Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Don't forget none of that is really 4k native content either. It's upscaled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

veni veni veni posted:

Have you already played Far Cry 4? Dying light? GTA 5? Batman?

Probably stuff you are already well aware of but those would probably be up your alley.

SOM isn't a bad buy or anything I just don't really think it's that memorable and it's pretty repetitive and lacking in scenery.

I'd prefer third person

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I love the way Bethesda lets you look at character models in the load screen. It kind of gives you a taste of what Bethesda games would look like if they didn't look bad.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I am an idiot also. I ordered a 65" KS8000 on November 11th from an Amazon 3rd party seller for what seemed ungodly cheap, and of course it was too good to be true because as of today he still hadn't sent it from across the continent. So today I got it refunded, and decided to reserve an SUV car share and go to Best Buy downtown to pick up one because it's $1,100 Cdn off today and it's just another shopping day, right?

Six 65" KS8000s left, they say. I get the last spot in the Best Buy underground parking lot (if you can't park there you're hosed), and literally the last KS8000 in Vancouver even though it only took me 20 minutes to get there. Got it and brought it into my condo by myself. 65" tvs are big.

And now I'm posting on SA instead of checking it out.

Last time I was at that Best Buy, I was in a 100+ person line for the PSVR launch, and I already sold that. I think my brain is broken.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

I love the way Bethesda lets you look at character models in the load screen. It kind of gives you a taste of what Bethesda games would look like if they didn't look bad.

They had this in the PS3 version of Skyrim as well. It was hilarious. Like don't highlight how dogshit your game looks by throwing super high quality models on the loading screen

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

The Witness lets you render full 4K at 30fps.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Aphrodite posted:

I got a Chromecast Ultra for that. Shaw's gonna hate me.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Speaking of Witness, I may as well ask this here:

In the desert, around the third level of the tomb, in the dark room where you can raise and lower the water level, can anyone provide a hint for the third panel? The previous ones had you reflecting light off the water reflections, but I can figure out how to get the reflection tell in that one.

It is the puzzle that originally made me rage quit the game.

In any case I think I will get Hitman on this. I already have the intro pack on PC, but this is a nice display.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Nov 26, 2016

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Unlucky7 posted:

In the desert, around the third level of the tomb, in the dark room where you can raise and lower the water level, can anyone provide a hint for the third panel? The previous ones had you reflecting light off the water reflections, but I can figure out how to get the reflection tell in that one.

In any case I think I will get Hitman on this. I already have the intro pack on PC, but this is a nice display.

I just finished that area last night! All the panels in that room except the one near the end use reflections. I just wandered around looking for the right spots. The later ones you will only get to see temporarily as the water is moving up or down

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

I got a Chromecast Ultra for that

i want to get one but i don't want to pay double the regular for the hypothetical future where classic game room or whatever i watch on youtube creates 4k content.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Unlucky7 posted:

I got a Samsung KS8000 for myself yesterday, to go along with my Pro, because I am an impulsive idiot.

4K isn't a big jump as SD to HD was, but still is really nice. What is as big as a jump as SD to HD is having HDR. The Witness looks absolutely brilliant, and Ratchet and Clank, while not as a big a change as the former, still looks real good. Here is hoping that more games take advantage of HDR from here on out.

I had my expectations low but now that it's all hooked up even 1080p looks way better than my 2015 65" Samsung UN65H7150. I'm blown away. What is a huge, unexpected improvement though is the Tizen UI. It was garbage on my old tv, really slick on this one. Even recognizes Canadian stuff.

300 is on 1080p cable and is blowing my mind. And that's like early HD era. I think even my wife will appreciate this and she thinks I'm insane for caring about 4K.

That's 1080p. Now I gotta set up my stupid harmony remote again. God loving poo poo I hate that thing (until it works)

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I love your cell phone pics of tvs from like 10 feet away. :v:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

I had my expectations low but now that it's all hooked up even 1080p looks way better than my 2015 65" Samsung UN65H7150. I'm blown away. What is a huge, unexpected improvement though is the Tizen UI. It was garbage on my old tv, really slick on this one. Even recognizes Canadian stuff.

