Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

RFC2324 posted:

http://the-ear.net/review-hardware/audioquest-pearl-and-cinnamon-ethernet-cables-digital-interconnect

These Cat-7 cables will help, they have arrows pointing the right direction!

Absolutely fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

RFC2324 posted:

What is a network supervisor anyway?

Guy with a clipboard that makes sure the lights are blinking.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

RFC2324 posted:

He gives the NOC a heads up to look busy because someone's coming.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

RFC2324 posted:

Duh, they supervise the network. To make sure it's not slacking off watching YouTube videos, presumably.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

It sounds like a NOC position, where someone monitors the network and tells someone when there is a big flashing light.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
It's like a network hypervisor, but with less permissions I think.

Ren and Stimpire
Oct 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Johnny Aztec posted:

Sometimes the lights don't blink and I think I should tell someone, but I just look away.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Johnny Aztec posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYd38vFb6nM

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Mo_Steel posted:

It's like a network hypervisor, but with less permissions I think.

I see what you did there.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
A ticket came in, a label printer is down. I asked them to check the cables and switch, but they said it was fine.

I go in, on the way is another ticket about a paper tray.

The label printer is unplugged at the power brick, strike one. The label printer is switched off, strike two. The label printer is plugged into a dead ethernet port, strike three you're all morons.

The paper tray thing was fixed by a simple power cycle. The user was asked to do this very thing by the help desk, but was thwarted by her inability to figure out which button was the power button. I poo poo you not. And this is a Laserjet M604 where the power button is clearly marked on the front and not a switch on the side like a 4200.

:frogsiren: These people are responsible for your healthcare :frogsiren:

At least I got double time for this nonsense instead of just regular time. I got called in for 6 hours for a dead switch and it wasn't overtime due to the holidays in this pay period.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

skooma512 posted:

These people are responsible for your healthcare
That's the least of your worries, a few years I had lovely data job transcribing census forms and I saw plenty of literally indecipherable handwriting; all by doctors and teachers.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

Super Slash posted:

That's the least of your worries, a few years I had lovely data job transcribing census forms and I saw plenty of literally indecipherable handwriting; all by doctors and teachers.

I worked through college doing medical transcription. Over and over you'd hear the doctor say "blah blah, you know what to put here" when dealing with cardiac patients and their symptoms and treatments, or poo poo was just completely garbled because "Dr. Drunkard" like to do all of his transcription at least 3 glasses of wine and a couple of Quaaludes into his night.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Today is the quarterly staff meeting where we get to sit around for 2 hours hearing management and sales wank on about nothing. I'm split about 50/50 between either taking a phone call at 10:59 and just missing the meeting completely or going in there and telling every moron exactly how stupid and incompetent they are and then just leaving the building immediately.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

We have a meeting once a month to go over things that the people who need to know about already know, and everybody else could just grab a summary out of SharePoint for or whatever. It always starts about 15 minutes late as well just to ensure the maximum amount of time is wasted.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Thanks Ants posted:

We have a meeting once a month to go over things that the people who need to know about already know, and everybody else could just grab a summary out of SharePoint for or whatever. It always starts about 15 minutes late as well just to ensure the maximum amount of time is wasted.

We have a monthly "town hall" meeting which is pure dog and pony show to make the CTO feel important. They started kind of promising, supposedly to be about being transparent about things going on and decisions being made and considered, which lasted for all of one meeting, after which they have all been feel good "congrats to this team or that team on whatever they did recently" wastes of time.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

We have a weekly meeting where we're asked who is working on what and they make announcements about any special events. I like hearing about free food, but I don't need to hear kudos, and it would be a lot easier to just have everyone email the supervisor about what they're doing and have her send it out in an email. That way we can check back on it, and we don't have to sit there for 10 minutes doing it.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I'm doing a masters part time now and the biweekly all team meeting that takes over 2 hours just happens to be on one of my uni days now. I'm so very sad that I have to miss it. [Borat voice] not

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Our monthly all - hands meeting is supposed to foster a strong team spirit with the upper management.

Does not quite work, given the number of times the CEO was phoning in from home as they had the builders in for their new kitchen, or they were waiting for the delivery of their second container of new furniture, or they were overseas on a business trip to somewhere sunny.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Khisanth Magus posted:

We have a monthly "town hall" meeting which is pure dog and pony show to make the CTO feel important. They started kind of promising, supposedly to be about being transparent about things going on and decisions being made and considered, which lasted for all of one meeting, after which they have all been feel good "congrats to this team or that team on whatever they did recently" wastes of time.

