Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Good episode. Laughed a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Re-watch the 'official release' bit with the volume turned up

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Not hugely into Dende's new characterisation.
They took the existing DBZA mold and turned it to 11, and yeah, it's a little off-putting. I did like the god, dog, what the gently caress bit.

Good episode though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Not hugely into Dende's new characterisation.

Good ep overall though

This isn't a new characterization for him though. It's exactly how he's always acted when he had power. Remember back on Namek he tricked Krillin into thinking he was immortal and taunted the poo poo out of Vegeta and gave "never piss off the white mage" rants.

DBZA Dende has always been a little poo poo to everyone who isn't Gohan, he's just rarely had the power to do anything about it before.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Actually really enjoyed the bit with Gero's son.

Vegeta in the time chamber got the biggest laugh out of me.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

ImpAtom posted:

This isn't a new characterization for him though. It's exactly how he's always acted when he had power. Remember back on Namek he tricked Krillin into thinking he was immortal and taunted the poo poo out of Vegeta and gave "never piss off the white mage" rants.

DBZA Dende has always been a little poo poo to everyone who isn't Gohan, he's just rarely had the power to do anything about it before.

Plus his frame of reference is Guru, so this is all 100% normal to him.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Little Green has hit puberty and it's awkward.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Gonzo McFee posted:

Little Green has hit puberty and it's awkward.

What does that entail even for a species that doesn't reproduce sexually

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

My story begins with a girl shooting a little boy in the face...

LolitaSama
Dec 27, 2011
DBZ abridged has me wondering. Was there an actual explanation in the canon as to how Mr.Satan won the world martial arts title? Dragon Ball's martial arts tournaments had some really powerful players from what I recall and anyone from the Z crew could have competed..

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

LolitaSama posted:

DBZ abridged has me wondering. Was there an actual explanation in the canon as to how Mr.Satan won the world martial arts title? Dragon Ball's martial arts tournaments had some really powerful players from what I recall and anyone from the Z crew could have competed..

Mr. Satan is a legitimately powerful martial artist and he won during a time frame when everyone who is a main DBZ cast member was otherwise occupied. Remember that even during the time frame when Goku and Krillin and so-on were competing they were significantly ahead of the game. It's just that without the geniuses competing Mr. Satan is effectively the strongest guy who isn't a main character.

It sort of gets lost in the face of him being a giant joke but Mr. Satan isn't a *complete* fraud. He's just a guy who was top of the line for normal people getting shoved into a world of abnormal people.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

LolitaSama posted:

Pretty much what they said in DBZA. The main characters were too busy with poo poo that actually mattered to compete and Mr. Satan really is just that good from a non-ki user point of view.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

LolitaSama posted:

Mr. Satan is legitimately the greatest martial artist on Earth who can't use Ki.

All of Goku's friends, who were essentially the only Ki users in the tournaments, stopped competing years ago so now a normal super strong god of combat could take the title.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
When we think of Mr. Satan we also usually picture his Buu saga design since that's when we see him the most, but look at him in this episode, the dude's pretty loving ripped.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3xroTMVnRA&t=1m10s

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Liked the new abridged. The Goku/Chichi joke got pretty overwrought, but other than that it was really strong. Cell's take on the SAGA OF DRAGONBALL, just about everything to do with Dende were really funny.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

The Goku/Chi-Chi bit was worth it just for the "Saiyans get stronger every time they come... *yawns* close to death" line

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Really liked the Cell bits and the Dr. Gero video this week.

Where does the idea of the video originate from? I've heard people mention the idea of the basis for Android 16 being Dr. Gero's son being a random Red Ribbon solider that Kid Goku killed before, but I was a bit surprised to see it pop up here.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Spiritus Nox posted:

Liked the new abridged. The Goku/Chichi joke got pretty overwrought, but other than that it was really strong. Cell's take on the SAGA OF DRAGONBALL, just about everything to do with Dende were really funny.

Pretty much how I felt. I liked Piccolo and Trunks making small talk.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Gonna third that. Also strange that they talked about Krillin never getting any, since we've seen him with a girlfriend before.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Raxivace posted:

Really liked the Cell bits and the Dr. Gero video this week.

Where does the idea of the video originate from? I've heard people mention the idea of the basis for Android 16 being Dr. Gero's son being a random Red Ribbon solider that Kid Goku killed before, but I was a bit surprised to see it pop up here.

There's a side interview thing which confirmed it. The same one that confirmed 17 and 18's name as Lapis and Lazuli I think? DBZA made a joke about it before when Trunks and Krillin were in Gero's lab.

Momomo posted:

Gonna third that. Also strange that they talked about Krillin never getting any, since we've seen him with a girlfriend before.

Well, we saw him with a secret undercover agent investigating him for insurance fraud.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Two minutes of good stuff, ten minutes of stuff they criticised entries into their competition for.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
I'm happy Mr. Popo made a new friend.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Most of the sex stuff seemed to be TFS trying to walk back some of the... less pleasant previous implications about Goku and Chichi's relationship in a comic manner.

Also, Go for Ten.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Ah I just noticed the "Why... Is that bad?" joke calling back to earlier

Rhonne posted:

Mr. Popo was great

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

DoctorWhat posted:

Also, Go for Ten.

Well, gently caress. :allears:

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

Rhonne posted:

I'll be looking forward to the jokes they'll have together in Buu Abridged. :allears:

Kithkar
Apr 23, 2011

I'm gonna RENOVATE your ass!

