Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

What are you guys using as your False Swiper/Pokemon catcher? I just realized False Swipe has poo poo distribution and the Fearow I've been using is loving garbage. He doesn't even get status moves. I appreciate any help because I'm sure the postgame catching situation is gonna be much harder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Txn posted:

How are you supposed to get a Galvanize Geodude when every single one explodes?

geodude has a really high catch rate naturally, so just use a quick ball

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

What are you guys using as your False Swiper/Pokemon catcher? I just realized False Swipe has poo poo distribution and the Fearow I've been using is loving garbage. He doesn't even get status moves. I appreciate any help because I'm sure the postgame catching situation is gonna be much harder.

Munchlax

that ivy guy posted:

Does anyone know if Synchronize works on SOS encounters if the Synchronizer is no longer in battle? I think Cute Charm worked this way, but I'm not quite sure

^ for the next page viewers

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
or a regular pokeball that's worked for me at full health on things before

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

That Old Ganon posted:

2380-3485-3206

Please accept a mystery egg.

I resent this.

Ready when you are. Also it's in a dive ball for max aesthetics.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Two related questions:

1) Can you get to every other egg group from Field, or are some walled off in their own little closed graph?

2) If you breed non-Ditto mons of two different species, it's a coin flip which ball gets passed down, right?

(The reason is Smeargle + Beast Ball.)

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Blaziken386 posted:

How do you level up the shops? Because I've got a Green shop and a Red shop both at 1 star.

You find a guest with a higher level one :v: Presumably, you can get higher level shops from Sophocles but all he's ever given me is Thump Bump Park★ and Big Dreams★ over and over for 20 levels. Literally nothing of worth and all stuff I started with.

So uh, enjoy spending literal hours going through textboxes and asking people if they have the thing you want. Also, keep a ton of FC on hand (rank two costs 400, rank 4 costs like 1500) because 90% of the time the game won't let you VIP them (Registration failed.) and they'll be gone by the time you actually get the FC.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Two related questions:

1) Can you get to every other egg group from Field, or are some walled off in their own little closed graph?

2) If you breed non-Ditto mons of two different species, it's a coin flip which ball gets passed down, right?

If you breed 2 different species, mother always passes down the ball. If you breed 2 of the same species, it's a coin toss. Anything + Ditto will pass the ball down.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Your Computer posted:

You find a guest with a higher level one :v: Presumably, you can get higher level shops from Sophocles but all he's ever given me is Thump Bump Park★ and Big Dreams★ over and over for 20 levels. Literally nothing of worth and all stuff I started with.

So uh, enjoy spending literal hours going through textboxes and asking people if they have the thing you want. Also, keep a ton of FC on hand (rank two costs 400, rank 4 costs like 1500) because 90% of the time the game won't let you VIP them (Registration failed.) and they'll be gone by the time you actually get the FC.
You can indeed get higher level shops directly from Sophocles - I'm only level 12 and I have a ** Friendship Cafe that he offered me when I was single-digit levels.

edit: fuuuuuck this means I can't just Beast Ball Smeargle and chain breed it forever for every egg move and every mon in a beast ball :(

edit2: wait, someone else disagrees! I'll look it up or test it or something

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Two related questions:

1. You can get to any egg group from any other, but not every egg move has this property. For example, unless something has changed in Gen 7, Scyther only gets Defog as an egg move from other Scyther.

2. It's a coin flip if they're the same species, but I'm not sure otherwise.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Your Computer posted:

Wow, Gamefreak is just :downs: personified when it comes to online features, aren't they?

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

ROFL Octopus posted:

Ready when you are. Also it's in a dive ball for max aesthetics.
I forgot to mention that I'm "Gwyn" ingame.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Blaziken386 posted:

Wow, Gamefreak is just :downs: personified when it comes to online features, aren't they?

Wonder Trade is amazing, but I think that's the only online feature they've done right :v:

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

ROFL Octopus posted:

Alright I'm ready when you are.

Also I'm pretty much done passing these things out. If you want one now then let me know or if you were asleep or whatever when I finished then PM me or something I guess but I have to go finish the game and start training up my dudes now. :smith:

thanks b

I'm finishing up the elite 4 now

Mimikyu has swept two of them by itself and then died to drifblim's aftermath

also lol at the last member

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

That Old Ganon posted:

I forgot to mention that I'm "Gwyn" ingame.

