Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

You have some confusion about female anatomy if you think loving a sidesaddle pommel would be fun or even possible.

Probably more confusion over the anatomy of a sidesaddle pommel, I didn't even know that was a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I don't think it would be possible to ride a horse like that without something to hold you up there.

Sideriding is usually portrayed as stereotypically feminine and easy in fiction, but from what I gather, it is a proper core workout.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
Yeah, I've seen horses in movies and rode them maybe twice. All I know is that you lean forward going uphill and back going downhill, and that they poop a lot. I was just goofing on the big ol' dong sticking out of the machine.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

While female vikings wasn't the norm, they probably did exist. The Gesta Danorum for example tells of female viking who led a fleet of viking ships https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rusla
There has also been found graves where women were buried with weapons, like this one (the woman was buried with a male slave who was sacrificed when she was buried):

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Alhazred posted:

While female vikings wasn't the norm, they probably did exist. The Gesta Danorum for example tells of female viking who led a fleet of viking ships https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rusla
There has also been found graves where women were buried with weapons, like this one (the woman was buried with a male slave who was sacrificed when she was buried):

Was he squished to death with those rocks because jeez

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Was he squished to death with those rocks because jeez

I think they put the rocks there so that nosy people don't dig up their graves.

Buckets
Apr 10, 2009

...THE CHILD...

Rutibex posted:

I think they put the rocks there so that nosy people don't dig up their graves.

It's to keep the more rambunctious skeletons from running amok while they work.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

There's always some jokester who thinks it would be funny to cast Raise Dead during a dig

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
The dead should stay dead. :colbert:

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
IIRC the intent of the boulders was to keep the soul from escaping. Gotta make sure your slaves can't run away in the afterlife I guess.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Alhazred posted:

Yeah they weren't probably unheard of but they would have been extremely rare. The weapons thing isn't a good indicator like actual damage to a person's bones are though. Rich people were usually buried with the trappings of battle and wealth regardless of their profession. So if you were a rich farmer, regardless of your gender or age, you'd probably be buried with nice clothes and lots of weapons. Sacrifice in Norse culture was usually an expression of wealth (both literal and metaphorical sacrifice). When Norse leaders gathered on a yearly basis the richest men would compete in the most noble of Viking sports: Horse Fighting!

You see, horses were really expensive, so if you were hot poo poo you put your really cool horse in a small pit with another guys really cool horse and then watched them trample each other to death. The guy who's horse died last (because they assuredly both died) won fame and sometimes money from gambling! And yes, if you know where to look you can still find the remains of horse fighting pits since the fields where the ancient Norse held their things are still mostly around.

Killing slaves also tied into the symbols of Norse culture. People who were slaves or indentured servants (both were in high quantity in the economically sparse Norse countries) were seen as being tied in service to their owners. Becoming a slave or servant was seen as a sign of ultimate weakness, you had basically sacrificed your free will by either losing your freedom in combat or by having to willingly give it up due to economic worries. The idea was that you had traded your free will for the privilege to keep living and that privileged could be revoked.

But, like, also people mostly did it to show how wealthy they were.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
I'd never heard of Norse Horse Fighting before. That's amazing.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Icelandic_horse

quote:

Courting between young men and women was also common at horse fights.

"hey baby, wanna go watch two stallions battle to the death in a pit?"
"oh thorvald I thought you'd never ask!"

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

C.M. Kruger posted:

"hey baby, wanna go watch two stallions battle to the death in a pit?"
"oh thorvald I thought you'd never ask!"

Is it bad that I can really imagine the atmosphere and chants and everything.

"gently caress him up you silver hoofed Thralls daughter!"

Also I bet they used the horse meat afterwards.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Josef bugman posted:

Also I bet they used the horse meat afterwards.

Americans are pretty unique in their aversion for horsemeat. Sausage made of horse for example is pretty common in Norway:

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Yeah they weren't probably unheard of but they would have been extremely rare.
Its kinda hard to say really considering the vikings themselves didn't write anything and only important people got fancy graves. But some of the people they raided tell of women vikings:

Saxo Grammaticus posted:

Now out of the town of Sle, under the captains Hetha (Heid) and Wisna, with Hakon Cut-cheek came Tummi the Sailmaker. On these captains, who had the bodies of women, nature bestowed the souls of men. Webiorg was also inspired with the same spirit, and was attended by Bo (Bui) Bramason and Brat the Jute, thirsting for war.

Alhazred has a new favorite as of 22:55 on Nov 25, 2016

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Alhazred posted:

Americans are pretty unique in their aversion for horsemeat. Sausage made of horse for example is pretty common in Norway:

"They eat it in Norway" isn't a particularly strong recommendation.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
It's common in a country with 5 million people, so obviously the country of 300 million is the outlier.

Horse meat is not nearly as much of a taboo in Europe as it is in America, but it certainly isn't common, except maybe very rarely regionally. I sometimes buy horse wursts, but they are a very nche product that lots of people wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Deteriorata posted:

Oddly enough it used to be very popular in the North of England. Except they changed the name for the meat to "kicker".