StrifeHira posted:

I'll be looking forward to the jokes they'll have together in Buu Abridged. :allears:

I really hope they do But Abridged. I remember awhile ago they were considering stopping at Cell.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Kithkar posted:

I really hope they do But Abridged. I remember awhile ago they were considering stopping at Cell.

They never said they'd stop at Cell. They just said they can't guarantee they'll be able to continue because Life Happens.

Given that their entire livelihoods are now tied to DBZA, I doubt they'll stop regardless.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kithkar posted:

They said on one of their Xenoverse 2 streams that they're really looking forward to when they reach Vegeta's suicide scene in Buu Abridged, so at least at the moment they're still intending to go on.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
Doesn't Buu kill Mr. Popo at one point? I wonder how they'll handle that when the time comes.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Rhonne posted:

Doesn't Buu kill Mr. Popo at one point? I wonder how they'll handle that when the time comes.

Thought he not really seen dying, just cuts to everyone shocked at Buu got out of the Time Chamber, then cuts to Buu eating a bunch of chocolate.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

No, you see them all eat it.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Funky Valentine posted:

Mr. Satan is legitimately the greatest martial artist on Earth who can't use Ki.

That's like saying someone is the greatest basketball player who can't dunk. Honestly, it's probably closer to saying someone is the greatest basketball player who can't dribble or something. In DBZ's universe ki use is pretty central to martial arts, and even kids can and do use it. Going by the lore for Kami, Corin and other elements present since the original Dragon Ball it always has been.

I guess I just find it weird that when he can watch earlier tournaments and lives in the same settings kid Krillin did that he never heard anything about ki or tried to integrate it. I also just don't find his joke funny or endearing though, so I'm more inclined to nit pick really.

tsob fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Nov 26, 2016

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

tsob posted:

I guess I just find it weird that when he can watch earlier tournaments and lives in the same settings kid Krillin did that he never heard anything about ki or tried to integrate it. I also just don't find his joke funny or endearing though, so I'm more inclined to nit pick really.

He go beaten up by a gang of Ki using toughs in his youth, and swore off those dirty tricks forever.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

ImpAtom posted:

It sort of gets lost in the face of him being a giant joke but Mr. Satan isn't a *complete* fraud. He's just a guy who was top of the line for normal people getting shoved into a world of abnormal people.

I seem to recall that in the Buu saga Goku is looking around for a fallback fusion partner and seems to think that Mr. Satan would be a net positive, albeit a fairly small one.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The actual joke with Mr. Satan is that despite cheating to keep his title (which he's only had to do since Goku + company returned to the scene), he has the biggest heart of all the Z Fighters and will always do the right thing in the end.

Honestly he's more of a genuine hero than Goku.

Rutibex posted:

He go beaten up by a gang of Ki using toughs in his youth, and swore off those dirty tricks forever.

I'm pretty sure Tao Pai Pai also figures into Mr. Satan's tragic history.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Is the right thing deceiving almost the entire world in to believing he's the strongest, including making up increasingly desperate lies to explain the abilities of everyone stronger than him so he can maintain his status and making up excuses to absolve himself of any defeats or even defer himself from fighting because he knows he's out of his depth? Is it taking credit for other people's feats because those people haven't come forward and he thinks he can get away with it? Goku and company eventually okay his activities, but he has no idea of their desires initially and still does it anyway.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The right thing is being ultimately the only reason Kid Buu got iced and being instrumental in Cell's defeat, yes.

And Goku + company don't and never did give a poo poo about getting credit. "This crazy ningen wants to be the face of our little gang and let's the rest of us live in relative peace? Alright, let him. He loving pays us anyway. And has a bigger net contribution to this team than Tien, Chiaotzu, and Yamcha combined."

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Funky Valentine posted:

The right thing is being ultimately the only reason Kid Buu got iced and being instrumental in Cell's defeat, yes.

And Goku + company don't and never did give a poo poo about getting credit. "This crazy ningen wants to be the face of our little gang and let's the rest of us live in relative peace? Alright, let him. He loving pays us anyway. And has a bigger net contribution to this team than Tien, Chiaotzu, and Yamcha combined."

Savage.

But entirely true.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
If by instrumental you mean he threw 16's head Gohan's way, while 16 provided some perspective despite being nothing but a head then sure he was instrumental. It's also not really what I asked and frankly ignores a lot of his behaviour. He's no more heroic than Goku given his self aggrandisement and desire for public acceptance. And while Goku and co don't care about getting credit he didn't actually know that when he took it. That doesn't make him a swell guy. It just means it worked out in the end. Which is, I guess, my problem with him as a character: I don't think him being a shitheel is fine if it all works out, and it's only really in Super that he's contrite about his actions or seems willing to resolve them. And even then, only because he's already rich.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

tsob posted:

If by instrumental you mean he threw 16's head Gohan's way, while 16 provided some perspective despite being nothing but a head then sure he was instrumental. It's also not really what I asked and frankly ignores a lot of his behaviour. He's no more heroic than Goku given his self aggrandisement and desire for public acceptance. And while Goku and co don't care about getting credit he didn't actually know that when he took it. That doesn't make him a swell guy. It just means it worked out in the end. Which is, I guess, my problem with him as a character: I don't think him being a shitheel is fine if it all works out, and it's only really in Super that he's contrite about his actions or seems willing to resolve them. And even then, only because he's already rich.

Mr Satan redeems himself 100% in the Buu saga. Did you miss that entire thing, where he convinced Buu to stop murdering the world? He was the only man with the balls to even confront Buu, when the Z fighters hid on the lookout. Sounds heroic to me.

• Locked thread