Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cascade Jones
Jun 6, 2015
There's the Armor Bears of New Kyoto, which also houses the largest Buddha in the Inner Sphere. So there's biological and constructed wonders on the same planet!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Battletech would be a great setting for a 4x game, wouldn't it.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Defiance Industries posted:

What would the wonders of the Inner Sphere be, anyway? Stuff from the Sol System is off-limits. Off the top of my head, there's DefHes, the NAIS, the dinosaurs of Caph and Bountiful Harvest, a planet that's 70% arable land.

Most of them would be critters. The grues from that one planet, the SloMos of Towne (also dinosaurs), the Armor Bears, the Branth, the dragon thing I can never remember the name of.

Then you'd get the architecturally fantastic: Marik and Liao palace complexes, the various DCMS Temples, plus the Imperial City on Luthien, the historic reeducation camps, the giant loving Smoke Jaguar statue on Huntress, etc.

Last you'd have the SLDF ruins like the surviving forts on Northwind, New St. Andrews, and Outreach, but those would probably be findable wonders rather than buildable ones.

sebmojo posted:

Battletech would be a great setting for a 4x game, wouldn't it.

It really, really would. I call my dream BattleTech 4X "Star Lord," it's basically Crusader Kings 2 with standing armies and more logistics where the biggest enemy is really attrition: you have to not only launch attacks to appease your vassals/superiors while defending your space nation (or section of your space nation if you're playing a minor) without losing too many forces. Ideally big gains shouldn't be unusual and success / marriage should propel you upward through the ranks of nobility until you're basically Michael Hasek-Davion in position to take over if all goes well, assuming you didn't start as the head of a Great House and dot dot dot.

But I have no programming ability and the license is in hell. Maybe we'll get lucky and HBS's BattleTech will do well enough that Microsoft will offer them the license directly when PGI goes tits up and Isildur can pass this idea along to his bosses.

I will say the temptation exists for me to make the galaxy map a bit more 4X-y if I ever do a new AU.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Nov 24, 2016

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Paradox are the de facto kings of grand strategy and so I would trust them to make a game like that, but given their business model we wouldn't get the Clan Invasion DLC until about eight months after release :v:

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

PoptartsNinja posted:

Most of them would be critters. The grues from that one planet, the SloMos of Towne (also dinosaurs), the Armor Bears, the Branth, the dragon thing I can never remember the name of.

Then you'd get the architecturally fantastic: Marik and Liao palace complexes, the various DCMS Temples, plus the Imperial City on Luthien, the historic reeducation camps, the giant loving Smoke Jaguar statue on Huntress, etc.

Last you'd have the SLDF ruins like the surviving forts on Northwind, New St. Andrews, and Outreach, but those would probably be findable wonders rather than buildable ones.

If you're including the Clan homeworlds then you throw in the Mercer building on New Kent. It was probably destroyed when Clan Steel Viper was annihilated, but before that it was the tallest free-standing structure in human space, as far as I know (at 1000 meters tall).

quote:

It really, really would. I call my dream BattleTech 4X "Star Lord," it's basically Crusader Kings 2 with standing armies and more logistics where the biggest enemy is really attrition: you have to not only launch attacks to appease your vassals/superiors while defending your space nation (or section of your space nation if you're playing a minor) without losing too many forces. Ideally big gains shouldn't be unusual and success / marriage should propel you upward through the ranks of nobility until you're basically Michael Hasek-Davion in position to take over if all goes well, assuming you didn't start as the head of a Great House and dot dot dot.

But I have no programming ability and the license is in hell. Maybe we'll get lucky and HBS's BattleTech will do well enough that Microsoft will offer them the license directly when PGI goes tits up and Isildur can pass this idea along to his bosses.

I will say the temptation exists for me to make the galaxy map a bit more 4X-y if I ever do a new AU.

Archon Scott Steiner: tall, strong, lustful, wroth. HOLLA IF YA HEAR ME

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Somewhat sadly/hilariously, Scott Steiner wouldn't be appreciably crazier than the average Inner Sphere house lord. His mind even operates on statistics like a Battletech style computer.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

There can never be too many Space Feudalism settings, Game of Thrones made Noble Houses squabbling for the throne hip again, and designing a setting from scratch for 4X/Grand Strategy purposes would make it an easier fit. I'd say you could execute the "Star Lord" idea without the Battletech license well enough.

Maybe turn the usual pattern on its head and go for a medieval people experiencing a hyper-accelerated renaissance from discovering the remnants of alien technology, to achieve the same scavenger knight vibe of techno-mysticism without having to repeat "advanced society collapses into dark age".

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

PoptartsNinja posted:

Every time someone asks the HBS guys if there's any chance Microsoft will sell them the Battletech licence they burst into tears of legitimate laughter.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Alchenar posted:

Every time someone asks the HBS guys if there's any chance Microsoft will sell them the Battletech licence they burst into tears of legitimate laughter.

