Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Yeah, back when "lol" or "wtf" would get you banned. I miss it sometimes too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Solice Kirsk posted:

Yeah, back when "lol" or "wtf" would get you banned. I miss it sometimes too.

Imo they still haven't found a good middle ground. GBS used to be super strict and then they took the rules away and it became a cesspool.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Len posted:

Imo they still haven't found a good middle ground. GBS used to be super strict and then they took the rules away and it became a cesspool.

you can't clean up a cesspool by enforcing aesthetic rules, lol

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
It wasn't a cesspool before. Uptight, yes, but cleaner than this poo poo.

What changed?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Cicadas! posted:

Pretty sure that was Kewpuh.

mod of games and just did not care for discussions which might weer into controversial topics

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
E: Wrong thread, sorry

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

I Said No posted:

Speaking of mods, I recall when GBS was at its worst there was this mod who would always probate people for spelling or grammar errors constantly and would flood the leper's colony with pages and pages of entries that went along the lines of "Use your shift key you loving dicksucking bitch!!!" and other weirdly over-aggressive poo poo like that, I can't for the life of me remember their username though. They didn't stay a mod for very long, for obvious reasons.

i clicked on this persons rap sheet earlier this week for reasons i can't remember and lol they got banned for not capitalising something

http://forums.somethingawful.com/banlist.php?userid=119904

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

even worse banned for what amounts to a pretty good effort post

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

maybe creative convention is some sort of gulag where you send mods who are also proof readers

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Scudworth posted:

Hawaii 5-5-5-5-5

quote:

If you fed and housed me, I would come and work for you for 6 months. I love what you're doing and my mind is already blazing with ideas. Solar heaters, jellyfish windmills, irrigation projects, integrating the housing structures with trees, etc. I can't wait to see what you will do with this man, and also, I am extremely jealous that you have the opportunity to build this stuff.
Imagine the endless possibilities only limited by our own creative minds like...trees...in...houses...and...stuff. Soooo excited.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

God I loved the story of Samadhi Village. It was The Zybourne Clock of wilderness survival projects.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
If you took out that first sentence, it sounds like someone talking about a Minecraft server.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

It wasn't a cesspool before. Uptight, yes, but cleaner than this poo poo.

What changed?
Because removing all rules just encouraged all the unfunny hateful assholes and drove away new members, because who really wants to pay $10 for something that you can get for free and in abundance on 4chan or Reddit?

GBS needed to be less uptight but they just threw out the baby with the bathwater and because it was left to fester for years has contributed to the site's slow death, which I don't know if it can be averted at this point.

Accordion Man has a new favorite as of 16:41 on Nov 25, 2016

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
BACK IN MY DAY there were no probations. Any rule violation was a $10 ban. Including stuff like image leeching, no caps, and so on. I have no idea where this myth of a lightly-moderated GBS came from because it was never true.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

actually if you think noni was funny, that's probably a good indication that something's up, and being a mod is merely incidental

e: dude once heard that "brevity is the soul of wit" and thought i'll show them. i'll show them all!!!
Yeah, I'm probably remembering wrong. This was years ago.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

zakharov posted:

BACK IN MY DAY there were no probations. Any rule violation was a $10 ban. Including stuff like image leeching, no caps, and so on. I have no idea where this myth of a lightly-moderated GBS came from because it was never true.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Also why isn't this thread displaying on the PYF main page? Am I insane?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It is, so I've got some bad news for you Mr West...

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

It was definitely gone for a little bit there

WHAT IS LOWTAX TRYING TO HIDE

WAKE UP SHEEPLE

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
rip anal sex pump guy. banned for the crime of posting his prolapsed anus

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

what's really funny is that the ausgbs thread didn't go on to meltdown about it, they just kinda talked some poo poo and then went back to posting about durries, dank and sucking down cold ones

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

well why not posted:

what's really funny is that the ausgbs thread didn't go on to meltdown about it, they just kinda talked some poo poo and then went back to posting about durries, dank and sucking down cold ones

after living in the hell that is australia, nothing phases you.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

zakharov posted:

Tighter control meant better content, it was a far better time

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Mycroft Holmes posted:

I've seen an Australian go off when I talked poo poo about Aussie rules football though.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Solice Kirsk posted:

I've seen an Australian go off when I talked poo poo about Aussie rules football though.

How do you even know enough about that obscure, unimportant sport to talk poo poo?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Solice Kirsk posted:

There are rules?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

VanSandman posted:

How do you even know enough about that obscure, unimportant sport to talk poo poo?

I don't, but calling it "pussy rugby" set the wheels in motion.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

it's simple, mention football and then say - "sorry, I meant rugby, you know, real football" and it goes from there.

Mycroft Holmes posted:

it's more that the talk of durries, bongs and sucking down cold ones is of extreme importance and must not be disturbed.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

well why not posted:

it's simple, mention football and then say - "sorry, I meant rugby, you know, real football" and it goes from there.

it's more that the talk of durries, bongs and sucking down cold ones is of extreme importance and must not be disturbed.

you forgot the racism

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Accordion Man posted:

Because removing all rules just encouraged all the unfunny hateful assholes and drove away new members, because who really wants to pay $10 for something that you can get for free and in abundance on 4chan or Reddit?

GBS needed to be less uptight but they just threw out the baby with the bathwater and because it was left to fester for years has contributed to the site's slow death, which I don't know if it can be averted at this point.

