Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Jimbot posted:

Did people actually call the Super Nintendo the "Super NES" or was that just the XTREME 90's bullshit we look back on with confusion and shame? SNES or Super Nintendo is all I ever heard.
I absolutely called it the "Super N-E-S" (important to say the acronym, it's not a "Ness") but probably more commonly just called it the "Super Nintendo".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Sness. Just as is spelled. NES was pronounced by my friends and I just like that Earthbound character's name, Nes. SNES just had an "s" sound in front.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

we said super nintendo or S.N.E.S or super NES. I never heard it called "snez" at any point when I was a kid

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

SwissCM posted:

Dreamcast homebrew holds a special place in my heart. Making things work was all voodoo, I used Nero Burning Rom as DiscJuggler didn't work on my drive and most guides and releases used the latter, so I had to do a lot of converting and merging of files and all sorts of stuff to get things working.

Running Master System games on it was pretty sweet though.

I was pretty blown away playing VCDs ~*ON A CONSOLE*~.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

d0s posted:

we said super nintendo or S.N.E.S or super NES. I never heard it called "snez" at any point when I was a kid

these are the only correct ways to say it and if you pronounce "snes" as a word you're a monster

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future

checksin posted:

i met nicholas picholas at a bar once and watched his entire body sigh when someone asked him if that was his real name

That's awesome! I got to be on the show when I was a kid around 1995. My dad worked vaguely in the TV industry and had a hook up. We were playing Donkey Kong Land but for some reason my Gameboy player was defective and they had to make it look like I was playing when they edited the episode.
My dad complained though and they gave me a free copy of Kirby's Dreamland 2 which I played the poo poo out of.
I should look for the tape of the episode when I'm home for Christmas.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

beaver_cheese posted:

I might be able to top that for the best thing you've heard all day.

If you happen to be in Toronto tonight, you too can ask him if it's his real name. I'm going to check it out.

https://www.facebook.com/events/917292261704226/

Actually, it was a friend posting on fb about going to this very event that prompted me to look up old episodes and subsequently post them here.

Also, is that Venezuelan Beaver Cheese? :colbert:

Also also, I forgot how much I used to love Nick's co-host, Krista :swoon:

WaitsUp
Sep 19, 2005
I used to be a deli sandwich
Used to watch Top 10 all the time, the prizes were never great, and you never saw much game footage, but man was it addictive.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

When I heard the cohost say "Vay-darr" for Vader, I had to turn it off. I almost lost it at the dude who gave the Illusion of Gaia tips because he sounded like Randal from Clerks.

I still can't understand how I put up with Captain N's "interpretation" of Simon Belmont, so feel free to judge me.

Also, count me in for "Super N-E-S/Ess-Enn-Ee-Ess." My rule is: if the acronym spells a word, you can use the word. An acronym doesn't create a word just because you can fudge the pronunciation to be lazy.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
S. N. E. S.

But most people in the neighborhood only had one console, so a lot of the time we just said 'games'.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

I still can't understand how I put up with Captain N's "interpretation" of Simon Belmont, so feel free to judge me.

In Captain N's world being cursed by Dracula just turns you into a dick.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
super intendo

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

WaitsUp posted:

Used to watch Top 10 all the time, the prizes were never great, and you never saw much game footage, but man was it addictive.

I really loved how often kids would write in letters talking about how much they love their Nintendo when the prize they were sending out to writers that week was Sega

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

d0s posted:

Ditto for me and my friends growing up. Actually saying "snezz" feels weird and wrong.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

So who wants an LA Gardina Book Off trip report?

Well, tough. I'm telling you anyway.

Last time I went to this location they had a dozen pre-PS2 games. This time things were improved a lot. I wouldn't call it a retrogaming store, but they had enough stuff that I had to dig through things. For console carts, there were a couple of dozen boxed things and a few loose carts. Most of it was Japanese game store left overs but I got a few things. There was a good selection of PS1 and a ton of PS2. The real magic, however, was in the portable games as there was a metric poo poo ton of stuff for portable systems and it was cheap.

Still, what you could get was spotty. I looked for a few of my stalwarts that I'm always on the prowl for and didn't find them. OTOH, I did get a few games I had been wanting for a while and one that I had to get because it sounded nuts.

Oh, and there was a 20% off black Friday sale! :dance: On everything except video games. :smith:

Here's my haul:

Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan (DS) - Finally a copy of my own. Now I just need the sequel.
Kotoba no Puzzle Mojipittan Advance (GBA) - Part of a weird series of Japanese word games that I am apparently collecting.
Machi (PS1) - The visual novel that Japanese nerds voted the fifth best video game of all time. I am going to work on my Japanese until I can finally understand why.
Goemon 64 - A boxed copy for a few bucks.
Kachou Kousaku Shima (SFC) - A visual novel that the box assures me is "The Super Business Adventure". How I could resist for a few bucks.