I didn't say "sell them the license," it's Microsoft, that'll never happen. But they're clearly willing to rent it out if it'll make them money.

Dolash posted:

There can never be too many Space Feudalism settings, Game of Thrones made Noble Houses squabbling for the throne hip again, and designing a setting from scratch for 4X/Grand Strategy purposes would make it an easier fit. I'd say you could execute the "Star Lord" idea without the Battletech license well enough.

There very much could, and if it's something I could play a role in I'd jump at the chance, but I just don't have the coding know-how to make any of it happen. It will remain a pipe dream, but a fun one to think about. :shrug:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Dolash posted:

Maybe turn the usual pattern on its head and go for a medieval people experiencing a hyper-accelerated renaissance from discovering the remnants of alien technology, to achieve the same scavenger knight vibe of techno-mysticism without having to repeat "advanced society collapses into dark age".

poo poo, now I kind of want to see HBO do a Battletech show. Pretty much the same kind of house intrigues, except now the CGI budget goes to big stompy robots instead of dragons.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Perestroika posted:

poo poo, now I kind of want to see HBO do a Battletech show. Pretty much the same kind of house intrigues, except now the CGI budget goes to big stompy robots instead of dragons.

So we'll see mechs every third show for five minutes then?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

By the sixth season I will be wishing for the compelling characters and coherent plots of a Stackpole book.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Begin scene:
3 noblemen of House Marik are shouting at one another while Paul Masters looks on, depressed.
End scene.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Charles Dance can play the Atlas.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Green Intern posted:

Charles Dance can play the Atlas.

Are you kidding?

He's Janos Marik material. Or Frederick Steiner.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Nicholas Cage would have to play most of the cast by himself, because he's perfect for basically any Battletech Noble.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

PoptartsNinja posted:

Are you kidding?

He's Janos Marik material. Or Frederick Steiner.

On the other hand, "father whose incompetent children undo everything he ever did in his life" fits Hanse Davion to a T.

Sarna March? His son spends the next ten years pissing it away, culminating in handing over the crown jewel without a fight.
Federated Commonwealth? Gone basically the minute his wife dies.
NAIS? Blows up in the Jihad.
It went so far that his bloodline lost the throne to another branch of House Davion, which you know Hanse would have hated.

e: OH gently caress. I just realized the incestuous child of his two most idiotic kids starts a existential conflict for the realm he married into. Stamp paid on this account.

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Nov 25, 2016

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Bloody Pom posted:

Paradox are the de facto kings of grand strategy and so I would trust them to make a game like that, but given their business model we wouldn't get the Clan Invasion DLC until about eight months after release :v:

I'm honestly not entirely sure how to properly make a Battletech 4X from a dev point of view. It'd either have to be very constrained (close to the current upcoming game but focusing more on controlling land/planets) or very abstracted. Even CK2 only lets you customize so much of your nation, people and forces because they realize too much detail equals players getting bogged down in learning the systems (there's a reason Dwarf Fortress isn't more popular than it is). Stellaris might be the closest model, with spaceship design replaced with mechs, but then you have the issues of how tech works and if research is even a thing. And you wouldn't really be settling new planets most of the time.

What I mean is, there'd be no real Exploration and Extermination would be near impossible.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

e: OH gently caress. I just realized the incestuous child of his two most idiotic kids starts a existential conflict for the realm he married into. Stamp paid on this account.

Yeah Katrina's pretty great. "Force me into exile with a Clan? I'll make my own baby, with incest, and battlemechs!"

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

On the other hand, "father whose incompetent children undo everything he ever did in his life" fits Hanse Davion to a T.

But he looks like a Marik. Hanse should be meatier, since he was always a soldier who thought of himself as a custodian of the throne. He was never comfortable leading the Federated Suns which is probably why he was its best ruler, his brother getting killed was the best thing to happen to the Federated Suns in 300 years.

I always regretted forgetting about Ian Davion and not keeping him alive. He would've been a bigger albatross around the Federated Suns than any Kurita-Davion wedding.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

PoptartsNinja posted:

But he looks like a Marik. Hanse should be meatier, since he was always a soldier who thought of himself as a custodian of the throne. He was never comfortable leading the Federated Suns which is probably why he was its best ruler, his brother getting killed was the best thing to happen to the Federated Suns in 300 years.

I always regretted forgetting about Ian Davion and not keeping him alive. He would've been a bigger albatross around the Federated Suns than any Kurita-Davion wedding.

I mean, if we're casting people on what they look like, then you have to get William Shatner to play Hanse and Bruce Willis to play Fred Steiner because that's 100% who they're drawing every time.

