Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAROL
Oct 29, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

peer posted:

Bi people & non-assholes might

Im bi but seriously who gives a poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
Well uh lots of people think representation in media matters? If it doesn't matter to you, cool, but that doesn't mean everyone who cares is wrong

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Male bi characters are pretty rare and people like representation.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Especially because most of they time they're portrayed as duplicitous sleazeballs.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Coffee And Pie posted:

Especially because most of they time they're portrayed as duplicitous sleazeballs.

.........so Constantine is a break from the pattern how?

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

bunnyofdoom posted:

.........so Constantine is a break from the pattern how?

He's not straight up a villain? Or a comedic pervert like The Todd?

Tears for Fears
Aug 26, 2005

by Smythe

peer posted:

Well uh lots of people think representation in media matters? If it doesn't matter to you, cool, but that doesn't mean everyone who cares is wrong

Grow the hell up.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted

Tears for Fears posted:

Grow the hell up.

:waycool:

Savage Shulkie
May 13, 2009

Ogon’ po gotovnosti!

Tears for Fears posted:

Grow the hell up.

Trump's America! :911:

But seriously Why even start this argument?

CAROL
Oct 29, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Well in my defense I have brain damage

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Tears for Fears posted:

Grow the hell up.

Fears of Gears... Tears of Pears or something or vice versa?

There's a joke to be made about this guy being an idiot who plays gears of war but ive burnt all my creative energy making awesomely silly comments during a family movie

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Tears for Fears posted:

Grow the hell up.

lol

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Did Johns sexuality even come up in the movie? I only saw it once but I don't remember it being a thing.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Len posted:

Did Johns sexuality even come up in the movie? I only saw it once but I don't remember it being a thing.

Pretty sure he's straight. We're talking about Pitch Black right?

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

Len posted:

In Constantine? He and Rachel Weisz's character flirted, but they didn't end up together, and they didn't even kiss, though she kinda went in for one.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Tears for Fears posted:

Grow the hell up.

:ironicat:

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I'm pretty sure John Constantine rear end in a top hat had freaky bee sex with his bee friend Beeman.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Beeman is the guy with the bees and stuff for those who are unaware

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

oldpainless posted:

Beeman is the guy with the bees and stuff for those who are unaware

What the fu how does that make sense? I wish they'd name the heroes & villains more aptly.

Like Honeydude, or Sugarfam. That's what's in the hives you know? Oh! HiveClive, that's a name for the bee-villain

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Eh! Frank posted:

In Constantine? He and Rachel Weisz's character flirted, but they didn't end up together, and they didn't even kiss, though she kinda went in for one.

So his sexuality isn't important and goons are yelling at each other for no reason

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Len posted:

So his sexuality isn't important and goons are yelling at each other for no reason

goons will yell at each other always & forever ~ nous sommes les chanteurs :o:

but also theyre talkin about a comic book, so the movie isn't evidence lol

anyway, i too have noticed that bisexuals in books & movies & tv are usually sleazy scumbags. Their bisexuality is like the emphasis of their gross heartlessness. its super weird how common that is, like i cant believe that all script writers have been scorned by a bisexual person?

Carthag Tuek has a new favorite as of 04:46 on Nov 26, 2016

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 28 hours!
I just realized the most positive portrayal of a bisexual I've seen in TV or movies is Jack Harkness from Doctor Who and Torchwood. Guy is... still really sleazy, but at least he's generally a good person.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Cleretic posted:

I just realized the most positive portrayal of a bisexual I've seen in TV or movies is Jack Harkness from Doctor Who and Torchwood. Guy is... still really sleazy, but at least he's generally a good person.

From what I remember of Torchwood, most of the characters were bi and probably better people than Jack?

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Baron Corbyn posted:

From what I remember of Torchwood, most of the characters were bi and probably better people than Jack?

From what I remember of Torchwood, most of the characters were dickheads so its splitting hairs that Jack was worse. When he was on Dr Who though his character wasn't so much bi as that he was from humanity's "gently caress anything with a pulse" era.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
So, basically he was the Kirk of Dr. Who?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Inzombiac posted:

The comic version is more snarky and loves to show how much smarter he is than everyone (like a supernatural Sherlock). He's a good character but it can be grating.

Its supposed to be grating. In Dangerous Habits for example he does trick the lords of hell but afterwards he realizes that he almost kickstarted armageddon to save his own lovely life and then his cancerous friend dies because he doesn't have the means to bargain with demons.

Jerusalem posted:

I
Apart from the moment where John gets saved and flips off the devil as he goes, that was pure, perfect Constantine :allears:

And then he opens a package of nicotine gum...