I passed on the Pepsiman action figure even though it was $32 after discount. However, if anyone wants to buy it for me for Christmas... :v:

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
I think Nez and Snezz were a European thing, maybe specifically British. The only person I've ever personally known who called them that is British, anyway.

I'm at work so I can't access YouTube, but pretend I linked that prank call video with the guy calling a game store and asking if they had any Puss-threes or Puss-pees.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rollersnake posted:

I think Nez and Snezz were a European thing, maybe specifically British. The only person I've ever personally known who called them that is British, anyway.

Makes sense, seeing as they're a country that somehow thinks "Jezza" is a good and rational shortened form of Jeremy.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Cindy Shitbird posted:

Makes sense, seeing as they're a country that somehow thinks "Jezza" is a good and rational shortened form of Jeremy.

See also: Ninty and Shigsy which Nintendo Official Magazine UK used constantly.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Rollersnake posted:

I think Nez and Snezz were a European thing, maybe specifically British

I'm pretty sure "shmup" is also a british thing, they're disgraceful

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
Shmups is an everywhere thing, I've heard that in the US ever since I was aware enough to categorize games into specific genres beyond RPG, Action, etc. I use a bunch of terms for the SNES and NES depending, but I've never heard anyone say that last "s" as a "z" sound and I don't know why they would.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
I can't believe that all british people call fighting games "button bashers"

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

d0s posted:

I'm pretty sure "shmup" is also a british thing, they're disgraceful

I never heard the term shmup until I listened to American podcasts. We called them shooters.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

I still laugh every time I think about whatever Aussie thought it was a good idea to pronounce Sega as "SEE-guh".

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cindy Shitbird posted:

Excuse me, that's clearly Australian slang and I'll thank you not to use it without a minimum of three beers inside you. :colbert:.

checksin
Nov 23, 2006

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...

I still laugh every time I think about whatever Aussie thought it was a good idea to pronounce Sega as "SEE-guh".

Sonic 2 opens with a guide on how to say sega

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

loving Siri always thinks I want to know about Bob Seger. The Seger Saturn.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

loving Siri always thinks I want to know about Bob Seger. The Seger Saturn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyZKmElt9u4

------------------------------

You know what non-HD game still looks real good on an HDTV? Rhythm Heaven Fever

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

checksin posted:

Sonic 2 opens with a guide on how to say sega

Sonic 1 did it first

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Sega Australia put out "it's pronounced say-gah" shirts at one point.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

njsykora posted:

I never heard the term shmup until I listened to American podcasts. We called them shooters.

what I heard is that it was coined by the wacky british game magazines of the 80's

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

shmup sounds like a fancy name for mashed potatoes with peas.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

d0s posted:

what I heard is that it was coined by the wacky british game magazines of the 80's

Maybe, it certainly wasn't around when I was reading NOM and PC Zone in the 90s.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

d0s posted:

completely this

I literally never heard it called the "sness" or "snez" until the era of youtube, at which point I polled the people I was chatting with on IRC and they all apparently said that poo poo back in the day, and they're Americans. They responded to me like I was insane. So I have no loving clue.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Super Nuhtendo.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Over here in Finland people said either "Super Nintendo" or "snes" or "snessi". (same kind of convention applies to the NES, just remove the first "S")

I've always thought saying the Es-En-Ee-Es must be a pronunciation for those who speak english as their native language but reading some comments here I'm not so sure anymore.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

TeaJay posted:

Over here in Finland people said either "Super Nintendo" or "snes" or "snessi". (same kind of convention applies to the NES, just remove the first "S")

I've always thought saying the Es-En-Ee-Es must be a pronunciation for those who speak english as their native language but reading some comments here I'm not so sure anymore.

those people are bad and wrong and it is completely the essenneeess

legooolas
Jul 30, 2004

Improbable Lobster posted:

I can't believe that all british people call fighting games "button bashers"

That's reserved for terrible fighting games which reward just mashing buttons randomly.

Edit:

quote:

ROM set sorting/fixing with Good Tools

Isn't the entire point of the No-Intro sets to trim the list down to only the best copies of games, making it easier to search? Or would you want some of the hacked/beta/whatever versions still?

legooolas fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Nov 26, 2016

Stumiester
Dec 3, 2004

"Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."
I'm British and it was the "nezz" and "snezz" for me. Why waste time saying all those syllables when you could be playing games?!

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Stumiester posted:

I'm British and it was the "nezz" and "snezz" for me. Why waste time saying all those syllables when you could be playing games?!

Where does the "Z" come from though? I don't understand. Is this some sort of rhyming slang tomfoolery?

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

oi mate do ya fancy a shmup on the telly shall we play the speccy or the snezzy oh bugger a chav nicked me mobile arse bollocks put another shrimp on the barbie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Feh, typical yank, can't even make fun of other countries properly :rolleyes:.

I mean, you didn't even mention popping down th' local chippy! Or Big Ben!

• Locked thread