Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

alpha_destroy posted:

Joking aside: at the risk of sounding racist, what makes Trump or conservatives think Carson is qualified for this position besides the fact the department has "urban" in the name and Carson is black?

Nothing.

They don't need anyone to do anything good at HUD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

alpha_destroy posted:

Joking aside: at the risk of sounding racist, what makes Trump or conservatives think Carson is qualified for this position besides the fact the department has "urban" in the name and Carson is black?

Carson wants to destroy the public housing system that allowed him the opportunity to become the amazing surgeon that he was. Because he's the king of FYGM.

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

My parents are suddenly acting like the economy is perfect :raise:

"there are so many jobs now!"

It's just weird because before the election they.... didn't have this opinion

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Bullfrog posted:

My parents are suddenly acting like the economy is perfect :raise:

"there are so many jobs now!"

It's just weird because before the election they.... didn't have this opinion
There was actually a poll taken a week ago that showed Trump voters suddenly felt like the economy had drastically improved compared to before the election

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

FlamingLiberal posted:

There was actually a poll taken a week ago that showed Trump voters suddenly felt like the economy had drastically improved compared to before the election

I am more than a little concerned about this.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Obama ruined the economy by being a grumpy gus throughout his presidency. Uncle Trump is here, everything is gravy now.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

There is little anyone could do to dissuade me from the idea that anyone who voted for Donald Trump is just a stupid person. Now I would probably never say this out loud, especially because I'm working on going into politics, but yeah.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
9f course the economy has improved, have you seen how many people are out shopping? You didn't see that a month ago boy howdy

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
wow its great that all of that economic anxiety cleared up out of nowhere!!

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Unless you're in the gun and tactical gear market yeah sure why not.

*Fartsssss*

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Another problem is this nonsense that Trump is somehow single handedly getting certain companies to stay in the US which is bullshit

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Spaced God posted:

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/802257934700920832

Ugh I hate how much trump is gonna siphon from America

I honestly don't get why people are upset about this, other than thinking the secret service shouldn't have to pay. The Trumps live there and they are going to be the first family, ergo the secret service will take a floor to staff.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Grapplejack posted:

I honestly don't get why people are upset about this, other than thinking the secret service shouldn't have to pay. The Trumps live there and they are going to be the first family, ergo the secret service will take a floor to staff.

Because this is just a drop in the bucket on just how bad Trump is trying to graft the nation.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Grapplejack posted:

Because Bush didn't charge the secret service when he stayed at his Ranch. Trump is going make a bunch of money instead.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Gail Wynand posted:

The major chain grocery store near me just eliminated their self-checkout machines. Lots of retailers are realizing they aren't all they're cracked up to be.

From being stuck behind people that are too stupid to operate self-checkout machines, how much of that is because a whole loving lot of people are too stupid to use self-checkout machines? Haven't some of the fast food places that rolled out self ordering for testing rolled it back as well because some people couldn't get a handle on it and it took way longer for them to do?

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Bullfrog posted:

stein just officially filed in WI

And here I thought the Greens would get sued for not filing.

Grapplejack posted:

Why should the Secret Service have to stay in Trump Tower instead of the White House?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

fknlo posted:

Haven't some of the fast food places that rolled out self ordering for testing rolled it back as well because some people couldn't get a handle on it and it took way longer for them to do?

yeah. people forget restaurants have had POS systems for years, it's just way easier to train someone to ask a customer what they want and then interface with the POS rather than have the customer do it. in most cases the customer will take forever and get confused. the future of POS ordering in fast food is to have an app on your phone which allows you to save a usual order and just submit that, or modify it ahead of time, until the day that voice recognition technology gets as good as a human being

fast food thrives on quick service and volume, especially during a rush, and the last thing any fast food joint needs is grandma and grandpa earlybird trying to figure out how to order small coffees and egg biscuits while a line steadily grows behind them

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Grapplejack posted:

Because a Floor in the Trump tower goes for around 1.5 million to 3 million dollars a year .

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Hollismason posted:

Because a Floor in the Trump tower goes for around 1.5 million to 3 million dollars a year .