We have rah rah quarterly all hands meetings for our org, but they are quite fortunately optional.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If you rely on a monthly meeting for your employees to know what direction the company is headed in and the latest projects that are being worked on then you're doing the whole 'communicating' thing wrong anyway.

Nucken Futz
Oct 30, 2010

by Reene
No no no no no no no ......

Y'all are getting it all wrong.
Those meetings are about your higher-ups reaching their lame-rear end "achievements" <<< for their big-rear end bonus's

It's not about improvement - it's about self-administered "metrics" that you'll never be privy to.

How's your work environment?
Toxic?

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:
Today I got a ticket involving a person I will call 'FailSonSysAdmin'

Abridged Ticket posted:

Yo, this is network operations. There's a web server on your part of the network that's vulnerable to XSS.
Here's a demonstration: <link>
Here's some useless documentation about network security that doesn't really apply to this situation at all too: <more links>

Now, I work in the network office as like a junior junior junior junior network admin. So I typically get these requests and then my boss has me chase them down to make sure the departments fix their stuff, and if they can't do it themselves then he has me do it.

It's led to wacky stuff like me spending 2 days flattening and reinstalling computers because my boss couldn't admit he didn't read server logs closely enough or me having to harden an OS X web server running on a spare computer under someone's desk that hadn't been updated in like 3 years.

Anyway, the department in question has multiple people who should be able to take care of these things, though. So I forward this notice along to the admin in question and CC his boss.

Me posted:

We got this notice from network operations. This is a common kind of vulnerability. You really have to make sure to validate/escape/sanitize all user input.

<more boring details>
Remember, you can always ask us over here at the network office for help if you need it!

I expect that since this is a critical security matter that the guy whose job it is to deal with these things will get back to me promptly.

2 hours pass, an e-mail comes in.

FailSonSysAdmin posted:

Thank you for the notice. We'll get on this ASAP!

Nothing like getting a late response to a critical issue that includes the phrase "ASAP."

An hour passes, offending page is still up, nothing has been done, an e-mail comes in.

E-mail TO FailSonSysAdmin posted:

FailSonSysAdmin,
cc: <everbody in the original chain>

yo we had some company do pentesting over the weekend so we'll just bring this up with them or <other person>

--OtherSysAdminOfNotThisServer

This seemed like a non-sequitur! So I investigate and see a message from FailSonSysAdmin carefully crafted so it doesn't go to anyone else in the chain saying:

FailSonSysAdmin posted:

OtherSysAdminOfNotThisServer,
cc: nobody!

so we got this notice (attached) about a problem with something hosted by the web server, but it's not something I can fix with apache(security module) so please take care of it.

--FailSonSysAdmin

What's hilarious about this is that mod_security was installed in response to a similar notice back in July. So I spend literally about 10 seconds Googling and find out that it can IN FACT prevent the exact type of cross-site scripting that's happening. It pops up with the most minimal of Google searching!

I thought it was kind of fishy back in July that he was like, "well we installed a new application firewall so everything should be okay!" I just let it go because I'm a junior junior junior junior admin and my boss didn't seem to care.

Last week, though, FailSonSysAdmin's boss ropes me in on a ticket because their SSL cert wasn't configured properly in Apache and all the major browsers were putting up big DANGER DANGER DANGER warnings. FailSonSysAdmin was like, "this may take some time."

I ended up sending him a link to the SSL Labs report and saying, "yo! your cert config is messed up! fix the errors then run SSL Labs on it again!"

So considering that he can't even configure an SSL cert in apache without handholding and doesn't know about freely-available rulesets for tools he's using... What are the chances mod_security is even properly-configured enough to be active and working? He didn't even know the version of Cent they're running is going to be EoL'ed in Q1 next year...

If internal politics works out then I may be paid to answer this exciting question!

ErIog fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Nov 28, 2016

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Goons posted:

Meetings

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Sometimes I attend the weekly office meetings just because that's when the receptionist makes coffee and everyone is expected to attend so if I get boxed in by people while filling my cup I can't just push my way out.

My boss does monthly one-on-ones that I diaried for him as "Doing a Great Job Meetup" where he buys me a coffee and we spend some time chatting about life.

In other news, we are being audited by Microsoft, and apparently they sicced the 'problem child' consultancy on us since it was so messy last time :whitewater:

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
We have a weekly conference call as we are spread across the country, it used to take about 90mins but we've all realised if we say we have no issues then it can go as low as approx. 30 mins which is better.

