Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

AggressivelyStupid posted:

LeBron is the greatest of all time and I will fight anyone who disagrees

Same

2016 finals catapulted him to the front

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Time posted:

Marcus Camby was hosting thanksgiving on his estate and his 9 year old autistic nephew wondered off and has been missing for 24 hours

2016 is the worst

euphronius posted:

Same

2016 finals catapulted him to the front

This is asinine one finals performance doesn't make or break a person's claim to the throne

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Metapod posted:

2016 is the worst

This is asinine one finals performance doesn't make or break a person's claim to the throne

Actually it's a compelling argument. Once we get past the cosmically idiotic notion of GOAT in the first place that sportsball fans have.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
There's something to be said about guys like Davis and Westbrook and the numbers they're putting up being historic, and it is a shame that their teams are so bad, surrounding them.

Except if the teams surrounding them were better, they'd probably be putting up less historic numbers. I'm honestly more surprised and impressed that Durant is actually playing as well as he is for the Warriors this year. He's got what I'm thinking has to be an unsustainably good shooting season going right now. Flipside, Thompson and Green's shooting is both pretty dramatically down from where it was a season ago. The Warriors this year make both arguments make less sense.

If playing with better players makes you appreciably better, or having better teammates to spread the floor makes your own shooting better, you'd expect to see a big increase in, if not raw stats, then things like percentages for all three guys. Instead, on offense, only Durant seems to have benefitted from his addition to the team and the other two, significantly less so.

Also scary is Green's defense seems to have improved, somehow. That's just not right. It's a shame he's an rear end because 1)He's unique and crazy good and people should have known he'd be good given his collegiate career but no one did and 2)If he's ever in town again some off season I'll have to pretend to like him.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Defense is about sacrifice. Green has to do way less on offense as a scorer, so he can focus more energy on defense. Currently, the Warriors are putting Durant as a stagger focus point for the 2nd unit, so he's feasting on the bench units until Curry and Green rotate back in the start of the 2nd quarter. Also it's really hard to guard Durant when his teammates are Curry, Thompson, and Green on the wing instead of Roberson and Adams.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Metapod posted:

Beating the greatest regular season team of all time after going down 1-3 is one of the greatest accomplishments and having great accomplishments is what makes you the GOAT?

Anyhow it's even more narrow than that, only a single play, a few seconds, one moment, he was behind Jordan until THE BLOCK

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
"OH BLOCKED BY JAMES" was the exact moment he tied for GOAT and the missed dunk afterwards is the only reason there's still any lingering question :colbert:

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

EvanTH posted:

Beating the greatest regular season team of all time after going down 1-3 is one of the greatest accomplishments and having great accomplishments is what makes you the GOAT?

Anyhow it's even more narrow than that, only a single play, a few seconds, one moment, he was behind Jordan until THE BLOCK

Don't forget that said greatest regular season team had the first unanimous MVP

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Jordan played in an era of trash defense and got carried by the real GOAT of his team, Luc Longley.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

AggressivelyStupid posted:

Jordan played in an era of trash defense and got carried by the real GOAT of his team, Luc Longley.

here's an example of trash defense jordan played against:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tH5YA5qJnpo

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

R.D. Mangles posted:

Exactly, elho was human garbage

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

R.D. Mangles posted:

Are the celtics the only team to put a white guy on Jordan and win a series?

Hashtag Banterzone fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Nov 26, 2016

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
Defenses are way better now than they have ever been.

My hot take is that the Lebron Cavs, Heat, 15 or 16 Warriors and the 14 Spurs would beat any previous champion. Except the Cavs and GSW might have trouble with Shaq. Though I fully expect Kobe would have shot his team out of several games trying to match the 3pt shooting.

I'd love to see the 80's teams attempt to defend one of those teams and get 3's rained all over them.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Spite posted:

My hot take is that the Lebron Cavs, Heat, 15 or 16 Warriors and the 14 Spurs would beat any previous champion. Except the Cavs and GSW might have trouble with Shaq. Though I fully expect Kobe would have shot his team out of several games trying to match the 3pt shooting.

I'd love to see the 80's teams attempt to defend one of those teams and get 3's rained all over them.

I would bet the Cavs and Warriors beat Shaq by virtue of superior 3-point shooting and hacking him on the other side.