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Deteriorata posted:

Americans really lives in glasshouses when it comes to the topic of disgusting food:

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
edit: nvm

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

America is the leading producer of horse meat iirc. They just export it all to Japan, Mexico and Europe. I ate raw horse in Japan. It's good.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Alhazred posted:

Americans really lives in glasshouses when it comes to the topic of disgusting food:

Racist.

canis minor
May 4, 2011

C.M. Kruger posted:

IIRC the intent of the boulders was to keep the soul from escaping. Gotta make sure your slaves can't run away in the afterlife I guess.

I read that as "the internet of boulders wants to keep the soul from escaping" and was thinking I was in the middle of IoT thread.

Thanks to this intermission about horse meat I learned that salami isn't made from donkeys, as I've always thought. I don't even know where this idea came from - it was always - salami = donkey meat.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

canis minor posted:

I read that as "the internet of boulders wants to keep the soul from escaping" and was thinking I was in the middle of IoT thread.

Thanks to this intermission about horse meat I learned that salami isn't made from donkeys, as I've always thought. I don't even know where this idea came from - it was always - salami = donkey meat.

Maybe you at some point crossed wires with burrito (literally "small donkey")?

Not that burritos & salami are similar, but they're foodstuffs that have romance names so :shrug: it happens

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Not historical, but there's a very good reason horse is not sold for consumption in the US. In many countries in Europe, particularly the EU, horses have a medical passport that follows them their whole lives. When they travel, are seen by a vet or given medication (particularly painkillers, antibiotics, and hormones), it's noted in their passport. When a horse is old or no longer useful, it can be taken to the slaughter house, it is inspected to be healthy, you say goodbye, hand the guy the passport, and the horse is led away, stunned and bled out in a qualified and rigorously inspected facility, is processed and enters the food stream. The owner receives a small amount of cash.

http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_IP-14-1000_en.htm

In Mexican horse slaughter, slaughter buyers attend auctions in the US where horses are sold cheaply with little to no documentation. This includes sick, underfed, dehydrated, and drugged horses. Horses that have been used as broodmares and are full of artificial hormones to induce ovulation, horses pumped full of painkillers and antibiotics in order to get them to stand and walk, and horses suffering from wounds, illnesses, deformities, and other inflictions, not to mention the stress of being forced through a livestock auction house.

The horses are bought for pennies on the pound, and sometimes loaded onto illegal double decker cattle trailers, where they can not stand straight, are not divided from other animals, and will stand in those trailers for days with minimal, if any, food or water as they travel. Their only shelter is the trailer, they are not let out until transport is completed.They will be transported over the border (with minimal inspection), where it will be claimed they are going to be pastured and resold. They are then taken to slaughterhouses, run individually through chutes built for cattle, then struck in the head with a captive bolt device to stun them, if not simply shot in the head. Then the animal is bled and processed.

If you want to eat horse in the US, the best and most legal way is to buy a living horse and slaughter it yourself for personal use. Eating horse from Mexico or even Canada can mean you are eating an animal of questionable origin. So if you like mare hormones and Phenylbutazone, go for it.

Baron Corbyn posted:

America is the leading producer of horse meat iirc. They just export it all to Japan, Mexico and Europe. I ate raw horse in Japan. It's good.

Mexico is the leading producer and exporter of horse meat. Japan has domestic horse slaughter, generally of race and competitive draft (ban'ei) horses.

Edit: huh, not Mexico anymore. China loves them their hoofstock.

\/Only the finest euro eugenic horse meat for you goon sir. Thousands of years of breeding to turn a terrified herd animal into a kiddie ride. \/\/

Suspect Bucket has a new favorite as of 20:01 on Nov 26, 2016

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Suspect Bucket posted:

Not historical, but there's a very good reason horse is not sold for consumption in the US. In many countries in Europe, particularly the EU, horses have a medical passport that follows them their whole lives. When they travel, are seen by a vet or given medication (particularly painkillers, antibiotics, and hormones), it's noted in their passport. When a horse is old or no longer useful, it can be taken to the slaughter house, it is inspected to be healthy, you say goodbye, hand the guy the passport, and the horse is led away, stunned and bled out in a qualified and rigorously inspected facility, is processed and enters the food stream. The owner receives a small amount of cash.

Is that really all horses in Europe, or only those involved in weird horse eugenics programs?

I mean you could probably have a field of "horses" that don't qualify as "strict nazi horses" & so use them for meat – instead of the aryan horses I mean uhm the Arabiaoh goddamnit.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Suspect Bucket posted:

Mexico is the leading producer and exporter of horse meat. Japan has domestic horse slaughter, generally of race and competitive draft (ban'ei) horses.

\/Only the finest euro eugenic horse meat for you goon sir. Thousands of years of breeding to turn a terrified herd animal into a kiddie ride. \/\/

Apparently it's China with Mexico 3rd and the US 4th. Kazakhstan 2nd.