Plus he's keeping control of the company and directly profiting from it.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I make it a point to never use the self checkout machines at the store because I don't want to encourage them.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

BirdOfPlay posted:

And here I thought the Greens would get sued for not filing.

Why should the Secret Service have to stay in Trump Tower instead of the White House?

Because they go where the President goes and the President has decided that he is spending 3-4 days a week at Trump Tower.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Glazier posted:

That's my main issue. Taxpayer money is going directly into his pocket.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

FlamingLiberal posted:

That's my main issue. Taxpayer money is going directly into his pocket.
Good. To the victor, the spoils.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

fknlo posted:

From being stuck behind people that are too stupid to operate self-checkout machines, how much of that is because a whole loving lot of people are too stupid to use self-checkout machines? Haven't some of the fast food places that rolled out self ordering for testing rolled it back as well because some people couldn't get a handle on it and it took way longer for them to do?

how much you wanna bet that these are the same people who berate cashiers/food service people/etc. and think they don't deserve a living wage

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

fknlo posted:

Some stores around here have given up but I always assumed it was less "people are idiots" than "people steal poo poo". Not that I have anything to back that up other than anecdotally never really having a problem unless someone's there with a completely full cart tying up one station for half an hour. I'd also swear the things just being down for unknown reasons slows things down more than (customer) incompetence.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Because they go where the President goes and the President has decided that he is spending 3-4 days a week at Trump Tower.

I'm sure that the people who went on and on about Obama's fifty million dollar Hawaiian vacations will be just as outraged.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Glazier posted:

Donald Trump has no role whatsoever in the Donald J. Trump Corporation. That company is run by Ivanka Kushner and Donald Trump Jr.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

fishmech posted:

Here's the basic cycle for small towns in this country:

Early-mid 19th century: As small holding family farmers move into an area, a central location starts to develop a town. This town initially is just there for stores and other services for immediate needs, that aren't big enough to be worth a day or more of roundtrip travel to existing towns relatively nearby. As more people move in, this town grows. Sometimes it's not farming that draws people but mines or something, but you still tend to have a lot of local agriculture. After all, in 1800 85% of the country's population is employed in direct farm work, and even as of 1860 it's still like 55% of the country

Late 19th century to about 1910: With freight rail finally available to all sorts of minor areas, these small scattered towns aren't too far from easy transport of local goods to national markets and easy ordering of specialty stuff from the national market. This is generally the small town's heyday. Many serious-size factories and mills can start up in these small towns because the transport available by rail means they aren't so reliant on having business in the local area.

1910s and 1920s: The smallholding family farms on the periphery of the small towns are starting to give up the lifestyle as small farming gets squeezed by the increasing viability of the national market. They're moving to the cities or sometime the suburbs of the city - and lucky small towns that are reasonably close to cities start to become incorporated in suburban development (they break out of this cycle). Also at the same time, a lot more people in the area have a car or even just a motorized tractor that can be driven a good ways far faster than horse-based travel. Because of this new mobility, a lot of the people who used to shop in the small town or rely on lawyers/banks/other services are now going an 5, 10, 30 miles out to a larger town in the area for better services, or to sell their produce. This starts to seriously cut into the viability of all these stores and service providers in the small town.

1930s: Leaving the small town's area continues to accelerate with the Great Depression really loving things up for a lot of smallholding farmers as well as other businesses. A lot of people simply can't make it the small town or its catchment area for shopping etc anymore. As they continue heading to the cities and suburbs, some shops and specialty services straight up close, or decide to move up to a larger town in the area to try to get a steadier business. This is essentially when the small town reaches a terminal condition, though it'll go on zombie like for a while yet.

1940s: War production takes even more people into the cities and suburbs. Some small towns experience a temporary boom as their factories/mills/etc get selected for war production, but others get nothing out of it. There's also, of course, tons of men who are called up to fight and that hurts economic activity. The closing of the stores and loss of services continues in the ones that didn't get a windfall. After the war, even many of the places that got a temporary boost during war production lose out again because the military's orders dry up (though some of them do pick up with Korean War stuff in the early 50s). At this point most of them are at least losing most of the children and young adults in the town and its surrounding area to the cities/suburbs, and might even straight up be shrinking.

