Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I'd say it depends more on the background of the person and where they live with an extremely complicated and hard to predict series of variables.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Tias posted:

Not really going to argue that it wasn't, but this really depends on who you are and where you were located. The eastern front solidified Stalins brutal dictatorship, and you could just as well say that it was well the Germans fought them

Ummm given the Nazis' plans for the East if they won, I would really, really dispute that. Your average Russian had the choice of a pretty lovely dictatorship that was at least his country's dictatorship, for about the next decade before the Krushchev thaw, or literal intentional starvation/annihilation/enslavement under a thousand year reich. It's a lovely choice but one side is still clearly better than the other.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

my dad posted:

No, not really. If anything, chickenhawk ratings go up fairly quickly with moderate levels of knowledge about war.

where are you getting this from?

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

feedmegin posted:

Ummm given the Nazis' plans for the East if they won, I would really, really dispute that. Your average Russian had the choice of a pretty lovely dictatorship that was at least his country's dictatorship, for about the next decade before the Krushchev thaw, or literal intentional starvation/annihilation/enslavement under a thousand year reich. It's a lovely choice but one side is still clearly better than the other.

Sure, but the soviet union falling and Germany losing as well would be even better. Also, that doesn't address China, betraying Poland etc.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

The best way to fight in an aircraft is to shoot your service revolver out of the cockpit like some kind of aerial drive by.

No, the best way to fight in an aircraft is to fly it above something else and then drop big metal lawn darts over the side

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
No one posted the best angle of the Canadian bi-plane. It looks just like a late 30s mono-plane just with an extra wing bolted on!

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

feedmegin posted:

No matter how bad Stalin got, he was just an extremely ruthless and powerful dictator over a large population. While this is bad, what Hitler would have done if given the chance would have been so much worse. It is this distinction that is important when it comes to World War II. The Allies were mostly in it for self preservation and did many morally questionable and worse acts in the course of the war, the Axis powers were just so much worse.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

bewbies posted:

where are you getting this from?

I guess I phrased it like it was some kind of statistic, but it was just a joking way of talking about personal experience with people who know something, but not much about war. The most jingoistic non-military people I've met are dudes who amateurishly nerd out about military stuff.

(the most jingoistic military people I've met are desk-job officers)

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Tias posted:

Sure, but the soviet union falling and Germany losing as well would be even better. Also, that doesn't address China, betraying Poland etc.

I am specifically talking about the Soviet Union, sure, but 'the Soviet Union falls because alien space bats and then Germany loses' isn't really an option. A Germany that rules Europe from Brest to the Urals has won and night falls across the continent. D-Day was hard enough in real life, and that was with 2/3rds of the German army in the East. There is no good option for Poland in either scenario, because just like Russia was going to have a real bad time if things had gone the other way, so was the General Government. Sorry, what happened historically is the least bad even vaguely realistically available option for that part of the world.

As for China, not really my field, but I would at least question whether a Kuomintang dictatorship and/or a reversion to the warlord period would exactly be wine and roses, either.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

my dad posted:

I guess I phrased it like it was some kind of statistic, but it was just a joking way of talking about personal experience with people who know something, but not much about war. The most jingoistic non-military people I've met are dudes who amateurishly nerd out about military stuff.

(the most jingoistic military people I've met are desk-job officers)

Yeah this tallies well with my experience also. Every military game is filled with usernames like SSKampfFuhrer. Tank forums are full of breathless speculation about what tanks the Abrams can beat in a fight. Even stuff like Dan Carlin's forums were, when I was there, populated with threads like "hey China is like Nazi Germany, we should attack pre-emptively before it's too late!"

Indeed I totally think that Trump (favourite generals: Macarthur and Patton, lover of the Surprise Attack) is one of these guys.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Nov 25, 2016

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Tias posted:

And? The betrayal of Poland was disgusting, but what could the Western powers have done about it? The aftermath of the fighting of WWII and the deals required to have it end in an an Allied victory could be quite horrifying, but an Axis victory would have been worse. This thread as a whole generally agrees that the Axis had very little chance of actually winning, but that is only because the Allied powers did everything they could to achieve victory.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

my dad posted:

No, not really. If anything, chickenhawk ratings go up fairly quickly with moderate levels of knowledge about war.