300 is on 1080p cable and is blowing my mind. And that's like early HD era. I think even my wife will appreciate this and she thinks I'm insane for caring about 4K.

That's 1080p. Now I gotta set up my stupid harmony remote again. God loving poo poo I hate that thing (until it works)

People who care about 4k are broken.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
If nothing else, my new display is a vast improvement over my Toshiba display.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

veni veni veni posted:

I love your cell phone pics of tvs from like 10 feet away. :v:

Thanks, good thing I post a lot of them!

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

People who care about 4k are broken.

Your eyes may be broken.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Thanks, good thing I post a lot of them!

Your eyes may be broken.

My tv is made of braille.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Get a demo of 8K media on an 8K display if you get the chance, your brain might end up broken.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I would have guessed glass, to fit the rest of the decor.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

MrLonghair posted:

Get a demo of 8K media on an 8K display if you get the chance, your brain might end up broken.

8k consumer stuff is a dumb as poo poo idea.

Unless you've got a screen literally hundreds of inches

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I play games on a 19" crt tv covered in dried slurpee and cum

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

My 1080i Sony from 2008 shows Bloodborne just fine :getin:

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

Just platinum'd watch doggies. :stare: Only time other than Infamous Second Son and Telltale "platinum when you finish the game" types. Good stuff

How did you get the DeadSec Events to pop? I'm assuming while in co-op or something, but I can't get them to even show more than once every few hours. One of the Gang is the only Trophy I have left and I want to move on to Dishonored.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

ill get 4 k when its cheap until then i will laugh at those $999 'deals'

you can't take that away from me, not on trump tuesday or black friday or any other day

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

SamBishop posted:

How did you get the DeadSec Events to pop? I'm assuming while in co-op or something, but I can't get them to even show more than once every few hours. One of the Gang is the only Trophy I have left and I want to move on to Dishonored.

Just go to Multiplayer, click Co-Op, it'll typically launch you with a person doing a DeadSec event.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

SamBishop posted:

They just started appearing like crazy as I got to the end of the main story. Might be coincidence.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

numerrik posted:

I'd prefer third person

Mafia III is a third-person open world game where you can take over the city block by block, parcel out territory to your underbosses, and upgrade your holdings a la AC4

Nomadic Scholar posted:

Is the PSPro worth it if you dont have a 4k tv? Or would it be better to grab a vanilla PS4?

From what I've been reading, if you don't have 4K TV, you'd be better off getting a regular PS4 and spending the extra $100 on games

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Nov 26, 2016

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

Is the PSPro worth it if you dont have a 4k tv? Or would it be better to grab a vanilla PS4?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Nomadic Scholar posted:

If you wont miss the money and want faster loading and various other perks on a game by game basis go pro. If that hundo is gonna keep you from buying games, dont get it

I personally like the 1080p remote play features and unlocked fps modes a couple games have now

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I got a 32 inch 1080p viewsonic for like 75 bucks at a recycled computers place because it has no stand.

I stared at the 55 inch 1080 at best buy but I didnt want to wait in line.

SamuraiPaul
Oct 9, 2005

Blowin' up da moon.

Inspector Hound posted:

What game broke you so badly you invert the cameras x axis?

I don't know what game broke me into liking invert x. Could have been Jak and Daxter or it could have been Super Mario Sunshine(I think I could invert x in that.) or Beyond Good and Evil. Or it could have been from operating an ancient piece of technology called a tripod.

I might buy Hitman instead of Titanfall 2 just because of the invert x option. Invert X, in my mind, is superior to all framerates and control schemes and other asinine bullshit reasons for hating a video game. It is literally the only thing I care about in a 3D video game; first person or third (that doesn't have a fixed camera). I played a lot of games that don't let me have my way on PS3 and 4 but since this year I have decided to stop buying games that don't give me the options I want.