1950s and 1960s: As the people who were temporarily drawn into the cities by the 30s and 40s leave, they're not heading back to their rural areas and small towns. They're moving to suburbs, because the rural areas do not hold any real life opportunities for them anymore. Those who served in World War II or the Korean War are most likely to have stuck around in suburban areas due to incentives from the GI Bill and related things - things like the qualifying education aren't available out in Small Town, Nowheresville, after all. The shuttering of local businesses and services are starting to get really severe (and at this time, if there was a factory or mill in town, it starts to become an increasing share of the local employment and economy, due to those shrinking). A large swathe of small towns luck out by being located close enough to cities or large towns to be incorporated into building suburbia, and so they drop out of the cycle at this point.

1970s to 1990s: The rot has really set in. There's only a small fraction of the stores and services that used to operate in the small town still open. Most people around there are now used to driving many miles over to another town for their shopping, to use a bank, and so on. Tons of the surrounding area has become large-holding farms each operating on land that might have had 10 or 20 families individually farming it in 1910 with many kids for each family for something like 50-100 people collectively working that land - now the large farm only employs 15-20 people. And due to the lack of places to work in the town from all those stores and services closing, actual town-dwellers are down a lot too. To cap it all off a lot of these small factories and mills aren't competitive in a world with all this improved transportation by truck and container vessel, and when a business can build a big factory outside a big city to do the work of many small ones. So these factories and mills, the last major employment in the area, start shutting down or severely cutting hours/staff to match reduced demand.

2000s to now: Most of these small towns are now about as hosed as they'll ever be, and that's really hosed. All the major economic engines of the small towns and their surrounding rural areas have been steadily eliminated over the past 100 years. This isn't to say all small towns are hosed, many managed to luck into things like being wear a major shopping center was built for its surrounding area (though that usually turbofucks every other surrounding town) or happen to have major tourist or transportation qualities that maintain a decent level of economic activity. But the average small town doesn't have any of those sorts of things, and if it's located reasonably near to the towns that do they're going to get hosed by it by being less attractive. An interesting aspect of this decline is that many of the people left are wealthier than you might expect - the farmers owning the massively expanded farms make pretty good money from their crops and federal subsidies, and a lot of the people who were very poor were forced by economics to move away long ago. There's also usually generic rich people around who wanted an estate with a lot of land, and can afford to deal with very extended drives to the cities or whatever - many of these people are retirees with sizeable nest eggs to afford this.

These small towns now have very little chance of ever recovering, unless suburban sprawl manages to reach them. Their original base of "being the only place the local farmers could easily get to" died 100 years ago. The minor factories/mills that kept them going for a while after the commerce section started to die finally died 20-50 years ago. Now the only thing that could really help any one of them without the suburban areas happening to grow to them, would be some company finding a reason to move operations there - but there aren't nearly enough of those to go around across the tens of thousands of small towns across the country. And tourism isn't going to pick up in most of them, because they aren't located near anything particularly interesting - and for the ones who are, there's usually already some place that has the local tourist trade locked down.

Also as a side note: usually larger towns that had their factories die were able to pivot into being more of an office or services based employment market, or to coast by as a place to live relatively cheaply and commute to a better employment center. But the average small town doesn't have that critical mass of people to pivot into equivalent local employment of another type, nor was it close enough to pivot into being a bedroom community with most local employment being strip mall type stores for the convenience of not driving all the way to where you work to shop for basic stuff. Perhaps if the factories had straight up died 50-80 years ago when the small towns and their surrounding areas hadn't lost so many people, they could have sustained the necessary changes.

I read this and appreciate that you posted it thanks

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Roughly how many speeches to her corporate backers would Hillary have to give to earn a year of Trump tower secret service rent?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Grapplejack posted:

It's unethical for him to profit from this. To me the bigger issue is Melania not moving to the White House. Tax payers shouldn't have to pay for the President's wife to live in New York City. It's going to cost at least a million a day. Ridiculous waste of money.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

jBrereton posted:

Roughly how many speeches to her corporate backers would Hillary have to give to earn a year of Trump tower secret service rent?

