Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
e: never mind, fixed it by forcing a forum update. s'weird.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Nov 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

CrashCat posted:

Also for some reason on OLED theme the toggles don't light up when they're on, I had to switch themes to figure out whether left or right was on. :saddowns:

They do, it's pretty subtle though - changing it would involve introducing a colour tint in other parts of the app, or making certain things darker. It might be tweakable though

What do the toggles look like anyway? The stock Lollipop ones have a circle that's either on the left or the right, I think older versions literally say ON or OFF?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3798602&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

The app doesn't seem to have a thread icon for this thread yet. It's a weird/new one on the forums I think.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Carbon dioxide posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3798602&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

The app doesn't seem to have a thread icon for this thread yet. It's a weird/new one on the forums I think.

If the app does not have a square tag ready, it will display the normal tag that you would see in the browser. This one, the pokeball tag (), is different because its first frame is transparent. As the app doesn't do animated gifs it's just transparent all the way.

I'll ask the Awful.app guys if they can whip up a square tag.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

baka kaba posted:

They do, it's pretty subtle though - changing it would involve introducing a colour tint in other parts of the app, or making certain things darker. It might be tweakable though

What do the toggles look like anyway? The stock Lollipop ones have a circle that's either on the left or the right, I think older versions literally say ON or OFF?

If you can tell which one of these is lit up, congrats I guess

actually at THAT size I can almost make out the top one as being brighter, but not at the actual size of a third of a cm or so it shows up on screen

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug
I've asked a couple of times about custom fonts, but I'm generally curious about the app's font preferences.

They stick with standard non-serif Roboto for post content, regardless of theme and font choices. Font choices apply to the indexes and titles, but even clearing data and starting fresh don't result in a change of font for the bulk of the actual reading. Anything I'm missing?

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Weird feature request: would it be possible to have a "mark post as first unread" action? Sometimes I read LPs on my phones, and if I want to resume reading later on from the post right after a lengthy update it's a pain in the rear end having to scroll upwards a lot to mark the update as the last read post.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

CrashCat posted:

Sure but right is on because right is always on? It seems pretty obvious?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Sereri posted:

I'll ask the Awful.app guys if they can whip up a square tag.

We're shedding them at a scary rate, so new ones are a good idea!

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Tunga posted:

Sure but right is on because right is always on? It seems pretty obvious?
I know that NOW, but... oh gently caress's sake it's not even worth it :saddowns:

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

CrashCat posted:

actually at THAT size I can almost make out the top one as being brighter, but not at the actual size of a third of a cm or so it shows up on screen

welllll i dunno about your device but on my nexus devices the "off" toggle position is usually all-gray compared to the "on" position where it inherits some of the app's color, i.e. the color from the actionbar and whatnot

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Mikl posted:

Weird feature request: would it be possible to have a "mark post as first unread" action? Sometimes I read LPs on my phones, and if I want to resume reading later on from the post right after a lengthy update it's a pain in the rear end having to scroll upwards a lot to mark the update as the last read post.

It already exists, it's one of the options if you select the 3 dots to the top right of a post.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Elyv posted:

It already exists, it's one of the options if you select the 3 dots to the top right of a post.

No, that marks that post as last read. The request here is because it's at the top, they want a way to be able to resume from before the post in question instead of searching for one short enough to resume from after.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

so you want an entire new UI option instead of just scrolling up to the previous post

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

It's at the bottom on the forums proper for a reason. :shrug:

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Mikl posted:

Thirding this.

In fact this would be rather useful on the website too, so you don't have to go to the previous page if you find out the first post on a new page is too long to read right now.

But for the app, putting the existing "mark this post last read" option on the bottom of a post instead of on the top (or both?) would be a very good compromise.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Lutha Mahtin posted:

welllll i dunno about your device but on my nexus devices the "off" toggle position is usually all-gray compared to the "on" position where it inherits some of the app's color, i.e. the color from the actionbar and whatnot

It uses the accent colour defined in the theme, which for the OLED theme is basically a slightly lighter grey, since it ain't got no colours. We can look at upping the contrast or something, I don't know if the accent value was artisanally selected or if Sereri picked a number and went "#999999 that'll do" like me

sweart gliwere posted:

I've asked a couple of times about custom fonts, but I'm generally curious about the app's font preferences.

They stick with standard non-serif Roboto for post content, regardless of theme and font choices. Font choices apply to the indexes and titles, but even clearing data and starting fresh don't result in a change of font for the bulk of the actual reading. Anything I'm missing?