Gotcha, send me a req when you're ready

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

mandatory lesbian posted:

or a regular pokeball that's worked for me at full health on things before

I know these games have drilled it into players head that you need to weaken a pokemon first, but I've been having some good luck just tossing out whatever ball and catching them at full health. Avoided the Magby dilemma a few have gone through this way.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Quick Balls are incredible.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

tyblazitar posted:

Vikavolt isn't even the coolest pokemon in its evolutionary line. Hint: it's Charjabug.

:yeah:

I love that goofy battery bus bug. He even beeps!

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

U welcome my dude, hope lil Mazerunner serves you well

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
does the guys have no good hats other than fedoras and generic caps?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Tired Moritz posted:

Clearly they know their audience. :grin:

e: for the record I think it's super dumb because everyone deserves fabulous fashion

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Nov 26, 2016

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

ROFL Octopus posted:

Gotcha, send me a req when you're ready
Thank you for the trade, I appreciate it.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

you've finally been set free from the tyranny of headwear

let your hair fly free, my friend

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

My shiny Parasect because it learns false swipe and spore. Not the best pokemon but I love Parasect and its too garbage to use online so I figured I'd use it ingame.

If you're just grinding EVs, then Decidueye is actually a pretty good pick. Grass makes it immune to some staus moves, ghost lets it not get hit by a lot of moves that will kill weakened pokemon like take down.

Tired Moritz posted:

Fashion in this game is kind of poo poo.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

That Old Ganon posted:

Thank you for the trade, I appreciate it.

No problemo man

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Blaziken386 posted:

How do you level up the shops? Because I've got a Green shop and a Red shop both at 1 star.

Standard Game Freak's "haha gently caress you because" RNG.

Heck, I'm completely sympathetic to why the Pokemon games attracted so much hacking because the above suck serious balls, pun intended.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

On a different note, I'm breeding Merciless Mareanies. Who wants one?

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
please age up the main characters in the obligatory sequel so I can be more fashionable

Beekeeping and You
Sep 27, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

Fashion in this game is kind of poo poo.

Not if you picked the girl trainer :smug:

also anyone else here a big fan of your boy guzma

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Blaziken386 posted:

On a different note, I'm breeding Merciless Mareanies. Who wants one?
I will also get in on this, I was about to start :v

2380-3485-3206
Gwyn

That Old Ganon fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Nov 26, 2016

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Tired Moritz posted:

please age up the main characters in the obligatory sequel so I can be more fashionable

but like Star Wars OT you need to have kids to appeal to kids

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
dont kids always want to be older? like how adults always want to be high school stundents

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Alxprit posted:

Quick Balls are incredible.

Amen. 90% of my pokedex is in one because gently caress SOS.

I wish Lurantis would learn a sleep or paralyze move. :(

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

:yeah:

I love that goofy battery bus bug. He even beeps!

I love the wiggle it does when you send it out :kimchi: it's gotta scoot into position.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm almost surprised they didn't jump on the hypewagon and make an ~open world~ Pokémon game where you can choose your trainer from the available models (Ace Trainer, Swimmer, Gentleman, etc.) :v:

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Your Computer posted:

I'm almost surprised they didn't jump on the hypewagon and make an ~open world~ Pokémon game where you can choose your trainer from the available models (Ace Trainer, Swimmer, Gentleman, etc.) :v:

I'm a Veteran in spirit :(

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
I just learned you need to have your Festival Plaza at rank 10 to buy shops from other players.

How does this mode keep getting worse? :negative:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

King of Solomon posted:

How does this mode keep getting worse? :negative:

Enjoy doing Type Matchup over and over :v:

You're not even constrained by the amount of type knowledge you have, you're constrained by how fast you can mash through textboxes!

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

That Old Ganon posted:

I will also get in on this, I was about to start :v

2380-3485-3206
Gwyn
By that do you mean you want one, or that you are also offering them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
The main thing about Battle Royal is that tanky is way better than fast. If you're fast, then at best you kill one guy and then get ganged up on by the other two. If you're tanky, then they'll completely ignore you and gang up on someone else. They'll always go for the OHKO kill if they can, so if you have a glass cannon on the field then you will always be the weakest link. As far as I can tell, the AI doesn't cheat against you at all, even on the highest levels; they just play strategically to win (and have better EVs, etc). You have to recognize what they'll do and try to predict it. If you can guess who they'll target and know that you're slower than them, you just target someone else and get a free kill.

Sometimes you'll just get unlucky with enemy types, but I feel like your stats matter significantly less in Royal than in the tree. You just have to know your enemy more than usual.