Any non-vegetarian who lived or ate anything in the UK pre-2013 has also most likely consumed horse. And not the good kind for all the reasons you mentioned. There was also pork found in beef which didn't go down well with the Muslim or Jewish communities.

Does 2013 count for the purposes of historical fun facts. If so, in 2013 up to 37% of beef products in the U.K. were really horse.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
drat, now I want to try some horse.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Baron Corbyn posted:

Apparently it's China with Mexico 3rd and the US 4th. Kazakhstan 2nd.

Any non-vegetarian who lived or ate anything in the UK pre-2013 has also most likely consumed horse. And not the good kind for all the reasons you mentioned. There was also pork found in beef which didn't go down well with the Muslim or Jewish communities.

Does 2013 count for the purposes of historical fun facts. If so, in 2013 up to 37% of beef products in the U.K. were really horse.

of course ive ate horse, hidden in some cheap burger. this is standard life in the world.

i wanna eat horse while i know it, or a dog.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
It's not really America though. The prohibition came from a papal bull in 732 by Pope Gregory III to discourage a pagan practice of consuming horse meat in rituals.

Now obviously, today, no one gives a poo poo about what the Pope in the 8th century thinks but it's a major reason for the western reluctance to eat it.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Why are papal bulls called that anyway?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Baron Corbyn posted:

I assume it's the same root as bulletin.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Baron Corbyn posted:

it means something like a "declaration" but i really dunno. my guess is it means like "massive like a bull" or "push through like a bull" or "dont loving piss off the pope"

something like that

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
The signet used to push a seal into wax is called a bulla, it got shortened to bull in English.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Powaqoatse posted:

it means something like a "declaration" but i really dunno. my guess is it means like "massive like a bull" or "push through like a bull" or "dont loving piss off the pope"

something like that

I just looked up the etymology. It's from Latin "bulla" meaning "document." Bulletin is a French form meaning a small document.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Deteriorata posted:

I just looked up the etymology. It's from Latin "bulla" meaning "document." Bulletin is a French form meaning a small document.

thanks!! but welp that is the boringest word now

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Prep The Bull (the one banning eating horse meat)

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

steinrokkan posted:

I don't think it would be possible to ride a horse like that without something to hold you up there.

Sideriding is usually portrayed as stereotypically feminine and easy in fiction, but from what I gather, it is a proper core workout.

Riding aside will really work you out, yes.

I showed sidesaddle for years. Once you learn how to properly balance and sit, you're fine. I had mine rebuilt from a relic from 1880s Oklahoma "Indian Territory" model. It had a single horn, the upper one, which most people will tell you is dangerous. I was a dumb kid and didn't know any better, so I was OK. Adults who knew what they were doing were panicked by the idea. Years later a horse trainer friend had trouble with it, even though she'd trained world champions.

I kept and rode with mine in costume classes for years, until it was stolen, probably by my junkie ex-niece. Stole my silver -trimmed Western show saddle, coin collection, and some tools, too, the bitch.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Powaqoatse posted:

Is that really all horses in Europe, or only those involved in weird horse eugenics programs?

I mean you could probably have a field of "horses" that don't qualify as "strict nazi horses" & so use them for meat – instead of the aryan horses I mean uhm the Arabiaoh goddamnit.

The main industry is in Ireland, the UK and France (but I don't know how their industry works). You have your hardy outdoor cobs, those are bred for hacking, and specifically for meat. These horses might never be in a stable. Then you have your pretty dainty clippy cloppy horses for racing or showing and whatnot. 99% of them end up at the knackers yard and then on to the food chain no matter how expensive and pure-bred they are because, have you ever had to try and dispose of a dead horse?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The Castro assassination attempts:
Poisoned face lotion: One of Castro's mistresses smuggled poisonous pills in face lotion but the pills dissolved and the attempt failed because she realized that feeding Castro face lotion probably wouldn't work.
Poisoned wetsuit: Castro enjoyed diving and the CIA planned to give him a wetsuit as a diplomatic gift during the negotiations to the release of the Bay of Pigs prisoners. It was to be laced with bacteria and spores. It failed because the diplomat gave him another suit.
Exploding conch shell: When the plot to give him the wetsuit failed the CIA planned to kill Castro with an exploding conch shell.
Exploding cigar: The CIA actually got as far as to proposition a police officer to give him an exploding cigar when Castro visited the UN in 1960.
Thallium poisoning: Briefly mistaking Castro for the biblical Samson the CIA believed they could conquer Castro by poisoning him with thallium which would make his beard fall off. It failed because even the CIA realized how silly it was.
Poisoned milkshake: This actually almost succeeded. Castro loving loved milkshake and in 1963 the CIA decided to use this against him. They gave the pills to a Cuban official named Juan Orta who successfully smuggled it into the Havana Hilton. It failed when the pills got stuck in the freezer and when the waiter tried to hack them loose the pills were destroyed.