Uhh honestly I think fonts are kind of an afterthought, like how I just switched to comic sans and saw all kinds of broken stuff that I guess none of us ever noticed. It's possible to have custom fonts in the thread view (like yospos mode hmm wait was I imagining that?) but it's all pretty tangled up and time consuming to fix

It might be a good issue for someone who wants to contribute though! Untangling a bit of spaghetti, separating layout font sizes from post font sizes, that kind of thing

The mark first unread / last read thing is probably doable with a pop-up box to ask which you mean or something, so the menu doesn't get too busy. Depends how easy it is to get a reference to the previous post!

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Nov 22, 2016

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

pokeyman posted:

We're shedding them at a scary rate, so new ones are a good idea!

That one might be copyright infringement :allears:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Mikl posted:

Personally I'd prefer this be the default behavior for the feature rather than having both. I can't think of any time I've wanted to say "when I come back I'd like to jump to the post after this one (that I'm currently looking at the top of)".

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

baka kaba posted:

Uhh honestly I think fonts are kind of an afterthought, like how I just switched to comic sans and saw all kinds of broken stuff that I guess none of us ever noticed. It's possible to have custom fonts in the thread view (like yospos mode hmm wait was I imagining that?) but it's all pretty tangled up and time consuming to fix

It might be a good issue for someone who wants to contribute though! Untangling a bit of spaghetti, separating layout font sizes from post font sizes, that kind of thing

Yeah, I keep waffling between joining and realizing that I'd just be another rusty coder, doing first-time work for an Android environment, for an app that's probably going to be deprecated soon by upcoming forums changes anyway, for a dead gay comedy forum, and in our hearts only death is certain.

I get the something.apk appeal, but hope the move to xenforo or whatever they do will have enough API options for some app to hook in and tweak whatever isn't great on mobile. It's really nice having an immersive themed native forums environment, rather than having to use some half-assed "touch friendly mode" webpage and layer a universal Stylish theme over that.

Edit: my suggestion for another dumb font option
http://www.dafont.com/comfortaa.font?text=pepsi%20for%20goon%20reader

sweart gliwere fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Nov 22, 2016

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

has there been an update?

Awful worked this morning but logged me out and now won't sign in. just a big old deal with it dog.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
code:
forgot to mention this
But for some reason
Whenever i press on a code text block
The sidebar pops open to the horizontal
Position my finger is in.
If the code block is tall enough,
This makes the thread unscrollable
And have to do some dumb shenanigans like
Backing off to the bookmark section
So the post is considered read
And thus not loaded
Next time you open the thread.
God help you it gets quoted a lot.
Has anyone had this happen to them?
4.4.4 btw yes i know its old

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Actually its not on touch, i can hold for selecting text, but rather on any slide, which means scrolling is busted

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
It's been a known issue for a long time. I can't remember if it's been fixed for Marshmallow, but it's definitely still a thing for KitKat (and always will be, just get a new phone you loving peasant)

- posted from my Samsung S4mini :ironicat:

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

^^^ It still happens when you're at the bottom of the thread (try only showing ArfJason's posts so the code block is still on screen when you scroll to the bottom, then touch the code)

Nobody can work out what the deal is, hacks were tried but nothing works :catstare:

Shouldn't happen when the thread isn't at the bottom though? Or maybe it does on older androids? You should at least be able to scroll on the right edge of the screen, outside of the code block

Kommando posted:

has there been an update?

Awful worked this morning but logged me out and now won't sign in. just a big old deal with it dog.

I just signed in ok, is it still busted? If yeah what android version, are you on wifi or 3G or what, that kind of thing. Someone else said they had trouble signing in on 3G but it's hard to test

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Nov 23, 2016

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

baka kaba posted:

^^^ It still happens when you're at the bottom of the thread (try only showing ArfJason's posts so the code block is still on screen when you scroll to the bottom, then touch the code)

Nobody can work out what the deal is, hacks were tried but nothing works :catstare:

Shouldn't happen when the thread isn't at the bottom though? Or maybe it does on older androids? You should at least be able to scroll on the right edge of the screen, outside of the code block

I just signed in ok, is it still busted? If yeah what android version, are you on wifi or 3G or what, that kind of thing. Someone else said they had trouble signing in on 3G but it's hard to test
Nope it's fine.
something weird happened, logged me out and I was trying the wrong passwords

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Okay so I'm almost sure the answer will be it's not doable but I have to ask

I started using a new program called slack recently and one of the things it does is when you turn off auto start gifs it reads out the size of the gif so you know how big it is before you try to open it. Could you do such a thing for when you have gifs disabled on awful app? It would be real nice for those times where you decide to click one but oops it just keeps downloading who knows how big it is :shrug:

Also I want to say I really dig the new way you add bbcode to text with the pop up box and you can even highlight text and add bbcode around it now it's super useful. Thanks!!!