I've missed a lot of good games this year (Doom, Dishonored 2, Battlefied I guess, those other two I mentioned) but I'm happier playing games the way I like to without buying some xim adapter bullshit. For whatever reason Overwatch added the option in their game post release so I bought it. I've not played it much but it is pretty fun.

Lol- this was supposed to be a new post but whatever there's no reason to bump the thread for this.

SamuraiPaul fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Nov 26, 2016

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

SamuraiPaul posted:

CharlieFoxTrot can you answer me these questions. Does Hitman let me invert the x and y camera axis together or just the y axis like all the other bum-rear end games this year?

Also does Knack have a fixed camera or can I apply my wacky controls to it too?

What game broke you so badly you invert the cameras x axis?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

SamuraiPaul posted:

CharlieFoxTrot can you answer me these questions. Does Hitman let me invert the x and y camera axis together or just the y axis like all the other bum-rear end games this year?

Also does Knack have a fixed camera or can I apply my wacky controls to it too?

:eng101: Hitman does have X-axis inversion, I just checked.

Also Knack uses a fixed camera so you know you always have the best perspective on the action :)

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

ethanol posted:

ill get 4 k when its cheap until then i will laugh at those $999 'deals'

you can't take that away from me, not on trump tuesday or black friday or any other day

There is no real reason to rush anyway unless you have money to burn. A lot of the cheaper sets have poo poo response time and poor HDR compatibility. 4K is the future, but right now it is not compelling at all unless you are the kind of person who pixel peeps and/or has to have the cutting edge.

Guw
Jan 10, 2013

Nomadic Scholar posted:

Downsampling 4K to 1080, while not huge, does look pretty nice. It's essentially an anti-aliasing method. You can definitely tell when you switch back and forth in Tomb Raider.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Unlucky7 posted:

does the empty pattern look like eight boxes in two lines with diagonal slashes through it or more of a hex like the others?

if its a hex just move around more and look at where it might reflect when the water is in the middle of changing

if its two rows of boxes then just go look up the solution. the reflection code is buggy and that ones not even solvable on all level of lighting detail settings and became solvable for me after i reloaded the game several times

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

zolthorg posted:

does the empty pattern look like eight boxes in two lines with diagonal slashes through it or more of a hex like the others?

if its a hex just move around more and look at where it might reflect when the water is in the middle of changing

if its two rows of boxes then just go look up the solution. the reflection code is buggy and that ones not even solvable on all level of lighting detail settings and became solvable for me after i reloaded the game several times

Is that really a bug, like I only saw part of the reflection but it was enough to reduce the possible solutions to like 5 and I was able to brute force the answer. There have been a couple of puzzles that were like that so I thought it was normal

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Quantum of Phallus posted:

my autism meter is off the charts

We've reached peak autism: Bloodborne-themed ASMR roleplay.

MorgaineDax posted:

I got to him pouring me the glass of ketchup and I had to tap out.

Uhh, it's Clamato juice. Duh.

:goonsay:

I seem to have run into an issue. I'm just outside the door to the Vic Amelia fight, and I can't use any of my bells. Small resonating, nope, beckoning, nope. I have 16 insight, I'm online, and I just don't know.

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Nov 26, 2016

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Is that really a bug, like I only saw part of the reflection but it was enough to reduce the possible solutions to like 5 and I was able to brute force the answer. There have been a couple of puzzles that were like that so I thought it was normal

the last part was in the corner by the door (a spot i had checked along with all of the walkable space literally like seven times) out but yeah only after loving w detail settings and rebooting the game a few times on pc

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Well, in any case, I just managed to get through it and complete the area. The game has my interest again so I may as well go through it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

lite_sleepr posted:

We've reached peak autism: Bloodborne-themed ASMR roleplay.

Uhh, it's Clamato juice. Duh.

:goonsay:

I seem to have run into an issue. I'm just outside the door to the Vic Amelia fight, and I can't use any of my bells. Small resonating, nope, beckoning, nope. I have 16 insight, I'm online, and I just don't know.

This sounds weird but make sure you've pulled all the levers to open up all the gates?

• Locked thread