Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Tim Raines IRL posted:

snuff out in response, problem solved >.<

"Nonblack creature" :eng101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
here's a different version of suicide after a bunch of games against miracles, grixis/4c delver, affinity (lol), UB reanimator. Miracles seems unfavorable but not unwinnable; reanimator was a better matchup with my original list I think.

C-Euro posted:

"Nonblack creature" :eng101:

Maindeck thoughtlace? Too deep? :allears:

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
Just had an interesting match where g1 I got the nuts, lethal beserked Shadows on turn 4 with disruption left over. G2 was long, they kept me off Death's Shadow (but awkwardly, swordsing it giving me back most of my life) and I was able to grind out a win eventually with a berserked flipped Delver.

Is berserk in general just bad in Delver decks? it seems like a cute way to say "surprise, you thought you had another turn and now you're hosed", but maybe lightning bolt does that well enough and this is more situational. On an Angler it's almost 2 bolts... but I guess PoP is better burn. I am biased, I've loved berserk since 1994. I've realized that in this deck it doubles pretty well as removal, kill your meddling mage, take an extra 2 damage to feed my suicide...

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Nov 25, 2016

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
This just in: Pauper loving rules.

Played paper pauper and it is just sweet tits.

Got to see brainstorm into thought scour during end step, and brainstorm into crack evolving wilds during end step, which are both sweet loving plays.

I got to see a guy drop a T1 gorilla shaman versus affinity in a G3

I saw a T3 non-evoked Mulldrifter

I personally got to Momentary blink a mulldrifter in response to removal.

And I got to reality acid a million loving permanents

This format is great.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

acid trip is a sweet deck and it is cool that we can finally player pauper again after it being ruined by drake

that BUG death's shadow deck is an abomination

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

that BUG death's shadow deck is an abomination

yup and it's so much loving fun I don't even.
end of game3 from one of my delver matches:

I find that I tend to side out the wraith/reanimate package a lot of the time, so I am not sure I like it. On the other hand, it's fine against decks like Miracles where my life total doesn't matter for the first 2/3rds of the game.

Not suggesting this is good, if I wanted the best delver deck I'd play UR or Grixis. I like winning off berserk. FWIW I've won 7 out of 11 matches in 24 hours with versions of this deck, some of that was in the tournament practice rooms but I think I'm up 80 play points overall.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Have you lost multiple Shadows to a single Swords yet? Am I overestimating the seriousness of that problem?

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Elyv posted:

Have you lost multiple Shadows to a single Swords yet? Am I overestimating the seriousness of that problem?

It hasn't happened yet; if I stick with this nonsense for long enough I'm sure it will eventually.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Swords your Death's Shadow, make you gain (13 - Current Life), kill your other Death's Shadow has to be the best feeling.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Nope. The best feeling was killing 3 of the fuckers in Modern with a Primal Command. Turns out it says "target player" in front of "gains 7 life". They were only 4/4s, drew more creatures than spells I guess, so he couldn't even fetch and shock to save them.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Voyager I posted:

Swords your Death's Shadow, make you gain (13 - Current Life), kill your other Death's Shadow has to be the best feeling.

If it was a 2-for-1, probably. I've had at least one game lately where someone propelled me back to 13 with a swords, and that put enough time on the clock for me to just kill them with a delver. I've been tending to bring in DRS out of the board in games where I expect my life total to be scary for most of the late game.

e: since swords on a Shadow will always put me back to exactly 13, I have been tending to leave an uncracked fetch up if I think that might be relevant. Hasn't been yet, but let me get another 100 matches in...

I have a suspicion that Leovold could be situationally very good in this deck, but I am not running any tutors, and I don't want to put in 2-3 of them. 1 seems dubious without GSZ.

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Nov 26, 2016

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Someone talk me out of picking up the dozen or so bulk commons/uncommons I need to finish this dumb Rally deck-
Deck: BW Rally

//Lands
4 Bloodstained Mire
1 Caves of Koilos
2 Concealed Courtyard
2 Godless Shrine
3 Marsh Flats
2 Plains
5 Swamp
1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
1 Vault of the Archangel

//Spells
1 Liliana of the Veil
3 Path to Exile
4 Rally the Ancestors
4 Return to the Ranks

//Creatures
4 Blood Artist
4 Bloodthrone Vampire
4 Gatekeeper of Malakir
4 Geralf's Messenger
3 Pawn of Ulamog
4 Viscera Seer
4 Zulaport Cutthroat

//Sideboard
2 Disenchant
2 Dismember
2 Leyline of the Void
1 Path to Exile
2 Stony Silence
3 Thoughtseize
3 Vampire Nighthawk

Display deck statistics

Shamelessly cribbed (and slightly modifed) from SaffronOlive's Budget Modern collection on mtggoldfish. Which has some pretty sweet decks, I really want to try that Enchantress list even if it's just the budget version with Gardens and Heaths.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Dec 3, 2016

Biaga
Oct 27, 2009
I am curious to see what people think about the fat packs. My studies for the simester are coming to an end and I am thinking of picking up something for myself to celebrate. I am leaning toward a fat pack, but I am not sure if it's the desire for more cardboard or it could actually be worthwhile.

What Fatpack is the best possible bang for your buck right now? I have played draft a couple of times with kaladesh, at one my friend got a 170$ Mox Opal foil, but I know nothing of the value of other releases.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
You're going to get a stack of booster packs and the best thing in them will be one or two dual lands. You're not going to get a masterpiece in them

Don't buy booster packs.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Biaga posted:

I am curious to see what people think about the fat packs. My studies for the simester are coming to an end and I am thinking of picking up something for myself to celebrate. I am leaning toward a fat pack, but I am not sure if it's the desire for more cardboard or it could actually be worthwhile.

What Fatpack is the best possible bang for your buck right now? I have played draft a couple of times with kaladesh, at one my friend got a 170$ Mox Opal foil, but I know nothing of the value of other releases.

buying packs of any kind is bad EV compared to just buying singles. Your odds of getting a Masterpiece foil in a Kaladesh fatpack is 9/144, not very good. Buy packs if you enjoy the lotto-ticket nature of cracking packs, otherwise buy a single that you'll actually use in a deck.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Every MTG thread title needs to be Don't buy booster packs

Biaga
Oct 27, 2009
point taken, spend money on booze, drugs and hookers.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Seriously, you'll have a better time doing that.

I used to buy packs for Pokémon all the time when I was 13 hoping to pull certain cards in 2000. The guy that ran the place told me that the $15 I spent on packs to get a $15 card would be better spent getting the $15 Hitmonchan out of the case. So, I listened, bought non-holo rares and damages holos out of the $2 and $4 binders, traded aggressively for staple Trainer cards, and would steamroll events for store credit that I used for cards sleeves and...packs.

I was still in middle school :v: But the point is that I got more value out of spending $4 on a scratched Alakazam than I did on buying packs that had poo poo in them.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

C-Euro posted:

Someone talk me out of picking up the dozen or so bulk commons/uncommons I need to finish this dumb Rally deck-
Deck: BW Rally

//Lands
4 Bloodstained Mire
1 Caves of Koilos
2 Concealed Courtyard
2 Godless Shrine
3 Marsh Flats
2 Plains
5 Swamp
1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
1 Vault of the Archangel

//Spells
1 Liliana of the Veil
3 Path to Exile
4 Rally the Ancestors
4 Return to the Ranks

//Creatures
4 Blood Artist
4 Bloodthrone Vampire
4 Gatekeeper of Malakir
4 Geralf's Messenger
3 Pawn of Ulamog
4 Viscera Seer
4 Zulaport Cutthroat

//Sideboard
2 Disenchant
2 Dismember
2 Leyline of the Void
1 Path to Exile
2 Stony Silence
3 Thoughtseize
3 Vampire Nighthawk

Display deck statistics

Shamelessly cribbed (and slightly modifed) from SaffronOlive's Budget Modern collection on mtggoldfish. Which has some pretty sweet decks I have to admit, I really want to try that Enchantress list, even just the budget version with Gardens and Heaths.

We're in the heart of the Dredge meta and literally everyone is packing a plan to either completely hose out graveyard decks postboard or is just trying to win the game in three turns against decks with limited interaction, and the hallmark deck for that strategy doesn't care about you gaining life. It is not a great time to be playing a deck that wants to durdle around and try to get value out of the graveyard.

I'm also not sold on going straight BW. Dropping green cuts you out of some really powerful stuff like Company and combo finishes with Persist (and access to Melira, who is a loving great card right now).

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

it turns out that Standstill Humans isn't a good deck. At least, I think that's what it was. It played standstill and cavern naming human.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
My favorite bad legacy brew is Werestill, thank you for your patronage.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

black potus posted:

With werewolves? Or werebears? I played against a guy in vintage up in PA a few times who played Werebear aggro-control in vintage. It was quite sweet.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
Werewolves. Was running 4 waif 4 mayor 4 something else that i don't remember, vials, standstill, mutavaults, bolt, force, etc.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Voyager I posted:

We're in the heart of the Dredge meta and literally everyone is packing a plan to either completely hose out graveyard decks postboard or is just trying to win the game in three turns against decks with limited interaction, and the hallmark deck for that strategy doesn't care about you gaining life. It is not a great time to be playing a deck that wants to durdle around and try to get value out of the graveyard.

I'm also not sold on going straight BW. Dropping green cuts you out of some really powerful stuff like Company and combo finishes with Persist (and access to Melira, who is a loving great card right now).

Yeah the ubiquity of Dredge (and thus GY hate) is keeping me from finishing it up. I just have all of the expensive parts already so I thought it might be fun, maybe another day.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

C-Euro posted:

Yeah the ubiquity of Dredge (and thus GY hate) is keeping me from finishing it up. I just have all of the expensive parts already so I thought it might be fun, maybe another day.

If all you're missing is random commons and uncommons I see no reason not to spend like $2 to just finish it.

black potus posted:

I thought it was Deathblade :v:

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

3/0d legacy with UW Landstill featuring 2 Hallowed Fountains, 1 Tundra, and 1 new Emrakul. Beat Death and Taxes, ANT, and BR Reanimator. I'll post a list of this pile when I get home.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006

Elyv posted:

I thought it was Deathblade :v:

gently caress I HAVE BEEN OWNED !!!

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

suicidesteve posted:

3/0d legacy with UW Landstill featuring 2 Hallowed Fountains, 1 Tundra, and 1 new Emrakul. Beat Death and Taxes, ANT, and BR Reanimator. I'll post a list of this pile when I get home.

Welcome to tier 0!

For the record, I took the Emrakul out for the Vendilion Clique that was in the board and replaced it with a Disrupt because man, Emrakul was not good. I think I was like, 5 mana away from casting it at one point and that was the closest I ever got.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Played dredge tonight for the first time at modern FNM with no practice and went 3-1. Never played more than 15 minutes each round.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

ThePeavstenator posted:

Played dredge tonight for the first time at modern FNM with no practice and went 3-1. Never played more than 15 minutes each round.

Sounds about right.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

ThePeavstenator posted:

Sounds like a good way to play magic.

empathe
Nov 9, 2003

>:|

suicidesteve posted:

Welcome to tier 0!

For the record, I took the Emrakul out for the Vendilion Clique that was in the board and replaced it with a Disrupt because man, Emrakul was not good. I think I was like, 5 mana away from casting it at one point and that was the closest I ever got.

How was new Gideon? I'm interested in this.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

empathe posted:

How was new Gideon? I'm interested in this.

He was actually really good. Jace is better for grinding on a clear board obviously but Gideon is really good for ending the game and he's better when the board isn't clear. I beat ANT game 1 by just jamming a Gideon the turn after he tried to go off and killing him in 2 turns before he could rebuild. I'm not sure Jace would have won me that game when he was at 14 life and had 2 cards to my 1. People overlook just how fast he actually kills, especially if they've spent a few life fetching and Probing.

I really wanted one more win condition when I was making this, and I originally had a Dragonlord Ojutai. Unfortunately he's not very good in a room with 2-4 Death and Taxes players so it became Emrakul because I am a huge fan of making bad choices (see also: 1 Stifle RUG Delver.) That was terrible, which I knew it would be, so I put the Clique in but I'm not sure it shouldn't be another Gideon. Or maybe the 4th Ponder.

I really need to get some EEs again. It's the perfect card for this deck. I sold/traded mine because lol $90 foils.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

suicidesteve posted:

Welcome to tier 0!

This is a very silly deck and I like it. I assume Standstill + PWs isn't a new innovation?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

C-Euro posted:

This is a very silly deck and I like it. I assume Standstill + PWs isn't a new innovation?

Probably not. I just had a bad idea for a bad deck and ran with it.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

suicidesteve posted:

Probably not. I just had a bad idea for a bad deck and ran with it.

Hey man, dumb pet decks are like half the appeal of this game. No hate here.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe
I went 3-1-1 to Top 8 the SCG IQ Legacy event held at my local store. The top 8 was Miracles, Turbo Depths, Eldrazi, Death and Taxes, Burn, Jund, Omnitell (me), and Lands.

The bottom 4 seeds advanced in the semis. I defeated Turbo Depths, Lands beat Miracles, Jund beat Eldrazi, and Death and Taxes beat Burn. I got paired against Jund which is almost as good as it gets. He put lethal in play and forced me to go for it. I put in Omniscience, Brainstormed and whiffed. I cruised pretty easily in the other two games.

Death and Taxes beat lands in a very close 3 games. We agreed to split the prize (we each got $125 cash and 12 packs), and I conceded because I have no desire to play in an Invitational and play formats I don't like.

My tournament went: R1 W (2-1) Shardless BUG (only loss was him hymn in both my lands in G2.

R2 Food Chain (2-0) This is a new player. I have Boseiju. He loses. Game 2 he leaves some subpar cards in his deck, he's stuck with a handful of stifles that don't really do anything.

R3 Eldrazi L (2-0) I cast Impulse 3 times and a Fact or Fiction, and couldn't find an Omniscience. Game 2 I mulled to 4.

R4 Goblins W (2-1) Game 1 I'm one mana short of casting my Dream Halls and winning. Games 2 and 3 I destroy him with Young Pyromancer. He probably should have won the match. He drew a Matron and tutored a Warchief. If he gets Sharpshooter, I don't think I win that game.

R5 draw into Top 8.

It was a good time. We only had two decks with multiple copies (3 Burn decks and 2 Death and Taxes decks). Fun games, nobody was a dick or a poor sport.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Yesterday I beat Lantern Control with my ghetto Ponza deck in what is a rather bizarre matchup.

G1: Mull to 5, topdeck Chandra. He doesn't get a Needle and she wins the game by herself.
G2: Board in Sudden Shocks as burn spells, spend the first four turns swinging for 1 with Arbor Elf, close out the game by curving Inferno Titan as 6 Mana Lava Spike into hardcast Bonfire as 7 Mana Boros Charm.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe
Here's a little thought exercise. We're in my end step. My opponent has a Thespian's Stage, two Lotus Petals, a Snow Covered Forest. I have 3 Islands. My hand is Split Decision, Cunning Wish, Omniscience, Fact or Fiction, Emrakul. My opponent casts Crop Rotation, sacrificing his Forest. How do you not lose?

Here is my decklist. Relevant information: I sideboarded out 3 Spell Pierce for the Young Pyromancers in this game.

Deck: UR Omnitell

//Main
2 Ancient Tomb
2 Boseiju, Who Shelters All
4 Brainstorm
4 Cunning Wish
2 Dream Halls
2 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
2 Fact or Fiction
4 Force of Will
4 Impulse
5 Island
4 Omniscience
4 Polluted Delta
4 Ponder
3 Preordain
4 Scalding Tarn
4 Show and Tell
3 Spell Pierce
1 Split Decision
2 Volcanic Island

//Sideboard
1 Eladamri's Call
1 Firemind's Foresight
1 Flusterstorm
1 Intuition
1 Kozilek's Return
1 Pact of Negation
1 Pyroclasm
1 Red Elemental Blast
1 Release the Ants
1 Sudden Shock
1 Surgical Extraction
1 Wipe Away
3 Young Pyromancer

Display deck statistics

EvilBeard fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Dec 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

EvilBeard posted:

Here's a little thought exercise. We're in my end step. My opponent has a Thespian's Stage, two Lotus Petals, a Snow Covered Forest. I have 3 Islands. My hand is Split Decision, Cunning Wish, Omniscience, Fact or Fiction, Emrakul. My opponent casts Crop Rotation, sacrificing his Forest. How do you not lose?

Here is my decklist. Relevant information: I sideboarded out 3 Spell Pierce for the Young Pyromancers in this game.

I think you Wish for one of the Spell Pierces to prevent them comboing off on your end step but I keep coming up one mana short when trying to sequence it. Does it involve using Split Decision to copy the Crop Rotation and get an extra mana source?

Also you forgot the decklist!

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Dec 4, 2016