October 31st 2013 is when GBS 2.0 happened, and registrations fall off a cliff at that exact moment. :laffo:

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

What's the story with the actual iterations of GBS? I remember in around 2010 it was pretty serious with BYOB being the 'chillax' alternative and 'FYAD' being 'ironic 4chan'.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

well why not posted:

What's the story with the actual iterations of GBS? I remember in around 2010 it was pretty serious with BYOB being the 'chillax' alternative and 'FYAD' being 'ironic 4chan'.

by 2008-2009 GBS was the place you told people on cooler forums go gb2 if they were posting lovely.

in those days GBS was basically a news RSS feed. Every thread was either an insular megathread that could have easily existed on a more specific subforum or about some article or something. Posts were verbose and rigidly spellchecked and every reply was some variation of "Epic Goonsire, five golden manbabies bacon Dwarf Fortress". It sucked and it allowed garbage like that Crimbo thread and the "wom" incident to thrive. And if you believe the rumors lowtax hates GBS anyway. So they torpedoed it and it became a lawless wasteland full of 'ironic' hard right cuckoldry fetishists.

Most of the epic goon manbabies crowd beat feet to PYF when they got ran out of nu-GBS so, the moral is every forum and every style of posting is bad.

MageMage
Feb 11, 2007

I SUCK AND LOVE TO YELL PERFORMATIVE HOT TAKES AND NONSENSE LIES WHEN I GET WORKED UP. SOMETIMES AUTOBANNED IS BETTER. MAYBE ONE DAY WHEN I STORM OFF I'LL ACTUALLY STOP SHITTING UP THE SITE FOR REAL

VanSandman posted:

Lowtax finally turned on Shmorky because their even crazier SO went full nutjob at Lowtax.

Why turn on Shmorky if it was Shmorky's SO?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

MageMage posted:

Have you heard the audio clip? Because I understood everything when I heard the clip.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I haven't, got a link?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Solice Kirsk posted:

I haven't, got a link?

Here ya go: https://a.tumblr.com/tumblr_o1w43x4GGX1v772mro1.mp3#_=_

And found this in the process, it seems even more solid as to what happened.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3762459&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Dinosaurmageddon
Jul 7, 2007

by zen death robot
Hell Gem

MageMage posted:

Rich 'Lowtax' Kyanka had a decent IRL creative working relationship with Shmorky, which later suffered from Shmorky's off-putting behavior once he- (now 'they') started hormone replacement therapy and got rabidly invested in personal gender identity politics.
Lowtax ultimately fired Shmorky from working at Something Awful's offices, and so Shmorky and their female SO moved states to live in what became a bad situation.
Now, understand that this significant other that Shmorky had attracted during his time working at Something Awful was certainly not 100% sane and she must have been at least in-part an enabling factor in Shmorky's bizarre mannerisms, but nonetheless she didn't cause much of a fuss nor did she otherwise make a bad impression upon the people working at Something Awful, at least not until quite some time after Shmorky was fired from SA.

In short, a good long while after Shmorky got fired from SA (and following a freakish instance where Lowtax got a call out of the blue to bail Shmorky and the SO out of jail for what started as a midnight traffic stop), Shmorky's SO had fallen off her meds and went off her rocker on twitter spouting out all manners of new age Jewish conspiracies and zion apocalypse prophecies and whatnot, connecting crazy poo poo and people from her life in hashtags and flippant nonsense that went largely unnoticed by most people until she also started blaming #lowtax for these things in her life that escalated to things like incest, pedophilia and transmisogyny, etc.

Shmorky meanwhile was also freaking the gently caress out from living with her and had basically locked themself(?) (in diapers, no doubt) to a single room and refused to do anything about his psycho SO to calm her down or silence her in the throes of her schizoid Dear Richard, all of which ultimately resulted in Lowtax getting authorities involved to help bail Shmorky out of yet another whack-a-doo situation.

Ye Gods, what a trainwreck that became :nallears:

TLDR: Click links above ^^^

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I clicked on some links, including her twitter. That sound file really makes me feel invasive towards them and uncomfortable. But on her twitter I can confirm she's still anti-zionist, and she had a weird period last spring where she wanted to move to cambodia and get political asylum. But the big striking mark against her sanity is the chat logs she posted with Mrs. Lowtax from around that time where somehow sees the turn of conversation as if SHE is the victimized one, not Ladytax, when all the Missus says is not to accuse them of child abuse again or she'll regret it, and the rest of the conversation is her basically being "what are you even talking about? You need to get help badly" and then crazy lady going on about how she's the victim and she called the feds on them for these conversations--that she started.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Ohhhhh! That's where "Wait til the transgendered community hears about this" came from. Schmorky always sucked so I just ignored everything about him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I always liked Shmorky's art and during his more stable periods I always saw him as one of those outsider cartoonists, but then I also discovered him when I was 15. It's become apparent to me that most artists that are worth paying attention to tend to suffer in a really lovely mental world of their own and that often informs their art. It sucks to see someone have to live with that even if they make a lot of dumb decisions as a result of it and it's clear that Lowtax has or had some genuine fondness for Shmorky. I've watched a friend go through a similar breakdown and while things may have gotten bad enough that you pretty much hate them you'll always have those moments where you remember them during better times and it hurts to see them act like dipshits.