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Alhazred posted:

And then he opens a package of nicotine gum...

Don't remind me :sigh:

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

So, basically he was the Kirk of Dr. Who?

I'm no Trek-ologist but didn't Kirk just go for the ladies?

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Powaqoatse posted:

What the fu how does that make sense? I wish they'd name the heroes & villains more aptly.

Like Honeydude, or Sugarfam. That's what's in the hives you know? Oh! HiveClive, that's a name for the bee-villain

Hive Owens come on

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
One thing I always like in shows and movies is when they play by the "Actions speak louder than words" rule, by having a character imply something but plainly showing the statement/implication to be false. An example is in the famous intro to Fresh Prince of Bel Aire - Will states that he "Got in one little fight..." implying that it was a two way struggle, but the choreography exposes the lie here - he doesn't "Get in a fight" he is huddled in the foetal position the entire time - he didn't get in a fight, he got badly beaten up - who known just how bad he must have looked for his mother to think sending him to his uncles house was not an unreasonable course of action - Will is plainly not part of a wealthy family, and looking at a map, he lives as far from West LA as possible without also going north. - an East Philadelphia-to-Bel Air route literally bisects a map of the us - that Taxi fare cannot have been cheap. I think we can assume as hospital visit may have been involved for her to think spending that kind of money getting him as far away from her a possible was a worthwhile investment.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Accidental doublepost

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

There's a verse cut from the theme song about a flight.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Aphrodite posted:

There's a verse cut from the theme song about a flight.

He drank orange juice out of a champagne glass

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Len posted:

He drank orange juice out of a champagne glass

Forgot about the flight, but the point still stands - that couldn't have been cheap. There must have been a drat good reason she spent all that money.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Never says she spent any money. Uncle Phil could have ponied up.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Joey Freshwater posted:

Never says she spent any money. Uncle Phil could have ponied up.

Yeah, Uncle Phil's a millionaire (or close to it, at any rate.) I'm pretty sure the plane ticket and cab fare were a pittance to him.

It does raise the question, though, of why he made Will take a cruddy cab from the airport to Bel-Air in the first place. You'd think he'd send Jeffrey to pick him up or something.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I distinctly remember a man waiting at the airport to pick him up (had a sign with his name and everything), but he didn't understand that so he got a cab.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
If only there were some sort of website we could go to that shows the original intro it would solve all of our problems! Oh well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nCqRmx3Dnw

No man with sign, but he does mention being in first class and makes a comment about it being how people in Bel Aire do it, so I feel like that's proof enough that Uncle Phil bought the ticket.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Joey Freshwater posted:

If only there were some sort of website we could go to that shows the original intro it would solve all of our problems! Oh well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nCqRmx3Dnw

No man with sign, but he does mention being in first class and makes a comment about it being how people in Bel Aire do it, so I feel like that's proof enough that Uncle Phil bought the ticket.

It's missing a verse and all the lyric websites are making my phone flip poo poo with ads

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Len posted:

It's missing a verse and all the lyric websites are making my phone flip poo poo with ads

Here you go, you're right:

quote:

"Fresh Prince Of Bel-Air (Theme Song)"

Now this is a story all about how
My life got flipped-turned upside down
And I'd like to take a minute
Just sit right there
I'll tell you how I became the prince of a town called Bel-Air

In west Philadelphia born and raised
On the playground was where I spent most of my days
Chillin' out maxin' relaxin' all cool
And all shooting some b-ball outside of the school
When a couple of guys who were up to no good
Started making trouble in my neighborhood
I got in one little fight and my mom got scared
She said, "You're movin' with your auntie and uncle in Bel-Air."

I begged and pleaded with her day after day
But she packed my suitcase and sent me on my way
She gave me a kiss and then she gave me my ticket.
I put my Walkman on and said, "I might as well kick it."

First class, yo, this is bad
Drinking orange juice out of a champagne glass.
Is this what the people of Bel-Air living like?
Hmm, this might be alright.

But wait I hear they're prissy, bourgeois, all that
Is this the type of place that they just send this cool cat?
I don't think so
I'll see when I get there
I hope they're prepared for the prince of Bel-Air

Well, the plane landed and when I came out
There was a dude who looked like a cop standing there with my name out
I ain't trying to get arrested yet
I just got here
I sprang with the quickness like lightning, disappeared

I whistled for a cab and when it came near
The license plate said "Fresh" and it had dice in the mirror
If anything I could say that this cab was rare
But I thought, "Nah, forget it."