Anyway, I'd have to give it to Alexander Davion. Hanse did well but the Federated Suns was already in a position of relative advantage. The FS pre-Alexander is basically unrecognizable as the same government, plus he rebuilt them from a civil war that utterly devastated the whole state so that he could enter the Star League from a position of power rather than as a Terran client state.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Anyway, I'd have to give it to Alexander Davion. Hanse did well but the Federated Suns was already in a position of relative advantage. The FS pre-Alexander is basically unrecognizable as the same government, plus he rebuilt them from a civil war that utterly devastated the whole state so that he could enter the Star League from a position of power rather than as a Terran client state.

That doesn't change my sentiment, since the Star League collapsed about 250 years prior to Hanse's rule. Hanse is the best thing to happen to the Federated Suns since Alex, which isn't an especially difficult feat mind given that the only thing that really happened in between was the Kentares massacre.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Perestroika posted:

I'm sure I saw a fan film that was that. It was lambently terrible and got taken down in short order :(

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

After capturing the greatest Mechwarrior in the Sphere, a sadistic mercenary captain decides to humble him by maiming him to never wear a neurohelmet again - cutting off his head.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Dolash posted:

After capturing the greatest Mechwarrior in the Sphere, a sadistic mercenary captain decides to humble him by maiming him to never wear a neurohelmet again - cutting off his head.

Years later, his son returned looking for revenge on the Dark Wing Lance.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Just reboot the cartoon and make the Clans the heroes this time, coming in to wipe out all those oh-so-decadent nobles.

Except for the Mariks, we like them.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

PoptartsNinja posted:

Years later, his son returned looking for revenge on the Dark Wing Lance.

Surely as Brave a group of Companions as ever there was.

Edit: in at least partial seriousness, Battletech might hold up in a new cartoon show. Sell it to executives as kid- or teen-friendly Game of Thrones with toyetic giant robots and a built-in fanbase, mix liberally with 80's and early 90's nostalgia. They brought back friggin' Voltron, it's probably doable if the rights weren't a clusterfuck.

Dolash fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Nov 25, 2016

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
The biggest issue is the rights though, isn't it? Even avoiding the Unseen, any TV show needs to get whoever currently has that particular facet of the licensing rights to give it the green light.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

As far as I'm concerned the purposefully back and forth designed not to upset any part of the fanbase isn't history, it's just a game setting.
PTNs setting is far superior and more like simulationist history.

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Nov 26, 2016

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

RA Rx posted:

As far as I'm concerned the purposefully back and forth designed not to upset any part of the fanbase isn't history, it's just a game setting.

That's why the historical eras are way better to play in, and the original House books (plus their conclusion and appendix, the SLSB and C*SB) are still the best reads.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

RA Rx posted:

designed not to upset any part of the fanbase.

If that's actually what it was designed to do, it failed utterly on every level.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Dolash posted:

Edit: in at least partial seriousness, Battletech might hold up in a new cartoon show. Sell it to executives as kid- or teen-friendly Game of Thrones with toyetic giant robots and a built-in fanbase, mix liberally with 80's and early 90's nostalgia. They brought back friggin' Voltron, it's probably doable if the rights weren't a clusterfuck.

Which is bad, because I want Game of Thrones with battlemechs, adult themes and all.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

For my money, I've always wanted to go all the way back to the break up of the Terran Alliance. That's a classic 4X starter scenario if ever I've seen one. After the TA retreats back to within one jump of Sol, it was pretty much every colony world for itself and many of them banded together to form small star nations that would in turn merge (willingly or otherwise) into the big nations we know and love. You could run New Avalon....or Donegal, or New Samarkand, or Rasalhague, or whatever, then try to grow your own Inner Sphere. Start in 2142 and go!

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
The main thing there would be the hugely limited tech restrictions, but if we're going with military stuff being mostly abstracted anyway in a CK2 kind of way I guess it wouldn't matter much.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Freakazoid_ posted:

Which is bad, because I want Game of Thrones with battlemechs, adult themes and all.

The hallmark of a great kids TV show is sneaking as many adult themes past the censors as possible.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
As much body horror as they can with deliberately deformed elementals and irradiated civilian mutations.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

goatface posted:

As much body horror as they can with deliberately deformed elementals and irradiated civilian mutations.

Don't forget Nikolai Malthus's magically disappearing and reappearing eyebrows.

Edit: Sorry about the long downtime. Black Friday sucks and a few (not all) of the players get a choice about what they bring to the table.

Lower BV choices will, of course, reduce the strength of the opforce. Not hugely, but it could mean the difference between seeing an Arctic Cheetah and seeing a Mist Lynx.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Nov 26, 2016

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I'm probably not going to have this done by tomorrow, so here's a quick teaser: there is no unit-wide mission objective this time. Instead each player has their own individual objective to complete.

Like so:

It's not an Adder, Terrenblade, but I don't think you'll be upset. :haw:

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Nov 27, 2016

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Headshot o'clock time with that Executioner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Minor typo - looks like you didn't update the "Negative Quirks" line on the Pouncer to read "Mission Objective."

• Locked thread