Also the pick and roll mismatch meta is a relatively new thing, so putting Shaq to try and defend in space might also be a big problem.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

my favorite jordan thing is every single dude in the 1990s who called himself The Jordan Stopper

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Shear Modulus posted:

Don't forget that said greatest regular season team had the first unanimous MVP

Wow I almost forgot that the Golden State Warriors blew a 3-1 lead in the NBA finals despite having the first unanimous MVP

because some idiot in Boston fan voted for Melo instead of LeBron a few years earlier

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Don't forget the Alan Iverson vote in Shaq's year.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

EvanTH posted:

"OH BLOCKED BY JAMES" was the exact moment he tied for GOAT and the missed dunk afterwards is the only reason there's still any lingering question :colbert:

still angers me that habitual meat-checking coward deprived us of the chaos dunk

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

LeBron took a team coached by mike brown and with the second and third highest minutes on the team going to Larry Hughes and Drew Gooden to the NBA finals. Jordan needed Pippen and Grant/Rodman + Phil Jackson as a coach to get there.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
also holy moly the mavs are worse than an unpolished turd

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

:rip: Alex Len :rip:

https://twitter.com/fsnorth/status/802337279217807360?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

MY BOY

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Porzingis claimed Cody Zeller's soul

https://twitter.com/theclemreport/status/802341650085408768

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
his face as he falls down is perfect

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

the zellers are a bunch of dime store plumlees imo

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Can I still claim a boy because I want Patty Mills.

Also I think to get a real debate going we need to examine whether a modern 3-happy championship team could beat the Dream Team.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

R.D. Mangles posted:

the zellers are a bunch of dime store plumlees imo

Speaking as a coastal city type my understanding is that the foreign lands of Ye Middle Weste are roamed by clans of misshapen giants like the Plumlees and Zellers.

The reason a few of them leave their homelands to play in the NBA is because there are no jobs there anymore.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

most people in the midwest are indeed large and misshapen although not in the same way as NBA midwesterners are.

Menstrual Show
Jun 3, 2004

euphronius posted:

Tobias Harris shoots threes.

He should start making more of them, then. KCP is the only piston with a decent 3P% at 37%.

Also, what the hell is up with Stanley Johnson? Was suspended for tonight's game for violation of team rules.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Kind of hard to say what he did without more info, it can be anything from missing a plane flight to freaking out on salvia in a condo lobby.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

IcePhoenix posted:

LeBron took a team coached by mike brown and with the second and third highest minutes on the team going to Larry Hughes and Drew Gooden to the NBA finals. Jordan needed Pippen and Grant/Rodman + Phil Jackson as a coach to get there.

Screw the whole "Pippen is better than any James Sidekick" argument. The real reason James' accomplishments are more impressive is Dennis Rodman is the best complimentary player of all time.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

Spite posted:

I think it's the '08 Celtics that starts each championship team being capable of taking down the 01 Lakers, 96 Bulls, and 99 Spurs (the three teams I think were the best prior in order). The '07 Spurs are borderline but fall short I think.

Bashez fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Nov 26, 2016

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

EvanTH posted:

Yeah

I think he's the best but agree you can reasonably see it otherwise

If he hit that dunk ....

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Shear Modulus posted:

Also I think to get a real debate going we need to examine whether a modern 3-happy championship team could beat the Dream Team.

I reckon yeah probably, most of the members of that team are pretty old now.

Also Wilt is actually the GOAT.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Kevin Martin has retired

It's a shame his shoulder injury pretty much derailed his career. Thank you for giving us James Harden.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
LeBron is like Jordan and Pippen had their skillsets combined and put in a giant, fast, freakish body. The one thing he's missing is Jordan's psychosis.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Please give all of Dunn's minutes to Tyus, Thibs.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Alex Len had 7 turnovers

3 of them were because of inbound passes

how

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Westbrook plays a low energy game and generally looked like he was going through the motions till the end. Stat line: 36 points 12 rebounds 18 assists lol

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

https://twitter.com/JimPeteHoops/status/802370453327093760

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Veryslightlymad posted:

There's something to be said about guys like Davis and Westbrook and the numbers they're putting up being historic, and it is a shame that their teams are so bad, surrounding them.

I'm honestly more surprised and impressed that Durant is actually playing as well as he is for the Warriors this year. He's got what I'm thinking has to be an unsustainably good shooting season going right now. Flipside, Thompson and Green's shooting is both pretty dramatically down from where it was a season ago. The Warriors this year make both arguments make less sense.

Their numbers will drop.

Durant's shooting will slow down. It happens to all players every year.

Veryslightlymad posted:

If playing with better players makes you appreciably better, or having better teammates to spread the floor makes your own shooting better, you'd expect to see a big increase in, if not raw stats, then things like percentages for all three guys. Instead, on offense, only Durant seems to have benefitted from his addition to the team and the other two, significantly less so.

It's still very early in the season and it would've been hard for Curry to improve upon his numbers from last year no matter who he was playing alongside.

They do have the highest team ORtg of all-time right now.

Noctone posted:

also holy moly the mavs are worse than an unpolished turd

46% of SA voters have the Mavericks in the 2017 playoffs.

• Locked thread