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

site posted:

I started using a new program called slack recently

This is cute.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

The app doesn't work if you're in a country that is getting tagged with the catchpa on every request :(

I have been using my browser, but I want to go back to the nnice sustem of the awful app :(

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

The Dave posted:

This is cute.

God drat, this is the literally the exact thing I was going to post.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Xerxes17 posted:

The app doesn't work if you're in a country that is getting tagged with the catchpa on every request :(

I have been using my browser, but I want to go back to the nnice sustem of the awful app :(

try using a vpn through a country that cloudflare likes

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

site posted:

I started using a new program called slack recently and one of the things it does is when you turn off auto start gifs it reads out the size of the gif so you know how big it is before you try to open it. Could you do such a thing for when you have gifs disabled on awful app? It would be real nice for those times where you decide to click one but oops it just keeps downloading who knows how big it is :shrug:

Also I want to say I really dig the new way you add bbcode to text with the pop up box and you can even highlight text and add bbcode around it now it's super useful. Thanks!!!

Cheers! It's easier than using the desktop now :negative:

I've had a play with the image size thing, and I don't JavaScript so maybe I'm just an idiot, but I don't think we can access the Content-Length header because of some security policy (CORS if anyone knows anything about this) - it outright refuses to get it. So seems like we'd have to download the thing anyway to see how big it is. Not sure how Slack does it or if we have a way around it

Xerxes17 posted:

That does suck but I don't think we can do anything about it! You should leave that country when you want to :justpost:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Slack loads the information by caching the images on their servers for a short time, which is why it has the info on file size. This sometimes doesn't work, so the image won't show up in channel as anything other than a plain link.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Yeah I had a feeling it might be something like that. I'm sure there's a good idea behind blocking it but it's pretty annoying

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007
Resident Rocking Dachshund
The app is crashing on me when I load the following thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3775957

Obviously it's a bit image heavy, but it's not crazy big gifs or anything. LG G3 w/ official 6.0 Marshmallow update.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

WienerDog posted:

The app is crashing on me when I load the following thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3775957

Obviously it's a bit image heavy, but it's not crazy big gifs or anything. LG G3 w/ official 6.0 Marshmallow update.

I can't help you, but thanks for the link to that thread. It's actually just proven very useful.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

WienerDog posted:

They might not be long gifs but they're giant jpgs, like 4000x3000 px in size. I get that the app should not just give up and die and I'll add it to the list of things that need fixing. However if you read image heavy threads like that one you might wanna consider the imgur thumbnail option in the settings.

As for the gif size /slack thing, imgur has an api for images and although it's probably on the way out as goon host of choice, it's certainly possible to load the file size when clicking on an image. Probably for other image hosts as well. But it's hard to make a general solution for all gifs without loading them first which kinda defeats the purpose.

/e actually sending a HEAD request might work (at least some of the time) might be worth checking out.

Sereri fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Nov 26, 2016

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007
Resident Rocking Dachshund

Sereri posted:

They might not be long gifs but they're giant jpgs, like 4000x3000 px in size. I get that the app should not just give up and die and I'll add it to the list of things that need fixing. However if you read image heavy threads like that one you might wanna consider the imgur thumbnail option in the settings.

Ahhh cool, I didn't know what that option was for. I set it to the "large" setting and it seems to let that thread load up, and should help with any other image heavy threads I want to read on mobile. Plus there's always Display Image and Open URL from the pop-up menu if I need to see the full res. Thanks.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

^^^ yeah memory is pretty constrained on mobile, even if you have X GB there's only so much available to each app in normal circumstances. Ideally it wouldn't crash, but it's gonna fall over somehow when you try to load lots of big things in at once

Sereri posted:

/e actually sending a HEAD request might work (at least some of the time) might be worth checking out.

That's what I did, you get a message in the log saying refused to get unsafe header "Content-Length"

I mean I don't know what I'm doing so there might be a way around it, but googling made it seem like it's A Thing (that you can fix server-side if you want)

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Nov 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Is the [code] block bug ever gonna get fixed? Because it's been there as long as I can remember and it sure is annoying.