A little learning is a dangerous thing

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Tias posted:

Once the Soviet Union falls in your scenario, the Germans begin (or rather just up the scale) of their extermination programs. Tens of millions will die before the Western Allies will be able to land in Europe, tens more will die before Germany is defeated. There is no way in which your scenario is better.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

The pacifist perspective on the Second World War is (and was) pretty interesting. People often talk about war fatigue in Vietnam or even now, but Christ almighty - that alone explains between the war pacifism and appeasement. At the time, another war against just another bad guy, especially when it *seems* that he just wants to restore Germany to pre Versailles status - maybe that war seems pointless to fight. In the early and mid thirties a lot of people had heard that before. Heard worse, in fact - the Hun rapes babies, so what's a little broken glass? The reality of the situation was unknown or even unknowable to people for a while - and by the time all those signs that seem so clear to us had aligned, it was too late for pacifism.

Even if that was all it ever was it's still a difficult argument to put forward, saying "we can sacrifice X to save us because war would be worse". It's a difficult one unless you're the generation after a hugely horrifically destructive and pointless war. For all that you can (wrongly) argue that the First World War maybe had some kind of point, I don't think it mattered to the people of 1939. If you've just lived through the war to end all wars and then smacked into a period of economic depression, what would you do to avoid that happening again? What would you do to stop your kids going through the same privations you did? Knowing truly that every promise had been broken and that the land fit for heroes had turned into dole queues and a pittance of a pension, Or to avoid your son having to slog through the western front again, when you know by god you were lucky to come back, and there's no way that luck strikes twice and sometimes in the middle of the night you still see Bob swinging in the breeze on the line and you can taste the gas again....

But still, retroactively it is the quintessential anti-pacifist argument. Every single time I talked about conscientious objection, and I must have given that talk more than 100 times all over Britain, someone would ask "what would you do about hitler". Not a difficult question to answer when you've just been talking about the First World War - guy was just another soldier - but largely I'll talk about that post-war retrospective argument, and the fact that the hardcore pacifists would argue that "wars will cease when men refuse to fight" - pacifist action doesn't come in the last few days before the war, but in the months and years preceding it.

Anyway - I'm not sure i believe any of that at all anymore. Maybe it's just going to happen and all we can do is refuse.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Ensign Expendable posted:

Once the Soviet Union falls in your scenario, the Germans begin (or rather just up the scale) of their extermination programs. Tens of millions will die before the Western Allies will be able to land in Europe, tens more will die before Germany is defeated. There is no way in which your scenario is better.

You're also assuming Russia doesn't just relapse into USSR v2 or worse, Nazi Russia a few years later, on the slogan of 'make Russia strong so this never happens again'.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Get the kid Armoured Champion. Schwerpunkt is pretty dry for a teenager.

That was the title I was trying to remember in the back of my head as I was reading through the thread.

Seconding this.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

When you get into the idea of making war on people who are already making war in an attempt to mitigate the damage that they're causing with their war, you start getting into this calculus of lives wherein all variables are hidden so you can only speculate on what they could be. It's way easier to focus on literally anything else, from the high-minded philosophy of what reason the people die for to the practicals of diplomatic obligations and economic opportunities.

It's why most people prefer to pave over all the politics of WW2 with "the holocaust was bad."

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Crazycryodude posted:

Yeah it's pretty ironic that that one of the most horrible wars mankind has ever fought is also one of the few that I think were completely justified.

This doesn't quite make sense to me. How can a war be "justified" when a war has at least two sides in it? Or were they all justified in everything that they did? You cannot possibly mean that, but then what does it mean?

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

SlothfulCobra posted:

When you get into the idea of making war on people who are already making war in an attempt to mitigate the damage that they're causing with their war, you start getting into this calculus of lives wherein all variables are hidden so you can only speculate on what they could be. It's way easier to focus on literally anything else, from the high-minded philosophy of what reason the people die for to the practicals of diplomatic obligations and economic opportunities.

It's why most people prefer to pave over all the politics of WW2 with "the holocaust was bad."

I mean, the thing is we do have 20-20 hindsight that the holocaust was bad.

But, I think Lenoon is also right that pacifism is a long-term process, rather than a singular decision on a given war.

Well What Now
Nov 10, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Shredded Hen

Fangz posted:

Indeed I totally think that Trump (favourite generals: Macarthur and Patton, lover of the Surprise Attack) is one of these guys.

Patton would've totally skullfucked Trump if they ever met.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I think the point I would make regarding WWII is that the way it is presented is typically the least useful and relevant one. It is almost entirely impossible that the US would find itself in the same position as WWII America or Britain in the near future. Yet both the media and politicians continue to portray minor states like Iran or North Korea as the Next Hitler and themselves - ludicrously - as Churchill. Any near future conflict would really really not look like that.