Somewhere between five and ten.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Looks like Jill Stein actually filed the required paper work for a Wisconsin recount.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Totally unrelated but I just rewatched the Trump Steaks commercial. lol this man is our loving President

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
I wonder if the steaks were the worst thing he hawked. It'd be great if there was a corned beef hash commercial or something.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Polygynous posted:

Some stores around here have given up but I always assumed it was less "people are idiots" than "people steal poo poo". Not that I have anything to back that up other than anecdotally never really having a problem unless someone's there with a completely full cart tying up one station for half an hour. I'd also swear the things just being down for unknown reasons slows things down more than (customer) incompetence.

My local Costco got rid of the 4 self checkouts they had for what I can only assume was them being slow because there were way too may people who would roll up to them with 7 pallet trucks full of different bottles of wine or whatever. At first I didn't like that they'd gotten rid of them, but I'd gotten stuck behind those people that didn't have enough common sense to go to a regular checkout enough times that it made me realize that it was better off without them. They probably could have put up a "Go to a regular register with your $8000 alcohol purchase you loving retard" signs but I'm sure they would have been ignored.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

spotlessd posted:

If you are the head of a fascist state, admired by other fascists, engaged in the business of fascism including expanding the power of the fascist state over which you preside and acting as the steward of a fascist empire, the fact that liberals think you're a great guy is the opposite of conclusive proof that you are secretly not a fascist. My "strong opinion" on the correct definition of fascism is justified by the fact that I didn't just realize it was a thing two weeks ago, that I take a broad view of fascism that includes little things like policy, and also the fact that my team didn't just lose an election for the first time in my young life and I haven't decided therefore that all of democracy is suddenly in peril.

This is a few pages back and I know you've been torn apart by other posters as well, but I just wanted to thank you for this post. It was thoroughly revelatory! Here I was thinking I knew what fascism was because I read and wrote an absolute shitload about it in my PoliSci degree, but no! Turns out I, my fellow students, and my teachers all knew nothing, and our notions of what constitutes fascism were, in fact, pure bunk! It actually simply requires a society to exercise it's power in a manner that Something Awful posted "spotlessd" disagrees with, and anything relating to race, a view of the world grounded in what is 'natural', a hierarchy of men and women, the failed decadence of democracy - all those things mean nothing!

A highly educated, cosmopolitan black man, who did not pontificate about how the blood of the race and the fruits of the earth are one and the same, a man who worked to improve women's rights in the workplace? A man who has been working extremely hard to prepare his successor (A man he clearly detests) for a clean and painless transfer of power? Why, we've pretty much run lightning through Hitler's corpse and enthroned him as Emperor of America.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

paternity suitor posted:

Something like McDonalds is pretty easy to automate. Most Walmart employees can be automated. It's not 100% replacement, but even 50% is millions of people. Those are the low hanging fruit in the service industry.

Wal-mart and McDonalds won't be automated until someone invents a robot that can be yelled at and can do all the jobs rather than being a single-task appliance. A burger-flipping robot is easy, a cashier robot is easy, but a burger-flipping robot that can switch to cashiering if the line gets too long and answer arbitrary customer questions is pretty hard.

Polygynous posted:

Someone who uses a checkout machine once a week is going to be a lot slower at it than someone who spends twenty hours a week just checking people out, even before you factor in mistakes, user error, problems, machine issues, questions, theft, and everything else. Sometimes they're a little slower, sometimes they're a lot slower; regardless, it adds up fast.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Spacebump posted:

It's unethical for him to profit from this. To me the bigger issue is Melania not moving to the White House. Tax payers shouldn't have to pay for the President's wife to live in New York City. It's going to cost at least a million a day. Ridiculous waste of money.
Why not vote libertarian about it lmao

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Grapplejack posted:

Probably because they're supposed to be living in the White House.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I make it a point to never use the self checkout machines at the store because I don't want to encourage them.

I make it a point to always use the self checkout machines because gently caress human interaction.

• Locked thread