My other boss keeps suggesting we have a monthly meeting, which I just don't turn up for, despite being sat next door :D she doesn't seem to care so that works for me

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
An early morning failure came in;

A routine server reboot turned into a failure, somehow the act of rebooting it caused the UPS its connected with to power itself off meaning nothing was able to power itself on (this particular server didn't have any mains supply, whoops), of course this took out a host, the router, and a switch... so good times, at least at was in the morning!

Pretty interesting that it wasn't able to turn back on just because, although there might've been other shenanigans since it was only over half charged as well.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

angry armadillo posted:

We have a weekly conference call as we are spread across the country, it used to take about 90mins but we've all realised if we say we have no issues then it can go as low as approx. 30 mins which is better.

My other boss keeps suggesting we have a monthly meeting, which I just don't turn up for, despite being sat next door :D she doesn't seem to care so that works for me

Ours is bi-weekly and is mostly just my boss bringing up important topics and if someone went to a trade show, they'll talk about the new things they saw so we know what's coming. They've never gone above 30 minutes and get cancelled if there's nothing new to bring up, a huge improvement over my last job which was a monthly "talk about everything that you're doing, even if there's nothing new from the last meeting" meeting that went over 3 hours and I wanted to die by the end of them.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Super Slash posted:

A routine server reboot

A what?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Read: "Our garbage in-house application leaks memory and we don't know how to fix it so we just reboot the server once a week"

e: Not bashing you Super Slash, it's just the usual reason I see people have scheduled server reboots and it makes me facepalm each time.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Collateral Damage posted:

Read: "Our garbage in-house application leaks memory and we don't know how to fix it so we just reboot the server once a week"

e: Not bashing you Super Slash, it's just the usual reason I see people have scheduled server reboots and it makes me facepalm each time.

To be fair, it might be a garbage third party application that they're never going to fix, and you can't replace right now, so you're stuck.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Dell monitoring software install :q:

Something our MSP was rolling out so I let them have at it on the weekend, nice way to start Monday morning.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

Volmarias posted:

To be fair, it might be a garbage third party application that they're never going to fix, and you can't replace right now, so you're stuck.

perhaps a scheduled task might restart that service rather than the entire server

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

spog posted:

Our monthly all - hands meeting is supposed to foster a strong team spirit with the upper management.

Does not quite work, given the number of times the CEO was phoning in from home as they had the builders in for their new kitchen, or they were waiting for the delivery of their second container of new furniture, or they were overseas on a business trip to somewhere sunny.

Ours does this but from his beach house. "CAN YOU SPEAK UP I CAN'T HEAR YOU OVER THE WAVES"

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Super Slash posted:

Dell monitoring software install :q:

Something our MSP was rolling out so I let them have at it on the weekend, nice way to start Monday morning.

Ok, when you said routine, I read it the same way everyone else seems to have: "We reboot this server regularly"

Thats actually a sane(ish) reason to reboot

Storysmith
Dec 31, 2006

RFC2324 posted:

Ok, when you said routine, I read it the same way everyone else seems to have: "We reboot this server regularly"

Thats actually a sane(ish) reason to reboot

Rebooting a server every once in awhile is good general advice though? In the Linux world, at least until ksplice or kgraft becomes more commonly used, it's the only way to get a kernel update, and it solves the "make everything use a new version of glibc" issue after updates to it.

I'm not saying "restart everything every software release" but quarterly or in response to vulnerabilities is probably wise.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Anyone have software recommendations for something to scan all domain computers for a list of local admin accounts? Or is this something I could eventually hack my way through with PowerShell in some way/shape form?

I think we have all the PC's locked down now, but I'm wanting to have something I can use to double-check.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Khisanth Magus posted:

I like my company's transparency model which is comprised of similar attaboys, vague promises, and *totally regretful* "we can't talk about that yet" statements. It makes it easy to duck out every town hall and ask someone for the 10 second overview later (usually "no, they didn't really say anything").

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Siochain posted:

Anyone have software recommendations for something to scan all domain computers for a list of local admin accounts? Or is this something I could eventually hack my way through with PowerShell in some way/shape form?

I think we have all the PC's locked down now, but I'm wanting to have something I can use to double-check.

You would think this would be simple in Powershell, but it's not. You have to delve into ADSI which involves a bunch of NET poo poo rather than just cmdlets.

Here's an example.

EDIT: It's not actually that bad, and ADSI is really powerful, but you know.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Nov 28, 2016

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Siochain posted:

PDQ inventory pulls this info and you can probably create a custom report on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Boogalo posted:

PDQ inventory pulls this info and you can probably create a custom report on it.

If you administer windows clients as part of your duties and aren't using pdq inventory, you are making you work harder.

• Locked thread