And those who would argue that the country engage in ever greater military build-ups, or to purge various 'weaknesses' to prepare for the retread of 1939-1945 never stop to wonder what prevents the US from being the bad guys the next time round.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

I am not positing a scenario, so that makes no sense. I am just saying that world war 2 was not stopping the holodomor and shoah and freeing the philipines and giving everybody wine and roses - it was a lot of horrible, hinky poo poo, and not only done by axis powers. Saying the war is just rings too much of justifying what was done in it to me.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Well What Now posted:

Patton would've totally skullfucked Trump if they ever met.

Really? Trump is a homeless veteran?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Tias posted:

I am not positing a scenario, so that makes no sense. I am just saying that world war 2 was not stopping the holodomor and shoah and freeing the philipines and giving everybody wine and roses - it was a lot of horrible, hinky poo poo, and not only done by axis powers. Saying the war is just rings too much of justifying what was done in it to me.

Given that the holodomor happened a decade prior, I don't exactly see what your point is.

Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

Tias posted:

Saying a war is just or justified does not endorse everything that was done in it, and you will never ever have a war in which you can be completely morally fine with everything that happened it, doesn't stop the war itself from being justified in being fought. You cannot apply judgement to the people that fought to defeat Hitler just because in doing so they enabled Stalin to remain in power (in itself a questionable point), they don't share culpability in what he did because of that.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

sullat posted:

Really? Trump is a homeless veteran?

I'm pretty sure MacArthur was the one gleefully eager to kick the poo poo out of WW1 veterans struggling with poverty. Unless Patton was driving one of the armoured cars that did that.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
This reminds me that there's a polish kid at my forum arguing that Hitler's worst mistake was not allying Poland in some sort of bizarro Polandball logic.

He also happens to describe the Red Army soldiers in Poland as acting like "beasts" like their savagery stood out in comparison to the Germans, so I'm a little suspicious even if he's critical of the current Polish government.

Well What Now
Nov 10, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Shredded Hen

SeanBeansShako posted:

I'm pretty sure MacArthur was the one gleefully eager to kick the poo poo out of WW1 veterans struggling with poverty. Unless Patton was driving one of the armoured cars that did that.

Patton was on his staff at the time and, IIRC, was pretty "uhhh..." about the whole thing.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I finally finished this thing for new kid:

it remains to be seen how much it may or may not influence his chickenhawk jingoistic tendencies

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Well What Now posted:

Patton was on his staff at the time and, IIRC, was pretty "uhhh..." about the whole thing.

Well the dude was a WW1 veteran himself.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

bewbies posted:

it remains to be seen how much it may or may not influence his chickenhawk jingoistic tendencies

20 years from now he'll be lying on a psychiatrist's couch complaining of nightmares of being strafed and bombed.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Well What Now posted:

He was there, too. MacArthur, Patton and Eisenhower v. the Bonus army.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

sullat posted:

He was there, too. MacArthur, Patton and Eisenhower v. the Bonus army.

The most awkward of reunions.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Well What Now posted:

No, that was Eisenhower. Patton was in fact the guy commanding the armored cavalry, and IIRC he was pretty enthusiastic about it.

Well What Now
Nov 10, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Shredded Hen

Acebuckeye13 posted:

No, that was Eisenhower. Patton was in fact the guy commanding the armored cavalry, and IIRC he was pretty enthusiastic about it.

Not exactly:

quote:

Patton was dissatisfied with MacArthur's conduct, as he recognized the legitimacy of the veterans' complaints and had himself earlier refused to issue the order to employ armed force to disperse the veterans. Patton later stated that, though he found the duty "most distasteful", he also felt that putting the marchers down prevented an insurrection and saved lives and property. He personally led the 3rd Cavalry down Pennsylvania Avenue, dispersing the protesters.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I can't imagine Patton not being enthusiastic about commanding the armored anything

e:

bewbies posted:

This is lovely

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Tias posted:

Then what were you doing when you mentioned the fall of the Soviet Union?

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

bewbies posted:

Don't see any German planes so at least you're not setting the kid up to be a Wehraboo.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

married but discreet posted:

Don't see any German planes so at least you're not setting the kid up to be a Wehraboo.

And really, that's the most important part of anyone's history education.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

married but discreet posted:

It's almost like the german planes got shot the gently caress down by the Hurricane and the Lavochkins.

Naturally the I-16 is just playing in the clouds :3: