Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
The problem with the ratings bubble is no one ever looks at when exactly it blew up. The 90's had steady, if large, growth, but the highest rated NASCAR race of all time was the race after the 2001 Daytona 500. From then on, ratings were huge until 2006 or so.

Basically, ghouls started watching casually in 2001 for about 5 years or so, and since they are dumb, NASCAR catered to them some.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

VikingSkull posted:

The problem with the ratings bubble is no one ever looks at when exactly it blew up. The 90's had steady, if large, growth, but the highest rated NASCAR race of all time was the race after the 2001 Daytona 500. From then on, ratings were huge until 2006 or so.

Basically, ghouls started watching casually in 2001 for about 5 years or so, and since they are dumb, NASCAR catered to them some.
Dale dead, ratings up.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Elitist Bitch posted:

Live sports ratings are down across the board- even the NFL is not immune. Despite the fact that they're trying to grow the sport in Europe, they're getting pressure to stop showing games at balls in the morning on the west coast. My guess is that cord-cutters are finally getting to live sports, and they're going to have to give up and sell directly to consumers. I live in the local broadcast area for my NFL team and I pay $20/season to listen to the radio broadcasts of my "local" baseball team (meaning that I can't get them on MLB.TV) that isn't even carried in my local cable system. This is what is killing sports in general and NASCAR in particular- people under 40 simply won't get cable to watch sports, especially as networks pay to put those sports on progressively higher tiers of cable.

What's killing other sports on TV is the overabundance of commercials. NFL games are unwatchable with it's tiny little bits of action sandwiched between endless dick pill ads.

What's killing NASCAR is that it looks really boring on modern TV. If you haven't been to a race the cars look slow and boring when watching in HD. It doesn't help that the TV directors all have ADD and refuse to keep a camera focused on anything for more then 30 seconds.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Elitist Bitch posted:

Live sports ratings are down across the board- even the NFL is not immune. Despite the fact that they're trying to grow the sport in Europe, they're getting pressure to stop showing games at balls in the morning on the west coast. My guess is that cord-cutters are finally getting to live sports, and they're going to have to give up and sell directly to consumers. I live in the local broadcast area for my NFL team and I pay $20/season to listen to the radio broadcasts of my "local" baseball team (meaning that I can't get them on MLB.TV) that isn't even carried in my local cable system. This is what is killing sports in general and NASCAR in particular- people under 40 simply won't get cable to watch sports, especially as networks pay to put those sports on progressively higher tiers of cable.

The Packers last I checked offered their radio broadcasts /for free/ online. I would use that when I wasn't at a bar or didn't have cable.

e:

daslog posted:

What's killing other sports on TV is the overabundance of commercials. NFL games are unwatchable with it's tiny little bits of action sandwiched between endless dick pill ads.

What's killing NASCAR is that it looks really boring on modern TV. If you haven't been to a race the cars look slow and boring when watching in HD. It doesn't help that the TV directors all have ADD and refuse to keep a camera focused on anything for more then 30 seconds.

To me, baseball's commercials are just timed just right: every half inning, pitcher changes, and injuries. You know when one is coming, they're at a times that make sense, and they're never too long. Then again, with a 162 game season, they don't need /as/ many.

iospace fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Nov 24, 2016

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
I pretty much loathe most sports broadcasts now because they can't shut the gently caress up and need to film every spare second with human interest stories or banter so half the time I'll watch the game but mute it and stream radio.

And yeah, endless commercials. gently caress cable I'll never have it again

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

I finished 12th in Fantasy Nascar, with 21 top 10 finishes and zero wins.

That level of futile consistency is impressive, imo

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Neodoomium posted:

I finished 12th in Fantasy Nascar, with 21 top 10 finishes and zero wins.

That level of futile consistency is impressive, imo

Matt Kenseth disagrees, though he also got a win

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

noooo i'm the matt kenseth of fantasy

*wrecks fantasy joey logano*

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

iospace posted:

To me, baseball's commercials are just timed just right: every half inning, pitcher changes, and injuries. You know when one is coming, they're at a times that make sense, and they're never too long. Then again, with a 162 game season, they don't need /as/ many.

This is basically right, most sports save their ad breaks for natural (or in some cases rules specifically made to allow for ads) breaks in play. Motorsport's really the only sport where ad breaks happen while stuff is actively happening.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Watching US soccer feeds is hilarious. In proper countries once the players walk on to the pitch no ads. But in the US they try to fit in one last ad between walking onto the pitch and kick off.

I havent watched f1 in 10 years but it would be like going to an ad break between the warm up lap and lining up to start or something.

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Nov 25, 2016

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
That's why I love Moto GP.

Ads up until the sighting lap, then nothing until race end.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

In the UK Channel 4 go without ads in F1 from the start of the formation lap to the end of the race. It's pretty much the standard for UK motorsport to not have ads mid-race. Obviously Eurosport have ads for WEC but they also have the ad-free option if you subscribe to their web service.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Ads during an endurance race are fine. You have 6+ hours of action. Part of the problem is that ads are so integrated into US tv is unavoidable. Though they manage to do soccer without them

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things
I gave up on watching TV for streaming with ad block after they started having announcers do lead ins to loving ads as if they were about to go into some storyline segment

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal
The NFL Red Zone is commercial free for the seven hours it's on Sunday. It's awesome.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

RedZone is the best thing to ever happen to sports.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

kidcoelacanth posted:

Confirmed.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

algebra testes posted:

Watching US soccer feeds is hilarious. In proper countries once the players walk on to the pitch no ads. But in the US they try to fit in one last ad between walking onto the pitch and kick off.

I havent watched f1 in 10 years but it would be like going to an ad break between the warm up lap and lining up to start or something.

Even though it's the "1pm Eastern" time slot, "Early" NFL games on the US networks (FOX, CBS) have the very specific start time of 1:01pm Eastern so they can shoehorn one local commercial plus the NFL title card in before the broadcast starts.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

kidcoelacanth posted:

It's good from 1 to 4:15.

Past that? it's pretty much useless.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
capitalism sucks

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

Got Jeff Gordon's autobiography. Holy poo poo his biological father looks like a carbon copy of Jeff. It's weird.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

algebra testes posted:

Dale dead, ratings up.

There's another Dale, we can make it happen again.

mearn
Aug 2, 2011

Kevin Harvick's #1 Fan!

Darrell dead would probably do more for ratings than Dale tbh

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

mearn posted:

lol

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

mearn posted:

I'm gonna make a time machine and go back to 1990 and unscrew a few screws in DW's seat for the july Daytona race. Now he'll be the patron saint of NASCAR and never had to slog through the 90s.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

BMB5150 posted:

I'm gonna make a time machine and go back to 1990 and unscrew a few screws in DW's seat for the july Daytona race. Now he'll be the patron saint of NASCAR and never had to slog through the 90s.

do not change the timeline so that "he did that hook and go up the hill, man" doesn't exist please

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
who finish in the position
you never want

daslog posted:

Hate to admit how true this is, especially the second half. A few small changes like length of shot wouldn't fix everything, but it would be noticeably better.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I think one thing that needs to change, and I definitely am going to be branded a heretic for this, but they need to move away from v8s and maybe 4 speed gearboxes. I'm neutral in h-patterns though.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

iospace posted:

I think one thing that needs to change, and I definitely am going to be branded a heretic for this, but they need to move away from v8s and maybe 4 speed gearboxes. I'm neutral in h-patterns though.

I wouldn't mind bringing back V6s. Might actually bring other manufacturers in and can make the engines based on stock engines and not the same regs for V8s since the 70s.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

BMB5150 posted:

I wouldn't mind bringing back V6s. Might actually bring other manufacturers in and can make the engines based on stock engines and not the same regs for V8s since the 70s.

3.5L tt v6s please

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

hydrogen-powered rotaries

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Cubey posted:

hydrogen-powered rotaries

:getin:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I love V6-era BGN.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

iospace posted:

going to more gears doesn't do anything when you're in top gear for 500 miles, though, other than make Days of Thunder more believable

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

VikingSkull posted:

going to more gears doesn't do anything when you're in top gear for 500 miles, though, other than make Days of Thunder more believable

It's why I said maybe. The only courses I can see extra gears being a factor are the road courses (natch) and possibly Pocono, but beyond that, I agree with no extra gears needed.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

VikingSkull posted:

Why is this post phrased like that's not a valid reason for doing something?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Ty Dillon to Germain in the 13 with GEICO sponsorship.

E- Bowyer is suing HSM for $2.2M in unpaid salary.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Nov 29, 2016

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Roush a 2 car team now

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i look forward to front row motorsports acquiring roush in the next couple years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Cubey posted:

i look forward to front row motorsports acquiring roush in the next couple years

Down with this

Buescher is a really big get for JTG, but I would guess Roush will try to stick him in the 17 for 2018 given that it's just a loan.

• Locked thread