're looking for in the OP.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Nov 25, 2016

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

lol

LAST UPDATED: 10/26/2016

you must not understand how held together with duct tape and super glue skyrim is, yes those are 'mandatory' in that they're all bugfix mods or mods that you'll need if you have any intention to keep reading the OP. After that it's get what you want but if you don't have say, silent voice, you're gonna be like WHUA WHOA WHA WHY ISNT EVERYTHING SYNCING UP IN THIS BAD MOD and I can point to this 1 kb download and whisper "read the OP"

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

I read the OP, but given the gigantic amount of "mandatory" fixes that it even says so there that is mandatory in the perspective of veteran modders,

If just being someone's perspective is so suspicious to you, I'm not really sure what you're hoping to find. Nothing you're going to get from asking in the thread is anything other than a perspective, there is no objectively correct modding list.

That said, I wouldn't run Skyrim without anything in the Mandatory section. Which is why it's called that!

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

This is shaping up to be a hell of a day.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Well then, I'll drop it. Apologies for any trouble whatsoever.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Well then, I'll drop it. Apologies for any trouble whatsoever.

There's no trouble and nothing to drop tbh. It was just not clear what you were asking for confirmation of. Like I was pretty sure you'd read enough of the OP to know the "Mandatory" mods you had listed, but then again, it could be that you'd just downloaded some poo poo and wanted info that is in the OP already. So "there is a list of recommended must-have mods already!" is a reasonable response. If your question was based on not knowing how totally and completely needed for a minimal basic "fixed vanilla" run all the "Mandatory" mods are, saying so would make it clear that you're looking to minimize your mod list even more than that list.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Is it okay to ask for ENB recommendations?

Stuff like NLA is striking but changes the atmosphere of the game too much for me. Too bright and clear. Following advice from the NV thread, I tried using ENB exclusively for AO and shadows but I found the result a little too dark.

Anything out there that's atmospheric but doesn't mess with the original palette drastically? (Preferably without being a massive resource hog)

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

I dont use ENB for anything but enboost, but consider maybe using the Imaginator to tweak brightness/contrast/saturation, it uses in-engine mechanisms for doing so so has basically no performance impact.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Rinkles posted:

Is it okay to ask for ENB recommendations?

Stuff like NLA is striking but changes the atmosphere of the game too much for me. Too bright and clear. Following advice from the NV thread, I tried using ENB exclusively for AO and shadows but I found the result a little too dark.

Anything out there that's atmospheric but doesn't mess with the original palette drastically? (Preferably without being a massive resource hog)

I really like RealVision in conjunction with Climates of Tamriel. It's a very nice boost that still looks vanilla-esque, and the installer gives you options on how crazy you want to get with it. A general problem with ENBs imo is that most of them have been made to look as pretty as possible in screenshots, but in motion they tend to be way too distracting (looking at you DoF).

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

GunnerJ posted:

There's no trouble and nothing to drop tbh. It was just not clear what you were asking for confirmation of. Like I was pretty sure you'd read enough of the OP to know the "Mandatory" mods you had listed, but then again, it could be that you'd just downloaded some poo poo and wanted info that is in the OP already. So "there is a list of recommended must-have mods already!" is a reasonable response. If your question was based on not knowing how totally and completely needed for a minimal basic "fixed vanilla" run all the "Mandatory" mods are, saying so would make it clear that you're looking to minimize your mod list even more than that list.

Alright, sorry for not being clearer. I really did not know how badly strung together Skyrim is even after all these years, so, like you said, I thought I could trim down to a sort of "truly essential fixes" to not add much more stuff. My impression was that by some mod descriptions a couple of those could mess with the game more than just fixing it, so I thought it would be better to ask about it.

Funnily enough, even with those fundamental fixes, I started the game, the cart flipped over at the beginning and got stuck sideways on a rock :v:

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Alright, sorry for not being clearer. I really did not know how badly strung together Skyrim is even after all these years, so, like you said, I thought I could trim down to a sort of "truly essential fixes" to not add much more stuff. My impression was that by some mod descriptions a couple of those could mess with the game more than just fixing it, so I thought it would be better to ask about it.

Now that I know that, it makes sense. From my perspective what Raygereio said is true enough but I'd still rather not do without some things even on a bare minimal modded run. The stuff you asked about for example. Otherwise: one of the Brawl Bugs fixing mods, Wiseman303's Flora Fixes, Weapons and Armor Fixes - Remade and Clothing and Clutter Fixes, Enchantment Reload Fix, and Fuz Ro D-oh - Silent Voice.

quote:

Funnily enough, even with those fundamental fixes, I started the game, the cart flipped over at the beginning and got stuck sideways on a rock :v:

Ah, I see you haven't installed the essential "Cart fixes" mod (otherwise known as alternate start mods :v: )

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

That initial cart ride is everything about Skyrim writ small. Kind of impressive-looking when it works right, with a tendency to ABSOLUTELY FLIP OUT for no clear reason.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

bunky posted:

Filthy imperial spotted.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

This is actually a modding rite of passage. You are now One Of Us.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Yep, welcome to Hell!

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Hey, another modding newbie popped his/her cherry! Welcome to the thread!

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

Does anyone know if there's a mod that simulates seasonal changes in Skyrim? If not, is Purity or Climates of Tamriel recommended if I want a snowier Skyrim?

I'm specifically not looking for a survival or needs simulation mod, even if they implement a snowier climate.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Gyre posted:

Does anyone know if there's a mod that simulates seasonal changes in Skyrim? If not, is Purity or Climates of Tamriel recommended if I want a snowier Skyrim?

I'm specifically not looking for a survival or needs simulation mod, even if they implement a snowier climate.

Seasonal change is kind of a no go because you'd actually need different versions of the entire overworld, I think. Dunno how to make things snowier but there are mods that will beef up the various storms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

GunnerJ posted:

Seasonal change is kind of a no go because you'd actually need different versions of the entire overworld, I think.
I wished they developed that seasonal foliage thing from Skyrim's gamejam video. It was just a 7 second clip, so we have no idea if that was an actually working system or if it was just quick mockup that couldn't work for the entire gameworld, but it looked neat.

Speaking of that gamejam video. It also featured a flow-based shader for rivers. I guess that finally made it into the game with the Special Edition.